Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,471 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:03 PM

Jesus Christ Is Yhwh (jehovah) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus Christ Is Yhwh (jehovah) (2151 Views)

DISCUSSION: YHWH (jewish) And Enki (epic Of Gilgamesh) Who Is Older? / What Is Your Reaction When Jehovah Witnesses Knock On Your Door? / Jesus Christ Is YHWH God The Father (greatest Mystery Ever) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jesus Christ Is Yhwh (jehovah) by tartar9(m): 4:04pm On Sep 01, 2015
johnydon22:
[b]This is one problem with people, twisting an obvious text to mean what they say instead of what it actually means.

For goodness sake it doesn't take even the delusional idea of holy spirit to see that the bible (New testament ) portrays two distinct characters (entities) in the person of Yahweh and Jesus..

John 3:16 For God so love the world that he gave his only begotten son.

Seriously if Jesus is same thing as yahweh, How can yahweh still give his only son who is himself too. . so yahweh is his own father and the son of himself?
Yahweh is the father here, Jesus is the son, its simply too obvious.

Matthew 3:17 And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

For crying out loud who is the person calling jesus his son here. . If Jesus is yahweh then who was the one calling jesus (yahweh) his son? . .

Jesus was praying to Yahweh when he was on earth, which supposedly was himself as you are implying. . who dah fvck prays to himself...

Seriously WTF is wrong with you all or is the holy spirit confused again in it's interpretations of your bible you need to stop giving the spirit weed grin
[/b]
you need the holy spirit to understand
Re: Jesus Christ Is Yhwh (jehovah) by Scholar8200(m): 4:34pm On Sep 01, 2015
menesheh:

Dear Christians,

I hate to break this to you but the Old Testament doesn't give a fvck about you. It's not yours & it doesn't address you.
Ouch!
Isaiah 56:3-6
3 Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the Lord say, The Lord will surely separate me from His people. And let not the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.
4[b] For thus says the Lord[/b]: To the eunuchs who keep My Sabbaths and choose the things which please Me and hold firmly My covenant—
5 To them I will give in My house and within My walls a memorial and a name better [and more enduring] than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that will not be cut off.
6 Also the foreigners who join themselves to the Lord to minister to Him and to love the name of the Lord and to be His servants, everyone who keeps the Sabbath so as not to profane it and who holds fast My covenant [by conscientious obedience]—
Re: Jesus Christ Is Yhwh (jehovah) by menesheh(m): 5:04pm On Sep 01, 2015
Scholar8200:
Ouch!
Isaiah 56:3-6
3 Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the Lord say, The Lord will surely separate me from His people. And let not the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.
4[b] For thus says the Lord[/b]: To the eunuchs who keep My Sabbaths and choose the things which please Me and hold firmly My covenant—
5 To them I will give in My house and within My walls a memorial and a name better [and more enduring] than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that will not be cut off.
6 Also the foreigners who join themselves to the Lord to minister to Him and to love the name of the Lord and to be His servants, everyone who keeps the Sabbath so as not to profane it and who holds fast My covenant [by conscientious obedience]—

You never said anything about my comment or is your Bible quotes trying to mend and merge the huge gap between the two ideologies.
Re: Jesus Christ Is Yhwh (jehovah) by menesheh(m): 5:15pm On Sep 01, 2015
tartar9:
you need the holy spirit to understand

Crap.
Show us the pictures and videos of the day you meet-up with your own holy spirit. Nobody needs any holy crap to understand anything. It depends solely on the level of ones gullibility and indoctrination.
Re: Jesus Christ Is Yhwh (jehovah) by Nobody: 2:55am On Sep 02, 2015
bingbagbo:
Is Jesus really God? There are many cults and false religions today that deny it. The Jehovah’s Witnesses, for example, believe Jesus was created by the Father billions of years ago as the Archangel Michael and is hence a “lesser god” than the Father. The Mormons say Jesus was born as the first and greatest spirit child of the Heavenly Father and heavenly mother, and was the spirit-brother of Lucifer. New Agers claim Jesus was an enlightened master. Unitarian Universalists say Jesus was just a good moral teacher. What is the truth about Jesus Christ? We turn to the Scriptures for the answer.

