Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,201 members, 7,780,346 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:52 PM

Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student (20004 Views)

"Ibrahim Danmaziri Murtala Hired Thugs To Attack A Blogger" - Facebook User / Jonathan Reacts To Attack On Orlando Gay Nightclub / Militants Threaten To Attack Niger-Delta Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nemesis99(m): 2:13am On Sep 01, 2015
waiting for the octopus abi na autopsy
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by gare(f): 2:16am On Sep 01, 2015
centje:
To the living, Death is a painful part of our life. It becomes more painful when it occurs at young age and from a preventable cause. To the diseased student, may her soul rest in peace, Amen!

I really pity the girl, her friends and family, most likely she died out of our poor system. That's a glaring truth!

However, there's a chronic problem among Nigerians, which is, we tend to be carried away by sentiments, no room for critical analysis to prevent such occurrence in future, as we continue to live.

Let's analyse what led to the death of this female student and the actions of her sympathisers afterwards..

From the story flying around, both first hand and news outlets, the student collapsed while taking her bath [ think!... her friends or neighbours, or hostel mates would only notice she has collapsed after a long stay in the bathroom, unless she was taking the bath with another person, so she must have collapsed in the bath room long before it was discovered ]. She was said to have started bleeding Vaginally. She was then rushed to the UPTH ( University of Portharcourt Teaching Hospital) Accident and Emergency (A/E) Unit, where she was told by a nurse that there was no bed space in the A/E unit. She was taken to a private Hospital, but her friends was unaware she died while in transit, so she was certified Dead on Arrival (DOA) at the private hospital. The private hospital, to avoid 'trouble', then referred them back to UPTH where she was taken to morgue. Friends of the diseased student then instigated other students and protest began, and attack was targeted at UPTH, and its staff, especially those at A/E unit. The East west Road(A federal road) was also blocked.

Let's also clarify something about the student. I have worked in a University Medical Centre, and I knew how Theatre Art students were rushed to A/E unit. Then, 5 out of 10 admission in A/E unit were theatre Art students. Why was it so? Reason: They do a lot of rehearsals, very stressful rehearsal, almost 24 hours in most days of the week. What if she has been ill for sometime but didn't seek care?

Now, let's critically look at this student's death. What are the possible causes of her death? We are limited here because we need some basic medical information from her friends, but from the history of vaginal bleeding as a young girl of reproductive age, what comes to mind is Ruptured Ectopic pregnancy, severe Anaemia from menstrual loss, Miscarriage, illegal Abortion ( illegal in Nigeria) and other gynaecological cause of Vaginal bleeding. Other common possibilities include severe malaria ( severe Anaemia ), hypoglycaemia( low blood sugar ) ...

As I write the Hospital is planning for Autopsy on the Diseased student. So findings will be out soon.

Now, What are the problems that eventually led to her death?

First, if she was pregnant, then her Boyfriend should be ready to answer some queries from her parents and investigating team. Did they attempt Abortion? Was it ectopic pregnancy? Pregnancy would have been prevented by simple condom, but most girls dislike condom, yet they have little knowledge on how to monitor their ovulation or use of contraceptive.

Secondly, Theatre Art department need to review the inhumane activities these students pass through as theatre Art students, sometimes they are made to rehearse under the rain, when some of them are asthmatic.

Thirdly, how equipped is their University Medical Centre? Are money not allocated for their medical centre? 'Uniport wasn't born last night', it's an old university. Their medical centre should be able to handle cases like this, unless her friends are hiding something which will spread in the school if they had taken her to their medical centre. Like I said earlier I have worked in a University Medical Centre, I know how students behave in relation to medical treatment. While I worked there I gave serial complaints about setting up a theatre to handle minor surgeries. I was happy the university responded fast, and before I left they were already performing appendicectomy and other surgeries. Can that be said of Uniport medical centre? Who is to blame if it is not equipped? Is the the doctor or the nurse or the Government?

State of of our healthcare system, especially teaching/ tertiary Hospitals. I have also worked in a teaching hospital, a very busy one. It gets so busy that we stop taking in patient into A/E, into the wards. Laboratory results are queued and takes average of 2days to get a lab result, you can now imagine how long it takes to make definitive diagnosis for a patient in critical condition in A/E. You just can't do anything when the teaching hospital capacity is saturated. The worst is the troubles of accessing blood to save an traumatised patient, most time doctors go to lab to beg....not really the fault of the lab scientists per say but the replacement system is poor. Once the patient gets well he refuses to replace the blood used in saving him/her.
Who's fault is it that we have a poor system? The doctor? The nurse? The pharmacist? The lab scientists? The government? The populace?

Poor design of health care network. In countries with good health care network, both hospital (private and government owned hospitals) and state ambulances ( can be bus, van or helicopter ), have a short code one can easily dial in cases of emergency and the response is swift, and while they are moving, they are already giving first aid treatment to the patient, they already know hospitals in the city where there's available bed space, the hospital is contacted and given clue of the kind of case coming, the hospital assembles team of healthcare professionals to receive the patient and start necessary management fast. But then we won't direct our anger to the government in power at any given point in time.

