Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,376 members, 7,808,317 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:15 AM

Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet (16190 Views)

Retired Soldier Sets Self On Fire In Agege Lagos / ‘VIP’s Not VP’s House Targeted By Boko Haram’ - Presidency corrects / Recap On Pastor Kumuyi’s Powerful Prophesy About Nigeria In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by proudly9ja(m): 7:45am On Apr 02, 2009
The purchase of a private jet, a Gulfstream 4XP with registration number 707EA, might have been attributed to the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), Pastor Enoch Adeboye, in error.
Documents available to THISDAY yesterday showed that the aircraft was purchased by five members of the church and will be run as a charter service, [/b]but priority is to be given to Adeboye who will be given “free rides” to ease his movement within and outside the continent.
[b]THISDAY had erroneously quoted a price of $28 million but the aircraft papers showed that the aircraft, a 1996 model, was purchased at $10 million (N1.4 billion).

The five members of the church, whose names are being withheld for confidential reasons, made a down payment of 30 per cent of the cost while a first generation bank gave a loan of $7 million for the balance.
“The aircraft is the collateral,” a bank official conversant with the transaction told THISDAY.
The aircraft is to run private charters, with proceeds to be used to offset the loan and pay for its maintenance as well as settle the personnel cost of running the aircraft.
“The business plan is well laid out,” another source told THISDAY. “The Redeemed Church did not put down a kobo. It is not their aircraft. Pastor Adeboye does not have a kobo in it. It is unfortunate that the man is being savaged all over the media and on the internet for something he knows nothing about. Unfortunately, he is not the type to come out and be defending himself or issuing media statements.”
The source told THISDAY that some members of the church had expressed concern about the cumbersome flight schedules the pastor of one of Nigeria’s biggest churches has had to cope with.
“If he wants to go to Banjul, in Gambia, it is a tortuous journey, flying from one connecting point to the other,” the source explained. “This obviously influenced the decision of some entrepreneurs in the church to have this sort of arrangement in which Pastor Adeboye will enjoy free rides and can readily organise his journeys. But the aircraft will pay for itself eventually. It neither belong to Redeemed Church nor Adeboye.”
The aircraft arrived Lagos from Bahamas on Sunday, March 8, 2009.
It is a transatlantic aircraft that has the capacity of about 15 passengers – depending on the customisation.
Adeboye had come under criticism in the media and on internet discussion rooms for allegedly being “insensitive” at these economic crunch times and for allegedly abandoning his simple lifestyle for the flamboyance of jet-age pastors.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=139813
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by onyengbu1(m): 8:07am On Apr 02, 2009
Much as I would love to be happy that Adeboye is finally not guilty of all these, I still think that this story is full of holes.

How does these church members intend to offset 70% remaining payment of an aircraft and its maintenance by running charters. Again I never knew that a bank can use the same thing you loaned them money to buy as a collateral. I maybe wrong shaa but the transaction details with the 'bank' sounded too good for me to believe.
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by Jakumo(m): 8:43am On Apr 02, 2009
Let us all rejoice by fasting and praying for 666 days, now that we know the luxury jet was purchased in the name of a few subordinates to Big Daddy, rather than in the dictator's name alone. May the swarming flock of Pastor Eunuch block the Lagos Expressway entirely and for ever more, Amen.

Praise the Lord, for those money-laundering charges may not stick quite as easily as they would have before this great exercise in hair-splitting tautology.
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by hubreality(m): 9:38am On Apr 02, 2009
Hmm, I'm not surprised; I knew from the onset that the news was a beautiful lie going all over the media especially on the internet against the man of God. These are sad appearances of the devil. Haba, someone will woke up and falsely cook up evil lies against fellow human and even swore with his/her life that he/she witnessed the transactions. Jets are for us humans. The way and evil manner at which they falsely wrote and said about it was terrible and bad.
If people will see how terrible and evil it is to our creator. Bearing false witnesses against anyone, be it religion or self. It's satanic, it's evil and it's killing. Sowing and Reaping are Spirit and Life.
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by lucabrasi(m): 9:48am On Apr 02, 2009
as a member of the redeemed church,i must admit i am supremely relieved that it was a huge misunderstanding after all,with this sort of arrangement,even if the church paid the downpayment of 30%,it is considerably less than 100% down payment,also there is a huge difference between buying a jet and maintaining same with the proceeds gotten from it and leaving it idling when not in use and still paying millions everyday in landing fees, we should however be careful in our utterances concerning true men of GOD
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by lafile(m): 10:20am On Apr 02, 2009
I wonder what the fuss was all about in the first place. Will it make anybody happy to see a 67 year old man flying 4-5 days a week for most of the year with each days flight muddled by hours upon hours of connecting flights and airport waiting time?
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by desgiezd(m): 11:13am On Apr 02, 2009
lucabrasi:

we should however be careful in our utterances concerning true men of GOD

WORD!!
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by Epiphany(m): 11:29am On Apr 02, 2009
Wow, i wonder if all those who threw mud at the 'Baba' would retract their earlier statements!
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by SegzyJoe(m): 11:50am On Apr 02, 2009
@post
Am sure his critics won't come back to this thread, they have achieved their goal. Children of error.
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by REALTRUTH1: 12:03pm On Apr 02, 2009
With due respect to Adeboye,,,how reliable is this so fresh fact?why did it take this long before this so called fresh fact has to come up?Bottomline is that until Pastor Adeboye comes out to the public to make a clear-cut statement as regards this saga this so fresh facts cannot overturn the initial facts about the private Jet.
I have not personally raised any negative comments on this transaction,,but for me to rely on a document certain people made available to thisday won't be that smart of me.What about if in a couple of days sahara reporters brings out a counter documentation to fault this document,,,that would even make more damage than trying to wave this saga by a documentation presented to a newspaper house.In the developed world,,pastors who face such public outcry normally douse the tension by holding a press conference to present their case,,,I sincerely expect Pastor Adeboye to do same,
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by AjanleKoko: 12:26pm On Apr 02, 2009
onye_ngbu:

Much as I would love to be happy that Adeboye is finally not guilty of all these, I still think that this story is full of holes.

How does these church members intend to offset 70% remaining payment of an aircraft and its maintenance by running charters. Again I never knew that a bank can use the same thing you loaned them money to buy as a collateral. I maybe wrong shaa but the transaction details with the 'bank' sounded too good for me to believe.

I don't know anything about the charters bit. That doesn't sound like good business sense to me.
However, banks can of course use the aircraft as collateral. Just the same way you can take out a mortgage in Nigeria using the same property as collateral. Though of course they would independently assess the ability of whoever is buying to pay, I would imagine.
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by Jakumo(m): 1:02pm On Apr 02, 2009
SegzyJoe:

@post
Am sure his critics won't come back to this thread, they have achieved their goal. Children of error.

Ha ha ha. Now let me see if I understand the words in boldface. Are you suggesting that Pastor Eunuch's detractors are all products of leaking condoms ?

This is indeed serious. I think the time has come to demand birth certificates from all contributors to this discussion, so that all guilty parties can be identified, quarantined and neutered immediately, to prevent them from engaging in any further breeding of similar mutants.
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by mustafar1: 2:45pm On Apr 02, 2009
roflmao,
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by Kobojunkie: 2:48pm On Apr 02, 2009
Oh WOW!!! So I was right in not believing the first version. Interesting!! Well, will wait for the next article to help

What bank detail sounds too good to be true?
If they were able to come up with 30% of the cost of the plane in that same country, why do you think that there coming up with the remaining 70% will not be possible? I mean the article does mention that this has nothing to do with the church itself, just 5 people who happen to attend the church running a private charter business. There are millions of businesses out there that run successfully, why would this one not work in Nigeria?
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by spikedcylinder: 3:15pm On Apr 02, 2009
Jakumo:

Ha ha ha. Now let me see if I understand the words in boldface. Are you suggesting that Pastor Eunuch's detractors are all products of leaking condoms ?

This is indeed serious. I think the time has come to demand birth certificates from all contributors to this discussion, so that all guilty parties can be identified, quarantined and neutered immediately, to prevent them from engaging in any further breeding of similar mutants.

LOL! grin
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by ifihearam: 3:24pm On Apr 02, 2009
You see no matter how rumours spread the truth will eventually showcase,from the second i heard about this stuff i had always doubted that baba Adeboye would not do such a thing and will not be part and parcel of such acquisition.I reemembered vividly when one of his sons in the lord Bishop David Oyedepo said in one of his preachings why one needs to have a mentor obviously Adeboye happens to be hi God ordained mentor.He said when he acquired his second private jet,he called Baba Adeboye on phone over the jet and baba's response was not encouraging at all.So why would he do such a thing when he kicked against it when his son did it.I thank God for vindicating my most respected servant of God and i have always believed in him
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by Kobojunkie: 3:28pm On Apr 02, 2009
With due respect to Adeboye,,,how reliable is this so fresh fact?why did it take this long before this so called fresh fact has to come up?Bottomline is that until Pastor Adeboye comes out to the public to make a clear-cut statement as regards this saga this so fresh facts cannot overturn the initial facts about the private Jet.

