Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,035 members, 7,799,515 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:25 PM

Religious People Are Driven By Fear - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religious People Are Driven By Fear (1849 Views)

Young Men On The Pulpit Driven By Tithe, Offering Honorarium - Gbile Akanni / Every Religious People Pls Answer This Question / Muslim Family Are Driven From Their Home After They Converted To Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 01, 2015
From observation, it appears that the majority of religious people are ruled and driven by fear.

It could be the fear of eternal torment, the fear of ostracisation from a group, the fear of losing family and cultural acceptance with the benefits, the fear of death or the fear of rejection by God.

It is difficult to think of any other reason why many are ready to follow and act upon the entirety of their religious scripture without proper due diligence , deep thought and application of logic.

So , some will blow up innocent people because they are scared of burning and missing out on the pleasures of paradise, some will cut off family ties to avoid being labelled a sinner , some will take part in shameful and weird religious rites simply because of hell fire or death.

Let me use a small analogy to contextualise this brief narrative ;

How will a father feel if his son is very scared of him all the time ? How will a mother feel if her daughter is always scared of upsetting mommy with the slightest misdeed ? Would a good parent not discourage this fear and encourage them to come closer with abundance of forgiveness and love ?

Which parent will condone a brother blowing up another brother in the same family all because the father was disrespected or perhaps even insulted ?

I truly think that religious people are very fearful people with a deep sense of insecurity.

My understanding of God is that he is LOVE, a soft, forgiving and nurturing type of love that wants us to come to him based on love and not fear.

Unfortunately , not only do our religious brothers live by fear , they also try to brainwash others and their children with this sick mindset.

3 Likes

Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Jeromejnr(m): 11:17am On Sep 01, 2015
Yes religious People are driven by fear.

But genuine Christians are driven by love and relationship. cool

1Jn 4:"17By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world. 18There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. 19We love, because He first loved us.…"

2 Likes

Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Nobody: 11:22am On Sep 01, 2015
Jeromejnr:
Yes religious People are driven by fear.

But genuine Christians are driven by love and relationship. cool

From experience , most so called ' genuine' christians are the most fearful when it comes to topics such as hell fire cheesy

1 Like

Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Jeromejnr(m): 11:25am On Sep 01, 2015
frosbel2:

From experience , most so called ' genuine' christians are the most fearful when it comes to topics such as hell fire cheesy

You are the one that thinks they were genuine or they thought they were genuine. There is a whole lot of mess in the christianity these days, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

When someone goes about preaching hell to convert people, why won't they be fearful.

That's the opposite of what Jesus or the apostles did.

1 Like

Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Nobody: 11:27am On Sep 01, 2015
Jeromejnr:

You are the one that thinks they were genuine or they thought they were genuine. There is a whole lot of mess in the christianity these days, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

When someone goes about preaching hell to convert people, why won't they be fearful.

That's the opposite of what Jesus or the apostles did.

My experience is mostly based on my membership of the deeperlife , rccg and apostolic faith churches.

1 Like

Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by johnydon22(m): 11:27am On Sep 01, 2015
I understand what love is even in a little way and that is one of the countless reasons why i can never be Christian/Muslim or Religious in a broad sense ever again.

Love is not self denial, love is not blood and suffering, Choosing one people over another, murdering your son to appease your own ego and vanity or grudge bearing.

Love does not infer enmity or violence, neither is it divisive or chauvinistic.

love does not stipulate unfounded discrimination against one gender, love is not hatred nor wrath consigning billions to an eternal torture because they have offended your ego or disobeyed your rules.

Love is not obedience conformity, submission, wrathful or judgemental. . Love is never contingent upon authority, punishment or reward.
[size=15]
True love is respect, admiration, compassion, kindness, free giving and acceptance. . And until now i can proudly say i have seen this in humans even if it is in a small scale..[/size]

13 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Rilwon: 11:32am On Sep 01, 2015
Very well said @frosbel. The below comment of a typical hell believing christian sums it up.

Wizemmanuel:
Jehovah witness dont preach to lead to to christ ,they dont believe in born again , they dont believe in heaven or hell fire , that is why people dont have the fear of God because they believe that there is no hell. … And when they want to pray they dont begin with ''in jesus name''.