Have you asked yourself what is the population of PH not to talk of Rivers state? Have you also tried to compare such population with the number of government hospitals and the capacity of each hospital, I say government hospital because that is where most River State residents will access cheaper health care. How much has Rivers state government done to ensure easy accessibility of health care her residents? Are there Doctors and equipment In our village healthcare centres?

Again, we can be careless with emergency situations, some states like Enugu, have some ambulance service, Have effective fire service, Have police short code, how many of us make effort to have these codes or numbers, how many know how to administer CPR in case of emergency. I was the one that opened a thread in Health section of Nairaland : TIPS ON COMMON ACCIDENTS AND EMERGENCIES, how many of us have taken time to learn one or two skills there?

In this index case, the students attacked UPTH for perceived negligence, even in the report the Nurse was tagged wicked. Negligence is not out of the question, no one is certain of what transpired until investigation is carried out.
But let's take another angle, for a nurse to tell you there's no space, most likely no space, because I have been with nurses most part of my life. They run shift system, while doctors work 24hrs, so the stress of the hectic hospital work in Nigeria is not so much on them, a doctor is more likely to be overwhelmed by work or to run away from work due to work fatigue than a nurse. So must time when a nurse says there's no space, check very well there won't be space in that hospital, and am sure the students wouldn't take the female student away to another hospital if they could sight an empty space or bed in the A/E unit.

The immediate past Governor of Rivers State, Rotimi Amaechi once said that they ( politicians) steal because we don't stone them. You can't imagine the happiness I would have felt if these students had directed their grievance to the government, as little as hauling stone to government house would have sent a lot of messages to politicians all over the country. At least the Government at every level would know that Nigerians can rise Against them one day, so they would sit up, build good roads to reduces Road traffic accident as major cause of death in Nigeria, build better universities, plan our Cities well, equip our hospitals, build more hospitals, design a good healthcare network, give health care works their deserved remuneration to avoid industrial action, instead of buying cloth and newspapers for senators, flying presidents and Governors to foreign medical treatment with our tax money.

Keep your write up to yourself, we talking about someone's life you are showing us your thesis, as far as I am concerned you have failed, you should have focus more of saving life then giving us history of what we already know.

How can you see some at the point of death no matter what may have happened before, your first instinct is to save life, tomorrow they will go on strike for killing people, if I where the govt the next time they proceed on strike I will fire all of them, its better we don'thave then for us to feel we have mmedical personnel.

1 Like

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by nenergy(m): 2:17am On Sep 01, 2015
bushdoc9919:
Thank you.
Unfortunately most people think that we medical folk are bad people.
Thank you.
Answer this simple question. Do you need a "bed" to save a person's life?

4 Likes

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by gare(f): 2:22am On Sep 01, 2015
EVILFOREST:
I see PEOPLE commend him for his ? NICE WRITE UP.

I am also a Medical DOCTOR, what ever may be the CAUSE matters only in history taking.

No matter what the YOUNG LADY did that may have led to her death, she still deserves RIGHT TO LIVE.

After all, I have treated CONVICTED ARMED ROBBERS and KIDNAPPERS who were bought to us by the NAVY, despite passing through MAYHEM in the hands Of armed robbers.

I have treated PROSTITUTES, when they were rushed into the A and E by hoterliers.
So OP whether she did ABORTION or not doesn't matter, that's why you are there

You can imagine punishing you for saving a life how would they have felt if the person was turned back and the person eventually dies

IF what I heard is in accordance with what happened then it is highly CONDEMNABLE.

When I was in F. M. C. OWERRI, we ran out Of BED SPACES, yet we disobeyed the hospital ethics, and admitted ALVAN STUDENTS on the BARE FLOOR... though we got PUNISHED for it.

Am saying this because, ALMIGHTY GOD can bear me witness this hour.
I have done so much and I will do more to preserve the sanctity Of LIFE.

As a DOCTOR, please do the LITTLE you can AND REFER as fast as possible after due explanations

Everywhere u go, u see laxity.
Who is this LAXITY.. ..?

1 Like

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by likila: 2:28am On Sep 01, 2015
nenergy:

And people were appreciating his excuses.
Nigeria is in for a rough tough road ahead.
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by gare(f): 2:29am On Sep 01, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Well...so the casualty officer admits her.....and gets her to lie on the floor. Puts up a drip....then rushes to attend to the other patinets in casualty....which is filled up.

And one thing about casualty being filled up.....this usually means the wards too are filled up. Now...the Casualty officer calls the obs/gynae assuming the girl has an ectopic. The next thing would be to operate. Unfortunately....the ward is filled up. The theatre too is running at full capacity at night.So...the girl cannot be operated on.

And we need lab tests to be done...yet because the cas is filled up....the lab is running at full capacity.

And there are not too many doctors on duty at night (We run shifts/calls).

