Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,859 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” (33284 Views)

Game Of Thrones Season 7 Episode 6 Discussion (Terrible Spoilers!) / VIDEO: Will Smith Lashed For His Fake Nigerian Accent In Concussion / "Concussion": Will Smith Plays Nigerian In New Movie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Afam4eva(m): 1:59pm On Sep 01, 2015
nairalandist:
Even Dr. Omalu himself doesn't sound like a typical Nigerian... I played both videos and I heard the way he spoke, that's like a middle-belt Nigeria accent, not the typical Nigerian City accent. Either ways, I'd say Will is a fantastic actor... I think they should have used Adewale Agbaje for the role, but it's okay, Will Smith's a bigger name so it's better for business. . .
Is Middlebelt in cotonou? Who said anything like a typical Nigerian accent? What is a typical Nigerian accent?

Adewale Agbaje wouldn't have delivered this role properly and that is why despite being in the industry for decades, he is yet to the main character in any major hollywood production owing to his physical build. I think Ejiofor or Oyelowo sounds more like it.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Nobody: 2:07pm On Sep 01, 2015
b0y:
What happened to using David Oyelowo for this strategic role

on the other hand, i think that Will Smith is ageing UNgracefully or is it just me
Actually, Adewale Akinnuoye- Agbaje acted as an American in the movie while will Will Smith acted as a Nigerian. Shows how dynamic the movie industry is.

1 Like

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by mya1: 2:10pm On Sep 01, 2015
sonnie10:
To most of them, African is one country. I asked someone the other day what is the capital of Egypt and he replied, "Nigeria of course."

Omg! This is pathetically hilarious!

I do agree with the Op here. If you're trying to depict someone, then depict him in his entirety.
For those that said Bennett does not have the Nigerian accent, he does! I bet most people just watched the first 3 mins of the video and concluded.
Will's portrayal of a Nigerian accent is laughable. Not even remotely close .

And there is a Nigerian accent!!! Irrespective of tribe there's an accent that's peculiar to every Nigerian that makes you call them Nigerian when they speak.

3 Likes

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by journerman(m): 2:10pm On Sep 01, 2015
and you want him to use a thick Igbo or Yoruba accent? I think he did a great job in my opinion. There's a limit to which you can adapt temporarily to an alien accent.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Christine01(f): 2:25pm On Sep 01, 2015
1stCitizen:

You mean the house niggas with serious inferiority complex issues? grin grin grin

grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by sonnie10: 4:21pm On Sep 01, 2015
If you have lived in the US for awhile, I am certain that someone must have asked you if you speak African, as if African is a particular language.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Nicklaus(m): 4:45pm On Sep 01, 2015
nex:

Will Smith stars in the new movie Concussion which is the real-life story of Nigerian-American doctor Bennet Ifekandu Omalu, the doctor who first discovered chronic traumatic encephalopathy (or CTE) after he conducted an autopsy on former NFL player Mike Webster. The movie follows Omalu’s struggle to get NFL executives to recognise the life threatening disease.

The movie is set for release in December.

While watching the movie trailer which was just released the one thing that struck me was Will Smith’s terrible “Nigerian” accent.

I do not know any Nigerian or Nigeria/American that speaks with the accent Will Smith is using in this movie. The accent sounds very East/Southern African to me. I would have expected an actor of Will Smith’s caliber to have done thorough research before taking on a movie like this and not followed the path of other mediocre actors who have also wrongly portrayed the Nigerian accent on film.

Surely it can’t be that hard to find Nigerians in America…I am disappointed…Big Willy fell my hand.

Americans need to realize Africans don’t all have the same accent…

Watch the trailer below & you decide if he nailed the Nigerian accent or not. I have also included a video of Bennet Omalu so you can listen for yourself & compare the accents.

Concussion Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk-1TLVUPZk

Dr. Bennett Omalu Speaking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOKvhcBelwQ

I rest my case…

SOURCE: http://www.that1960chick.com/2015/09/01/will-smith-has-a-really-terrible-nigerian-accent-as-he-portrays-dr-bennet-omalu-in-new-movie-concussion
And what's the complaint about Nigeria has a lot of tribes with different dialect and subsequently accent, was he supposed to use all the accent at a time. As Nigerian can you speak effectively two Nigerian languages without one being awfully accented I doubt that! Here you are trying to taint someone(an American) portray of a Nigerian. You surprise me! If your pain is that the accent sounded typical of the south-east, well i suggest suicide sad

1 Like

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by raphy(m): 4:57pm On Sep 01, 2015
whn i finish cookin my concussion rice i wl watch it n tel u guys if he tried or nt.so apy nu mnth pals wishin u al a blesed ember month stay safe n pray hard.raphycares
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by badinfluence: 5:24pm On Sep 01, 2015
Truth bomb... Hollywood does not give a rat's ass about your criticism. Just as Americans don't criticise the pathetic 'American accent in nollywood '... we should learn to mind our business once in a while.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by badinfluence: 5:28pm On Sep 01, 2015
mya1:

Omg! This is pathetically hilarious!

