Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,372 members, 7,808,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

Cooking Competition? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Cooking Competition? (3526 Views)

Does Your Husband Complain About Your Cooking? Share Your Experience. / Man Dumps Wife For Sister Inlaw, Says Her Cooking And Sex Is Better / I Hate Cooking Breakfast For My Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cooking Competition? by kokoye(m): 1:15pm On Apr 01, 2009
Hey ladies,

Would you be concerned if your man was obviously a better cook than you and he sometimes bragged about it?

BTW, I cannot cook so this aint about me wink
Re: Cooking Competition? by sistawoman: 3:38pm On Apr 01, 2009
Hell no.

My man can out cook me anyday.

He can get in the kitchen and cook all he wants.

If he is better at cooking then so be it.
Re: Cooking Competition? by tope2000(f): 4:11pm On Apr 01, 2009
well. . . mine is rubbish in the kitchen cheesy, altho i might a lil bit concerned if he was better cook n brags abt it angry
Re: Cooking Competition? by sistawoman: 5:06pm On Apr 01, 2009
@ tope2000

Why?
Re: Cooking Competition? by kokoye(m): 5:15pm On Apr 01, 2009
Sisterwoman, I'll take that.

Because in Africa, just as responsible men feel they should be the major provider in the family, women also feel the kitchen ought to be their domain. So even though the wife is bringing in more money or the man is the better cook, that is fine but we dont need you rubbing it in or bragging about it.

So the major issue is the bragging part.

Hope that explains it.

Also, for peace to reign, men, dont ever take sides with your mom when it comes to cooking grin
Re: Cooking Competition? by sistawoman: 5:50pm On Apr 01, 2009
Oh to me it is no big deal.

Just like he will be better at things so will I.

For instance I am better at the car maintance, and I tease him about it.

He is better laundry and teases me about that.

But together our vechiles are maintained and our clothes are washed.

I really dont subscribe to the whole "man" "woman" roles.

But I understand how someone would get upset over that.
Re: Cooking Competition? by kokoye(m): 5:58pm On Apr 01, 2009
yea, it's just the way most people were brought up. Even in some parts of the U.S (south mostly), some people who cannot stand change still think that way.

I think bragging about it would be different from teasing but I guess either's OK as long as it's kept within - not bragging when CNN is around.
Re: Cooking Competition? by Nobody: 3:53am On Apr 02, 2009
kokoye:

Hey ladies,

Would you be concerned if your man was obviously a better cook than you and he sometimes bragged about it?

Concern for what?
For having a free chef?
Re: Cooking Competition? by SeanT21(f): 4:28am On Apr 02, 2009
HELL NO Gal!!

It will be like HEAVEN.It means that I do not have 2 cook. wink
Re: Cooking Competition? by iice(f): 6:05pm On Apr 02, 2009
@Topic nope.  .  .he can't even brag about it (there will be no joy, coz i could careless so long as food is there tongue)
My brothers are chefs (at home) they prefer to be the ones doing the cooking when they have the time - my sisters in law are lucky cheesy
Re: Cooking Competition? by omar22(m): 7:04pm On Apr 02, 2009
Men are generally better cooks (I cant say in Africa) but worldwide men are better cooks, they even make a better career in cooking than women!

I am yet to come across a chief cook of an establishment thats a woman, they are all men!!!

Sorry ladies!!! I think the role of a wife has to be re-written
Re: Cooking Competition? by DeReloaded: 7:08pm On Apr 02, 2009
You should learn, kokoye.
Re: Cooking Competition? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Apr 02, 2009
no you shldnt learn kokoye.
Re: Cooking Competition? by kokoye(m): 7:19pm On Apr 02, 2009
Reloaded, Well, I know how to cook a few but then, I am blessed with a woman that cooks excellently well and loves doing it.

That does not mean I wont do it if I'm all by myself or alone with my son.

The wife makes good use of me when she's cooking, like she passes me the dirty dishes to clean or tells me what and what to bring from the pantry . . . or simply just tell me to go to bed and not disturb her!!  She cooks like she's having a party!

That woman can mix egusi with snails, ponmo and stockfish!! Oluwa o. Thank God for my wife o

Anyway, na only soup I no sabi. But I will learn when??   smiley
Re: Cooking Competition? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Apr 02, 2009
kokoye, is ur wife igbo?
Re: Cooking Competition? by DeReloaded: 7:30pm On Apr 02, 2009
David be quiet.

kokoye:

Anyway, na only soup I no sabi. But I will learn when??   smiley

what kind "soup"? If you tell me "noodle soup:, I will break your head  angry Just because she enjoys cooking, doesnt mean you shouldnt learn too  wink

I say this cos you have a son, he will most likely try to copy what you do unless you just want him to wait til he's in his 30s, prays to find someone like his mummy and the cycle continues.