I really don't understand all this talk about space ? Is it the space doing the treatment or the nurse, Doctor or casualty officer or whatever name you call them, let's stopped of this talk of bullshit, those nurses on duty must have been sitting down gossiping instead saving a life you all come here and talk about space, what's is wrong with the floor and even a table if the the after is filled up, I pray it does not happen to you. If not you would not mind being treated outside on a field.

So...at the end of the day...the patient still dies because the whole ward was filled up. And we will still get blamed for causing the death.Not the fact that because of delays occasioned by the ward/casualty being filled up.....

Ah well......such is the lot of a doctor.

Now the ideal thing would be....girl slumps...ambulance is called...paramedics respond....and take her to the hospital where there is space as told them by dispatch.

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by gare(f): 2:40am On Sep 01, 2015
nenergy:

Ask them ? Don't mind all is dull people quoting big big name here . You don't need a bed to save someone's life simple stop all this bullshit of bed space if not it will happen to one of you or your loved ones. Save life first then refer to somewhere with a bed space.
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by possibilita(m): 3:02am On Sep 01, 2015
centje:
To the living, Death is a painful part of our life. It becomes more painful when it occurs at young age and from a preventable cause. To the diseased student, may her soul rest in peace, Amen!

I really pity the girl, her friends and family, most likely she died out of our poor system. That's a glaring truth!

However, there's a chronic problem among Nigerians, which is, we tend to be carried away by sentiments, no room for critical analysis to prevent such occurrence in future, as we continue to live.

Let's analyse what led to the death of this female student and the actions of her sympathisers afterwards..

From the story flying around, both first hand and news outlets, the student collapsed while taking her bath [ think!... her friends or neighbours, or hostel mates would only notice she has collapsed after a long stay in the bathroom, unless she was taking the bath with another person, so she must have collapsed in the bath room long before it was discovered ]. She was said to have started bleeding Vaginally. She was then rushed to the UPTH ( University of Portharcourt Teaching Hospital) Accident and Emergency (A/E) Unit, where she was told by a nurse that there was no bed space in the A/E unit. She was taken to a private Hospital, but her friends was unaware she died while in transit, so she was certified Dead on Arrival (DOA) at the private hospital. The private hospital, to avoid 'trouble', then referred them back to UPTH where she was taken to morgue. Friends of the diseased student then instigated other students and protest began, and attack was targeted at UPTH, and its staff, especially those at A/E unit. The East west Road(A federal road) was also blocked.

Let's also clarify something about the student. I have worked in a University Medical Centre, and I knew how Theatre Art students were rushed to A/E unit. Then, 5 out of 10 admission in A/E unit were theatre Art students. Why was it so? Reason: They do a lot of rehearsals, very stressful rehearsal, almost 24 hours in most days of the week. What if she has been ill for sometime but didn't seek care?

Now, let's critically look at this student's death. What are the possible causes of her death? We are limited here because we need some basic medical information from her friends, but from the history of vaginal bleeding as a young girl of reproductive age, what comes to mind is Ruptured Ectopic pregnancy, severe Anaemia from menstrual loss, Miscarriage, illegal Abortion ( illegal in Nigeria) and other gynaecological cause of Vaginal bleeding. Other common possibilities include severe malaria ( severe Anaemia ), hypoglycaemia( low blood sugar ) ...

As I write the Hospital is planning for Autopsy on the Diseased student. So findings will be out soon.

Now, What are the problems that eventually led to her death?

First, if she was pregnant, then her Boyfriend should be ready to answer some queries from her parents and investigating team. Did they attempt Abortion? Was it ectopic pregnancy? Pregnancy would have been prevented by simple condom, but most girls dislike condom, yet they have little knowledge on how to monitor their ovulation or use of contraceptive.

Secondly, Theatre Art department need to review the inhumane activities these students pass through as theatre Art students, sometimes they are made to rehearse under the rain, when some of them are asthmatic.

Thirdly, how equipped is their University Medical Centre? Are money not allocated for their medical centre? 'Uniport wasn't born last night', it's an old university. Their medical centre should be able to handle cases like this, unless her friends are hiding something which will spread in the school if they had taken her to their medical centre. Like I said earlier I have worked in a University Medical Centre, I know how students behave in relation to medical treatment. While I worked there I gave serial complaints about setting up a theatre to handle minor surgeries. I was happy the university responded fast, and before I left they were already performing appendicectomy and other surgeries. Can that be said of Uniport medical centre? Who is to blame if it is not equipped? Is the the doctor or the nurse or the Government?

State of of our healthcare system, especially teaching/ tertiary Hospitals. I have also worked in a teaching hospital, a very busy one. It gets so busy that we stop taking in patient into A/E, into the wards. Laboratory results are queued and takes average of 2days to get a lab result, you can now imagine how long it takes to make definitive diagnosis for a patient in critical condition in A/E. You just can't do anything when the teaching hospital capacity is saturated. The worst is the troubles of accessing blood to save an traumatised patient, most time doctors go to lab to beg....not really the fault of the lab scientists per say but the replacement system is poor. Once the patient gets well he refuses to replace the blood used in saving him/her.
Who's fault is it that we have a poor system? The doctor? The nurse? The pharmacist? The lab scientists? The government? The populace?

