Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,451 members, 7,801,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? (11235 Views)

Prophet Ufuoma Bernard: "No More Tithing In My Church, Daddy Freeze Is Right" / 10 Bible Verses On Tithing / Where Does All The CATHOLIC Money Go? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by msbbash(m): 12:55pm On Sep 07, 2015
so , any christain wey fit provide any biblical verses to support tithe , any waiting
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by brocab: 1:31pm On Sep 07, 2015
Great speech, yes and as the Lord received, all He wanted was to bless those in need.

Was it not Judas holding the money bag, {that same Judas who betrayed the Lord} was it not Judas collecting from the people, because Judas was criminally minded as he was' being just a man as he is' he didn't understand the kingdom of heaven let alone Jesus.
All he could see was a worldly picture-his brain could only function a certain way-away without God.
Judas had seen a opportunity, without employment-he had started to make a cash flow, while the lord doing all the work-Judas was living of the blessings others financed, while the rest of the disciples relied on seeking after the lord Himself.
Judas said 'Lord the people have given us 30 pieces of silver, Jesus rebuking Him and said: give it to the poor.
Judas then walked away sorrowful.
Do you honestly believe Jesus would ask for tithes or offerings? Did Jesus not asked the Father to bless the small loafs with the 2 fish and fed 4 to 5000, on two separate occasions. Was it not the disciples, who dis-believed Jesus- before Jesus lifted up the left over fragments towards God and the baskets were full. And then they believed.
[color=#000099]Can you see the difference, between God and man-its man that takes, and a God that gives.

So with any theory that you may have, Jesus never asked anybody for monies, why should He-He gave everything. [/color]

Like Judas-man repeats themselves over and over without any dealt, we are all sinners.
dmandy:

I think your problem is calling it 'Tithe'. I know Christ collected some kind of support and offerings from his followers.
Many women were there, watching from a distance. They had followed Jesus from Galilee to care for his needs... Matt 27:55
If you ask me I will say its okay to give to the Pastors whether you call it tithe o, offering o, gift o. Just give.. charity is the best yet it begins from home.

Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Sep 07, 2015
brocab:
Great speech, yes and as the Lord received, all He wanted was to bless those in need.

Was it not Judas holding the money bag, {that same Judas who betrayed the Lord} was it not Judas collecting from the people, because Judas being criminal minded as he was' seen a worldly picture-without employment-he could make a cash flow, while the lord was blessing others renewing peoples life's-while Judas in the other hand like any man, had taken from the poor, as the lord knew' Judas taxed the offerings for his own selfish desirers. Judas said 'Lord the people have given us 30 pieces of silver, Jesus rebuking Him and said: give it to the poor. Judas then walked away sorrowful.
Do you honestly believe Jesus would ask for tithes or offerings? Did Jesus not asked the Father to bless the small loafs with the 2 fish and fed 4 to 5000, on two separate occasions. Was it not the disciples, who dis-believed Jesus- before Jesus lifted up the left over fragments towards God and the baskets were full.
[color=#000099]Can you see the difference, between God and man-its man that takes, and a God that gives.

So with any theory that you may have, Jesus never asked anybody for monies, why should He-He gave everything. [/color]

Like Judas-man repeats themselves over and over without any dealt, we are all sinners.

Waoh... I have not looked at it from your perspective before. You must be a man of wisdom.

Jesus God gives, and man receives....but all these are done through a medium (another man). You see the little boy from your story gave o Jesus who later gave to people. You see Jesus actually asked "They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat."

I think that when you give to anybody in need (including your pastors) you are serving God. St. James thinks the same thing 'Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world'.
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Sep 07, 2015
brocab:

So you believers who tithe, are tithing against the word of God, not only are you all ripping yourselves off, but you are ripping off God too.

Your write up didn't prove that.

God is not against Tithing (I prefer giving) in any form, yet I don't believe he sins who don't. My take is that it shouldn't be a compulsion, but the freewill of the giver.

Christ taught us what is more important...charity. "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by brocab: 2:41pm On Sep 07, 2015
The difference is your pastors are not in need, tithing was about a law giving to certain farmers and herdsmen to tithe 23% on their yearly growth they grew from their crops or their stocks. The Lord trusted these certain men, promising them if they follow God's commandments, He will pour out His blessings across their lands.
Any pastor who preaches otherwise against the word of God-shouldn't be standing in any pulpit.
God's plans had nothing to do with someone collecting finances from the poor and the needy. Jesus didn't give people money-and He didn't give to take it back from you either-Once Jesus gave' its yours to keep.

