Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,308 members, 7,808,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:34 AM

Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? (2220 Views)

African Union Taps Buhari To Lead Anti-corruption Fight In Africa. / Why South-east Lost Senate Presidency - Okorocha / African Union Calls For 7,500-Strong Force To Fight Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by panafrican(m): 2:02pm On Apr 02, 2009
European union was  invented at the G-20 summit, curiously African Union wasn't.   Why is South africa representing the whole continent ?
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by beystwin: 2:29pm On Apr 02, 2009
panafrican:

European union was invented at the G-20 summit, curiously African Union wasn't. Why is South africa representing the whole continent ?

AU is not there because of Gaddafi. undecided
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by lucabrasi(m): 2:34pm On Apr 02, 2009
and south africa is representing africa because they are not only the most credible and best run african country,they have better relations and respect of the world powers
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by Lagosboy: 2:42pm On Apr 02, 2009
lucabrasi:

and south africa is representing africa because they are not only the most credible and best run african country,they have better relations and respect of the world powers

I beg to diasgree on this. AU should have been invited and not just one country from the whole of the 52 countries in Africa. I personally think it is a disrespect for the whole continent and it implies we mean nothing to the world economy. If the EU is the 20th country then AU should have been officialy invited.

South Africa is in no way the best run country in Africa.

beystwin:

AU is not there because of Gaddafi. undecided
Tony Blair travelled in 2005 to shake mad dog Ghadaffi's hand in the desert and went to seal lucrative oil deals on behalf of British companies so has condo rice done as well so whats the problem with Ghadaffi and the west.
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by Epiphany(m): 2:44pm On Apr 02, 2009
Another reason may be the fact that the EU is a collection of countries that have 'open borders' - meaning that since they share the same currency, operate free trade and population movement btw them and have a 'single voice', they can be thought of as ONE COUNTRY and one big economy.
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by mustafar1: 2:47pm On Apr 02, 2009
let the war of words begin.
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by Lagosboy: 2:59pm On Apr 02, 2009
Evryone talks about the tackling of poverty, helping Africa bla bla bla and when it comes to an economic summit to discuss the global economy Africa is left in the cold and one country is representing itself and not even Africa.

Epiphany:

Another reason may be the fact that the EU is a collection of countries that have 'open borders' - meaning that since they share the same currency, operate free trade and population movement btw them and have a 'single voice', they can be thought of as ONE COUNTRY and one big economy.

Not all of the EU have open borders and it is just the countries that are landlocked together (Shen gen) although the EU passport moves you freely around the EU zone. Not all EU member states use the euro as well. Why does the G20 have France, Germany, UK and then EU when the 3 countries are part of the EU already.

The same thing happened last year south africa only was invited which is absolute nonsense.
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by tpia: 3:02pm On Apr 02, 2009
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by Epiphany(m): 3:06pm On Apr 02, 2009
AU cannot be invited as 'one country' because the AU is made up of different countries, with different people, borders,  currencies and problems. Many AU countries are among the poorest in the world, are either at war or are just recovering from war. There are too many internal struggles within AU countries hence, the world does not see them as a body that can offer anything that will help the global crisis. AU countries will rather seeking aid and/or peace keeping interventions most times.  

In fact, i dont know how reliable wikipedia's data is, but i have just read from there that South Africa as a country constitutes about 30% of AU's economy. If that is not significant enough for the worlds recognition, i dont know what else is. AU has 53 member countries and one country alone constitutes 30% of the whole economy. That is enough recognition for South Africans.
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by mustafar1: 3:10pm On Apr 02, 2009
they have the right and left to invite whoever they wish. nigeria would have been invited but we are currently rebranding so the choice of SA.
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by Epiphany(m): 3:14pm On Apr 02, 2009
Lagosboy:

Evryone talks about the tackling of poverty, helping Africa bla bla bla and when it comes to an economic summit to discuss the global economy Africa is left in the cold and one country is representing itself and not even Africa.

Not all of the EU have open borders and it is just the countries that are landlocked together (Shen gen)

Thanks for the correction - those countries that are locked together make up one big economy and they all use the Euro as a joint currency under the European Central Bank. They also have the rotational presidency thing which puts them under one leader at any given point in time. I still think that is a major reason they invited individual presidents like Sarkozy and Merkel etc but still have the EU as one country.

must_a_far link=topic=256993.msg3679163#msg3679163 date=1238681425:

they have the right and left to invite whoever they wish. nigeria would have been invited but we are currently rebranding so the choice of SA.

