Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,329 members, 7,780,853 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:42 AM

Scores Die As Fire Guts Balogun Market, Lagos - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Scores Die As Fire Guts Balogun Market, Lagos (523 Views)

Fire Guts Police Barracks In Lagos / Fire Out Break At Chicason Gas Plant In Nnewi, Scores feared dead / Camel Spotted At Oke-rain Market Lagos Island Yesterday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scores Die As Fire Guts Balogun Market, Lagos by drimpeccable(m): 1:23am On Sep 04, 2015
Scores of people were feared dead and others injured when a six storey plaza in the heart of the popular Balogun Market in Lagos was gutted by fire on Thursday.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the plaza is surrounded by several important business premises, which included the Union Bank, Diamond Bank and the United Bank for Africa.

NAN also observed that the plaza, which was being used as a wholesale and retail outlet for shoes and bags, is directly beside and attached to Union Bank building.

Investigations revealed that the fire started at about 9am and was battled by a team of combined firefighters from the Union Bank and UBA before the arrival of the Lagos State Fire Service.

Some eyewitnesses, who spoke to NAN, said some people, who jumped out from various floors of the burning plaza to escape the fire, were carried away dead.

Mallam Hamza Abdullahi, a trader in the market, told NAN that he saw three dead bodies and five people, who were wounded.

“People were shouting and jumping down from up stairs. I saw a woman dead with her skull open,” he said.

Mrs. Florence Adewunmi, a staff member of the Lagos State Ambulance Mobile Intensive Care Service, stationed at the scene told NAN that some victims had been stabilised and transferred to hospital.

Adewunmi added, “There are several casualties. We got a distress call at about 10am that there was a fire outbreak at Balogun, behind UBA.

“We proceeded here and learnt that they have rushed some people to General Hospital, Lagos, but we met some casualties on the ground.

“The patients jumped from the second, third and fourth floor and had fractures and varying degrees of injuries.

“There were those that inhaled too much smoke, so we gave some oxygen, some Dyclofenac injection; we treated ankle dislocations; we sutured deep cuts before carrying them to General Hospital, Lagos.

“So far, we have carried six people to hospital and discharged four after treatment.”

One of shopowners, who deals on female shoes, Mr Nonso Christian, told NAN that he came to the plaza at 10am and met it on fire.

“I met the plaza on fire and I tried to go in to bring out my goods but I couldn’t because the fire is too much.

“My shop is on the second floor and I just re-stocked on Monday. I don’t know what to do because the second floor is still on fire,” he said.

Several other shopowners, who were wailing while watching the fire, declined comment. One of them simply said “we are sad, this hard economy. Where do I start from?’’

A security man attached to Union Bank, Mr. Umoru Monday, told NAN that the fire started a few minutes before 9am.

Source: Punch Newspaper
Re: Scores Die As Fire Guts Balogun Market, Lagos by menix(m): 1:38am On Sep 04, 2015
So sad..

D frequency igbo traders loose wares to fire is alarming nd need to b probed under this regime..

One thing I know is that their God will certainly b their strength nd bless their hustle..

RIP to d dead..

As the year rolls to an end, we shall not be victims of fire disasters in all our endeavors.

1 Like

Re: Scores Die As Fire Guts Balogun Market, Lagos by henribj(m): 1:44am On Sep 04, 2015
na wa o
Re: Scores Die As Fire Guts Balogun Market, Lagos by Noloss(f): 3:07am On Sep 04, 2015
:mmmm
Re: Scores Die As Fire Guts Balogun Market, Lagos by AlPeter: 5:46am On Sep 04, 2015
menix:
So sad..

D frequency igbo traders loose wares to fire is alarming nd need to b probed under this regime..

One thing I know is that their God will certainly b their strength nd bless their hustle..

RIP to d dead..

As the year rolls to an end, we shall not be victims of fire disasters in all our endeavors.

attaching tribalism to this too? Come off it, it's really disgusting.

(1) (Reply)

Photo Of Woman Allegedly Killed By Policeman In Lagos / She Took Picture Of Boyfriend Pointing Gun At Her, Hours Before He Shot Her Dead / Guys I Need Help... A Lit Scrambles With Diamond Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.