You can give what you like? But if your not willing to study the scriptures yourself, its no-good trying to argue the point, because you yourself who pay tithes to your pastors, are helping to support the twisted lying wonders these so called men of God are spreading through the Churches. Will a man rob God.
And if you don't know the differences between what is a tithe, and what is giving-than without asking, I will let you on a little secret, tithing was a law, and giving is a free will offering.
No-man needs to remind me every week, will a man rob God-and how are we robbing you, through tithes and offerings.
Is your pastor poor, was your pastor a Levite, maybe his an orphan, he could be a widow.
Then Give...
dmandy:

Waoh... I have not looked at it from your perspective before. You must be a man of wisdom.

Jesus God gives, and man receives....but all these are done through a medium (another man). You see the little boy from your story gave o Jesus who later gave to people. You see Jesus actually asked "They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat."

I think that when you give to anybody in need (including your pastors) you are serving God. St. James thinks the same thing 'Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world'.
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Sep 07, 2015
brocab:
The difference is your pastors are not in need, tithing was about a law giving to certain farmers and herdsmen to tithe 23% on their yearly growth they grew from their crops or their stocks. The Lord trusted these certain men, promising them if they follow God's commandments, He will pour out His blessings across their lands.
Any pastor who preaches otherwise against the word of God-shouldn't be standing in any pulpit.
God's plans had nothing to do with someone collecting finances from the poor and the needy. Jesus didn't give people money-and He didn't give to take it back from you either-Once Jesus gave' its yours to keep.

You can give what you like? But if your not willing to study the scriptures yourself, its no-good trying to argue the point, because you yourself who pay tithes to your pastors, are helping to support the twisted lying wonders these so called men of God are spreading through the Churches. Will a man rob God.
And if you don't know the differences between what is a tithe, and what is giving-than without asking, I will let you on a little secret, tithing was a law, and giving is a free will offering.
No-man needs to remind me every week, will a man rob God-and how are we robbing you, through tithes and offerings.
Is your pastor poor, was your pastor a Levite, maybe his an orphan, he could be a widow.
Then Give...

Is my pastor poor? I don't think so. Is he in need sometimes, yes. Now tithe is a law, but the soul of that law is 'charity'. Just every law has an essence. I hate it when pastors compel people to give or tithe, I go with you on that but Jesus himself said its not a bad idea to tithe.
dmandy:

God is not against Tithing (I prefer giving) in any form, yet I don't believe he sins who don't. My take is that it shouldn't be a compulsion, but the freewill of the giver.

Christ taught us what is more important...charity. "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

And for the records I don't pay 10% of my earning, but I give to the pastor (and to others) whatever I feel I can give anytime any day. Everything giving to you is not yours to keep... but your to share.
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by brocab: 2:58pm On Sep 07, 2015
It seems we are reading 2 different bibles, you are not understanding any of the written words I am sharing with you.
If God wasn't against tithing then why did God changed that old priesthood, and the law. And why is it we don't have levites any-longer since Jesus had change that law.
And can you tell me why Jesus predicted the tithing temple will fall to the ground, in Luke 21 Mark 13 and Matthew 24' is it because Jesus was telling us, who ever believes, the Holy Spirit now lives in all and all.Hebrews 7:
And Matthew 23:23 " they tithed in food products, do you tithe your food products to the Church? Or would you prefer to give your tithes in cash.
dmandy:

Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by brocab: 3:02pm On Sep 07, 2015
Show me in scripture where Jesus said its not a bad idea to tithe? And show me in scripture where it says when Jesus gives He takes it back?
dmandy:

Is my pastor poor? I don't think so. Is he in need sometimes, yes. Now tithe is a law, but the soul of that law is 'charity'. Just every law has an essence. I hate it when pastors compel people to give or tithe, I go with you on that but Jesus himself said its not a bad idea to tithe.

And for the records I don't pay 10% of my earning, but I give to the pastor (and to others) whatever I feel I can give anytime any day. Everything giving to you is not yours to keep... but your to share.
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Sep 07, 2015
brocab:
It seems we are reading 2 different bibles, you are not understanding any of the written words I am sharing with you.
If God wasn't against tithing then why did God changed that old priesthood, and the law. And why is it we don't have levites any-longer since Jesus had change that law.
And can you tell me why Jesus predicted the tithing temple will fall to the ground, in Luke 21 Mark 13 and Matthew 24' is it because Jesus was telling us, who ever believes, the Holy Spirit now lives in all and all.Hebrews 7:
And Matthew 23:23 " they tithed in food products, do you tithe your food products to the Church? Or would you prefer to give your tithes in cash.