Why does Adeboye owe the public an explanation, if I may ask? What has the public to do with the private affairs of the church?

I have not personally raised any negative comments on this transaction,,but for me to rely on a document certain people made available to thisday won't be that smart of me.

Agreed! But why rely on ThisDay either? I mean most all their news comes from documents “certain people” make available, or not, to them.
What about if in a couple of days sahara reporters brings out a counter documentation to fault this document,,,that would even make more damage than trying to wave this saga by a documentation presented to a newspaper house.

Well, if that happens, would you not require some form of proof from saharareport then? How do you measure the validity of the claims made in this case. Do you just say that since ThisDay “mistakenly” posted it earlier and Saharareport did same, then it is true? How do you ensure that both papers are posting accurate news in this case?

In the developed world,,pastors who face such public outcry normally douse the tension by holding a press conference to present their case,,,I sincerely expect Pastor Adeboye to do same,

Depends on the pastor actually! Over here, most of the churches make the information on their accounts available to organizations that need access to it. The IRS makes most of this information available to the media, as needed. So, pastors do not really need to go out holding press conferences when not necessary.
In this case, this second story tells that the Jet is not church property and was not bought with church money. How does the pastor explain this when it is in the article that he has nothing to do with it.
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by bilymuse: 3:29pm On Apr 02, 2009
[size=15pt]Abracadabra!!![/size]
The more you read , the less you understand

Why has the church not come forward to categorically denied the first publication?
Why has it taken this long for a new magical documents to be shown to the magazine?
Has the magazine independently verified both the new documents and other issues surrounding the purchase of the aircraft?

There is no smoke without fire, something is fishy.
This is a cover up and hopeless PR.

Most people have already made up their mind: the leadership of Redeem church are corrupt and have fall short of glory of God.
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by Moves: 3:35pm On Apr 02, 2009
I am so glad about the new message, Pastor Adeboye is not known to be flamboyant, hence believing he would personally authorise such purchase sounds out of place, He is renowned to be modest even in his dressing, seriously wish other pastors in his church would emulate such modesty,
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by dayokanu(m): 3:56pm On Apr 02, 2009
Attempt to cover up. But failed.

The GOat Pastor Eunuch AdeJALE Adeboye has done it again.

One sin breeds another,

first he was obtaining money under false pretext, next materialism, next lies to cover up what next for Eunuch?
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by Kobojunkie: 4:05pm On Apr 02, 2009

Attempt to cover up. But failed.
Any proof of this?
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by donugapi(m): 4:05pm On Apr 02, 2009
If a pastor buys a jet, whose business is it?
If the money he used is legit and not stolen church money or any other form of stolen church money. We have a backward mentality in this county. People buy private jets for convenience. And given the man's heavy travel schedule, that's the only proper thing to do. Some people just believe that since he's a man of God buying a jet does not potray humility which shouldn't be the case.
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by sayso: 4:24pm On Apr 02, 2009
If I may ask members of the Church,was there ever a time (JET PROJECT) was announced for members to contribute to,cos a pastor of the church told me that he contributed 20k for the project.just ur honest answer pls
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by emiemi(f): 4:30pm On Apr 02, 2009
Jakumo:

This is darn too funny. Are you a comedian jakumo? If not, you need to satrt thinking about it o. LOL grin
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by joobreel(m): 4:46pm On Apr 02, 2009
Let him leave a gulfstream and buy a 'hockeyriver' or 'footballsea', to me, he is next after Jesus. Whatever anybody says, na him sabi!
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by PurestBoy(m): 4:57pm On Apr 02, 2009
Make una leave this man alone, Only God knows best
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by Nobody: 5:01pm On Apr 02, 2009
story? story? story!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by onyeokwuak(f): 5:14pm On Apr 02, 2009
There is a certian stage you will reach in life having a jet will not be a luxury rather a neccessary.Pastor Adebayo is a very busy pastor attending programs  and planting churches in and outside the country.Do you think it will be easy to do these works with the rigorous protocols of getting flight reservations and going through routes to get to these places of mission.He will defenitely need a jet to be able to do the job well.I think God approves it.whether he bought it or his members,thank God a jet is available.It will help speed up Gods work.
I think the press are begining to abuse their freedom of speech,they need to be checked.They are not yet disciplined.
It looks like i will open an office checking their excesses. afterall , its an employment oppurtunity that can make one go to bank everyday. Press beware !
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by Baro(m): 5:16pm On Apr 02, 2009
Sighs. . . . . .Atlast there is a soft landing for Baba Adeboye   lipsrsealed
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by Nobody: 5:24pm On Apr 02, 2009
This report is flawed.
common sense tells me not to swallow it hook,line and sinker.It smells of a hurried PR job.And there are lots of holes in it

Questions abound.
1.Why isn't any of the five people's names not revealed?i believe there's nothing to hide,so there should be no need for anonymity,if there is supposed to be a clearing of the air.
2.How do these "owners" want to recoup the funds they usd in purchasing the jet if Pastor is being offered free chartered services?Since we are made to believe he has this massive travel schedule?
3.Why isn't a copy of the documents shown so we can all see that it doesn't belong to pastor?
4.Why does a bank use the very item it gave a loan for as collateral?It makes no sense.Because the depreciation value would mean they couldn't sell it at the same rate it was bought if for any reason the 'group" didn't come up with the money.

I personally do not want to join in the chorus condemning Pastor,but my mind tells me something is really fishy.And the more these "details" come into light,the more messy it becomes.Because these details simply do not add up.

donugapi:

If a pastor buys a jet, whose business is it?
If the money he used is legit and not stolen church money or any other form of stolen church money. We have a backward mentality in this county. People buy private jets for convenience. And given the man's heavy travel schedule, that's the only proper thing to do. Some people just believe that since he's a man of God buying a jet does not potray humility which shouldn't be the case.

The above quote is missing the point entirely.Because I feel RCCG is already elitist.And this will go a long way to butress the point.

I'm not a scripture-quoting believer,but I know for sure this is a mis-step.
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by banom(m): 5:43pm On Apr 02, 2009
It is a big shock to me, i used to think that Criminals like Pastor Adeboye was indeed a smart Holy criminal, i never new he was only gambling his criminal acts, did he ( dubious Pastor Adeboye) forget one law of organised crime which says that, "the more you try to cover it,(crime) the more you expose it"   The man indeed is the bigest fool i have ever seeing.

Because he saw that his competitors in the church business were using his newly dubiously acquired air craft ( during the time of dare economic crisis)to paint his image black and spoil some church business for him, he and his conglomerates of thives cooked up some cover up story to decieve the gullible brain warshed public which is greatly made up of his cult church members.

Why did it take so much time for the well crafted cover up story to come out and why is he trying so had to defend himself.
Re: Thisday Corrects Self On "Pastor Adeboye's" Jet by lucabrasi(m): 5:50pm On Apr 02, 2009
why should they reveal themselves if they have chosen not to,not everyone likes courting attention in the public domain.

the pastor doesnt travel 365days in a year,also his travel schedule will in no way disturb these guy's business as its a matter of priort arrangements,how do charter services do it?same way they will as well

why should a private and classified document(to the owners anyway)be shown to the public,when they are not under any compulsion to do so?they are neither using public funds or church funds to purchase the jet .

a jet as collateral,is different from buying a kabukabu as collateral,if you buy the right jet with the right engine configurations e.t.c like the original article has expoused,you will secure a very good second hand value,besides i am sure you have heard of a "commercial mortgage"where a bank lends you money to buy a business premises.

maybe the details do not add up,because you have a pre concieved mindset of his guilt

so would you rather he gave the church funds away to prove they are frugal and not elitist?

buying a 4 billion private jet with church funds and 5 members of the reedemed church paying a downpayment on a jet to be used for business purposes and extending the "priviledge" to their general overseer to have free rides on it are two enormously different kettle of fish,and im sure the reason the man hasnt  responded to these issues is because of how preposterous it sounds to him

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

APC Registration: Lagos Leaders Allege Plot To Whittle Down Tinubu's Influence / Goodluck Jonathan's Democracy Message To Nigerians / Ondo 2016: Pdp Members Defect Enmass To Apc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.