I like your analysis cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by Epiphany(m): 3:17pm On Apr 02, 2009
Damn, how the hell do you use the modify button! Or is it my system that is misbehaving?
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by lucabrasi(m): 4:22pm On Apr 02, 2009
Lagosboy:

I beg to diasgree on this. AU should have been invited and not just one country from the whole of the 52 countries in Africa. I personally think it is a disrespect for the whole continent and it implies we mean nothing to the world economy. If the EU is the 20th country then AU should have been officialy invited.

yes,i agrew ith you [b]in principle[/b]but one pertinent question you seem to be forgetting is the fact that the african union itself have not harnessed and made the most of their collective powers,individually we are important to the world economy in varying degrees,but as a strong and united, note the emphasis on the strong and united,african union,not just in name,we are indispensable,you should ask yourself how low we have sunk,if the president of i.m.f a neo liberal institution is offering to be the african voice

Lagosboy:

South Africa is in no way the best run country in Africa.
Tony Blair travelled in 2005 to shake mad dog Ghadaffi's hand in the desert and went to seal lucrative oil deals on behalf of British companies so has condo rice done as well so whats the problem with Ghadaffi and the west.
are you implying that nigeria is better run than south africa?
if you r not,what country is better run than south africa in the sub saharan africa?
you have just answered your own question there,the only reason tony blair went there wass the prospect of another middle eastern ally in a volatile region,and a show of solidarity and support for libya and the ever present inducement of black gold, george bush csnr re christened the bin laden cousin bush,you think that was because he loves the olive skin?
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by KunleOshob(m): 4:51pm On Apr 02, 2009
This thread shows a lot of lack of understanding of what the G20 is all about. The G20 is simply a group of the top twenty economies in the world and south africa happens to be one of them. Though they are the only African country there they are not there to represent africa they are there on their own merit. as for the AU issue, AU is not a country so it cannot be invited as G20 is made up of countries and NOT unions.
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by presido1: 5:18pm On Apr 02, 2009
SA is in summit cuz they are in the top 20 economy wise, they are not their to represent Africa. EU is a trading block and have much to contribute in terms of the world economy.

Come to think of it whoz interest will UK, France and Germany protect in the summit when EU is their as well. Can't they all be represented by that EU umbrella.
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by Lagosboy: 5:20pm On Apr 02, 2009
KunleOshob:

This thread shows a lot of lack of understanding of what the G20 is all about. The G20 is simply a group of the top twenty economies in the world and south africa happens to be one of them. Though they are the only African country there they are not there to represent africa they are there on their own merit. as for the AU issue, AU is not a country so it cannot be invited as G20 is made up of countries and NOT unions.

But the EU is present and it is not a country. What is the yardstick for this top 20 economy thing if i may ask pls co si know u have a better understanding of economics
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by Kobojunkie: 5:26pm On Apr 02, 2009

[size=13pt]The G-20 (more formally, the Group of Twenty Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors) is a group of finance ministers and central bank governors from 20 economies: 19 of the world's largest national economies, plus the European Union (EU). [/size] It also met once at heads-of-government level, in November 2008. Collectively, the G-20 economies comprise 85%[3] of global gross national product, 80% of world trade (including EU intra-trade) and two-thirds of the world population.[2]

The G-20 is a forum for cooperation and consultation on matters pertaining to the international financial system. It studies, reviews, and promotes discussion among key industrial and emerging market countries of policy issues pertaining to the promotion of international financial stability, and seeks to address issues that go beyond the responsibilities of any one organization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G20_industrial_nations

@must_a_far , roflmao!!
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Apr 02, 2009
KunleOshob:

this must be a mistake. if it isnt then you are have no clue who and what the G20 members are?

For your information, no African country, I repeat, no African country is in the G20. Even the best economy  in Africa is nowhere near that of Mexico or even Argentina. By the way, Mexico and Argentina are Developing countries.

African Union was invited but South African was chosen to represent us cos As we all know Ghaddafi is prohibited from travelling to most European ||Countires. Gte your Facts Right SOn!
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by strangleyo: 6:18pm On Apr 02, 2009
That's because "20 most industrialized countries"

Out of all of you who have travelled the world. Please tell me, honestly, does Nigeria DESERVE an invite? Are we one of the top 20 industrialized countries in the world? The top 50? The Top 100?

