Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,457 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:11 PM

The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? (1003 Views)

“Don’t Come With Charms”, Oil Company Says In Job Test Invite. / Unemployment - Why A Fool Is Always Successful In Job Hunting Than A Wise Man / My Experience Job Hunting At Linda Ikeji Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? by Makophils93(m): 7:26am On Sep 03, 2015
Goodday nairalanders.. I have got this issue that have been a torn in my flesh for a while now..I am currently an undergraduate studying a professional course in one of the Federal universities in Nigeria...just to improve my knowledge of the labour market, I do visit a lot of jobsites to understand d prospects of my course,but am never disappointed because it is quite marketable and highly sort after in d labour market... My headache now is that most recruiters place a very high prerequisite for these jobs... The experience required for some of these high profile jobs especially in private firms are very intimidating..most job adverts has some kind of experience attached to them, even d least ones.. Rarely would you see fresh graduate jobs..employees in d house, how were u able to overcome this bottleneck during your job hunting, did u have to lie about your experience to get this jobs or you initially sorted for jobs in establishments requiring fresh graduates ??... Pls do comment sensibly, because most of us are largely uninformed in this regard...
Re: The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? by Obinnau(m): 7:57am On Sep 03, 2015
The same thought have crossed my mind. I am also an undergrad but I believe when i come to that bridge i must cross it. Focus on getting a strong degree and time will show you the way.
Re: The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? by Nobody: 8:33am On Sep 03, 2015
It's good you guys have identified this nightmare early.

My advice. 1. Seek an internship when it's time for it, volunteer to do works that are in line or closely in line with your course if the oppurtunity comes. 2. Network with professionals (linkedin) in your course of study. 3. If you can afford register for professional exams to add colour and worth to your cv during your short stop over at the labour market. Points 1 and 3 will attempt to make up for your lack of experience and project you as a focused and promising graduate. Point 2 will serve for mentorship and help with getting you onboard your career path might come from there. Above all, pray and commit your ways and needs to God Almighty he will make all things work for your good.
Re: The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? by STENON(f): 8:43am On Sep 03, 2015
*Following*
Re: The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? by Obinnau(m): 9:35am On Sep 03, 2015
Bubewilson:

My advice. 1. Seek an internship when it's time for it, volunteer to do works that are in line or closely in line with your course if the oppurtunity comes. 2. Network with professionals (linkedin) in your course of study. 3. If you can afford register for professional exams to add colour and worth to your cv during your short stop over at the labour market. Points 1 and 3 will attempt to make up for your lack of experience and project you as a focused and promising graduate. Point 2 will serve for mentorship and help with getting you onboard your career path might come from there. Above all, pray and commit your ways and needs to God Almighty he will make all things work for your good.
Thanks for the advice, but what professional courses can an undergrad register for? I mean a professional course that cuts across atleast a general discipline?
Re: The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? by Tenny10: 9:41am On Sep 03, 2015
Our client company is into events and rentals, they are currently looking for a qualified female candidate who has previous experience to fill the vacant position of a Personal Assistant to the CEO.
Responsibilities:
• Receiving and making calls on behalf of the Company.
• File and retrieve corporate documents, records and reports.
• Scheduling appointments
• Handling information requests and performing clerical functions such as Compiling correspondence
• Receiving visitors and scheduling meetings
• The marketer is responsible for meeting the sales targets of the organization through effective planning and budgeting.
• Must ensure the targets are realistic and achievable.

Requirements:
• Must be a female
• Must reside in Lekki – Epe Axis
• Must be between the ages of 29 – 36
• Must have atleast five years previous work experience as a personal assistant or executive assistant.
• Must be a B.Sc / H.N.D holder, other certification will be an added advantage.

To apply, send your detailed and up to date CV to customercare@miratonmatadorgroup.com using PERSONAL ASSISTANT as subject of the mail

Closing date
13th September, 2015.
Re: The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? by Nobody: 9:57am On Sep 03, 2015
Obinnau:
Thanks for the advice, but what professional courses can an undergrad register for? I mean a professional course that cuts across atleast a general discipline?
In my understanding, no professional course cuts across a general discipline, as there will be no professionality/specialization in it. However you can obtain proficiency level certifications in some that don't mandate you to have specific qualifications in certain course of study eg NIM, general HSE. However to climb the ladder (associate, fellow member etc) in some professional bodies, you have to show evidence of further training and/or work experience. Professional courses are discipline specific. E.g ICAN, ACA, for those interested in accounting, CIPM for those interested in HR, CIA for those interested in admin etc. If you want, I can send you a 2 page document that contains the names and web addresses of most professional bodies in Nig, you can also google list of professional bodies in nigeria. Its same doc. I have that you will find online. What course are you studying? You might also find useful info if you dig into jarushub.com
Re: The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? by Makophils93(m): 10:16am On Sep 03, 2015
Bubewilson:

U just nailed it Bro.. But is there really no other way 2 outsmart dis companies and still have high chances of being employed, even with little or no experience as a fresh graduate?
Re: The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? by Obinnau(m): 11:06am On Sep 03, 2015
Bubewilson:
In my understanding, no professional course cuts across a general discipline, as there will be no professionality/specialization in it. However you can obtain proficiency level certifications in some that don't mandate you to have specific qualifications in certain course of study eg NIM, general HSE. However to climb the ladder (associate, fellow member etc) in some professional bodies, you have to show evidence of further training and/or work experience. Professional courses are discipline specific. E.g ICAN, ACA, for those interested in accounting, CIPM for those interested in HR, CIA for those interested in admin etc. If you want, I can send you a 2 page document that contains the names and web addresses of most professional bodies in Nig, you can also google list of professional bodies in nigeria. Its same doc. I have that you will find online. What course are you studying? You might also find useful info if you dig into jarushub.com
thanks, i will really appreciate if u send me the 2-page doc. Am studying agriculture and i am thinking of getting an MBA after school. maybe you can give me your opinion.
Re: The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 03, 2015
Makophils93:

U just nailed it Bro.. But is there really no other way 2 outsmart dis companies and still have high chances of being employed, even with little or no experience as a fresh graduate?
Outsmart? That I don't know. Even if you attempt they will still find out with your conduct and performance on the job.
Re: The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Sep 03, 2015
Makophils93:

Outsmart? That I don't know. Even if you attempt they will still find out with your conduct and performance on the job. They are core professional remember and you are just a fresh grad.
Re: The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Sep 03, 2015
Obinnau:
thanks, i will really appreciate if u send me the 2-page doc. Am studying agriculture and i am thinking of getting an MBA after school. maybe you can give me your opinion.
For the book, drop your mail address. For agric and MBA, its a good path. But I suggest you seek more/professional advice.
Re: The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Sep 03, 2015
Obinnau:
my mail Bleep@111.com i cant access my nairaland mail now. #modified

1 Like

Re: The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? by ednut1(m): 3:07pm On Sep 03, 2015
ur course does not guarantee ur career, we have science nd engine students performing wonders in banks, audit firm insurance firms etc. apply for grad trainee jobs dat require no experience. if u lie u hv experience u wud be exposed na
Re: The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? by Obinnau(m): 3:14pm On Sep 03, 2015
lalasticlala
Re: The Bottleneck Of 'experience' In Job Hunting, How Did You Overcome It?? by jazinogold(m): 3:37pm On Sep 03, 2015
my brother its never too early to start.... it is well brother!

(1) (Reply)

Job Vacancies At Monaco Ventures Nigeria Limited / Invitation Letter From Job Career Limited True/scam / Maersk Nigeria Limited Online Assessment Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.