Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,265 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:34 AM

Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences (45663 Views)

Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms / 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist / 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by kingobozy: 11:02am On Aug 30, 2015
1. Actually

Crutch words are words that we slip into sentences in order to give ourselves more time to think, or to emphasize a statement. Over time, they become unconscious verbal tics. Most often, crutch words do not add meaning of a statement. Actually is the perfect example of a crutch word. It is meant to signify something that exists in reality, but it is more often used as a way to add punch to a statement (as in, "I actually have no idea"wink. The next word is one of the most chronically misused crutch words in English.

2. Literally

This adverb should be used to describe an action that occurs in a strict sense. Often, however, it is used inversely to emphasize a hyperbolic or figurative statement: "I literally ran 300 miles today." Literally is one of the most famously used crutch words in English. The next one, however, may surprise you.

3. Basically

This word is used to signal truth, simplicity, and confidence, like in "Basically, he made a bad decision." It should signify something that is fundamental or elementary, but too often this word is used in the context of things that are far from basic in order to create a sense of authority and finality.

4. Honestly

This crutch word is used to assert authority or express incredulity, as in, "Honestly, I have no idea why he said that." However, it very rarely adds honesty to a statement. The next crutch word is perhaps the most famous.

5. Like

The cardinal sinner of lazy words like is interspersed in dialogue to give a speaker more time to think or because the speaker cannot shake the habit of using the word. Like should describe something of the same form, appearance, kind, character, or amount. But, very often, it is used involuntarily in conversation, just like um.

6. Obviously

This word should signify an action which is readily observable, recognized, or understood. Speakers tend to use it, however, to emphasize their point with regards to things that aren't necessarily obvious: "Obviously he should have thrown the ball to first base."

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/slideshows/umwords#actually

47 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by kingobozy: 11:07am On Aug 30, 2015
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by andersyn: 11:11am On Aug 30, 2015
I will like it if there's someone on Nairaland who will help to summaries long post like this. Call me Lazy but we all fall victims of not reading long post most of the time. Persons like INTROVERT can help us with that.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by kingobozy: 11:25am On Aug 30, 2015
andersyn:
I will like it if there's someone on Nairaland who
will help to summaries long post like this. Call
me Lazy but we all fall victims of not reading
long post most of the time. Persons like INTROVERT can help us with that.

Dude its not that long. I see longer posts than this on a daily.

33 Likes

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Ben1975(m): 11:50am On Aug 30, 2015
lol

kingobozy:

Dude its not that long. I have seen longer posts than this on a daily.
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by kennynelcon(m): 1:26pm On Aug 30, 2015
These words become cliche when overused, and that's the major problem.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by BrightEye(m): 2:18pm On Aug 30, 2015
Am i the only that didn't get the op? How exactly do these words ruin ones sentences??

22 Likes

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 30, 2015
English is a borrowed language...without it, buhari and nigeria...i can stilll make it in life.

4 Likes

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by ThePeacemaker(m): 3:25pm On Aug 30, 2015
7--- Shebi 8--- Cani 9--- joor 10--- Oya...... LoL

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Adatob(m): 3:41pm On Aug 30, 2015
kkk
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 30, 2015
BrightEye:
Am i the only that didn't get the op? How exactly do these words ruin ones sentences??
that makes the both of us...I didn't either..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by WizyTechs: 4:20pm On Aug 30, 2015
undecided
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Nobody: 4:29pm On Aug 30, 2015
Actually, this is literally a very good way to basically find a way to honestly like the girl that obviously has a crush on you. 😸 (use the link in my signature below, it's real)

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by tolaxin(m): 4:51pm On Aug 30, 2015
ThePeacemaker:
7--- Shebi
8--- Cani
9--- joor
10--- Oya......
LoL
grin

3 Likes

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by litetias(m): 5:37pm On Aug 30, 2015
English hard ooo.

Very affordable 3 bedroom, 2 bedroom and self-contain apartments in conducive environs in Warri is available for rent.

Just 1 yr upfront payment (Instead of the 2 years most landlords collect).

Contact me via my signature
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Maxun: 5:57pm On Aug 30, 2015
Pls i nid information sunshine high sch ibadan current salary structure for graduate
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by emeka94(m): 6:13pm On Aug 30, 2015
You forgot to add the most senseless phrase "as in" also pronounced as "azz en" by my anambra brothers

Customize your bulk USB flash drive at cheap rates. Check my signature for details

5 Likes

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by johnchukky: 6:17pm On Aug 30, 2015
in case it makes front page

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Doughyeenbae(f): 6:44pm On Aug 30, 2015
The op should state how it should be used correctly or.....

2 Likes

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Doughyeenbae(f): 6:46pm On Aug 30, 2015
Maxun:
Pls i nid information sunshine high sch ibadan current salary structure for graduate
Five thousand naira only.... Lol...
angry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by G12(m): 6:46pm On Aug 30, 2015
I can see that the future of this thread is bright. So make I comment my reserve here just in case... All work and no play...
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by nuelsilva(m): 7:18pm On Aug 30, 2015
wow educative. first day on nairaland. hw many likes 4 me

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by maputohq: 7:24pm On Aug 30, 2015
I Waz Lik Gerarahere,but he actually stood literally watching me.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by hatux: 7:27pm On Aug 30, 2015
Wow shocked! Educating!

2 Likes

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by tunwumi: 8:33pm On Aug 30, 2015
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Tobbey(m): 8:33pm On Aug 30, 2015
Good

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Dottore: 8:34pm On Aug 30, 2015
Grammer 101

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by proxitaly: 8:34pm On Aug 30, 2015
Actually I honestly implore you to look literally at my signature. Basically I know you will obviously like it.

3 Likes

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Shaadey: 8:34pm On Aug 30, 2015
No mind us jare.....
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Aikon: 8:34pm On Aug 30, 2015
'As in'
'Oya'
'normally' etc.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 30, 2015
Smh, op u try sha but...

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Mznaett: 8:35pm On Aug 30, 2015
Abeg, na who english don help sef?undecided

Quote me @ur own risktongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

WORST Waec Result 2017 Found By Us (Photo) / Secondary School Boys Excited As They Go On Suspension (Photo) / First Class Graduate Who Wrote JAMB Six Times, Dies Few Days After NYSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.