You help with the dishes abi? Use those same eyes to watch how she cooks  tongue smiley
Re: Cooking Competition? by sistawoman: 7:33pm On Apr 02, 2009
omar22:

Sorry ladies!!! I think the role of a wife has to be re-written

You did not get the memo, that was done years ago.
Re: Cooking Competition? by akinalabi(m): 7:34pm On Apr 02, 2009
Nigerian women will prefer it.

They dont want to cook in the first place. grin
Re: Cooking Competition? by kokoye(m): 7:40pm On Apr 02, 2009
David ojare, my wife na complete yoruba.

When I say soup, I'm mean regular stew including egusi, banga and the likes. I guess I slacked in that area cos I grew up as the only son with 4 sisters.

Well, cooking for my wife is not a role, it is what she loves to do and I will not hesitate to help out in anyway I can. We were good friends in graduate schools for years before we started dating so I know this about her. She aint doing it to make me happy.

Like I said, cooking is not a big deal except you make it one. I stayed by myself for years and did not beg anyone to cook for me.

The same way you ladies crave to be spoilt, I appreciate my wife - she enjoys cooking. And since good food is what I like - there!
Re: Cooking Competition? by kokoye(m): 7:42pm On Apr 02, 2009
akinalabi:

Nigerian women will prefer it.

They dont want to cook in the first place. grin

Here we go again.

Tribalistic vaga!#@!@#
Re: Cooking Competition? by DeReloaded: 7:48pm On Apr 02, 2009
You're getting defensive so nevermind. Dont remember saying you were "forcing her to do it"  or "making it a big deal" so whatever

anyway in regards to the topic at hand

Italian families are known for this. It's funny watching them. Then again everyone know Italian men are some of the best chefs in the world cos of how they're raised. Mothers forcing them all in to learn. It's amusing then they go on cooking better than their mothers sef

Bragging about it is abit childish though. People should just be proud of what they can do and leave it at that
Re: Cooking Competition? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Apr 02, 2009
See this DeReloaded, instead of you to go and polish ur cooking skills. Stay there waiting for a man to cook for you.  grin
Oga kokoye, that's nice . . . you must be lucky to have a wife for whom cooking is a hobby.
Re: Cooking Competition? by qblaze(m): 7:50pm On Apr 02, 2009
Such things don't really matter to men. Women should only be concerned about one thing and it ain't cooking.
Re: Cooking Competition? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Apr 02, 2009
cooking doesnt matter to men? qblaze you must be on another planet.
Re: Cooking Competition? by DeReloaded: 7:53pm On Apr 02, 2009
David comot from my face and go back to chasing all the small girls so they can make akara for you.

olowo riro angry
Re: Cooking Competition? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Apr 02, 2009
kokoye, is your wife like DeReloaded? i'm begining to consider she's too tough for me.  grin
but if she can cook its ok, i can take it.
Re: Cooking Competition? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Apr 02, 2009
Hey ladies,

It won't concern me if he cooks better than I do but if he begins to brag about, he should get ready for a dose of my scathing tongue.  cheesy He won't do it again.

davidylan:

See this DeReloaded, instead of you to go and polish ur cooking skills. Stay there waiting for a man to cook for you. grin

Lmao!
Re: Cooking Competition? by kokoye(m): 8:00pm On Apr 02, 2009
I really cant place DeReloaded ojare. it is always safer to steer clear of ladies who think other ladies are being oppressed - cos you can never win. it aint worth it

Anyway, I was not being defensive. I was only replying to some who think cooking is regarded as a role for African women - like the men force them to do it, or they cook to make their men happy.

There are no roles in my house. But there are some thing I will not let my wife do: throw out the garbage; and walk the house to make sure all is well before going to bed.
Re: Cooking Competition? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Apr 02, 2009
If a dude can cook he shld go ahead and impressive his wife with his skills . . . if his wife can cook and it makes her happy to do so then carry go. I really dont see where the problem lies. Women sometimes can be overly paranoid over little things.
Re: Cooking Competition? by larayat(f): 8:32pm On Apr 02, 2009
gud 4 him atleast i can seat back n relax knwing my hubby is gud at dat, i dont av to cook all d time.dats y we are one in d 1st place,
Re: Cooking Competition? by Dammyray(m): 8:42pm On Apr 02, 2009
some women laisy enn see watin seant21 talk anyway the big deal is that that wife should be ashamed of her self where where you the day you knew it he nows than you am sure he as not been doing it now
Re: Cooking Competition? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Apr 02, 2009
'

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Elder Sister Is Feeling Suicidal / I F0ck Her The First Day We Meet: My S*X Service To My Principal And Students / How Can I Handle This Situation Maturedly:::: See Pix:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.