Poor design of health care network. In countries with good health care network, both hospital (private and government owned hospitals) and state ambulances ( can be bus, van or helicopter ), have a short code one can easily dial in cases of emergency and the response is swift, and while they are moving, they are already giving first aid treatment to the patient, they already know hospitals in the city where there's available bed space, the hospital is contacted and given clue of the kind of case coming, the hospital assembles team of healthcare professionals to receive the patient and start necessary management fast. But then we won't direct our anger to the government in power at any given point in time.

Have you asked yourself what is the population of PH not to talk of Rivers state? Have you also tried to compare such population with the number of government hospitals and the capacity of each hospital, I say government hospital because that is where most River State residents will access cheaper health care. How much has Rivers state government done to ensure easy accessibility of health care her residents? Are there Doctors and equipment In our village healthcare centres?

Again, we can be careless with emergency situations, some states like Enugu, have some ambulance service, Have effective fire service, Have police short code, how many of us make effort to have these codes or numbers, how many know how to administer CPR in case of emergency. I was the one that opened a thread in Health section of Nairaland : TIPS ON COMMON ACCIDENTS AND EMERGENCIES, how many of us have taken time to learn one or two skills there?

In this index case, the students attacked UPTH for perceived negligence, even in the report the Nurse was tagged wicked. Negligence is not out of the question, no one is certain of what transpired until investigation is carried out.
But let's take another angle, for a nurse to tell you there's no space, most likely no space, because I have been with nurses most part of my life. They run shift system, while doctors work 24hrs, so the stress of the hectic hospital work in Nigeria is not so much on them, a doctor is more likely to be overwhelmed by work or to run away from work due to work fatigue than a nurse. So must time when a nurse says there's no space, check very well there won't be space in that hospital, and am sure the students wouldn't take the female student away to another hospital if they could sight an empty space or bed in the A/E unit.

The immediate past Governor of Rivers State, Rotimi Amaechi once said that they ( politicians) steal because we don't stone them. You can't imagine the happiness I would have felt if these students had directed their grievance to the government, as little as hauling stone to government house would have sent a lot of messages to politicians all over the country. At least the Government at every level would know that Nigerians can rise Against them one day, so they would sit up, build good roads to reduces Road traffic accident as major cause of death in Nigeria, build better universities, plan our Cities well, equip our hospitals, build more hospitals, design a good healthcare network, give health care works their deserved remuneration to avoid industrial action, instead of buying cloth and newspapers for senators, flying presidents and Governors to foreign medical treatment with our tax money.
why is it that when something has happen we see someone trying to defend d offender?d op may b right but that girl have the Right to be treated Right,there is diff. Btw when a space was founded for her emergence n when she is rejected,died and management starts looking for cause of death,if she was accepted they wud have done a test to acertain d cause of the emergence now she is dead they want to look for cause of death to shift the blame,n op talking abt youth shifting their fury to the govt here is unacceptable,looted health fund or not it wasn't the govt that rejected her,it was the hospital.they don't have space for they living but they do for the dead.

1 Like

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Fourwinds: 3:14am On Sep 01, 2015
may God grant her soul eternal mercy
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Kylecares: 3:46am On Sep 01, 2015
AND THERE WZ BED SPACE IN MOGUL BT NT IN A&E
UPTH ARE ,.,.? RIP TO THE DEAD
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 4:34am On Sep 01, 2015
You're still writing out of sentiments. Re-read my post again, I considered every possible cause of death, negligence by health professionals, her fault, her friends' fault, the university fault,...

When a hospital capacity is saturated, it's not just the facilities, even human capacity is also saturated. Remember that this is a referral hospital, the last resort. For them to reject a patient means that it must been a helpless situation. I am not dismissing the possibility of negligence but as someone who has been in this kind of system I know fine details of what our hospital system looks like.

but the fundamental problem needs to be known by the public, because most time we are carried away by sentiments, run around circles of attacking health professionals when it's clear such will still re occur, why? Because the fundamental issue is still there, and attack on health professional will not remove such fundamental problem, so we keep running around circles!

And what is this fundamental problem, our governance. Both past and present governments have messed of every aspect of our system, including healthcare system. I don't know how else to say this, but it's clear a very large chunk Nigerian youths don't know the extent of decay in our system, we don't even know what a good system looks like. We've so gotten used to suffering that we've lost sense of what is right.
It's only those oldies who witnessed a working system in Nigeria, those who have travelled, and those who care to learn, know what a good system looks like.

For instance, as simple as getting our towns organised can save a lot of lives. Reduce accidents and diseases, and most importantly pave way for good service delivery. a resident at No. 2 Nairaland street, Nigeria calls for paramedic, they easily locate the house and give a quick service. Now imagine making such call from places as urban as Rumuokoro in Portharcourt, in our so call city not talk of Elele.
In our case, even the paramedic service is not even there...God help o, seriously!