Jesus Truly Is God
There are numerous evidences for the absolute deity of Jesus Christ in the Bible. The following is a summary of the more important evidences.

Jesus Has the Names of God
Jesus Christ possesses divine names—names that can only be used of God. For example:

Jesus is Yahweh. Yahweh is a very common Hebrew name for God in the Old Testament, occurring over 5,300 times. It is translated Lord (all capitals) in many English translations of the Bible.

We first learn of this name in Exodus 3, where Moses asked God by what name He should be called. God replied to him, “I AM WHO I AM. . . .Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you’ ” (verse 14). Yahweh is basically a shortened form of “I AM WHO I AM” (verse 15). The name conveys the idea of eternal self-existence. Yahweh never came into being at a point in time for He has always existed.

Jesus implicitly ascribed this divine name to himself during a confrontation He had with a group of hostile Jews. He said, “I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM” (John 8:58). Jesus deliberately contrasted the created origin of Abraham—whom the Jews venerated—with His own eternal, uncreated nature as God.

There was a disconnect in ur argument. I thought you wanted to show that Jesus answer Yahweh too. I would have said something on that.

At Exod 3, you highlighted "I am who I am". however, at John 8:58, the verse didnt mention "I am who I am". secondly, Jesus was not there talking about his name.

Jesus is Kurios. The New Testament Greek equivalent of the Old Testament Hebrew name Yahweh is Kurios. Used of God, Kurios carries the idea of a sovereign being who exercises absolute authority. The word is translated Lord in English translations of the Bible.

The bold face is wrong. You might recheck ur source.

the word "lord/kurios" is a title that can apply to both God, Jesus and humans. The word means sir or master.

You are correct on the last sentence. The word is translated lord in english translations.

THE AFFIRMATION THAT “JESUS IS LORD” (KURIOS) IN THE NEW TESTAMENT CONSTITUTES A CLEAR AFFIRMATION THAT JESUS IS YAHWEH.
To an early Christian accustomed to reading the Old Testament, the word Lord, when used of Jesus, would point to His identification with the God of the Old Testament (Yahweh). Hence, the affirmation that “Jesus is Lord” (Kurios) in the New Testament constitutes a clear affirmation that Jesus is Yahweh, as is the case in passages like Romans 10:9, 1 Corinthians 12:3, and Philippians 2:5–11.

I think the problem started when you think that kurios is the equivalent of Yahweh in the NT. This assertion is not correct because kurios is used for the elders in John's vision too, (Rev 7:13, 14)

Jesus is Elohim. Elohim is a Hebrew name that is used of God 2,570 times in the Old Testament. The name literally means “strong one,” and its plural ending (im in Hebrew) indicates fullness of power. Elohim is portrayed in the Old Testament as the powerful and sovereign governor of the universe, ruling over the affairs of humankind.

Jesus is recognized as both Yahweh and Elohim in the prophecy in Isaiah 40:3: “Prepare the way of the Lord [Yahweh]; make straight in the desert a highway for our God [Elohim].” This verse was written in reference to John the Baptist preparing for the coming of Christ (as confirmed in John 1:23) and represents one of the strongest affirmations of Christ’s deity in the Old Testament. In Isaiah 9:6, we likewise read a prophecy of Christ with a singular variant (El) of Elohim: “And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God [El], Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”

I understand that the word God mean "mighty one" or "strong one". But i dont agree that elohim is portrayed in the OT as the powerful and sovereign governor of the universe. why? Because the term is used of humans and even angels in the "OT". (Ps 82:1, 6; 8:5) its used for idols too (Gen 35:2)

Jesus came as a representative of Jehovah God. As such, God could speak as if He was the one John was fore-running. john 17:8

Jesus is Theos. The New Testament Greek word for God, Theos, is the corresponding parallel to the Old Testament Hebrew term Elohim. A well-known example of Christ being addressed as God (Theos) is found in the story of “doubting Thomas” in John 20. In this passage, Thomas witnesses the resurrected Christ and worshipfully responds: “My Lord and my God [Theos]” (John 20:28).

