Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,704 members, 7,805,891 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:07 AM

Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust (25580 Views)

Saraki’s N298m Bulletproof Car Rots Away At Customs Yard / 3 Basic Things Buhari Asked Me To Do At Customs – Hameed Ali / Hamid Ali Resumes At Customs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by ThisisBuhari: 7:12am On Sep 03, 2015
The new Comptroller-General of Nigerian Customs Service retired Col. Hameed Ali is yet to assume duty one week after he was appointed to the post by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Col Ali was appointed on Thursday along with Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Babachir David Lawal, Chief of Staff Abba Kyari, Comptroller-General, Nigerian Immigration Service Kure Martin Abeshi, and two others with effect from August 27.

The others have since taken their oath of office and assumed duties but Col Ali is yet to show up in his new place of work.

Sources said the former military governor of Kaduna State is not keen in taking up the appointment.

In fact, one of our sources said on the day his appointment was announced, the retired army officer drove out of Abuja and returned to his home in Kaduna for unknown reasons.

Col Ali has been Buhari’s Chief of Staff for nearly five years up till the time he won the election and took office as president.

He and others that had worked for Buhari either as a retired army general or a candidate running for office have stayed around him even when he had moved into Aso Rock Presidential Villa.

Speculations making the rounds in Abuja suggest that Hameed Ali may have turned down the offer.

“The colonel was not keen to take charge as customs boss because he was not interested in the job. He went to the customs headquarters in Zone 3, Abuja on Friday and since then he hasn’t returned.”

The source said Col. Ali was also at the State House, Abuja on Tuesday and had met with the President but the outcome of the meeting was not made known.

The source said the inability of the new customs chief to assume work has jolted the presidency and top party officials adding that highly placed individuals including Ali’s contemporaries had met to discuss the matter.

They may likely prevail on him to accept the job though the mission will not be an easy task, the source said.

Meanwhile a situation of uncertainty prevails at the Customs headquarters in Abuja.

Sources said there are some agitations both in the NSC and the World Customs Organisation (WCO), the body that oversees the customs services worldwide over the appointment of non-custom officer to head the organisation by the Nigerian authorities.

The WCO is a global centre of customs expertise and plays a leading role in the discussion, development, promotion and implementation of modern customs systems and procedures.

Some officers who spoke to Daily Trust said the appointment of non-customs official to head the office will bring many complications.

Sources said many names were sent to President Buhari but he turned them down and opted for an outsider to head the organisation because majority of them are not clean enough from their records.

The most senior officer, Deputy Comptroller-General (DCG), John Atte, has however taken over in acting capacity.

Reacting to Col. Ali’s appointment outside the service, some stakeholders had referred to section 3.11:1 of the Federal Republic of Nigeria Official Gazette No 24 Vol. 89 of March 25, 2002, and administrative publication which states that the choice of the Comptroller-General of Customs shall be by appointment of a suitable Deputy Comptroller-General of Customs (General Duty).

The Customs and Excise Management Act (CEMA) obtained from the Customs website does not address issues on the appointment of a CG, rather it speaks on the composition of the Customs Board Members.

Some officers who spoke with Daily Trust at the headquarters in confidence yesterday confirmed that Col. Ali was yet to resume as at the close of work yesterday.

Another officer said, “We don’t really know. Nobody can tell what is really the reason why he is not here. Maybe the big officers know but for the junior staff whatever they tell you may be a rumour. Some even joked that he is yet to resume because his uniform is not yet ready.”

Speaking on whether the delay in his resumption is causing a shutdown of the service, an officer said before they announced his appointment, there was a leader holding brief so all other activities in the service continue until he resumes.

“We have a leader. Somebody is acting on behalf of him and he is definitely the leader now,” the officer noted.

Although there is yet to be an official statement on his resumption at the service, an official in the Public Relations Unit told Daily Trust that the service will issue a statement once the new customs chief resumes.

He noted that the Secretary to the Government of the Federation should be consulted on his resumption since that is the office that handles appointment issues.

Efforts by our reporter to reach the new customs boss failed as he did not pick calls neither did he reply the text messages sent to him.
http://dailytrust.com.ng/news/news/why-hameed-ali-is-yet-to-report-at-customs/109203.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by Nobody: 7:12am On Sep 03, 2015
sad
Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by BeeBeeOoh(m): 7:12am On Sep 03, 2015
Ok! Ayaf hadew..
Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by sammyj: 7:12am On Sep 03, 2015
When will this wailing stop. OP and the wailers should note that PMB remains our President for the next 4 years and should be ready to wail for this next 8 years because PMB will spend his 8 years if he continues with his anti corruption crusade !!!
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2739269_clvrh3ow8aawwho_jpegb9410a887cc29efdba8c24c0caffdad6

19 Likes

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by donholy28(m): 7:15am On Sep 03, 2015
If he's not interested in d post then he should give it to me..I go assume office sharperly

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by frodobee: 7:22am On Sep 03, 2015
Frodobee :

Maybe he lobbied for COS
Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by Nobody: 7:22am On Sep 03, 2015
donholy28:
If he's not interested in d post then he should give it to me..I go assume office sharperly

Nor mind all this yeye old men wey their mate don die finish

them go still dey follow us dey drag the small work wey nor dey

mcteew

26 Likes

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by davuvid(m): 7:29am On Sep 03, 2015
He got the wrong appointment....not what he wanted.
Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by Spaxon(f): 7:32am On Sep 03, 2015
Wetin consign me with customs.
those guys are thieves.....

