Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,869 members, 7,806,477 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:05 PM

To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? (17188 Views)

Oluwo Akanbi Supports The Establishment Of Fulani Ranches In Yoruba Land / Which Language Is The Most Difficult? Igbo, Yoruba Or Hausa? / Origin Of Common Nigerian Pidgin Words (i.e., Igbo, Yoruba, Or Hausa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by macof(m): 5:30pm On Sep 10, 2015
Afam4eva:

I was referring to those who now speak Yoruba as a native language but not necessarily Yoruba.

Its only the fulani lineages that fall into this category

I still don't see why they confuse themselves. .. they have been heavily mixed and yorubanized already so what's the fuss

1 Like

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Kingscollege(m): 3:00pm On Jun 20, 2016
psucc:
@Funmijoyb

Kwara has slipped past yoruba. Truth be told. Inasmuch as I am concern, yoruba is a relegated to a second citizen in Kwara.

Check back the list of 'Obas' you post. Jubril, Abdulraman, Aldulsalami, Abubakar and you still sit down on arms chair to claim yoruba in Fulani/Hausa infested land. A butter fly thinks himself a bird - Ola Rotimi

U are a dumbskull ...u don't know anything. u nid to traveled out of ur nut shell called lagos.. and see for urself .. kwarans are massively a Yorubas kingdom both d language culture and believe are yoruba .. kwarans are better Yorubas Dan lagos . they are 95:% yorubas while lagos is about 75% yorubas.talking about the eguns awori s etc.

2 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by oyatz(m): 5:25pm On Jan 17, 2017
Those names are Muslim names not fulani names.
There are Muslims who bear Abubakar, Mohammed, Abdulkadir, Abdulsalam and so on in Algeria, Senegal, Kuwait, Okene, Idaho, Auchi, Ebonyi ,Ibadan etc
psucc:
@Funmijoyb

Kwara has slipped past yoruba. Truth be told. Inasmuch as I am concern, yoruba is a relegated to a second citizen in Kwara.

Check back the list of 'Obas' you post. Jubril, Abdulraman, Aldulsalami, Abubakar and you still sit down on arms chair to claim yoruba in Fulani/Hausa infested land. A butter fly thinks himself a bird - Ola Rotimi

2 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by MisterThee: 9:12pm On Jan 17, 2017
Well as a Hausa person myself its not in anyway a Hausa State. Although the name of the state is clearly of Hausa origin to me. grin
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by scholes0(m): 11:23pm On Jan 17, 2017
MisterThee:
Well as a Hausa person myself its not in anyway a Hausa State. Although the name of the state is clearly of Hausa origin to me. grin

Wrong name.
It used to be known as West-Central state before.

1 Like

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Probz(m): 12:54am On Jan 18, 2017
Yoruba. Fula isn't Hausa and they constitute but a minority in that state. There's probably more Ebira and Nupe in Kwara sef.
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jan 21, 2017
My state.
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Ajikobi1: 2:29pm On Jan 22, 2017
Kwara consists of many tribes... Yorubas are minority while the Barubas are the majority in land mass.... I will say Hausa sha
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Ajikobi1: 2:30pm On Jan 22, 2017
Last time I checked, Kwara is not a Yoruba name but an Hausa name
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by tarano: 6:28pm On Aug 02, 2017
No one in Ilorin call the traditional ruler emir... Go to Oja Oba He is called Oba.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEVZZTwJ24

2 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Nobody: 7:04am On Aug 03, 2017
MisterThee:

My thoughts as well.
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by RedboneSmith(m): 7:14am On Aug 03, 2017
Ajikobi1:
Kwara consists of many tribes... Yorubas are minority while the Barubas are the majority in land mass.... I will say Hausa sha

With a name like Ajikobi, it surprises me how you could say Yorubas are the minority and Baribas the majority in Kwara State.

2 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by ewa26: 12:08pm On Aug 03, 2017
funmijoyb:

kwara is 75% yoruba, d others r fulanis. who told you there is hausa land in kwara?
asin eh!
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by macof(m): 6:39pm On Aug 03, 2017
RedboneSmith:

With a name like Ajikobi, it surprises me how you could say Yorubas are the minority and Baribas the majority in Kwara State.

Abeg leave that confused individual

"Bariba are majority in kwara but I will say Hausa Sha"

grin

1 Like

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by lawani: 5:01pm On Sep 24, 2017
macof:

Abeg leave that confused individual

"Bariba are majority in kwara but I will say Hausa Sha"

grin
After Nigeria Bariba will have their land under one umbrella of Borgu, Jebba will have their 33 towns in kwara and niger too
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by MetaPhysical: 5:26pm On Sep 24, 2017
psucc:
You misfire.
The percentage swings the other way. How many Obas are there in Kwara State if not Emir of Ilorin, etc.