2 Likes

Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by otipoju(m): 11:32am On Sep 01, 2015
I for one , worship God out of his love for me. The thought that the creator of the entire universe is looking outbfor me and wants the best for me is so invigorating .

Nevertheless, I am aware of some responsibilities that he has given me. If I take time to carry them out, all is well and he will be very pleased and rewards me for a good job.

But if I choose to ignore them, he brings my attention to it softly at first, a little harder if I persist in my disobedience, a slap on the wrist if I am not willing to change,and gives me the much needed knock on the head to reset my brain.

I love God for his tender mercies towards me but I am also aware if his "Aboki" side and try to avoid things that are repulsive to him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Jeromejnr(m): 11:32am On Sep 01, 2015
frosbel2:

My experience is mostly based on my membership of the deeperlife , rccg and apostolic faith churches.

They are not perfect are they? That was why the apostle John constantly talked on this issue of fear. Especially in the scripture I gave. There are always going to be people that will have that fear. But there are still those out there who who do not entertain such fearful attitude.

I mean, why should you even be fearful when you understand that you are righteous?. But its mostly those who try to achieve it through their religious practices that are fearful.
Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 01, 2015
Jeromejnr:

They are not perfect are they? That was why the apostle John constantly talked on this issue of fear. Especially in the scripture I gave. There are always going to be people that will have that fear. But there are still those out there who who do not entertain such fearful attitude.

I mean, why should you even be fearful when you understand that you are righteous?. But its mostly those who try to achieve it through their religious practices that are fearful.

I put it to you that the underlying reason why most Christians ( and I emphasise the word most ) do not want to sin is their fear of HELL FIRE.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1542673_hellfire_jpeg4d2d6f0521e78ca085a6c3d6a1189e6b

1 Like

Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Jeromejnr(m): 11:38am On Sep 01, 2015
frosbel2:

I put it to you that the underlying reason why most Christians ( and I emphasise the word most ) do not want to sin is their fear of HELL FIRE.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1542673_hellfire_jpeg4d2d6f0521e78ca085a6c3d6a1189e6b

True. But it still didn't stop majority of them from committing sin. And most of them are waiting for deathbed repentance. Which will eventually shock them at the other end.
Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Nobody: 11:40am On Sep 01, 2015
Jeromejnr:

True. But it still didn't stop majority of them from committing sin. And most of them are waiting for deathbed repentance. Which will eventually shock them at the other end.

that's another thing for them to fear, i.e rejection on their deathbed !

Do you believe that eternal torment is a fact ?
Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Jeromejnr(m): 11:41am On Sep 01, 2015
frosbel2:

that's another thing for them to fear, i.e rejection on their deathbed !

Do you believe that eternal torment is a fact ?

Yes I do. Hard to beleive right.
Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Nobody: 6:16pm On Sep 01, 2015
Jeromejnr:

Yes I do. Hard to beleive right.

so I was right , it is based on one form of fear or another smiley

1 Like

Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Jeromejnr(m): 6:19pm On Sep 01, 2015
frosbel2:

so I was right , it is based on one form of fear or another smiley

So how does me believing in hell mean I am fearful of it.

FYI, when God brought me to Himself, I never even thought of something like a hell, I was motivated by His tangible love and Joy which He made manifest to me.
Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Weah96: 6:31pm On Sep 01, 2015
Jeromejnr:

It appears that you're in the God business for the cash and the jewels. Yea, I read your conversation with Italo. If you only understood the framework behind the formation and distribution of paper currency, you would understand why you're talking rubbish.

Your HOME is in heaven but you must acquire materials here in the streets. OK.

1 Like

Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Jeromejnr(m): 6:32pm On Sep 01, 2015
Weah96:

It appears that you're in the God business for the cash and the jewels. Yea, I read your conversation with Italo. If you only understood the framework behind the formation and distribution of paper currency, you would understand why you're talking rubbish.

Your HOME is in heaven but you must acquire materials here in the streets. OK.

Crap!

What do you understand we were talking about.
Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Nobody: 10:00am On Sep 02, 2015
Jeromejnr:

So how does me believing in hell mean I am fearful of it.