Jesus is called Theos throughout the rest of the New Testament. For example, when a jailer asked Paul and Silas how to be saved, they responded: “Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household” (Acts 16:31). After the jailer believed and became saved, he “rejoiced, having believed in God [Theos] with all his household” (verse 34). Believing in Christ and believing in God are seen as identical acts.

The title God means a mighty/strong one, and it can still be applied to Jesus and even humans.

The cross reference shows that Paul spoke the word of Jehovah to these people. So they believed this, all of them. Do not forget that Jehovah God was the one who sent Jesus as a means to redeem mankind.

Jesus Possesses the Attributes of God
Jesus possesses attributes that belong only to God.

Jesus is eternal. John 1:1 affirms: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” The word was in this verse is an imperfect tense, indicating continuous, ongoing existence. When the timespace universe came into being, Christ already existed (Hebrews 1:8–11).

Jesus is self-existent. As the Creator of all things (John 1:3; Colossians 1:16; Hebrews 1:2), Christ himself must be uncreated. Colossians 1:17 tells us that Christ is “before all things, and in Him all things consist.”

1. Mark 10:18
"Jesus said to him: “Why do you call me good? Nobody is good except one, God."

What have u to say about that attribute?

Before the physical universe created, Jesus has been. no doubt about that. Jesus has a beginning. If you check verse 15 of that Col 1, you would see it say that Jesus is the "firstborn of all creation". how do you understand this?

I appreciate what verse 16 says and I agree with that, but verse 15 helps to show that it was after God created Jesus, that He used Jesus to create all other things. lets look at Heb 1:2, you quoted above:

"Now at the end of these days he has spoken to us by means of a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the systems of things/world"

Dont you agree that God made the world through Jesus?

Jesus is everywhere-present. Christ promised His disciples, “Where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them” (Matthew 18:20). Since people all over the world gather in Christ’s name, the only way He could be present with them all is if He is truly omnipresent (see Matthew 28:20; Ephesians 1:23, 4:10; Colossians 3:11).

Jesus is in there midst through his spirit which God has given him. Matt 28:18

With the holy spirit which is an impersonal force, all matters can be guided according Jesus direction. When Stephen was about to be stoned to death, he saw Jesus at God's right hand. He didnt see Jesus at the venue of execution. Jesus is a person, not an impersonal force that be at every place at every time. Of course it will be funny to state the during Jesus ministry on earth that he was at every place at every time.

Jesus is all-knowing. Jesus knew where the fish were in the water (Luke 5:4, 6; John 21:6–11), and He knew just which fish contained the coin (Matthew 17:27). He knew the future (John 11:11, 18:4), specific details that would be encountered (Matthew 21:2–4), and knew from a distance that Lazarus had died (John 11:14). He also knows the Father as the Father knows Him (Matthew 11:27; John 7:29, 8:55, 10:15, 17:25).

When God grants someone the ability to know through His holy spirit, all things you ve mentioned above is possible. Peter was able to know that Ananias lied when he presented his gift, some prophets of God in the bible was able to get a knowledge of something that happened in there absent cos of God's spirit. 2kings 5:25, 26.

All knowing Jesus couldnt have said this mark 13:32. Dont you think so?

Jesus is all-powerful. Christ created the entire universe (John 1:3; Colossians 1:16; Hebrews 1:2) and sustains the universe by His own power (Colossians 1:17; Hebrews 1:3). During His earthly ministry, He exercised power over nature (Luke 8:25), physical diseases (Mark 1:29–31), demonic spirits (Mark 1:32–34), and even death (John 11:1–44).

All powerful Jesus should be given authority. Should he? matt 28:18

Who gave Jehovah God His authority?

Jesus is sovereign. Christ presently sits at the right hand of God the Father, “angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him” (1 Peter 3:22). When Christ comes again in glory, He will be adorned with a majestic robe, and on the thigh section of the robe will be the words, “KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS” (Revelation 19:16).

The account you quoted said "having been made subject to him". who made it subject to him? 1cor 15:27

Who made all things subject to Jehovah God?

