Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,502 members, 7,781,528 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:13 PM

Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” (33254 Views)

Game Of Thrones Season 7 Episode 6 Discussion (Terrible Spoilers!) / VIDEO: Will Smith Lashed For His Fake Nigerian Accent In Concussion / "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Fabulous47(m): 10:39am On Sep 01, 2015
His he an American? If no, just swerve!
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by kechywillz(m): 10:39am On Sep 01, 2015
sad
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 01, 2015
grin
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Jarchi(m): 10:40am On Sep 01, 2015
He tried,if twaz one of us,he wud have faked accent
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by AfroKnight: 10:40am On Sep 01, 2015
The accent is not naija.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Psychedelia(m): 10:40am On Sep 01, 2015
Reminds me of Morgan Freeman's catastrophic FAILURE of a Xhosa accent as Nelson Mandela in "Invictus" - a film for which he was still nominated for an oscar in the "Best Actor" category.
Hollywood actors are absolute failures when it comes to portraying Africans in their movies, as most of the character development reeks of laziness and poor research.

Only very few Hollywood actors have impressed me with their portrayal of African characters, both in accent and swagger:

Forest Whitaker as Idi Amin in "The Last King of Scotland".
Leonardo DiCaprio as Danny Archer in "Blood Diamond".
Don Cheadle as Paul Rusesabagina in "Hotel Rwanda".

Everybody else annoys me.

2 Likes

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Deesick7(m): 10:40am On Sep 01, 2015
The Nigerian accent is especially hard to muster. I dnt really blame him if he couldn't speak it up to par. U try to speak the American English or Russian English n ur listeners will find notable difference in ur affectation. Hw many years do you think dey shot d movie for, even David oyelowo and chiewetel Ejiofor both Nigerian but American and British based actors can't perform being a Nigerian too well. If dey want d perfect Nigerian accent, let dem cum an choose Chiewetalu Azu, Ramsey Noah or Odunlade Adekola.

3 Likes

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 01, 2015
Dr. Bennet Ifekandu Omalu is from Anambra State in case you don't know! Umu Anaedo kwenu!! cool cool

1 Like

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by missKiffy(f): 10:41am On Sep 01, 2015
Accent no matter jare, after all he is not Nigerian
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by franksam2009: 10:42am On Sep 01, 2015
How will this reduce the price of gari in the market
How will this help buhari fulfill his 100 days in office promise??
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by U2ice(m): 10:43am On Sep 01, 2015
Op no way he cud av gottn d accent so accurately...he tried
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by gladys470(f): 10:45am On Sep 01, 2015
You don't even understand your self...you say Nigerian as different accents.. do you want him to speak all of them.. free the man .. he tried.

2 Likes

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Alihkizito(m): 10:46am On Sep 01, 2015
Am a different person
?

[

quote author=b0y post=

37553465].[/quote]
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by tsdarkside(m): 10:46am On Sep 01, 2015
will smith is a half-cast homosexual.....
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Nobody: 10:46am On Sep 01, 2015
Making brains... grin
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Mcowubaba: 10:47am On Sep 01, 2015
b0y:
What happened to using David Oyelowo for this strategic role

on the other hand, i think that Will Smith is ageing UNgracefully or is it just me
David gat thick british accent....
It may be tougher for him to do it..
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Nobody: 10:47am On Sep 01, 2015
nex:

Will Smith stars in the new movie Concussion which is the real-life story of Nigerian-American doctor Bennet Ifekandu Omalu, the doctor who first discovered chronic traumatic encephalopathy (or CTE) after he conducted an autopsy on former NFL player Mike Webster. The movie follows Omalu’s struggle to get NFL executives to recognise the life threatening disease.

The movie is set for release in December.

While watching the movie trailer which was just released the one thing that struck me was Will Smith’s terrible “Nigerian” accent.

I do not know any Nigerian or Nigeria/American that speaks with the accent Will Smith is using in this movie. The accent sounds very East/Southern African to me. I would have expected an actor of Will Smith’s caliber to have done thorough research before taking on a movie like this and not followed the path of other mediocre actors who have also wrongly portrayed the Nigerian accent on film.

Surely it can’t be that hard to find Nigerians in America…I am disappointed…Big Willy fell my hand.

Americans need to realize Africans don’t all have the same accent…

Watch the trailer below & you decide if he nailed the Nigerian accent or not. I have also included a video of Bennet Omalu so you can listen for yourself & compare the accents.

Concussion Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk-1TLVUPZk

Dr. Bennett Omalu Speaking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOKvhcBelwQ

I rest my case…

SOURCE: http://www.that1960chick.com/2015/09/01/will-smith-has-a-really-terrible-nigerian-accent-as-he-portrays-dr-bennet-omalu-in-new-movie-concussion

In these cases, it's always good to ask, "What's important?" Three things: The Acting, The Story and The Accent (Specialized Interpretation of Character). If he perfected the Acting (Universal Interpretation of Character), that's fine. If the Story told was perfect in its plot line & characterization, that's fine. If he however didn't perfectly get the Specialized Interpretation of Character (the Accent of Mr Omalu), then that's not a big deal. No one will know and frankly, no one cares. The film being shot for a global audience emphasizes that not many people even know what a Nigerian sounds like. It's not a big deal indeed. The Story first, then the Acting. Abi will you tell me what attracted you to view the trailer was the promise of the accent and not the engaging story line? smiley

5 Likes

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by NovusHomo(m): 10:48am On Sep 01, 2015
b0y:

on the other hand, i think that Will Smith is ageing UNgracefully or is it just me

Oh, sure, why not? You are free to use David Oyelowo in your next movie production. Armchair critic.

