Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,858 members, 7,802,750 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. (13710 Views)

Mercedes Reveals How The 1979 G-wagon Was Encased In Amber Colored Resin / Man Redesigns An Abandoned Peugeot 504 In Enugu (Photos) / Would You Buy This 1982 Peugeot 504 Station Wagon For ₦6million? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by skeletine(m): 7:43am On Sep 02, 2015
This 1979 504 car has recently been restored and upgraded to 2015 standards with upgrades in power steering, air conditioning, electricals and sound system, me likey wink.

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by magabounce(m): 8:19am On Sep 02, 2015
Some vintage shii right there

1 Like

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by tope24(m): 8:21am On Sep 02, 2015
hahaaaa, On some crunk wheel. Nice job bro. Sure you're gonna enjoy this lion.

1 Like

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by carbon1224(m): 8:31am On Sep 02, 2015
What's the cost of upgrade. Own one here.
Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by kingreign(m): 8:53am On Sep 02, 2015
Ikenna351 this is your delight, come see it.
Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by Ikenna351(m): 10:21am On Sep 02, 2015
skeletine:
This 1979 504 car has recently been restored and upgraded to 2015 standards with upgrades in power steering, air conditioning, electricals and sound system, me likey wink.

That's great. Congratulations!

What power steering system did you install? The 505 or 504 TI PAS system?

You can also upgrade to power windows, both front and rear door windows.

From the external door glasses chrome detailing, it means its either a GL or SR model, unless you fitted them in.

What engine is inside? XN1 or XN1A?

As for the body, its job well done.

Ikenna

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by Nobody: 11:07am On Sep 02, 2015
Skeletine the car still looks very new for this our present generation and the interior is still very neat no torn seats. I am just wondering how u got a car in this clean condition. Did u do any engine restorations and pls do post more pictures this one is not enough o.
Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by skeletine(m): 1:43pm On Sep 02, 2015
carbon1224:
What's the cost of upgrade. Own one here.
Send a PM, I can handle your upgrade.
Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by skeletine(m): 3:50pm On Sep 02, 2015
Ikenna351:

From the external door glasses chrome detailing, it means its either a GL or SR model, unless you fitted them in.

Ikenna
Walahi, I'm not that versed in mechanicals but I got a great guy that handles my stuff.
I can post detailed pics of the engine bay if you could identify the configurations.
The car is an SR and the body was done in Lagos.
Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by skeletine(m): 3:57pm On Sep 02, 2015
dumo1:
Skeletine the car still looks very new for this our present generation and the interior is still very neat no torn seats. I am just wondering how u got a car in this clean condition. Did u do any engine restorations and pls do post more pictures this one is not enough o.

It was used and passed on by an elderly man, having parked it for many years.
No restorations to the engine aside the re-installing of the air conditioning and power steering.
The seats were under wraps(seat covers) until I bought it so I have them in pristine conditions.

2 Likes

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by Nobody: 7:46pm On Sep 02, 2015
Ikenna351:

Ikenna

It's not a GL. The GL was never fitted with this dash, this was fitted to the GR and SR.

The chrome around the window frames is a bit of a puzzle. It was unique to the GL, but the GL went further with broader chrome trim round the front and rear screens. Early L models also had the broad chrome trim round the front and rear screens too, though the door class lacked the same treatment.

This trim was fitted to GR, SR and GLS 2000 models. The side trim was fitted to SR and GLS 2000 models, but they were only available in metallic paint finishes.

I would say this is a GR model, with bits from other models added. It looks pretty good too, if a 504 like this came up for sale in the UK or Europe, I would not hesitate to snap it up.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by Ikenna351(m): 8:53pm On Sep 02, 2015
Siena:

It's not a GL. The GL was never fitted with this dash, this was fitted to the GR and SR.

Yes, the GL/TI dashboard is different from series 2 504s (SR, GR, etc). But he said the focus was restoration and upgrade (modifications). And since quite a number GL owners in Nigeria removed and mounted Series 2 (SR) dashboards in their GL, I couldn't rule it out until he said otherwise. For example, PAN 504s had no power steering, but TI had power steering. But he swapped in/ installed one now.

Some people back then considered GL dashboards as outdated and went on swapping in the "newer" model dashboards, which couldn't fit well since GL and SR bodies were completely different. Funny enough, the GL dashboards looks better and very unique, especially the way the central vent comes out and goes in.

Another thing I found that suggested it was not GL were the door mats. The GL door mats were different and last forever "almost".

However, the front seats of this one are series 2 seats, while the foreign produced GL & TI seats were unique and completely different. But the GL produced by PAN had the SR seats (series 2 504s), just like Op 504.

We are still waiting for him to upload the engine bay picture, to know if its GL XN engine or the 1.8 litre engine.

