Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,107 members, 7,807,338 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:28 PM

Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? (3887 Views)

How The 12 Apostles Of Jesus Christ Died / PHOTO: The "Real" Face Of Jesus Uncovered / The Book Of Enoch / Jesus Quoted It And So Did Apostles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by tenry(m): 12:23pm On Apr 03, 2009
why did the apostles of Jesus christ cast lots to choose between joseph surnamed justus and matthias after they had prayed[ACTS 2}
Re: Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by hymnha(m): 1:37pm On Apr 04, 2009
Jesus just left them, they have a decision to make, the Holy Spirit has not yet come. The decision is vvery urgent, so they had to follow the old way of making choices (remember the soldiers casting lot on the garment of Jesus). This was no more necessary when you get to Acts13. Because now they had the Holy Spirit.
Should we then cast lot when we have choices to make?
That you may not even Know how to go about it.
I think No.
Reason. When a man is born again, he can talk to God as his Father. Asking Him for direction on what to do. Jesus did not cast lot before choosing His disciple, he only prayed. We can pray too, following the steps of Jesus
Remember Jesus did not tell them to make the choice of replacing Judas. They only thought it wise. 12 symbolising God's government. 12 tribes, 12 foundations with the name of the twelve disciples
I think you can understand now.

1 Like

Re: Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by noetic(m): 2:23pm On Apr 04, 2009
tenry:

why did the apostles of Jesus christ cast lots to choose between joseph surnamed justus and matthias after they had prayed[ACTS 2}
another deluded and uninformed ignoramus.
Re: Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by tenry(m): 6:21pm On Apr 05, 2009
@noetic you are a fool, big time fool to have made that statement concerning this topic.
Re: Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by ajadrage: 8:22pm On Apr 05, 2009
tenry:
The reason is quite obvious. Having placed the matter in the hands of the Holy Spirit, it was natural that an unbiased process in the eyes of all observers be made to clarify this decision. It shows two things, first that the biases of individual preference was totally excluded from the selection process and two, the implicit confidence in the Holy Spirit (held by the eleven apostles) that the one on whom the lot fell was the divine replacement of Judas Iscariot. Casting lots was a common way of avoiding controversy in those days (even now), and you will remember that lots were also cast for the garment of Jesus Christ after his crucifixion.

And, one thing though, I think this story was in the latter parts of Acts Chapter 1.
Re: Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by noetic(m): 11:19pm On Apr 05, 2009
tenry:

@noetic you are a fool, big time fool to have made that statement concerning this topic.
fine. If i m a big time fool, what are u?
Re: Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by hymnha(m): 3:13am On Apr 09, 2009
tenry do not answer noetic like that.

Let you texts be seasoned with grace (Remember)
Re: Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by PastorAIO: 4:31am On Apr 09, 2009
tenry:

noetic:

another deluded and uninformed ignoramus.
tenry:

noetic:

fine. If i m a big time fool, what are u?

shocked Goodness Gracious. Is it that easy? What exactly is the cause of this slanging match? It comes from the spirit of which god exactly?
Re: Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by Nobody: 1:51am On Apr 16, 2009
what is the difference between Gods spirit that came upon the virgin mary and the holy spirit that we christians believed that christ sent for us, is as if the spirit never existed before thats why he said he will send it, and he refers it as HIM , if is not Muhammed hes talking about then,its confusing cos Gods spirit has existed even before creation and even after creation, pls i need sound explanation and no favouritism between the two religion,thanks.
Re: Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by noetic(m): 6:26pm On Apr 16, 2009
uplawal:

what is the difference between Gods spirit that came upon the virgin mary and the holy spirit that we christians believed that christ sent for us, is as if the spirit never existed before thats why he said he will send it, and he refers it as HIM , if is not Muhammed hes talking about then,its confusing cos Gods spirit has existed even before creation and even after creation, pls i need sound explanation and no favouritism between the two religion,thanks.
why not start a new thread.
Re: Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by Lady2(f): 6:33pm On Apr 16, 2009
hmmm two different interpretations, this could be interesting.

@noetic dat was so uncalled for

@tenry
ignorance is the best way to silence anyone
Re: Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by tpia: 6:48am On Apr 18, 2009
the question is a valid one. I dont see why the thread has to be derailed.
Re: Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Apr 19, 2009
tpia:

the question is a valid one. I dont see why the thread has to be derailed.
was it my question u mearnt was valid one? if so thank U,they dont want to learn thats why they always evade good questions, dont worry will start it on a new thread
Re: Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by Recognise: 6:53pm On Apr 19, 2009
uplawal:

Was it my question u mearnt was valid one? if so thank U,

They dont want to learn, thats why they always evade good questions,

Dont worry will start it on a new thread

@Uplawal (f)

[img width=50 height=25]http:///cv5qb8[/img] a quick KISS before you go start a new thread (i.e. KISS – keeping it short & sweet)

Watch this space in 5 min for the answer to your question
Re: Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by Recognise: 7:29pm On Apr 19, 2009
Uplawal:

What is the difference between God’s Spirit that came upon the virgin Mary and the Holy Spirit that we Christians believed that Christ sent for us,

It is as if the spirit never existed before that’s why he said he will send it, and he refers it as HIM.

If is not Muhammed he’s talking about then, its confusing cos Gods spirit has existed even before  creation and even after creation,

Please I need sound explanation and no favouritism between the two religions, thanks.

@Uplawal (f)

Using a crude illustration, as there are oranges and different flavour of oranges so is God’s spirit

(i.e. God's Spirit and flavours of His Spirit)

Over the ages, people have been experiencing the diverse and different flavour of God’s spirit.

