Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,469 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:27 PM

World War II: 70 Years Later. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / World War II: 70 Years Later. (1268 Views)

70 Push Ups For Success By Livingstone Imonitie / Sport Oracle Football Prediction... Take It Or Cry Later!!! I Have Never Failed / Cause Of World War I (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World War II: 70 Years Later. by llaykorn: 9:22pm On Sep 02, 2015
So, it's 70 years since Japan surrendered to US aboard the USS Missouri, signaling the end of a war that hung to it's dreaded name fifty to seventy million casualties. How much it feels like yesterday, though! smiley

I'm going to write a short fictitious memoir of a World War II survivor who also incidentally lives to this day, too, and it's going to be in the post below this.

Who else wants to do this? We could compare and contrast... cheesy

Divepen1
LarrySun
Ishilove
1miccza
Donifez
Firestar
Rudepen
OMA4U
Kitme
Adanna28
Texanomaly

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World War II: 70 Years Later. by johnydon22(m): 9:31pm On Sep 02, 2015
Am in
Re: World War II: 70 Years Later. by hahn(m): 9:33pm On Sep 02, 2015
johnydon22:
Am in

I got the spliff. Did you come with a lighter?
Re: World War II: 70 Years Later. by llaykorn: 9:41pm On Sep 02, 2015
Typing..
Re: World War II: 70 Years Later. by Nobody: 9:50pm On Sep 02, 2015
Am in. After playing call of duty - World at War then I know a lot.
Re: World War II: 70 Years Later. by johnydon22(m): 9:55pm On Sep 02, 2015
hahn:

I got the spliff. Did you come with a lighter?
I don't smoke angry You didn't come with beer? undecided

Anyway let me probably hit my note book to write my own version of the World War 2 memoir, might post mine tomorrow
Re: World War II: 70 Years Later. by hahn(m): 10:21pm On Sep 02, 2015
johnydon22:
I don't smoke angry You didn't come with beer? undecided

Anyway let me probably hit my note book to write my own version of the World War 2 memoir, might post mine tomorrow

Since you drink, it is only proper you come with the drinks. Bring a lighter while you're at it grin

I hope you guys will be writing from a Nigerian perspective considering our involvement in the war tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World War II: 70 Years Later. by llaykorn: 8:47am On Sep 03, 2015
70 Years After:

"Dédülya, Dédülya!", Anfisa's shouts woke me up this morning. Her shouts always do. She ran into my room and walked to me smiling. Anfisa's smiles mean a lot these days when nothing else does. Her smiles gladden my heart and they help spread a big dark gown over memories I wish forever for to remain cloaked.

"Dédülya, today is the 2nd of September, today is my 8th birthday!" Anfisa cooed into my ears. There was a rush of memories as Anfisa said that. Bergen-Belsen, the survivors of Dacheau, the Jews, and tears welled up in my ears.

"I'm coming, Anfisa. Go and tell your mum to cook me some pasta. Grandpa will come wish you a happy birthday now. Go!" The girl looked puzzled but she immediately turned back and went. As the tears rushed down, vivid pictures from the fight tank at the of Kursk salient rushed without a stop into my head. I was just 20 then, but I wasn't too young to be in charge of one the 3600 tanks that fought the biggest tank war in the history of the world. I remember the sounds, the dust, all the blood, the lost friends, and shattered skulls. I remember the concentration camps we fought to liberate. It was really adventurous for young men like us to have to look death in the face like we did in those years.

After the tank battle of the Kursk salient campaigns, I was one of the many young Russian soldiers who were lucky enough to be confined to the safety of offices. Yeah, we were lucky because the last years of the war were the worst. So, the Kursk salient was the last action I saw. Hundreds of thousands of Russian and German soldiers died there in Kursk. My tank might have killed a tenth of them. I still vividly remember the words of Commander Ivan Konev after our victory. "Zhukov, you and your tank men, you made this happen!" That was 1943.