Oba is a sovereign title. Emir is a religious title, the cleric head of jamaa.

1 Like

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by MetaPhysical: 6:10pm On Sep 24, 2017
macof:
even Jebba which was founded by Nupe has an Oba. ..

Jebba was not founded by Nupe.

Founded in 1703 by two brothers, Adebola Adebara and Odaso Adebara from Ajasse-Ipo in Irepodun local government area of the state, who were in search of greener pastures, Jebba town, a gateway to the Northern and Southern parts of the country, is bounded in the North by River Niger, in the West by Gata, in the East by River Osin/ Bacita and in the South by Alagbon. It is a distance of 107 kilometers from Ilorin, the state capital

Oral history has it that there was an iron deity called “Bababa” at Oke-Kesa, referred to as Juju Hill in Jebba, being worshipped by the people. To them, Juju hill is a hill with great spiritual powers of healing all sorts of ailments and provision of children for barren women. The hill, it is claimed, is daily thronged by people from near and far seeking solution’s to one problem or another. Canoe or speed boat is used to cross the river to where the hill is located. After worshipping, the people would say “Oje Bababa” to the deity, meaning good or nice father. Thus, it was from the appellation, “Oje Bababa”, that the name of Jebba was formed. Besides, Juju Hill is highly revered for its protective power of making Jebba town and its people invincible to all external aggressors.

3 Likes

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Opiletool(m): 4:16am On Sep 26, 2017
Junior66:
you are wrong. Kwara state has an Emir only because it was the only yoruba state to be conquered and ruled by the fulani empire. The fulanis installed an Emir anwhere they conquered, simple!

Do you know the difference between kwara and ilorin? Nawa o

1 Like

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Trottle: 6:42am On Sep 26, 2017
Kwara can't be more than 70% Yoruba. Other ethnicities like Nupe, Baruba, Hausa, Fulani etc also exists as very important minorities especially Nupe and Baruba.
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Junior66(m): 7:02am On Sep 26, 2017
Opiletool:

Do you know the difference between kwara and ilorin? Nawa o
Yes I do! Although I don't believe you understand it much. If an emir exists in Kwara state how do you want me to express it? Is Ilorin not part of Kwara state anymore? I know where you are going though, it is only Ilorin town that is ruler by an Emir. It still doesn't negate my point. Thank you.
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by macof(m): 7:28am On Sep 27, 2017
Ajikobi1:
Landmass? Wtf is landmass when we are talking about population

You talking of deserts we talking living people

1 Like

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by macof(m): 7:30am On Sep 27, 2017
Junior66:

Yes I do! Although I don't believe you understand it much. If an emir exists in Kwara state how do you want me to express it? Is Ilorin not part of Kwara state anymore? I know where you are going though, it is only Ilorin town that is ruler by an Emir. It still doesn't negate my point. Thank you.

It negates your point. Ilorin is Ilorin, Kwara state is Kwara state

1 Like

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Junior66(m): 11:48am On Sep 27, 2017
macof:

It negates your point. Ilorin is Ilorin, Kwara state is Kwara state
Yeah you are right. Kwara State is in Nigeria. Ilorin is in Ghana. You win!
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by olayinkaboss11(m): 12:54pm On Sep 27, 2017
Kwara state has 16 local governments, 12 out of those local governments are Yoruba l.g the other four are baruten, kaiama, edu and pategi and we have four primary languages in Kwara state which are Yoruba (16 l.g), Nupe (2 lg) Bariba (2 lg) with minority Fulani in Ilorin west. Kwara west and central is 98% Yoruba with the remaining 2% for the Fulani minority and kwara north is dominated by the bariba and nupe. Kwara state is formerly known as west central state which was later replaced with Kwara ( Kwara is a local name for River Niger by the Nupe).

Mind you, Ilorin was never conquered at any point of time because Afonja the progenitor of llorin was the Are ona kankafo ( war commander)of the defunct Oyo empire and the head of Ilorin province in the Oyo empire, he had a misunderstanding with the Alafin of Oyo and he formed an alliance with a Fulani warrior and Islamic cleric Alimi to help him fight the Oyo empire. After the war, Afonja made Alimi the Islamic teacher in Ilorin and after the death of Afonja and Alimi, Alimi ground son Abdulsalam became the first Emir of Ilorin. Kwara is not Ilorin, Ilorin is just a city and capital of Kwara state and there other major Yoruba's towns and cities in Kwara e.g Offa, Erin ile, omuaran e.t.c. there is no indigene of Kwara that is Hausa and there is no Hausa languages in Kwara state.