Prior to the advent of the Holy Spirit, you must have at some stage read in the Bible "And the spirit of God descended on so-and-so . . .  "

Now before ascending to heaven, Jesus promised the whole shebang; the Holy Spirit (i.e. the diverse and different flavour of God’s spirit to receive/have at one go) to the disciples

On the day of Pentecost, in the upper room, this promised was fulfilled (Note: before Muhammed) when the Holy Spirit descended on 120 of them . . . (KISS - Keeping it short & sweet) wink

PS: Holy = wholly; whole; wholesome; holistic; total; complete; one; pure; etc
Re: Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by Nobody: 3:03am On Apr 20, 2009
Recognise:

@Uplawal (f)

[img width=50 height=25]http:///cv5qb8[/img] a quick KISS before you go start a new thread (i.e. KISS – keeping it short & sweet)

Recognise:

@Uplawal (f)

dont still get u cos u telling me now that God is one with many flavours and jesus christ sent one of them to us, so couldnt he av used IT instead of HIM and the word ANOTHER is so significant cos its shows that one was before which was jesus christ in human form and another of it kind in human form too he will send, takenote on the ANOTHER and HIM, thanks
Re: Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by Recognise: 9:40am On Apr 20, 2009
Uplawal:

Dont still get u cos u telling me now that God is one with many flavours

and Jesus Christ sent one of them to us,

so couldn’t he have used IT instead of HIM

and the word ANOTHER is so significant

cos its shows that one was before which was Jesus Christ in human form

and another of it kind in human form too he will send,

Take note on the ANOTHER and HIM, thanks

@Uplawal

I will try again . . . . It's going to be short & simple

With all due respects this is what I wrote

Jesus promised the whole shebang; the Holy Spirit (i.e. the diverse and different flavour of God’s spirit to receive/have at one go) to the disciples

On the day of Pentecost, in the upper room, this promised was fulfilled (Note: before Muhammed) when the Holy Spirit descended on 120 of them
. . .”

How did you conjure upJesus Christ sent one of them to usbecause I certainly didn’t write or imply that?

OK. Another simple illustration:

Uplawal is female.

Uplawal likely is a daughter; sister, wife, mother, etc

(i.e. there is only one Uplawal but different flavours of Uplawal)

Lastly before closing, concerning your query on “ANOTHER” and “HIM”,

the former refers to another “helper” besides Jesus

and the latter is used as a grammatical masculine gender (i.e. a grammatical category in inflected languages governing the agreement between nouns and pronouns and adjectives)

The earth is referred as she - doesnt imply it is necessarily a woman

A curious question, have you read the bible through at all Uplawal? (i.e. back to back?)

Re: Apostles Of Jesus Christ Cast Lots;why? by HomoDroid(m): 4:42pm On Apr 23, 2017
Dear brethren, I state categorically, that if The Muslim Prophet claims to be the other comforter promised by Christ, then He is the Impostor or antichrist.

My logic is this - most Muslims belief that Jesus was saying the truth when He promised to send another comforter., but are also taught to wrongly believe Jesus was just another high prophet! Now there is no prophet in history, who has powers to send another prophet. What prophet means is messenger! if he was just a prophet, why would he have power to send another prophet? The definition of a Prophet is a messenger of God! Now if the Prophet Mohammad is the promised comforter, then how come it is difficult to believe Jesus, who sent him, is God?

Most Muslims believe Jesus is not the son of God - they think only in the physical, they think being a son means same as the physical birth process, which necessarily involves sex;

Most Muslims belief the reference to the Comforter as 'He' means he is a man! This is the grievous error! The reference to gender is actually means the mode of manifestation. God is masculine in nature, so is Jesus. The earth is feminine in nature so it is a she.
Let our Muslim brothers realize that what the Holy Spirit, the promised 'another Comforter' comforter does is to teach and reveal the otherwise unknown. He transcends the physical Plane to reveal things of the Spirit and thus renders a person super-natural! The Holy Spirit is not a physical teacher that prescribes how you should sleep, wake up, wash your hands or relate to your neighbour physically. All these rules and recommendations are already innate in mankind.

You do not need a Prophet to teach you how to marry or divorce or pray - Jesus already did that. But the Holy Spirit will reveal to you what to pray about among so many options. The Holy Spirit will help you to pray when you are physically to weak or overwhelmed by your situation. The Holy Spirit reveals the Secrets of the enemy to you and how best to counteract it.

What Jesus promised was another Comforter, who will empower a believer to DO GREATER THINGS than Jesus was able to accomplish while on earth.
'
The confusion with most Muslims is the same as that of those fervent Jews, who crucified Jesus erroneously for 'blasphemy'

The other day, I was discussing with a Muslim sister how Jesus was both Man and God while on earth. She could not understand this mystery. It was the same reason Satan was fooled into crucifying Him, thereby losing the grip of his power of sin and death!

If he had known the truth, he would not have allowed the crucifixion. Even Peter in his ambivalence almost fell into the same trap -he tried to fight his way out with a sword, but Jesus Christ saved him. Unfortunately Judas could not be saved. He expected Jesus to use His Godly powers to save Himself, thus making the fee he collected for betraying Jesus a dash! Alas he was caught up in the game as Jesus forewarned.

Instead of repenting and crying to Jesus for salvation, he tried to right the error by taking his own life, thereby making permanent his error!

My Muslim brothers, believe Jesus Christ the way the Bible originally records His journey on earth instead of questioning the authenticity of the book of John or who the comforter really is! The Comforter is not a Man (Prophet of Teacher)! He is the Holy Spirit, who came on the day of Pentecost and has never left mankind. He empower illiterates and semi-illiterates to become instant professors and linguists.

(1) (Reply)

Attributes Of The Jewish God Yahweh / Still About Death: Inviting Mr Anony And Any Other Interested Parties. / Virgin Mary Spirit Appear On A Wall In A Catholic Church In Edo (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.