We were all amazed how much is spent on newspapers and cloths for senators, imagine what would happen to our hospitals if such monies were channelled to healthcare since the return of democracy in Nigeria. But then we praise these politicians, prostrate when they pass, worship them after looting us, while we direct attack on health professionals.

It's a jungle called Nigeria, may God help us all.

possibilita:
why is it that when something has happen we see someone trying to defend d offender?d op may b right but that girl have the Right to be treated Right,there is diff. Btw when a space was founded for her emergence n when she is rejected,died and management starts looking for cause of death,if she was accepted they wud have done a test to acertain d cause of the emergence now she is dead they want to look for cause of death to shift the blame,n op talking abt youth shifting their fury to the govt here is unacceptable,looted health fund or not it wasn't the govt that rejected her,it was the hospital.they don't have space for they living but they do for the dead.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 4:46am On Sep 01, 2015
Thanks, I can't modify it now. The mods appear to have disabled the modify button. I will have to mail them.

AdaNri1:
Very intersting analysis. RIP to the victim.

Op I think the word is deceased
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by oguego(m): 4:48am On Sep 01, 2015
u don't know nothing, u just sit down and write whatever u like.... dis thing that happened has been happening in the hospital for a very long time, and the hospital inside school campus doesn't have much facilities,...so don't try to say what u don't know... the other day it was a case of a doctor certifying someone dead only for the mortuary attendants to return the body confirming that the person is still alive.... so many things happen in upth
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by chukel(m): 5:20am On Sep 01, 2015
ladyF:
The write up is very on point. But why did they reject someone that is in critical condition, even referring her somewhere else wasn't thoughtful as time is limited, they should have stabilised her, at least. Let us wait and see what the autopsy uncovers. God help Nigeria!

It's [size=20pt]LadyF[/size] again cry cry cry
how do u even reason. Stabilize her where. On the ground? There are cases you see and make a spot diagnosis. If it's an emergency and you are not equipped to handle, then u quickly refer. In this case UPTH was not equipped to handle as they were alleged not to have bed space. But I still insist that girl was brought in dead. She most likely had ruptured ectopic gestation. May her soul rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by teamchocolate: 5:22am On Sep 01, 2015
Fixed by assaulting the health care workers?
shocked shocked

nasty45:
Nice write up,notwithstanding the students said it has become a repeated occurrence and so shd be fixed
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by chukel(m): 5:29am On Sep 01, 2015
possibilita:
people who don't know jack about health system will just stay at the comfort of their crevices and type nonsense. Accepted where. Do what test. will u be happy if u come to the hospital and see ur relative being treated on the ground. With your reasoning, I hope you are not a graduate or an intending one. U just talk test as if u know a bit of what should be done in such cases. What you don't know, don't spew.

1 Like

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by teamchocolate: 5:31am On Sep 01, 2015
You treated people on the bare floor shocked shocked. Then u are what is wrong with the health system in this country....
Pls where did u train? The accreditation team of the National postgraduate medical college and west african college of physicians need to visit your school!!!
You are the doctors doing more harm than good.. ever heard of words like infection control, medical ethics... anyway your moniker says it all... undecided undecided dr evilforest

You must av misunderstood the op, he never said anything was wrong with giving post-abortion care or treating armed robbers, he only made a veiled reference to the fact that abortion is illegal, and if u could really comprehend, he said illegal in this country meaning he rly feels it should be otherwise as it is in more developed countries.

EVILFOREST:

I am also a Medical DOCTOR, what ever may be the CAUSE matters only in history taking.

No matter what the YOUNG LADY did that may have led to her death, she still deserves RIGHT TO LIVE.

After all, I have treated CONVICTED ARMED ROBBERS and KIDNAPPERS who were bought to us by the NAVY, despite passing through MAYHEM in the hands Of armed robbers.

I have treated PROSTITUTES, when they were rushed into the A and E by hoterliers.

IF what I heard is in accordance with what happened then it is highly CONDEMNABLE.

When I was in F. M. C. OWERRI, we ran out Of BED SPACES, yet we disobeyed the hospital ethics, and admitted ALVAN STUDENTS on the BARE FLOOR... though we got PUNISHED for it.

As a DOCTOR, please do the LITTLE you can AND REFER as fast as possible after due explanations

Who is this LAXITY.. ..?

3 Likes

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 5:32am On Sep 01, 2015
nenergy:

Well...the answer is yes.

1.Hospital beds are special beds.

2.The head of the hospital bed is adjustable....because when a patient comes in with congested lungs due to heart failure for example.....the first thing we need to do is to ''nurse in cardiac position''....ie we adjust the head to 45 degrees....so that the patient does not choke to death. First part of treating such patients.

3.The matress has to be ''hard'' ....so that when we have to do CPR....we would be able to do it more efficently....and we would be able again to adjust the height of the bed to make it easier for us and the patient. It also helps us easily set IV lines and keeps the patient from getting contaminated by the dirt on the floor.

4.The bed has wheels.....so that we can quickly move the patient to the X rays and to the ultrasound room....for investigations.