And two years after Kursk: two years after being one of the few confined to the offices doing practically nothing, we heard Japan had surrendered aboard the USS Missouri. We weren't sure then that the world had ended, but in the weeks that came next we knew for sure. The World War ended, and the world ended with it, for all we had to do after the war ended was to rebuild the world, our shattered lives, those cities, those kids.

I resigned from the Army after the war ended. I wanted to go back to Kamyshlov, where my father lived as an apple farmer to join him in running his apple farm. But I got back home to find that he had died of an illness while I fought on the war. I was dejected. I had no choice, so I took up the farm business all by myself. It was hard, very hard. The war had caused too much damage to the economy.

That was 70 years ago. Heheh. 70!

"Dédülya, Dédülya!", Anfisa called from the parlor, and I wiped the tears in my eyes. They weren't of sorrow, nor were they of joy. They were of pride. Of what I did, what we did. And they still come, 70 years after we did what we had to.

THE END

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World War II: 70 Years Later. by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 12:08pm On Sep 03, 2015
Are you a WW2 veteran?
Do you live in central or eastern Europe?
Are you a Jew?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World War II: 70 Years Later. by johnydon22(m): 12:46pm On Sep 03, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Are you a WW2 veteran?
Do you live in central or eastern Europe?
Are you a Jew?

The writer must be an outcast in nature and universal in sympathy, only then will he see clearly.

We don't need to be WW2 vets or from europe or be jewish, You only need your imaginations to write this

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: World War II: 70 Years Later. by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 1:09pm On Sep 03, 2015
johnydon22:
The writer must be an outcast in nature and universal in sympathy, only then will he see clearly.

We don't need to be WW2 vets or from europe or be jewish, You only need your imaginations to write this

Okay.

Better similar topics

-tales from an ex-slave
-Nigerian civil war veteran
-Boko Haram survivor's diary

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: World War II: 70 Years Later. by stuff46(m): 8:20pm On Sep 03, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: World War II: 70 Years Later. by hahn(m): 6:49am On Sep 04, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Okay.

Better similar topics

-tales from an ex-slave
-Nigerian civil war veteran
-Boko Haram survivor's diary

You are pondering what I'm pondering.

How is WW2 any of my business as a Nigerian? In 1900 Europe already had 24 hours constant electricity supply and in 2015 Nigeria is still struggling with 5000MW.

I do believe there are other topics worthy of mention like the ones you listed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World War II: 70 Years Later. by Nobody: 7:09am On Sep 04, 2015
hahn:

You are pondering what I'm pondering.

How is WW2 any of my business as a Nigerian? In 1900 Europe already had 24 hours constant electricity supply and in 2015 Nigeria is still struggling with 5000MW.

I do believe there are other topics worthy of mention like the ones you listed.

In 1900? SMH!:
Re: World War II: 70 Years Later. by hahn(m): 7:23am On Sep 04, 2015
dearpreye:

In 1900? SMH!:

There was constant power supply during the second world war. Unless your house got blown up that is

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World War II: 70 Years Later. by Nobody: 7:45am On Sep 04, 2015
hahn:

There was constant power supply during the second world war. Unless your house got blown up that is

We dey learn. These folks are well ahead.
Re: World War II: 70 Years Later. by firestar(f): 11:31pm On Sep 06, 2015
llaykorn:
So, it's 70 years since Japan surrendered to US aboard the USS Missouri, signaling the end of a war that hung to it's dreaded name fifty to seventy million casualties. How much it feels like yesterday, though! smiley

I'm going to write a short fictitious memoir of a World War II survivor who also incidentally lives to this day, too, and it's going to be in the post below this.

Who else wants to do this? We could compare and contrast... cheesy

Divepen1
LarrySun
Ishilove
1miccza
Donifez
Firestar
Rudepen
OMA4U
Kitme
Adanna28
Texanomaly

Heh.
cool

(1) (Reply)

Episode 1: Eke(python) ; Story By Joy Akosa / ‪‎Ladies101‬ - Part 5 "Mute, You Will Go And Pick Up My Sister." / Pen And Paper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.