Just to put things into perspective for all of you who think Nigeria deserves an invite, Our economy of 150 million people is $100 million (US dollars) smaller than that of Czech Republic's. Czech is 10 m people.
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by OutlukBabe(f): 6:36pm On Apr 02, 2009
AU is invited my friends. The Ethopian Prime minister is representing AU delegation. However, as usual, he just there to beg for aid for other poor African countries.
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by tpia: 6:40pm On Apr 02, 2009
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by strangleyo: 6:41pm On Apr 02, 2009
Fucking sickening beggars. I'm tired of them.

Look at Kenya. The morons looted the food allocation money. And now they beg for more from the west.

LET THEM ROTT!!!!

I'm tired of African leaders begging the west for aid as they proceed to squander and loot it while the populace starves.

Typical Africa. Nigeria is the same. Bribe taking leaders.

Africa is hopeless. No more aid embarassment.
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Apr 02, 2009
OutlukBabe:

AU is invited my friends. The Ethopian Prime minister is representing AU delegation. However, as usual, he just there to beg for aid for other poor African countries.

you are wrong my dear.  the south Frican president represented africa as per AU while the ethiopian president represented africa as per New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD).

Outlukbabe, long time no see.
where you been hon?
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by OutlukBabe(f): 6:47pm On Apr 02, 2009
South Africa is not representing Africa. They are representing themselve. The NEPAD represent African interesent. Scout the internet for news, you will come across the information. I cant remember where i read it, but Im certain, SA are not representing African interest there, they are representing themselves.
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by OutlukBabe(f): 6:57pm On Apr 02, 2009
I dont know how much u trust wikipedia, but certainly they have something here,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G20_industrial_nations
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Apr 02, 2009
outlukbabe, i can give you proof. can you?

Tedla Asfaw (16 Mar 2009) The Ethiopian tyrant who currently chairs the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD) and other eleven countries from Africa most represented by minsters were in London meeting with Gordon Brown to beg the “rich” countries of G20 not to forget Africa in their coming April meeting in London.
http://ethioforum.org/wp/archives/877

Prime Minister Raila Odinga is expected to travel to Britain to represent Africa at the pre- G-20 economic summit.
http://www.eastandard.net/InsidePage.php?id=1144008972&cid=159
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by OutlukBabe(f): 7:06pm On Apr 02, 2009
OMO IBO:

outlukbabe, i can give you proof. can you?

Tedla Asfaw (16 Mar 2009) The Ethiopian tyrant who currently chairs the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD) and other eleven countries from Africa most represented by minsters were in London meeting with Gordon Brown to beg the “rich” countries of G20 not to forget Africa in their coming April meeting in London.
http://ethioforum.org/wp/archives/877

Prime Minister Raila Odinga is expected to travel to Britain to represent Africa at the pre- G-20 economic summit.
http://www.eastandard.net/InsidePage.php?id=1144008972&cid=159

You are talking about him being expected.

Hey, I saw the leaders yesterday on ITV and I'm very sure I saw meles zenawi. Not Odinga. And they categoricaly said Zenewa is representing African Interest
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Apr 02, 2009
i couldnt tell who odinga or zenewa is? its not like im bothered who turned up. i was only trying to get some facts across.

meanwhile, how you dey? and where u go hide?
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by OutlukBabe(f): 7:13pm On Apr 02, 2009
ok, It is zenewa that turns up. check this picture, u will see the guy on the last row, behind the south african president

Hey, long time. how has u bn. busy on on Nairaland I believe.

Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Apr 02, 2009
ok then outlukbabe, you rock.

meanwhile who is the other woman?( not the german chancellor) far right, front row
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by OutlukBabe(f): 7:26pm On Apr 02, 2009
That is the Argentine President, Cristina Fenandez (not sure if that is how to spell the name).
Re: Why South Africa Instead Of African Union? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Apr 02, 2009
outlukbabe, you rock again

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dark Clouds Over The North / The Spate Of Nigerian Men Killing Their Wives in the US Is Alarming / Nigeria May Name OlumoRock(stone)After Obasanjo(Benin republic) Yoruba Ronu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.