5.Finally

In this case there was no space.

Let me tell you a tale from my own experience. One night at a hospital where I worked...the Casualty was full to capacity. The doctors on duty were overstretched , as were the nurses. I had been drafted in to help treat a severely hypertensive patient. And no free beds. (Cases ran the gamut from hypertension through malalria to injuries.) So..someone brings in a severely ill patient.

Would you have expected us to attend to that patient....and in so doing divert resources from other similarly ill patients with dire consequences.?

We told the patient's relatives....with heavy heart .....that we had no space....and sent them to another hospital.

I hope you understand why.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 5:41am On Sep 01, 2015
gare:
I really don't understand all this talk about space ? Is it the space doing the treatment or the nurse, Doctor or casualty officer or whatever name you call them, let's stopped of this talk of bullshit, those nurses on duty must have been sitting down gossiping instead saving a life you all come here and talk about space, what's is wrong with the floor and even a table if the the after is filled up, I pray it does not happen to you. If not you would not mind being treated outside on a field.

Well.....

We once had a situation in the hospital where I trained.(I was a student then)

Casualty was filled up with all sorts of bad cases. The doctors and nurses and medical students on duty were overwhelmed.

Along comes another bad case.....

Of course...we could not drop our attentions on the other bad cases...who could die....and divert them to this one bad case.

So...we refer.

That is what it means by no space.

And I have seen similar incidents several times since I qualified......and I am sure that is what happened at UPTH on the night in question.

Yes...negligence happens. But when there is no space....we have to send you to another hospital where there is space...ideally...so that your patient gets attended to.

And that is where planning comes in.

I.E.....someone falls ill...ambulance is called....the paramedics in ambulance start first aid....and then move patient to the nearest hospital with free space as directed by dispatch....where doctors and nurses are waiting.

If it happens to me...well....most of the time....it is not my colleagues fault. it is the fault of the system.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 5:42am On Sep 01, 2015
You haven't said anything different, you have actually confirmed one of my uncertainties, that the University Medical Centre is ill-equipped.

If the University Medical Centre were functional there wouldn't have been such serial death of students. Was the medical centre built for decoration or to save students. The first point of call for a Uniport student is the University Medical Centre, it's only when it's beyond them that they can refer such patient to a tertiary Hospital like UPTH. Most time such centres are not allowed to service the university community just to ensure facility there is not saturated to the detriment of students.

'Am sure the doctor in the medical centre (that's if there's any o!) is to be blamed, not the University for not utilising the allocated fund for the University Medical Centre or the Government for not allocating such fund.

If our healthcare system should work, even teaching/tertiary hospitals like UPTH will not be saturated to the point of no space, because our primary and secondary health centres would absorb a good bulk of patients while professionals in tertiary centres are left mentally and physically ready to handle severe cases, which are relatively few.

For me the students should re-organise another protest, a well coordinated one that will send message to politicians, and attack the University authority and the nearest Government House. We may not know how a revolution starts.

oguego:
u don't know nothing,
Two negatives usually cancel out.

u just sit down and write whatever u like.... dis thing that happened has been happening in the hospital for a very long time,

but the fundamental problem needs to be known by the public, because most time we are carried away by sentiments, run around circles of attacking health professionals when it's clear such will still re occur, why? Because the fundamental issue is still there, and attack on health professional will not remove such fundamental problem, so we keep running around circles!

And what is this fundamental problem, our governance. Both past and present governments have messed of every aspect of our system, including healthcare system. I don't know how else to say this, but it's clear a very large chunk Nigerian youths don't know the extent of decay in our system, we don't even know what a good system looks like. We've so gotten used to suffering that we've lost sense of what is right.
It's only those oldies who witnessed a working system in Nigeria, those who have travelled, and those who care to learn, know what a good system looks like.

and the hospital inside school campus doesn't have much facilities,

...so don't try to say what u don't know...

the other day it was a case of a doctor certifying someone dead only for the mortuary attendants to return the body confirming that the person is still alive.... so many things happen in upth

Yes, a lot happens, and it's the same with all Teaching Hospitals in Nigeria. From the look of things I see little hope, but I pray Buhari succeeds.

Otherwise, Nigeria is a jungle, may God help us all!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by chukel(m): 5:44am On Sep 01, 2015
gare:

Keep your write up to yourself, we talking about someone's life you are showing us your thesis, as far as I am concerned you have failed, you should have focus more of saving life then giving us history of what we already know.

How can you see some at the point of death no matter what may have happened before, your first instinct is to save life, tomorrow they will go on strike for killing people, if I where the govt the next time they proceed on strike I will fire all of them, its better we don'thave then for us to feel we have mmedical personnel.
you are empty. What do u think saving life is? Waving a magic wand and that's it? Really most of you reveal alarming levels of shallowness. I know you have never been out of the shores of this country cos in the US hospital capacity gets filled up and cases are referred irrespective of the nature.
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by teamchocolate: 5:49am On Sep 01, 2015
You would know pple who did not even do any bit of science but feel they are learned once they start spewing trash....

