Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,782 members, 7,802,425 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:13 PM

Banking Career Progression And When To Quit - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Banking Career Progression And When To Quit (12909 Views)

Lagos Stops Promotion Based On Career Progression, Reveals New Criterion (MUST R / An Investment Banking Career: A Thread for Questions, Advice & Vacancies / Please Somebody Should Help. This May Affect My Career Progression. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by slydog(m): 6:14pm On Aug 30, 2015
This thread is for resilient bankers who enjoy promotion and moved from one bank to another in search of career growth so we can share experiences and advises to young bankers.

Despite the fact that people see banking as a job without security, some people are making it big time, enjoying up to three promotions in year, yes three.

I work in a first generation bank where I've seen people who work for 30 years and received promoting three times in 30years. Today we have banker jumping from bank to bank getting next levels.

Bankers, come and share your experiences.

3 Likes

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by frankay430(m): 6:22pm On Aug 30, 2015
am nt a banker
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by unofficial(m): 11:20pm On Aug 30, 2015
I do not like banking sad
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by Nobody: 9:38am On Aug 31, 2015
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by Aucun(m): 3:08pm On Mar 02, 2017
saved, till when I join you guys
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by HAH: 7:26am On Mar 07, 2017
Banking hmmn, my only advice to bankers is always have an exit plan.

Not everyone will AGM Gm etc, at a time a level will be saturated and rationalisation becomes inevitable, those that will survive are super performers, ass lickers, and owners family.

Banking is a good foundation for for young person as it will teach you resilience, know when to say is ok and please save save and save.

To your question on when to throw in the towel when you stay for about 4 years without promotion or any new challenge unless you are no ambitious

By the way I was a banker and now a proud entrepreneur

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by lonelydora: 7:26am On Mar 07, 2017
Today is my birthday

10 Likes

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by SexyNairalander: 7:26am On Mar 07, 2017
booked

1 Like

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by IMASTEX: 7:27am On Mar 07, 2017
Banking= Job insecurity and time consuming.
I like my snail farming business: The product is always in demand, flexibility of time to share sweet moment with family and the space for new things, nearly zero market competition, relaxed source of income, etc. See my profile for details.

+2348053363999
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by babyfaceafrica: 7:27am On Mar 07, 2017
Hmmmm..some people work from 7am to 9pm for 39 yrs and expect to live long?
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by Taqsit(f): 7:27am On Mar 07, 2017
2015?
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by balancediet(m): 7:29am On Mar 07, 2017
The Best place to start career is in The Bank. They Dont Owe salary, train you to be smart and to think strategically a quality that Will remain with you and help in your own bussines in later years.With time though you May change career to something with less pressure.

26 Likes

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by Godmother(f): 7:29am On Mar 07, 2017
How did this thread make it to frontpage with such replies? Not one answers the OP's question.
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by Flexherbal(m): 7:31am On Mar 07, 2017
Godmother:
How did this thread make it to frontpage with such replies? Not one answers the OP's question.
Answers will come , soon.
Just be patient.
I trust Nairaland.
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by eitsei(m): 7:32am On Mar 07, 2017
Godmother:
they want people to answer that's it's brought on the front page

1 Like

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by kelechiodo(m): 7:32am On Mar 07, 2017
Godmother:
I wonder o o
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by martooski(m): 7:32am On Mar 07, 2017
Am like a Junior banker, with 4 years Micro-finance experience. desperately seeking alternatives to my current one
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by icon8: 7:36am On Mar 07, 2017
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by cbngov01(m): 7:37am On Mar 07, 2017
wink

I don't think OP is stating facts!

*3promotions in a FY! Who makes the provisioning?or don't u know there are cost implications?
*on a position for 20years?!fear God OP!its one of two things, u either have an issue or u have reaches the grade CAP for ur current position.advise such a one to move to marketing.
*finally OP, banking is all about performance! If u in a place and u r constantly performing, u move up sharply
NB:I have a cousin who moved from one bank to anoda, spent two years and came back on the SAME GRADE
Be ur BEST where u find itself.be EPIC. Goodluck to u in ur career

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by icon8: 7:37am On Mar 07, 2017
slydog:

Despite the fact that people see banking as a job without security, some people are making it big time, enjoying up to three promotions in year, yes three.

OP, mind shedding some light on the bolded?

1 Like

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by maidaddy: 7:42am On Mar 07, 2017
I don't care, banking job is modern slavery, especially to the first level entries.
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by PetrePan(m): 7:49am On Mar 07, 2017
Thread since 2015?..you will surely get there with persistence,just dont give up...wetin mod dey think since all these years

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by sakalisis(m): 7:50am On Mar 07, 2017
Yup
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by Benjom(m): 7:54am On Mar 07, 2017
That sub-sector used to be good in those days but not now.
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by Masta2: 7:56am On Mar 07, 2017
I worked in several Banks over the course of 13 years. I started as teller (Cashier) and worked my way to HOP before my exit. It is an industry that rewards hard-work irrespective of your background. However, they place a premium on integrity. If you don't have it, please exit the system or it will deal with you. You earn comparatively well but in the moment. Meaning compensation is structured not for your long term benefit but to make an exit quick and less costly to them.

When to quit? There is no determined point just like any other career. There are also no guarantees. My best guess would be when your heart tells you to go. When entering the sector however, make it an obligation to yourself to leave on your own terms.

It is a great starting point for young ones and my advise would be to follow your heart and passion. If you have service qualities in you then go for it. smiley

11 Likes

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by obajoey(m): 7:57am On Mar 07, 2017
balancediet:
The Best place to start career is in The Bank. They Dont Owe salary, train you to be smart and to think strategically a quality that Will remain with you and help in your own bussines in later years.With time though you May change career to something with less pressure.

Professionalism.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by Bellzee: 8:05am On Mar 07, 2017
OP please don't exaggerate about 3 promotions in a year. the truth is that the banking system has changed. If you want to move up quickly in banking you can bank hop or be a top class performer. One more thing,banks are actually the best place to start your career because to gain valuable experience especially financially, which will help you in the future.

1 Like

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by Jaytecq(m): 8:10am On Mar 07, 2017
in the system presently...
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by colli247(m): 8:26am On Mar 07, 2017
slydog:
This thread is for resilient bankers who enjoy promotion and moved from one bank to another in search of career growth so we can share experiences and advises to young bankers.

I work in a first generation bank where I've seen people who work for 30 years and received promoting three times in 30years. Today we have banker jumping from bank to bank getting next levels.

Bankers, come and share your experiences.
iam a banker any banker most be a big time saver because that job is not easy

2 Likes

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by SuperPanther: 8:39am On Mar 07, 2017
HAH:
Banking hmmn, my only advice to bankers is always have an exit plan.

Not everyone will AGM Gm etc, at a time a level will be saturated and rationalisation becomes inevitable, those that will survive are super performers, ass lickers, and owners family.

Banking is a good foundation for for young person as it will teach you resilience, know when to say is ok and please save save and save.

To your question on when to throw in the towel when you stay for about 4 years without promotion or any new challenge unless you are no ambitious

By the way I was a banker and now a proud entrepreneur

Please what line of business do you do now?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ways You Can Avoid Being Used By Selfish Nigerian Employers / Prof. Ade Ojeniyi Bags Danish Highest Award / 6 Business & Career Growth Secrets I Learnt From Jonah & The Fish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.