FYI, when God brought me to Himself, I never even thought of something like a hell, I was motivated by His tangible love and Joy which He made manifest to me.

Are you honestly telling me that you never think of hell or the possibility of missing heaven ?
Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Jeromejnr(m): 10:05am On Sep 02, 2015
frosbel2:

Are you honestly telling me that you never think of hell or the possibility of missing heaven ?

As far as I live my life the way I am supposed to, why will I be afraid of missing heaven.

Many years ago I used to think of the possibility of missing heaven and as a result I tried to live a holy life at times which ended up after just one week and I was back to my old lifestyle.

Until God came on the scene and showered me with His love mehn. And that was it. It wasn't about missing heaven again it was all about knowing who this Amazing Being is.

1 Like

Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by mrZENographer: 3:21am On Sep 03, 2015
Genuine Christians are driven by the fear of God, while d rest of the world are driven by fear of man whether they conciously knw it or not.
Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by bxcode(m): 6:26am On Sep 03, 2015
Thank God you said religious people....religion has nothing to do with my love for Jesus.
Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by adexsimply(m): 6:42am On Sep 03, 2015
otipoju:
I for one , worship God out of his love for me. The thought that the creator of the entire universe is looking outbfor me and wants the best for me is so invigorating .

Nevertheless, I am aware of some responsibilities that he has given me. If I take time to carry them out, all is well and he will be very pleased and rewards me for a good job.

But if I choose to ignore them, he brings my attention to it softly at first, a little harder if I persist in my disobedience, a slap on the wrist if I am not willing to change,and gives me the much needed knock on the head to reset my brain.

I love God for his tender mercies towards me but I am also aware if his "Aboki" side and try to avoid things that are repulsive to him.
Can you explain what you meant by "looking out for me?
Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by adexsimply(m): 6:46am On Sep 03, 2015
Jeromejnr:

As far as I live my life the way I am supposed to, why will I be afraid of missing heaven.

Many years ago I used to think of the possibility of missing heaven and as a result I tried to live a holy life at times which ended up after just one week and I was back to my old lifestyle.

Until God came on the scene and showered me with His love mehn. And that was it. It wasn't about missing heaven again it was all about knowing who this Amazing Being is.
I really don't understand what you guys mean by this "love" thing. Could you please explain it to me? A very nice illustration would be appreciated
Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Jeromejnr(m): 8:22am On Sep 03, 2015
adexsimply:

I really don't understand what you guys mean by this "love" thing. Could you please explain it to me? A very nice illustration would be appreciated

Its a tangible supernatural experience.
Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by adexsimply(m): 8:27am On Sep 03, 2015
Jeromejnr:

Its a tangible supernatural experience.
Is that another way of saying it's inexplicable?
Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Jeromejnr(m): 8:31am On Sep 03, 2015
adexsimply:
Is that another way of saying it's inexplicable?

Well, you can call it that.
Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by adexsimply(m): 8:44am On Sep 03, 2015
Jeromejnr:

Well, you can call it that.
If you can't explain it, then it's a figment of your imagination

1 Like

Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Jeromejnr(m): 9:00am On Sep 03, 2015
adexsimply:
If you can't explain it, then it's a figment of your imagination

Yea, Just the same way scientists cant explain why the sun's atmosphere is hotter then it's surface? or how the placebo effect works? I guess it's all figment of their imagination.

I wasn't interested in you believing me anyway.
Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by adexsimply(m): 10:06am On Sep 03, 2015
Jeromejnr:

Yea, Just the same way scientists cant explain why the sun's atmosphere is hotter then it's surface? or how the placebo effect works? I guess it's all figment of their imagination.

I wasn't interested in you believing me anyway.
LOL @placebo effect..You weren't really interested in me believing you? be honest.
Re: Religious People Are Driven By Fear by Jeromejnr(m): 11:06am On Sep 03, 2015
adexsimply:
LOL @placebo effect..You weren't really interested in me believing you? be honest.

Nope.

(1) (Reply)

See The Man Who Starred As Jesus Of Nazareth / Jesus Christ Is A Mosquito, That Is If He Existed Facebook User Slams Christians / Does Tramadol Invalidate Fast During Ramadan ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.