Even in developed health care systems which I have been privileged to be a part of.. once a patient lands the a/e, one has to take a brief history, examine, run tests then treat.. now this doesn't have to follow the sequence I av outlined, this is where the doctor's discretion comes in.

And you talk of advanced cardiac life support and AED. Pls u need to be sure if the hospital had ' advanced cardiac life support' before u open ur mouth to condemn the doctor.. most teaching hospitals in Nigeria are glorified health centres and we all know this.. when doctors went on strike to protest poor working conditions and lack of infrastructure and equipment, where were you all? You will get to a hospital and there will be no light.. Na magic dey run the advanced cardiac life support I remember as a medical intern, I personally had to manually ambubag a pre-term baby all night long, something that the child should have been on a mechanical ventilator..of cos when I came back later in the day, the child was gone...sometimes, no oxygen, no electricity, nothing. And. You expect the doctors to do magic...better hold your government who by the way I always encounter in foreign hospitals accountable..Medical care anywhere in the world is very expensive and needs a lot of capital investment.. until govt officials start using those teaching hospitals, they would remain as they are... DEAD.

Also the issue of training resident doctors has been on the front burner.. no one seems to care..
Hold your govt accountable and stop spewing venom on health care workers who are doing their best for this kind of set-up...

Note that most brilliant doctors in the U.S are of Nigerian origin..many of who even trained in Nigeria... tells u a lot doesn't it..

InvertedHammer:

/
You are not making any sense. The most important thing in this story is that the victim was rushed to a medical facility. As a trained personnel, whether they have beds or not is a non issue. The first response would had been to initiate Advanced cardiac life support using medications, Iv infusion and AED if necessary. Once the patient is stabilized, then she would be transferred to another facility. Common sense is not common among you quacks parading as medical personnel in Nigeria.

UPTH A/E denied the lady the right to live.
All the running around with a patient who deserved emergency medical attention is callous. It is sad how you people get away with murder by negligence.

With your mindset, you should not be allowed 100meters near a patient.
/

2 Likes

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by chukel(m): 5:54am On Sep 01, 2015
nenergy:

do you need a seat to drive a car? U don't understand these things. A hospital is a specialised center. U don't do first aid there. It is not your house or a bar where you do first aid. This girl bled per vaginam. Tell me if she had been kept on the ground, how would the doctor have done a vaginal examination or speculum examination. You guys don't understand how these things work. Please just shut up.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by chukel(m): 6:02am On Sep 01, 2015
chuna1985:
Apart from other medical sector related problems in nigeria, Many, if not most Nigerian doctors n nurses r senseless, useless, stupidd, heartless, etc..
may u never escape the care of these senseless, useless, stupid, heartless beings. I lack words to describe your brain if you have any.

2 Likes

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by teamchocolate: 6:03am On Sep 01, 2015
uncleu:
The writer has little information yet decided to write a long essay on something he knows nothing about. UPTH is University of Portharcourt Teaching Hospital. It is not a university medical center. They have so many doctors on call at any particular time. It is not the duty of a nurse to triage patients in a teaching hospital. The casualty officer ought to have seen the young lady first.. bed space or no bed space.

Like someone pointed out earlier , in cases of road traffic accidents and other emergencies hospitals often admit patients on the floor. A tertiary health center cannot send a patient away . The other tertiary center in Portharcourt is BMH which is very far from UNIPORT.

Yes @ bolded, that should be the ideal thing, but it's unfortunate that the health system is anything far from ideal....The entire health system needs a overhaul.... but it's not by castigating the doctor... You need to read more on what makes up a health system dear.. pls go and read it up... plus the tertiary hospitals are overwhelmed.. in advanced countries, referral is a bottom-up approach and should be two-way in terms of feedback.... most pple go to primary health centres, if they need further help, they are referred to secondary level facilities which is the general hospital in Nigerian terms,if they need further evaluation and expertise, they are taken to tertiary hospitals..so ordinarily the phc where pple just take as places of immunization should be well equipped cuz that's where is closest to the communities.. but they are not..what we have now is everybody jus goes straight to UPTH or UNTH, so those hospitals are overwhelmed...Olikoye ransome Kuti tried to have a vibrant health care system and until we go back to those days, where the ward health system worked, Nigeria is in for a long haul.. what we need in this country are many closeby well equipped health care centres for the teeming populace but the govt will never accede to this cuz it's gonna cost a lot, health costs money..so they will rather all the poor die and they continue to access world class health in foreign countries... but unfortunately some of them die here before they reach the foreign country..

2 Likes

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Fearcom(m): 6:18am On Sep 01, 2015
Read all previous posts. A lot of people are ignorant, sentimental and shallow. Anywhere in the world, including countries like the U.S, when hospitals have reached capacity, the patient is usually referred to another hospital. Nothing wrong with that. Aside from that, attacking medical personnel will not solve/ remove the problem. Thirdly, the Nigerian health care system needs a total overhaul, like provision of equipment for all the departments and standard facilities and operating theaters as well as availability of life saving drugs.