Ikenna

3 Likes

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by Raymie(m): 9:41pm On Sep 02, 2015
Its definetely not a GL or an import GR/SR. Its most likely a PAN GR/SR. Many 504s PAN or import did come with the chrome detailing on doors and front/rear screens up till the BestLine era. The foreign GR had the clock on the much darker dash, no head restraints and the door finishes were much firmer. Also the faux leather was different than @ OPs Owned both so I can tell the difference. Besides, the made in Nigeria is obvious on the rear screen sticker.

1 Like

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by UncleDeeee(m): 10:11pm On Sep 02, 2015
The guru play
Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by skeletine(m): 10:19pm On Sep 02, 2015
Raymie:
Its definetely not a GL or an import GR/SR. Its most likely a PAN GR/SR. Many 504s PAN or import did come with the chrome detailing on doors and front/rear screens up till the BestLine era. The foreign GR had the clock on the much darker dash, no head restraints and the door finishes were much firmer. Also the faux leather was different than @ OPs Owned both so I can tell the difference. Besides, the made in Nigeria is obvious on the rear screen sticker.
This is a PAN SR. The chrome detailing is factory-installed but I have replaced the dash and doormats. The only difference between the original dash and this is the clock instead of the '504' letters. The front Windows are powered, seat are factory alongside the head restraint.
Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by skeletine(m): 10:29pm On Sep 02, 2015
Ikenna351:

Yes, the GL/TI dashboard is different from series 2 504s (SR, GR, etc). But he said the focus was restoration and upgrade (modifications). And since quite a number GL owners in Nigeria removed and mounted Series 2 (SR) dashboards in their GL, I couldn't rule it out until he said otherwise. For example, PAN 504s had no power steering, but TI had power steering. But he swapped in/ installed one now.

Some people back then considered GL dashboards as outdated and went on swapping in the "newer" model dashboards, which couldn't fit well since GL and SR bodies were completely different. Funny enough, the GL dashboards looks better and very unique, especially the way the central vent comes out and goes in.

Another thing I found that suggested it was not GL were the door mats. The GL door mats were different and last forever "almost".

However, the front seats of this one are series 2 seats, while the foreign produced GL & TI seats were unique and completely different. But the GL produced by PAN had the SR seats (series 2 504s), just like Op 504.

We are still waiting for him to upload the engine bay picture, to know if its GL XN engine or the 1.8 litre engine.

Ikenna
Here are pictures of the engine bay.
I have replaced the contact set with electronic ignition and doormats have been replaced.
For the fact that the car was parked for years, almost all plastic /rubberized parts had worn out /lost shape so I had to replace them all. I also changed the the round twin headlamps to the single square you see here.

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by Ikenna351(m): 10:58pm On Sep 02, 2015
Raymie:

Not all foreign made 504s had that chrome on their windows. The GL & TI models had it, but L didn't. As for PAN 504s, especially the series 2, all SR models had it, GR didn't.

From pictures op uploaded in his first post, they are not enough to say it must not be GL. Dashboards and seats alone are not enough. Some GL (PAN) had similar front seats and people have in the past removed the GL dashboards and mounted the series II dashboards, just like the one in the pictures.

GL (especially foreign made) had low ground clearance, irrespective of Tyre size, unless the factory front and rear suspension springs have been replaced with PAN 504 springs (excluding PAN GL). You can also know a GL from inside the boot. GL boot is completely different from other models, including L model that is series 1. Also all GL had independent rear differential, drive shafts and CV joints and different rear shock absorbers which are pronounced without bending over to peep under the car. The PAN SR had rear live differential and no CV joints. Foreign made GL had rear brake discs, while PAN GL, SR, GR, etc, had rear drum brakes, including L.

Etc.

My point is, you can change certain things in GL to look like SR, but there are things that must give it away on the body or when looked at from outside, if its GL, but not the dashboard, doors, etc.

Ikenna
Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by Ikenna351(m): 11:20pm On Sep 02, 2015
skeletine:

Here are pictures of the engine bay.
I have replaced the contact set with electronic ignition and doormats have been replaced.
For the fact that the car was parked for years, almost all plastic /rubberized parts had worn out /lost shape so I had to replace them all. I also changed the the round twin headlamps to the single square you see here.

Yes, PAN SR basically have the double round headlights as standard.

From the engine bay pictures you posted, the cylinder head, intake manifold & Air filter are suggesting the engine is not 2.0, unless it was replaced at some point with 1.8 litre cylinder head. However, standard PAN SR had 1.8 litre engines, though were all XN engines as well.

If you want to enjoy better fuel economy and long engine life span, I would suggest you convert the radiator mechanical fan to electric fan. It's very easy and I can guide you. The mechanical fan bolted to that water pump pulley creates a lot of drag as acceleration increases on XN engines in Nigeria, which add heavy load on the engine and consume more fuel. Foreign 504s all had Viscous mechanical fan, not the bolt on type you have. The temperature sensor on the radiator can serve as a trigger for the fan and it works perfectly just like modern cooling system fans in newer Peugeots. It will also help the engine run at optimal temperature for less wear and tear. You will marvel at how less noisy the engine would become, when you remove that mechanical fan.