I do agree with the Op here. If you're trying to depict someone, then depict him in his entirety.
For those that said Bennett does not have the Nigerian accent, he does! I bet most people just watched the first 3 mins of the video and concluded.
Will's portrayal of a Nigerian accent is laughable. Not even remotely close .

And there is a Nigerian accent!!! Irrespective of tribe there's an accent that's peculiar to every Nigerian that makes you call them Nigerian when they speak.

You do know all Africans sound alike to the whites ba. There's nothing like Nigerian accent or South African accent to them. In their ears Africans talk slowly and single words out.

1 Like

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by memeguy: 5:33pm On Sep 01, 2015
I think the accent was alright. it's the typical accent of adult nigerians who have lived in the US for a while.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by tpiander: 6:04pm On Sep 01, 2015
In all his big budget movies, Will Smith almost never has the carefree, happy persona he portrayed in Fresh Prince.

I guess its because Fresh Prince was comedy.

as per accent, happens all the time.

Dr Omalu sounds more like a northerner though.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by cap28: 7:34pm On Sep 01, 2015
so much focus on Will Smith's accent and no focus on what the film was actually about.

This film exposes the corruption of the NFL and how it will stop at nothing to crush anyone who gets in its way.

Were any of you aware of the fact that when Dr Omalu discovered CTE (the disease that American footballers are susceptible to when they rec4eive repeat4ed blows to the head as a result of playing football) the NFL brought in their most powerful guns to discredit him, calling him a Voodoo Witchdoctor from a third world backwater country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by lacicrips(m): 9:14pm On Sep 01, 2015
Dr. Omalu is quite an intelligent Dr. I watched the over 70mins youtube video.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by bummyla(m): 9:42pm On Sep 01, 2015
So Blessed to be A Nigerian! http://www.bummyla.com
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by macherie1: 9:46pm On Sep 01, 2015
Will meet tried his best. I'm impressed
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Nobody: 10:50pm On Sep 01, 2015
What do u expect when ppl like Kanayo are not prepared?

We no fit sue them sef, I'm now even sure mostt of them knows Nigeria, whatt they know is lagos. See as one unknown man come dey form Igbo language for one Xmen movie.
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by Nobody: 4:00pm On Sep 02, 2015
Afam4eva:

Is Middlebelt in cotonou? Who said anything like a typical Nigerian accent? What is a typical Nigerian accent?

Adewale Agbaje wouldn't have delivered this role properly and that is why despite being in the industry for decades, he is yet to the main character in any major hollywood production owing to his physical build. I think Ejiofor or Oyelowo sounds more like it.

Afam, you should know what I was referring to when i said 'typical'. There's this regular accent for each major tribe; Yoruba, Ibo and Hausa. That voice of Dr. Omalu's is not one you can easily tag a Nigerian's because it isn't similar to that of a major tribe. . . Hope you get what I mean now.

And as for your citing of Ejiofor or Oyelowo as a better lead, it's still all about the Benjamins. . . The director just wants a name that brings more D's wink If you know what I mean...
Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by VillageBoi(m): 6:51pm On Sep 02, 2015
Ok that 'Nigerian' accent is quite frankly terrible... no argument there.

But why are we complaining when we're too blind & dumb to see just how incredible ridiculous WE likewise sound when we keep on forcing-guy some useless 'yankee' accent borrowed from some flea-market? Nigerian general public take note... Nigerian so-called 'A-listers' & wannabes take even bigger note. As your own natural accent dey shame you keep on squealing that ear-damaging crap in the name of being 'yankee'fied! Na only una fellow inferiority-complex brethrens una fit impress with that strange stuff. And that is the number one reason why Nigerian films do not regularly make an impression on the world stage! STOP KILLING THE EARS OF PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY SPEAK 'REAL' ENGLISH.
Bad 'audio'(accents) = bad film. Period.

2 Likes

Re: Will Smith's Terrible Nigerian Accent As Dr. Bennet Omalu In "Concussion” by SonOfEl(m): 7:19pm On Sep 23, 2015
tpiander:
In all his big budget movies, Will Smith almost never has the carefree, happy persona he portrayed in Fresh Prince.

I guess its because Fresh Prince was comedy.

as per accent, happens all the time.

Dr Omalu sounds more like a northerner though.

No SIR. Omalu is Igbo from anambra state. graduated from UNN with MBBS...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BBNaija: "Nina Is Pregnant" - Nigerians React As She Says She’s Not Feeling Well / Oluwasegun Kosemani, Jackye's Boyfriend Reacts To Her Pillow Fight With Mike / BBNaija: Nina Cries As She Is Unpaired From Miracle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.