4 Likes

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 6:38am On Sep 01, 2015
Op, please don't insinuate cause of death based on hear say. From your analysis, you indirectly assume she may have died of pregnancy related causes firstly before any other cause. Even if she was pregnant, are you holier than her or is she supposed to die? The truth is that our medical institutions in Nigeria especially federal owned are in a very bad condition. You say you work in a medical institution, how come you don't know that doctors work shifts like other medical staff? Where do you get the idea that drs work 24hrs in government hospitals?
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by ikennaoma(m): 6:40am On Sep 01, 2015
After rejecting her while she was alive. Nw that she is dead they want 2 carry out an autopsy. Very weaked country may God save us 4rm those weaked hospital wokers
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by igorekpengmail: 6:51am On Sep 01, 2015
Which kine yeye otopsy! If u had done what u were surpose to do, she could have bn better managed.

You are hereby guilty of. "Murder" "conspiracy and felony to murder" and negligence of duty.

See u guyz @ the court.
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by Nobody: 6:55am On Sep 01, 2015
ladyF:
The write up is very on point. But why did they reject someone that is in critical condition, even referring her somewhere else wasn't thoughtful as time is limited, they should have stabilised her, at least. Let us wait and see what the autopsy uncovers. God help Nigeria!

It's [size=20pt]LadyF[/size] again cry cry cry

d Nurses in UPTH r very wicked, women who when u encounter u'll know dey truly r frm d pit of hell & no regards for Human life, people die like fowls everyday in dt Hospital and if nt for d death of dz student all these wouldnt have come to limelight. Likewise BMH , 70% of obituaries I watch on RSTV r persons who died in BMH/ UPTH.

wiaz Buhari, dz Evil should be probed.
Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by intrepid: 6:57am On Sep 01, 2015
Your situation may not be the same.I'm aware u may not know what their A& E unit looks like,and if what u are saying is even possible considering space.Do u stabilize on the air? I have experience d what the op stated above and also the Op hasn't said or condemned the girl because of likely causes of her collapse, which you know are all true.

Assuming it was an ectopic pregnancy, how do you operate and how about lab results,grouping and cross matching and possible securing of blood? Is it available under such circumstance?

Please let's all push for normalized healthcare system; it takes nothing if the govt is serious,else we are all vulnerable.

EVILFOREST:

Who is this LAXITY.. ..?

1 Like

Re: Response To Attack On Healthcare Professionals Due To Death Of Uniport Student by InvertedHammer: 7:02am On Sep 01, 2015
teamchocolate:
You would know pple who did not even do any bit of science but feel they are learned once they start spewing trash....

Even in developed health care systems which I have been privileged to be a part of.. once a patient lands the a/e, one has to take a brief history, examine, run tests then treat.. now this doesn't have to follow the sequence I av outlined, this is where the doctor's discretion comes in.

And you talk of advanced cardiac life support and AED. Pls u need to be sure if the hospital had ' advanced cardiac life support' before u open ur mouth to condemn the doctor.. most teaching hospitals in Nigeria are glorified health centres and we all know this.. when doctors went on strike to protest poor working conditions and lack of infrastructure and equipment, where were you all? You will get to a hospital and there will be no light.. Na magic dey run the advanced cardiac life support I remember as a medical intern, I personally had to manually ambubag a pre-term baby all night long, something that the child should have been on a mechanical ventilator..of cos when I came back later in the day, the child was gone...sometimes, no oxygen, no electricity, nothing. And. You expect the doctors to do magic...better hold your government who by the way I always encounter in foreign hospitals accountable..Medical care anywhere in the world is very expensive and needs a lot of capital investment.. until govt officials start using those teaching hospitals, they would remain as they are... DEAD.

Also the issue of training resident doctors has been on the front burner.. no one seems to care..
Hold your govt accountable and stop spewing venom on health care workers who are doing their best for this kind of set-up...

Note that most brilliant doctors in the U.S are of Nigerian origin..many of who even trained in Nigeria... tells u a lot doesn't it..

/
You have a questionable medical career. Either you are grossly incompetent or you are a danger to yourself. So in your "advanced country" medical practice, you take brief history from a comatose patient who coded and was brought to the ER? SMH. I don't think you have an idea what the thrash you spewed above did to your credibility.
You AMBU-bagged a patient. Tough luck. That is the nature of the career you chose and the environment you work in. And in the whole unit, you were the only one available to provide ventilatory assist? Granted that Nigeria hospitals are ill equipped, most of you came into the profession because mommy and daddy said so. Of course, which means you are psychologically bereft of the characteristics that make a good doctor. Perhaps, the allure of phantom prestige takes higher priority than patients' care in your deluded world.
/

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Shelve Your Planned Nationwide Protest – DSS Warns Organised Labour NLC, TUC / Clem Agba: We Are Heading For Second Recession In Four Years / Tinubu Approves Exit Of Public Varsities, Polytechnics From IPPIS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 185
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.