Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:08 PM

The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe (27833 Views)

Vandora: Meet Vanessa Williams, BBNaija Housemate, Biography / Legend Extra Stout To Sponsor Big Brother Naija Double Wahala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 03, 2015
“I wasn’t born a hero. I had to become one.”What do you think?

So begins graphic novel trilogy E.X.O: The Legend of Wale Williams, which had its official release this week. In it, Wale Williams, a young Nigerian man, returns home to investigate the mysterious disappearance of his father, a brilliant inventor. Upon his arrival, he inherits a Nanosuit, giving him the superpowers needed to fight the corrupt leaders, robotic drones, and radical extremists that plague his futuristic home– the Lagos-inspired Lagoon City.What do you think?

Conceived of by Lagos-born digital animator and YouNeek Studios founder Roye Okupe, the comic world of Wale Williams is a welcome addition to the emerging canon of afrofuturistic stories featuring African characters. When we caught up with longtime superhero lover Okupe prior to the launch of his Kickstarter campaign, he recounted what drove him to invest his time and money in the story after being told repeatedly that his great idea wouldn’t have a fan base.What do you think?

“From the first day I laid my eyes on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoons in the ’80s, I’ve been hooked on superheroes. Since then I’ve watched, played and read every single superhero-related title I could lay my hands on: movies, comics, manga, anime, graphic novels, animated movies/series, video games etc. Then in 2008, after noticing there wasn’t a lot of diversity within the genre, I decided to tell a story about a hero from Nigeria.”What do you think?

The success of the novel’s Kickstarter speaks to the gravity of his vision. “We hit our target in about two days and for the rest of the Kickstarter campaign we got $10,000,” Okupe told CNN. “It was then that I knew this was the right path. Any failure I felt before — not getting the animation, getting rejected by so many distributors and producers, people telling me my idea is not going to work — it finally justified the fact I never quit on myself.” The product is finally here, beautifully made, and available for purchase. In the future, YouNeek Studios plans to create a more Africa-inclusive collection of superhero comics, including an animated EXO feature film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVyeSul4hDk

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by Nobody: 7:41am On Sep 03, 2015
N.B: Roye okupe is the son of the politician Doyin okupe

1 Like

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by Nobody: 7:43am On Sep 03, 2015
More pics

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by kiddkash(m): 7:56am On Sep 03, 2015
mr ibu go wear cape dey fly

3 Likes

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by Nobody: 8:00am On Sep 03, 2015
Waw! Cool

3 Likes

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 03, 2015
I wish we had a TV station dedicated to the airing of Nigerian made cartoons/animations just like Cartoon network

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by fearlesschicken: 11:54am On Sep 03, 2015
Finally!!!!! I can't wait! cheesy

Cc:seun,isilove abeg FP!
Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by fearlesschicken: 1:21pm On Sep 03, 2015
lalasticlala where u dey? see good thread here!

1 Like

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by freesinzu(m): 1:35pm On Sep 03, 2015
grin
Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by toyese01(m): 1:36pm On Sep 03, 2015
We are getting dia, that's cool

1 Like

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by Canme4u(m): 1:37pm On Sep 03, 2015
Lobish hope this Legend would also kick his father's ass and his brother in corruption FFK and their heroe stealing is not corruption.

4 Likes

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by DrMeroThaEmperor(m): 1:37pm On Sep 03, 2015
This is so cool.........

Let's make Nigerians harness their talents....... My friend @Rae'em AKA Sketchy has gatta see this.

1 Like

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by Tonnniey: 1:38pm On Sep 03, 2015
Ok
Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by Nihilist: 1:38pm On Sep 03, 2015
I hope he knows his father is one of the villains of lagoon city

5 Likes

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by michaelmo11(m): 1:41pm On Sep 03, 2015
Nice concept behind the comic.
Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by Nobody: 1:41pm On Sep 03, 2015
Hope the "super hero" has the powers to annihilate corrupt politicians like his father cool

1 Like

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:42pm On Sep 03, 2015
This wont sell. Waiting for the legend of Baba suwe

2 Likes

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by Nobody: 1:44pm On Sep 03, 2015
Good one boy. A white pap actually can come out from a black pot! #wontsaymuch

2 Likes

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by sammyj: 1:45pm On Sep 03, 2015
Where is the self acclaimed Bast*rd Okupe the king and originator of Wailers ? grin grin
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2739269_clvrh3ow8aawwho_jpegb9410a887cc29efdba8c24c0caffdad6
Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by jeremiah92(m): 1:46pm On Sep 03, 2015
Wow this is very Good......may God crown your effort with success amen.

2 Likes

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by Nobody: 1:51pm On Sep 03, 2015
I wish we'd leave his father out of this
I'm impressed. The guys is good I hope they get good publicity on this

3 Likes

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by efilefun(m): 1:53pm On Sep 03, 2015
cool
Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by Chestar5(f): 1:55pm On Sep 03, 2015
Wow, cant wait to get my hands on d comic book or watch it cheesy
Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by 5starmilitant: 1:57pm On Sep 03, 2015
sammyj:
Where is the self acclaimed Bast*rd Okupe the king and originator of Wailers ? grin grin
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2739269_clvrh3ow8aawwho_jpegb9410a887cc29efdba8c24c0caffdad6
o
Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by Nobody: 1:57pm On Sep 03, 2015
If you are indeed a superhero, then I suggest you go to Sambisa forest and find Shekau grin. N10million if you come back alive.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by Nobody: 2:00pm On Sep 03, 2015
Good attempt but kinda felt abit like iron man,would make some sense if the powers where some juju/jazz or something that really reflects Naija/Africa,something like hulk would have made mad sense,pip a monstrous dark skinned hulk,his mother died while giving birth to him and he's father died some weeks before.so all his life has been from ophanages to ophanages,for some odd reason he was never adopted,he just turned 16yrs old and knew he probably wouldnt get a home,so he ran off.started doing petty jobs on the streets,became a conductor,hawked gala,sold recharge cards.until one fateful day he was hungry and broke and saw a well prepared meal in a calabash by the road side,without thinking he dived in and ate the food clean,after which he passed out,he got transcended into the spiritual where he saw he's father who told him he was destined for greater things and it wasnt his time to die,that he has been waiting for the day he was going to have a near death moment so he can appear and reveal the power he posseses,with some incantations and some white powdery substance blown on his face,he awoke and found himself at the motorpark shank he sleeps in,he thought he had a crazy dream until gradually he started mutating,changing into a nigga hulk,with wings and heat vision and all that cool shiit..this just took me less than 3mins to make up,but its something everyone here can relate with,maybe i should get on kickstarter as well...like if you think i should,share to tell me to go fvck myself.

Modified: 100 likes and i will get to work,and give you guys progression updates

50 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by MadCow1: 2:01pm On Sep 03, 2015
Yoruba Superhero....

Nigga Puleeeeeze!
Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by Dinirojones(m): 2:24pm On Sep 03, 2015
Hope he knws his father is one of the villians in lagoon city grin....nice concept tho
Re: The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe by fourpoints(m): 2:26pm On Sep 03, 2015
yy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BBNaija: Femi Bakre Starts #JusticeForTobi Campaign For His Brother, Tobi Bakre / Bbnaija: Dencia 'Why Tacha Needs To Tell Her Fans To Vote For Mercy' / Goldie Evicted From BBA Stargame

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.