4 Likes

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by iamboody(m): 7:36am On Sep 03, 2015
What kind of rubbish speculation is this? Will Ali be announced without consultation? Ali must have known this for a very long time before his announcement he must have consented to it, so what are we talking about. It sounds so insane to me that Ali doesn't want the appointment, and you think the FG will still go ahead to announce him. Custom association of the world or association of custom of the world or whatever body should just keep shut and let us run our affair. I heard someone was caught with €4.6m cash, where was custom, contraband every where, waivers to Jonathan associates where was custom. Ali will resume and custom will be sane again.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by kokoA(m): 7:43am On Sep 03, 2015
I hear say that man no dey look face o. Custom officers go dey pray make he no start work else if dem do anyhow, dem go see anyhow fa.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by san316(m): 7:45am On Sep 03, 2015
Guess he was expecting something else. However, I'm sure his accepting or not of the appointment is not for the money cos customs is the best place to hit it big. Good to know that public offices can be rejected by men of true honor and grit.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by dialfa: 7:50am On Sep 03, 2015
"His uniform is not yet ready" may not be a joke afterall.

3 Likes

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by hassan85(m): 7:56am On Sep 03, 2015
For him to be rejecting the appointment if its true is to show how dirty dt customs is. imagine someone reject appointment in Nigeria... hmn

9 Likes

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by RockMaxi: 8:05am On Sep 03, 2015
Well, he should be appointed to NNPC to truly test his integrity.
As far as I know the man may probably be assessing the situation.

4 Likes

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by ylaa(f): 8:05am On Sep 03, 2015
fear of the uknown
with sai baba, you have to think twice before accepting a post.

2 Likes

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by Nobody: 8:05am On Sep 03, 2015
Custom laws and guidelines might be like rocket science to Hamed Ali. Maybe this is why he has chosen to go for a crash course.

2 Likes

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by shizzy7(f): 8:06am On Sep 03, 2015
Before nko,,

He's a former military man
He just can't Gatecrash into custom things like that

TOO much corruption in that sector

1 Like

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by seankay(m): 8:06am On Sep 03, 2015
Buhari should appoint me if he's not interested. I will do a great job if appointed

1 Like

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by Nobody: 8:06am On Sep 03, 2015
The man on seeing all d jazz and juju that has being planted by the wicked Yoruba custom officers may have rans away.
Who want die?

4 Likes

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by NinaArsenal(f): 8:06am On Sep 03, 2015
Ok.
Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by lincolnj88: 8:07am On Sep 03, 2015
grin its just like asking the lizard to lead the ant or asking the lion to lead the cattle....
So where is professionalism in asking a retired police to lead the custom....
We the wailers calledd it foolishness compounded with bigotry leading to zenith human disusefullness while omenka and dat hungry demdem call it integrity

2 Likes

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by tunmmyunited(m): 8:08am On Sep 03, 2015
Wats my own?
Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by Leyemoshood: 8:08am On Sep 03, 2015
i think they make consultations before appointing someone? somebody should please educate me grin

in other news,order your football jerseys
https://www.nairaland.com/2447345/2015-2016-new-jerseys-available/3
Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by praisekeyz(m): 8:08am On Sep 03, 2015
Abeg dis one is too long o....anyow we yaf hald.
Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by TheNextAce: 8:08am On Sep 03, 2015
Please give me the position if you don't want grin
Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by Nobody: 8:08am On Sep 03, 2015
sssw
Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by jimfend: 8:09am On Sep 03, 2015
These things keep happening. Why?
Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by Sanfranka(m): 8:09am On Sep 03, 2015
Guys a philipine lady proposed to me... Should i say yes
Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by Nobody: 8:09am On Sep 03, 2015
Ok.we hv heard
Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by MrMcJay(m): 8:09am On Sep 03, 2015
The Nigerian Customs Service is the best advert for corruption worldwide and this new appointee knows what he is up against. It is one man against a whole force.

I pray God grants him the strength to tackle those pot-bellied Customs Alhajis that confiscate and bury frozen chicken in d afternoon and the frozen chicken ressurects at Oshodi market at night.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust by kokoA(m): 8:10am On Sep 03, 2015
Sanfranka:
Guys a philipine lady proposed to me... Should i say yes
say NO

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

DASUKIGATE: Jonathan ’s Headache: SUN / Why We Endorsed Buhari For Second Term – Seven Governors / States Paying Ex-govs Jumbo Pensions Top Domestic, Foreign Debtors’ List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.