1 Like

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by ezeagu(m): 10:51am On Sep 01, 2015
Antoinne:
Complain first about the many so-called american returnees played by the many terrible Nigerian actors. Why do you guys immediately demand more from a movie industry that isn't yours, yet you act as though there isn't no energy to put into the horrible nollywood you have? undecided

Truth.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Nobody: 10:52am On Sep 01, 2015
Igbo always making Nigerians proud. My bad, [s]we are the only educated tribe in Nigerian, it is only south west that can produce Dr. Omalu[/s].

All these children we no wan let us hear word for NL una see una self? Una see sey smart people and hard working people are abound in every tribes, likewise con-men, rapist, ritual killers etc. My dear people no single tribe in Nigeria holds the monopoly of producing best brains.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by sam90s(m): 10:53am On Sep 01, 2015
Inspirational!
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Dbboy(m): 10:56am On Sep 01, 2015
op is just has a complex i don't see any thing in using that accent, the movie was trying to tell us something good can indeed com from Africa irrespective of the negative news out there about Africa. the op should also know every single individual do have an accent be it British, american Chinese, Africa we do have accent so just shut up already.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by sam90s(m): 10:59am On Sep 01, 2015
Psychedelia:
Reminds me of Morgan Freeman's catastrophic FAILURE of a Xhosa accent as Nelson Mandela in "Invictus" - a film for which he was still nominated for an oscar in the "Best Actor" category.
Hollywood actors are absolute failures when it comes to portraying Africans in their movies, as most of the character development reeks of laziness and poor research.

Only very few Hollywood actors have impressed me with their portrayal of African characters, both in accent and swagger:

Forest Whitaker as Idi Amin in "The Last King of Scotland".
Leonardo DiCaprio as Danny Archer in "Blood Diamond".
Don Cheadle as Paul Rusesabagina in "Hotel Rwanda".

Everybody else annoys me.

Chinwetelle Ejiofor and David Oyelowo nko?
Half of a Yellow Sun & Blood & Oil respectively

By the way, I honestly see nothing catastrophic about Morgan Freeman's performance in Invictus, to me that ranks among his best ever performance. Only performance on your list that can called catastrophic is Di Caprio's Blood Diamond.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by OracleMxNelson(m): 10:59am On Sep 01, 2015
the story is not about Dr Omalu's accent

1 Like

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by khalhokage(m): 11:00am On Sep 01, 2015
b0y:

Or Chiwetel Ejiofor

3 Likes

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by tomdon(m): 11:04am On Sep 01, 2015
nex:

Will Smith stars in the new movie Concussion which is the real-life story of Nigerian-American doctor Bennet Ifekandu Omalu, the doctor who first discovered chronic traumatic encephalopathy (or CTE) after he conducted an autopsy on former NFL player Mike Webster. The movie follows Omalu’s struggle to get NFL executives to recognise the life threatening disease.

The movie is set for release in December.

While watching the movie trailer which was just released the one thing that struck me was Will Smith’s terrible “Nigerian” accent.

I do not know any Nigerian or Nigeria/American that speaks with the accent Will Smith is using in this movie. The accent sounds very East/Southern African to me. I would have expected an actor of Will Smith’s caliber to have done thorough research before taking on a movie like this and not followed the path of other mediocre actors who have also wrongly portrayed the Nigerian accent on film.

Surely it can’t be that hard to find Nigerians in America…I am disappointed…Big Willy fell my hand.

Americans need to realize Africans don’t all have the same accent…

Watch the trailer below & you decide if he nailed the Nigerian accent or not. I have also included a video of Bennet Omalu so you can listen for yourself & compare the accents.

Concussion Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk-1TLVUPZk

Dr. Bennett Omalu Speaking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOKvhcBelwQ

I rest my case…

SOURCE: http://www.that1960chick.com/2015/09/01/will-smith-has-a-really-terrible-nigerian-accent-as-he-portrays-dr-bennet-omalu-in-new-movie-concussion

maybe u want him to speak in your dialect I don't know
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by ezeagu(m): 11:08am On Sep 01, 2015
Jarchi:
He tried,if twaz one of us,he wud have faked accent

? ? ?
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by shizzy7(f): 11:12am On Sep 01, 2015
Christine01:
But Dr Bennett Omalu's accent is not fully Nigerian na.
He just left Nigeria around 1993, He graduated from University of Nigeria Nsukka (Bsc)

2 Likes

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by urchbarbie(f): 11:13am On Sep 01, 2015
it wasnt so bad.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by ARareGem(f): 11:13am On Sep 01, 2015
It was a terrible accent, not much different from Nigerians trying to act with an American accent. Truth is I expected more from Will.

In the end this will not affect the sales of the movie.... But at least, we made our grievances heard. Lol. grin
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Faita: 11:14am On Sep 01, 2015
I think it is a shame that we make light of this. Every actor tries to represent his character in the most accurate light. I hope that Will did better in the rest of the movie.

At the same time, Nigerians have not done so well to maintain a unique identity. Our cultural ambassadors - the most visible people in our media: OAPs, actors/actresses, brand ambassadors like sportsmen and -women etc - do their best to obliterate the Nigerian unique sound when they talk. There is an obsession with Western accents that eventually results in the near-total loss of Nigerian uniqueness. That presents a problem for actors like Will Smith who may either never find good examples of the Nigerian accent to imitate or who may be misled by those really strange speech patterns that our ambassadors have adopted.

We could use some more national pride.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerians Blast Payporte For Hosting Kemen After Touching Scandal / #bbnaija: Viewers Regard Cee-c As The Strongest Female Housemate / BBNaija: Alex And Cee-C Exchange Words In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.