Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,887 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:42 AM

House Rent In Lagos,the Agent Fee Conundrum! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Rent In Lagos,the Agent Fee Conundrum! (2652 Views)

"House Rent Should Be Paid Monthly In Nigeria" - FCT Minister / Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle / Fashola Calls For A Change In House Rent Collection System In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

House Rent In Lagos,the Agent Fee Conundrum! by patwilly(m): 10:32pm On Aug 30, 2015
Alright,Let's say we overlook the fact that landlords In Lagos demand two years rent upfront, which In my humble opinion is quite harsh as it is..fast forwards a bit, and the landlord demands an additional ten percent "agent " fee and ten percent "agreement ".fee, that's ten percent of what you paid for a combined two years as rent. Then there's another fee, called caution /damages fee which is usually ten percent again.. Mind you all the "ten percents" I've listed above is to be paid as a lump sum! Let me make the picture a little clearer..I approached a landlord in Shomolu area of Lagos for a mini flat apartment - that's a room and parlor.. This Landlord demanded I paid 300k for a year for the two rooms, that's 600k for two years,..huh!?? yes that's how expensive houses are in that area, then he said to be paid along with the 600k is an extra 150k, 50k agent fee, 50k agreement, 50k damages /caution fee, that's a lump sum of 750k to be paid at once! I mean I don't get it?? Isn't this plain illegality and a rip off? Why is this sort if thing a kind of tradition in Lagos? in most cases, even if you approach the landlord directly, you still get to pay all the other fees as listed above.. To me its blatant criminality and no one is saying anything about it? What is it about for fecks sake??!!
Re: House Rent In Lagos,the Agent Fee Conundrum! by AdebisiAdeyinka(m): 10:36pm On Aug 30, 2015
Wetin ah go comment xef
Re: House Rent In Lagos,the Agent Fee Conundrum! by hedonistic: 10:38pm On Aug 30, 2015
Pay N300k for a mini flat in Shomolu? That crime infested shithole brimming with dirty cultists and street gangs? Shish. God forbid. Wouldn't even stay there for free.
Re: House Rent In Lagos,the Agent Fee Conundrum! by patwilly(m): 10:44pm On Aug 30, 2015
hedonistic:
Pay N300k for a mini flat in Shomolu? That crime infested shithole brimming with dirty cultists and street gangs? Shish. God forbid. Wouldn't even stay there for free.
Oh well you can say! Want to pay for a flat in Lekki for me then? Thats the reality bro!
Re: House Rent In Lagos,the Agent Fee Conundrum! by hedonistic: 10:51pm On Aug 30, 2015
patwilly:

Oh well you can say! Want to pay for a flat in Lekki for me then? Thats the reality bro!

Na don't get me wrong. It's not about class or whatever. Shomolu and its fellow no-no areas like Bariga and Mushin are too volatile to attract such huge rents. Am I mad to pay N300k for a mini flat in these areas? Even free thanks but no thanks. Google 'Shomolu' and I'm sure all you would find are unending reports of cult clashes , street gangs activities, robberies rape, etc. Very hopeless area.

Better go to other areas like Mafoluku, Egbeda, and the likes were you'd get apartments in that rent category or less and enjoy relative peace of mind.
Re: House Rent In Lagos,the Agent Fee Conundrum! by palserltd: 10:57pm On Aug 30, 2015
Hmmmm.......we really need good security in many parts of Lagos and not just in one area alone. May God protect us all from the hands of the evil ones in Jesus name, Amen!

For your Aluminium & Glass systems (windows, doors, roofing, shower stalls, partitions, etc.) https://www.nairaland.com/2543305/best-aluminium-glass-services-work
Re: House Rent In Lagos,the Agent Fee Conundrum! by patwilly(m): 12:58pm On Sep 05, 2015
hedonistic:

Na don't get me wrong. It's not about class or whatever. Shomolu and its fellow no-no areas like Bariga and Mushin are too volatile to attract such huge rents. Am I mad to pay N300k for a mini flat in these areas? Even free thanks but no thanks. Google 'Shomolu' and I'm sure all you would find are unending reports of cult clashes , street gangs activities, robberies rape, etc. Very hopeless area.

Better go to other areas like Mafoluku, Egbeda, and the likes were you'd get apartments in that rent category or less and enjoy relative peace of mind.
OK I get you. I actually want a place closer to ijora.
Re: House Rent In Lagos,the Agent Fee Conundrum! by hinwazaka: 1:09pm On Sep 05, 2015
The OP, does not know how expensive it is for a landlord to run a tenement. It's hard for you, given, but it is also tough for the landlord, especially, when the landlord is retired and aged, with responsibilities. We should learn to see things from the other perspective.
Re: House Rent In Lagos,the Agent Fee Conundrum! by Royals1: 1:25pm On Sep 05, 2015
Hmmmm... Dts a serious issue dt av been looking for an ally. The problem starts from d agent. How wuld someone call himself an agent and sit somewhere hoping to collect commision on anoda person house. Dey are d one dt teach dese landlord aw to collect dos money. The funny part is dt some of dis agents father dos not ave houses in lagos. There is need for debate on dis issue in lagos state house

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News-hear What Jewish Leader Say About African / BREAKING NEWS: Patience Joanthan ARRESTED On The Order Of Buhari / Fayose's Aide Lere Olayinka Releases Pics 2 Show APC/Fayemi's Fraud In Ekiti(pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.