Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

My Thoughts On Buhari's "Asset Declaration" BY Irene Nwaukwa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Thoughts On Buhari's "Asset Declaration" BY Irene Nwaukwa (735 Views)

Nigerians React After CCT Clears Saraki Of False Asset Declaration Charges / CCB: Alleged False Assets Declaration By Saraki Live On TVC. / An Indepth Look Into Buhari's Asset Declaration By Barcanista (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Thoughts On Buhari's "Asset Declaration" BY Irene Nwaukwa by erunz(m): 9:18am On Sep 04, 2015
NIGERIA!!!
So lets do a little Asset Declaration Best Practice 101, shall we?

In 2007, The Late Umaru Musa Yar'adua became the first president to PUBLICLY declare his assets. He, alongside his VP, GEJ declared their assets and it contained the following key elements missing from the sham spread by Garba Shehu in an attempt to hoodwink the gullible.
Also, former governor Kayode Fayemi followed same principles in 2010. Both practices were well accepted as our standard.
Now, I will let you compare and contrast with the garbage from Garba Shehu.

1. The main aims of asset declarations may including the following:

● to increase transparency and the trust of citizens in public administration, by disclosing information about assets of politicians and civil servants that shows they have nothing to hide;
● to help heads of public institutions prevent conflicts of interest among their employees and to resolve such situations when they arise, in order to promote integrity within their institutions;
● to monitor wealth variations of individual politicians and civil servants, in order to dissuade them from misconduct and protect them from false accusations, and to help clarify the full scope of illicit enrichment or other illegal activity by providing additional evidence.

2. A basic component of an asset declaration is the presence of VALUE! N30M cash is not his entire worth! Buhari has 5 houses is NOT asset declaration! How much are his 5 houses, economical trees, cows and the rest worth? How much are Osinbajo's shareholdings and cars and houses worth? Both Yar'adua and Fayemi declared thier TOTAL WORTH , and in details how much everything they owned was worth and how those funds were sourced.

3. An asset declaration also contains LIABILITIES!. How much is he owing? Yar'adua declared a total of about N88M as liabilites. What are Buhari's liabilities?

4. Both Yar'adua & Fayemi DECLARED THE ASSETS OF THIER SPOUSES!!! This is very important because we know that spouses are usually implicated in corruption cases and money laundering. Also, it will enable us to easily detect and prevent conflict of interest issues. Who knows how much Aisha and Mrs Osinbajo are worth? What companies they own and the like? If Buhari wants to show real transparency and not hoodwink us, he should do the right thing!.

5. Yar'adua and Fayemi showed proof! They released the PHOTOCOPIES OF THE FORM submitted to the CCB. That's transparency!

In conclusion, I think it is an insult to our sensibilties that Garba Shehu would release such a statement knowing fully well that Buhari and associaties have not fulfilled thier promise to Nigerians. This would be the second time he's attempting to deceive us like so. First was when he announced that Buhari had kept his promise to Nigerians when the man had only submitted a form . Coming at a time when there's been so much falsehood and denials coming from the presidency, this does leave a bad taste in my mouth. It also shows a disregard for the good people of Nigeria to whom these politicians OWE service!

Nigeria! THIS IS NOT AN ASSET DECLARATION. Garba Shehu has given us a foretaste of what to expect when assets are declared and we would treat it as such. When they release the actual assets we would know.
Mr President, your 100days is here already. Whether you deny it or not, I have made my assesement, and so have many other Nigerians. Trust is like a glass, treat it carefully.
https://www.facebook.com/irene.nwaukwa/posts/10153102346741430
BY @cremechic11

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts On Buhari's "Asset Declaration" BY Irene Nwaukwa by OVI75(m): 9:21am On Sep 04, 2015
MY THOUGHS ARE SAME WIT URS BROV
Re: My Thoughts On Buhari's "Asset Declaration" BY Irene Nwaukwa by docadams: 10:23am On Sep 04, 2015
erunz: ... Also, former governor Kayode Fayemi followed same
principles in 2010. Both practices were well accepted as
our standard...

Who are you referring to as 'our', Nigerians or your household? Governance is not by sentiments but by the constitution.

erunz:... A basic component of an asset declaration is the
presence of VALUE! N30M cash is not his entire worth!
Buhari has 5 houses is NOT asset declaration! How much
are his 5 houses, economical trees, cows and the rest
worth? How much are Osinbajo's shareholdings and cars
and houses worth?..

The main issue in asset declaration is to list the assets and where they can be found. You are right that values must be attached, and the appropriate agency carry out verification.
But have you seen the form submitted to CCB? I advise we wait for CCB.

erunz :... An asset declaration also contains LIABILITIES!. How
much is he owing? Yar'adua declared a total of about
N88M as liabilites. What are Buhari's liabilities?...

And if GMB doesn't have liabilities, what should he declare?
erunz:... Both Yar'adua & Fayemi DECLARED THE ASSETS OF
THIER SPOUSES!!! This is very important because we
know that spouses are usually implicated in corruption
cases and money laundering...

The constitution is what matters. Anything extra is his to do. If he chose not to, it's not unconstitutional. Meanwhile see what CCB has to say..
.. "You are to declare ONLY those Assets/Liabilities
you ACTUALLY own at the material time of filling
the form. DO NOT declare any Assets/Liabilities you
are anticipating to have before actual acquisition".
www​.codeofconductbureau.gov.ng/index...

erinz:... Yar'adua and Fayemi showed proof! They released the
PHOTOCOPIES OF THE FORM submitted to the CCB.
That's transparency!...

I advise you read Garbage She's press release again.
Shehu’s statement read in part, “The documents submitted
to the CCB, which officials say are still being vetted and will
soon be made public..."

(1) (Reply)

Akwa-ibom Guber : I Signed Result Sheets For 15 Wards - Witness / Woman Arrested For Drug Trafficking Accuses Husband Of Setting Her Up / Hollywood Actor Danny Glover Arrives In Nigeria For Ebola Movie, ‘93 Days’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.