Jesus is sinless. Jesus challenged Jewish leaders: “Which of you convicts Me of sin?” (John 8:46). The apostle Paul referred to Jesus as “Him who knew no sin” (2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus is one who “loved righteousness and hated lawlessness” (Hebrews 1:9), was “without sin” (Hebrews 4:15), and was “holy, harmless, [and] undefiled” (Hebrews 7:26).

Many angels in heaven are also sinless. Does that make them God almighty?

Jesus Possesses the Authority of God
Jesus always spoke in His own divine authority. He never said, “Thus saith the Lord” as did the prophets; He always said, “Verily, verily, I say unto you. . . .” He never retracted anything He said, never guessed or spoke with uncertainty, never made revisions, never contradicted himself, and never apologized for what He said. He even asserted, “Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away” (Mark 13:31), hence elevating His words directly to the realm of heaven.

john 12:49

For I have not spoken of my own initiative, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment about what to say and what to speak

All authority Jesus has was given. see above, and compare john 10:18

Jesus Performs the Works of God
Jesus’ deity is also proved by His miracles. His miracles are often called “signs” in the New Testament. Signs always signify something—in this case, that Jesus is the divine Messiah.

Some of Jesus’ more notable miracles include turning water into wine (John 2:7–cool; walking on the sea (Matthew 14:25; Mark 6:48; John 6:19); calming a stormy sea (Matthew 8:26; Mark 4:39; Luke 8:24); feeding 5,000 men and their families (Matthew 14:19; Mark 6:41; Luke 9:16; John 6:11); raising Lazarus from the dead (John 11:43–44); and causing the disciples to catch a great number of fish (Luke 5:5–6).

Miracle is not proof that he is God cos God's servants did perform miracles.

Jesus Is Worshiped as God
Jesus was worshiped on many occasions in the New Testament. He accepted worship from Thomas (John 20:28), the angels (Hebrews 1:6), some wise men (Matthew 2:11), a leper (Matthew 8:2), a ruler (Matthew 9:18), a blind man (John 9:38), an anonymous woman (Matthew 15:25), Mary Magdalene (Matthew 28:9), and the disciples (Matthew 28:17).

Scripture is emphatic that only God can be worshiped (Exodus 34:14; Deuteronomy 6:13; Matthew 4:10). In view of this, the fact that both humans and angels worshiped Jesus on numerous occasions shows He is God.

Because of the way some translations especially kjv translated the hebrew/greek word, made it hard for some who are not conversant with the original language to view such rendering "worship" as being correct in every case.

Even Jesus himself stated that only God is to be assigned true worship. Matt 4:10. He didnt say only God and I is to be worshiped. As such all those areas the greek word appear for Jesus as you quoted above should be properly translated as "obeisance/prostrate or bow in greeting" not worship because that would contradict Jesus own words.

Old Testament Parallels Prove Jesus Is God
A comparison of the Old and New Testaments provides powerful testimony to Jesus’s identity as God. For example, a study of the Old Testament indicates that it is only God who saves. In Isaiah 43:11, God asserts: “I, even I, am the Lord, and besides Me there is no savior.” This verse indicates that (1) a claim to be Savior is, in itself, a claim to deity; and (2) there is only one Savior—the Lord God. It is thus highly revealing of Christ’s divine nature that the New Testament refers to Jesus as “our great God and Savior” (Titus 2:13).

Likewise, God asserted in Isaiah 44:24: “I am the Lord, who makes all things, who stretches out the heavens all alone, who spreads abroad the earth by Myself” (emphasis added). The fact that God alone “makes all things” (Isaiah 44:24)—and the accompanying fact that Christ is claimed to be the Creator of “all things” (John 1:3; Colossians 1:16; Hebrews 1:2)—proves that Christ is truly God.

God is the only Supreme Savior, other people who saved were raised up by God Himself. Ehud and Othniel was called saviors, but we know God was the one who made that provision. Judges 3:9, 15.

Jesus was raised by God to be a savior for His servants. read Matt 1:21, John 3:16.
Re: Jesus Christ Is Yhwh (jehovah) by bingbagbo(m): 4:04am On Dec 31, 2015
Amen

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Church Marriage Biblical? / Dr. Paul Enenche Of Dunamis Releases Prophecies For 2018 (VIDEO) / Practising Your Faith Or Not?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.