Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,329 members, 7,780,853 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:38 AM

Court Clerk Jailed For Defying Court Orders On Gay Marriage - Photos - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Court Clerk Jailed For Defying Court Orders On Gay Marriage - Photos (481 Views)

Rev King To Die By Hanging: Supreme-Court Orders / photo: Kentucky Clerk Jailed For Defying Court Orders On Gay Marriage / Kentucky Clerk Jailed For Defying Court Orders On Gay Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Clerk Jailed For Defying Court Orders On Gay Marriage - Photos by howdynaija: 12:34pm On Sep 04, 2015
Gay marriage ruling

A US judge has ordered that a Kentucky official be jailed for contempt of court after she repeatedly refused to issue marriage licences to gay couples.

Kim Davis has said that her Christian faith should exempt her from signing the licences.

The US Supreme Court declared gay marriage legal in June.

After interviewing her fellow clerks, the judge said Ms Davis could go free if she allowed her deputies to grant the licences, but Davis refused.

Ms Davis, an elected official in Rowan County, has said the Supreme Court's ruling conflicts with her beliefs as a born-again Christian.

"You can't be separated from something that's in your heart in your soul," Ms Davis said. "I promised to love Him with all my heart, mind and soul because I wanted to make heaven my home."

US District Judge David Bunning said he had "no alternative" but to jail her, because issuing fines would not change her mind.

"Her good faith belief is simply not a viable defence," said Mr Bunning. "Mrs Davis took an oath. Oaths mean things."

Freedom of Religion protesters

He added that letting one person's beliefs supersede the authority of the court would be a dangerous example to set.

Ms Davis' lawyer, Mat Staver, said: "The judge said that he's going to bring her back out in another week and see if she's changed her mind. But knowing Kim Davis, she's a woman of strong conviction and conscience and I don't see her changing her mind."

Ms Davis' lawyer had claimed that her deputy clerks could only issues licenses under Davis' authority, but the judge overruled that objection.

Five deputy clerks told the judge on Thursday they would comply with the court order. A sixth deputy clerk, Ms Davis' son, Nathan, refused.

The judge decided not to hold Nathan Davis in contempt of court.

Hundreds of protesters lined up outside of the federal courthouse on Thursday, chanting and waving signs both of support and opposition.

Local reporters tweeted photos of the two different camps in close quarters outside of the courthouse.

Image caption Hundreds of protesters showed up for Ms Davis' day in court

Protesters screamed "Love won! Love won!" outside of the courthouse after learning of the decision.

Ms Davis stopped issuing marriage licenses to all couples in June after the legalisation of gay marriage, turning couples away repeatedly.

The US Supreme Court on Monday rejected the argument that her faith prevented her from carrying out her duty.

"I have no animosity toward anyone and harbour no ill will. To me this has never been a gay or lesbian issue. It is about marriage and God's word," she said in a statement.

She can only be removed from her position if the Kentucky legislature impeaches her, because she is an elected official.

Various 2016 Republican presidential candidates, like Mike Huckabee, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, Senator Ted Cruz and Senator Marco Rubio, have come out in support of Ms Davis' decisions.

Others like Carly Fiorina, Senator Lindsey Graham and Ohio Governor John Kasich have said she must do her job and comply with the law.

BBC / www.howdynaija..com

Re: Court Clerk Jailed For Defying Court Orders On Gay Marriage - Photos by MISSNORA(f): 12:40pm On Sep 04, 2015
Mumu US
Re: Court Clerk Jailed For Defying Court Orders On Gay Marriage - Photos by IamPatriotic(m): 12:41pm On Sep 04, 2015
Why not quit the job before it conflicts with her faith? I thought religion hypocrite abides only in Africa.
Re: Court Clerk Jailed For Defying Court Orders On Gay Marriage - Photos by wordcat(m): 6:09pm On Sep 04, 2015
She has forgotten that she's working in Government's vineyard not in God's vineyard.

(1) (Reply)

Watch SPIRITUAL Truth>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ohlwvlhde8 ……>this Is For / I Believe Christians Shouldn’t Owe Anything / Which Scripture Do You Think Is The Most Quoted In The Old Testament.?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.