The Fulani in Ilorin are not up to 10%, the Fulani in Ilorin speak Yoruba and cannot even speak Fulani, even the Emir himself does not understand Fulani because the linguafracal of the Ilorin's palace is Yoruba and the Emir has a Yoruba's name, the current emir's name is Ibrahim KOLAPO Sulu Gambari. Just like almost all Yoruba's land has Oja oba (King's market) beside the palace, Ilorin also has Oja oba not Emir's market. Ilorin is ruled by a Fulani man but is a Yoruba's land just like Kenya man Obama ruled U.s.a before.

Emir and Emirates system of government belonged to the Arabs and not the Fulani it was only adopted by the Fulanis after they accepted Islamic religion. Ilorin is different case entirely to some Hausa's towns and cities that was conquered by Usman Dan fodio because llorin was never conquered by the Fulani

fyi, Am a Yoruba man from Ilorin, my dad is from isale bani, Alore, Ilorin and my mum is from the royal family in llorin and her name is Toyin and she see herself as Yoruba cos she can't speak Fulani she also has Pele tribal mark just like other Ilorin people has Abaja, pele, gombo tribal mark. even the minorities 10% have inter marriage the Yoruba Ilorin. I speak Yoruba dialect of Ilorin just like the Offa speak ibolo dialect, just like the Erin ile speak Igbomina dialect and the Ekiti Kwara speak ekiti dialect. The Ilorin Yoruba is almost the same with Oyo dialect Yoruba though, there is few exception like 'faaa' which is Fulani influence.

13 Likes 6 Shares

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Demmzy15(m): 12:44am On Sep 30, 2017
I've noticed that Hausa/Fulani always tend to be happy whenever they meet Kwarans, maybe it's due to the fact that they know they have a foothold there.

1 Like

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by FriendNG: 4:22am On Sep 30, 2017
Demmzy15:
I've noticed that Hausa/Fulani always tend to be happy whenever they meet Kwarans, maybe it's due to the fact that they know they have a foothold there.

I am happy when I meet most Kwarans not because of what you said but I have realized two things about them.

My judgement from the few I meet, they are kind and religious.

But my conclusion was base and solely on those I come across which are not morethan 5.
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Olu317(m): 6:48am On Sep 30, 2017
Ajikobi1:
I thought you are Yoruba. And you claim to be an indigene of ILORIN? Quite surprised l, reading this pseudo information from you.

1 Like

Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Oct 01, 2017
Ajikobi1:
you are smoking weed Niggae,see a great lie,yoruba are minority in Kwara.
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Oct 01, 2017
Olu317:
I thought you are Yoruba. And you claim to be an indigene of ILORIN? Quite surprised l, reading this pseudo information from you.
he is yoruba,don't you see his name? His ancestors are among those that the ibadan beheaded when ilorin invade them,i think that is why he is fraustrated with yoruba.
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Ezigbonmadu: 2:55pm On Oct 01, 2017
abdelrahman:
he is yoruba,don't you see his name? His ancestors are among those that the ibadan beheaded when ilorin invade them,i think that is why he is fraustrated with yoruba.

In other word, Ajikobi1 is from Ile Ajikobi in Ilorin. He is a son and descendant of a traitors! Lucky is great grand dad narrowly escaped beheading.
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 01, 2017
Ezigbonmadu:

In other word, Ajikobi1 is from Ile Ajikobi in Ilorin. He is a son and descendant of a traitors! Lucky is great grand dad narrowly escaped beheading.
your name seem funny to me grin are you igbo or yoruba?
Re: To You,is Kwara State A Yoruba Land Or Hausa? by Ezigbonmadu: 3:55pm On Oct 01, 2017
abdelrahman:
your name seem funny to me grin are you igbo or yoruba?

Ènìyàn ni mí.

I speak igbo language though because I'm partly igbo. However, I don't want anything to do with those very bitter people, hate-filled and super tribalists. They can barely make a complete sentence without referring to my part Yoruba blood, I mean one of your parent's family perpetually referring to you as Omo Yoluba, Ndi Ofe manu etc. Meanwhile, I don't have such issues among the Yorubas Ezigbo madu means good person.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yoruba Names By Region / Adetunji Becomes 41st Olubadan Of Ibadanland-the Punch / Sultan Of Sokoto Holds Meeting With Christian Leaders In Enugu For Peace & Unity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.