Ikenna

4 Likes

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by Ikenna351(m): 11:28pm On Sep 02, 2015
Also,

I would suggest you install thermostat in that cooling system, which I assume is absent/removed from the thermostat housing. The thermostat housing is that metal part where upper radiator hose is clamped on the engine side or where the upper radiator hose stopped on cylinder head (engine), which is shown in one of the engine bay pictures you posted.

If you are interested in installing the thermostat,I can get the factory opening temperature for you. Probably the one in my ZN3J may work in yours too.

Ikenna

2 Likes

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by Ikenna351(m): 11:43pm On Sep 02, 2015
Observations:

From the engine pictures you posted, it seems your ignition coil is mounted around exhaust manifold. If yes, please relocate it to the left side of engine bay. If the coil lead is not long enough, get a longer one and move the coil. The heat coming from that exhaust manifold would make it fail intermittently especially when engine becomes hotter or fail often. The ignition coil on its own gets hot too. It doesn't need another heat to add to it.

Then, that fuel hose I saw on the fuel pump, that goes from fuel pump to the carburetor, remove it. I guess its normal new hose. Get an OEM (follow come) used one, unless you find a genuine new hose. That quality of hose should not near any engine bay. Heat engine produces makes that hose weaken faster. And you don't want that hose to burst when engine is running and very hot.

Ikenna

4 Likes

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by proo212(m): 11:31am On Sep 03, 2015
Another thing, looking at the rear wheels, you can tell the rear axle is a live rear axle (L/GR/SR). Only the GL/Ti had independent rear axle/suspension.

I believe the 2.0 in the GL were twincams as well. Ikenna you should know please confirm.

Ah memories... smiley
Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by Ikenna351(m): 12:00pm On Sep 03, 2015
proo212:
Another thing, looking at the rear wheels, you can tell the rear axle is a live rear axle (L/GR/SR). Only the GL/Ti had independent rear axle/suspension.

I believe the 2.0 in the GL were twincams as well. Ikenna you should know please confirm.

Ah memories... smiley

Rear Differentail is another name for Rear Axle.

2.0 litre XN1 engine in GL had only 1 Camshaft.

Ikenna
Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by lonelydora: 2:13pm On Sep 03, 2015
Choi, see Peugeot 504

1 Like

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by youngice(m): 4:10pm On Sep 03, 2015
Siena:

The chrome around the window frames is a bit of a puzzle. It was unique to the GL, but the GL went further with broader chrome trim round the front and rear screens. Early L models also had the broad chrome trim round the front and rear screens too, though the door class lacked the same treatment.

This trim was fitted to GR, SR and GLS 2000 models. The side trim was fitted to SR and GLS 2000 models, but they were only available in metallic paint finishes.

I would say this is a GR model, with bits from other models added. It looks pretty good too, if a 504 like this came up for sale in the UK or Europe, I would not hesitate to snap it up.
please ,How do you know so much about vehicles ,did you study automobile engineering
And from your posts on nl I've observed that you are always spot on because when I read a comment I research to ascertain if the reply is legit or fabricated and so far you haven't disappointed
How do you do it

1 Like

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 03, 2015
youngice:

please ,How do you know so much about vehicles ,did you study automobile engineering
And from your posts on nl I've observed that you are always spot on because when I read a comment I research to ascertain if the reply is legit or fabricated and so far you haven't disappointed
How do you do it
Something the Lord Made.

1 Like

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by majalisa(m): 6:07pm On Sep 03, 2015
youngice:

How do you do it
he is a winch,when ever I read any of his post I can't help think along that line

1 Like

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by Denn(m): 7:51pm On Sep 03, 2015
Don't you remember Super Ted?....shhhhh....that's him
Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by Nobody: 1:59am On Sep 04, 2015
i wish i could get an automayic 504
Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by youngice(m): 3:12pm On Sep 04, 2015
Nice
Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by debbydee(f): 3:54pm On Sep 04, 2015
kai how time flies. I remember when my dad used to drop my brothers and I with this oye pumping gbedu blasting peugoet 504.

#Sapelethings

2 Likes

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by brojero: 11:43pm On Sep 05, 2015
For the authentic SR look, you also need to change the hubcabs to this;

Re: Newly Restored 1979 Peugeot 504. by Chibzee2: 9:07am On Sep 06, 2015
Lovely ride brother, just feel on top whenever you ride cool.
As for sienna......i guess he was born in a car.....he just knows too much about them cars.., thumbs up bro... ill like to be like you when i grow cool.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Innoson Motors To Partner With Defence Industry Corporation Of Nigeria, DICON / Watch GM Korea Employees Storm And Destroy CEO's Office After Bonuses Cut / 12 Reasons To Do A Car VIN Check Before You Buy That Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.