Of course we are reading two different bibles na, my bible dey here with me and I don't know where you dey... it's impossible. lolx.

Did you read where Jesus said 'without neglecting the former?'

Whether na food products or money, what difference does it make? What was the goal? Was it not to meet the priests goal?

About Levites, I don't think we still need them... we have our pastors and priests and fellow Christians and they perform for us the same tasks as levites.
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Sep 07, 2015
brocab:
Show me in scripture where Jesus said its not a bad idea to tithe? And show me in scripture where it says when Jesus gives He takes it back?

Easy oga, we no de quarrel.

First, Jesus said its not a bad idea...here '"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former'

Secondly, God can take his gifts if he wants (Job 1:21), but you know that was not what I said. I said what God gives you, he expects you to share (To whom much is given, much is expected). And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased (Heb 13:16).
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by brocab: 3:21pm On Sep 07, 2015
There's a lot of difference, between giving and tithing.
To be under presser, by entering any Church by any pastor who preachers on old testament tithing is working against God. We all know tithing no-longer exist with the Jews, {Not even in today's Israel the Jews tithe} So why should we' if we are gentiles?
If you say you give then give, no-ones stopping you.
dmandy:

Of course we are reading two different bibles na, my bible dey here with me and I don't know where you dey... it's impossible. lolx.

Did you read where Jesus said 'without neglecting the former?'

Whether na food products or money, what difference does it make? What was the goal? Was it not to meet the priests goal?

About Levites, I don't think we still need them... we have our pastors and priests and fellow Christians and they perform for us the same tasks as levites.

Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Sep 07, 2015
brocab:
There's a lot of difference, between giving and tithing.
To be under presser, by entering any Church by any pastor who preachers on old testament tithing is working against God. We all know tithing no-longer exist with the Jews, {Not even in today's Israel the Jews tithe} So why should we' if we are gentiles?
If you say you give then give, no-ones stopping you.

Yes of course, they are different in spelling and pronunciation but shouldn't be in principle. Thanks anyways.
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Sep 07, 2015
dmandy:

First, Jesus said its not a bad idea...here '"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former'

Secondly, God can take his gifts if he wants (Job 1:21), but you know that was not what I said. I said what God gives you, he expects you to share (To whom much is given, much is expected). And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased (Heb 13:16).

But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--

Read carefully: OF THE LAW!
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by brocab: 3:39pm On Sep 07, 2015
Matthew 23:23 " this scripture isn't about the tithe, its about the priest were neglecting the importance matters of the law, love thu neighbour. Jesus didn't say its not a bad idea" he only mention it, because Jesus knew in their hearts that was the only law they obeyed.
The Pharisees weren't givers, but takers, like Judas not giving to the poor they sold their spices to women loaded down with sins.
And pray to the lord, thank you lord I am not like of these tax collectors, and the tax collector bowed his head down beating his chest saying lord lord forgive me, and in this story which one was remembered more then the other.
dmandy:

Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Sep 07, 2015
Bobbysworld28:

But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--

Read carefully: OF THE LAW!

I saw that one clearly... they neglected the important ones, but there were unimportant ones. Jesus said do the important ones, but don't stop doing the unimportant. His problem with them was that they forgot the important ones and clinged to the unimportant.
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 07, 2015
dmandy:

I saw that one clearly... they neglected the important ones, but there were unimportant ones. Jesus said do the important ones, but don't stop doing the unimportant. His problem with them was that they forgot the important ones and clinged to the unimportant.
Still u dont see d full picture:
1. He was addressing the Pharisees
2. On the issue of tithing UNDER THE LAW
3. Even tithing was a minor requirement under d law.

Now I ask u: r u under d law?

1 Like

Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 3:49pm On Sep 07, 2015
dmandy:

So u agree dt tithing is unimportant? Beautiful
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by brocab: 4:00pm On Sep 07, 2015
It seems no-one else thinks like you-we are on two different wave lengths. You seem to think there are no differences between the two.
Everywhere around the nations we all have laws to obey, if we decide to break that law, we may end up fronting a judge, given us a fine.
The law in those day's had a percentage either 10% or 23% and more yearly-That's a law?

But in the other hand, if we were given a choice to give freely, we wouldn't have any reason to front up to a judge-and pay the fine.
That's the free willed giving.
And its not the differences in the spelling-the only difference is you aren't reading your bible, giving 'to you, means all in all.
dmandy:

Yes of course, they are different in spelling and pronunciation but shouldn't be in principle. Thanks anyways.

1 Like

Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Sep 07, 2015
Bobbysworld28:

So u agree dt tithing is unimportant? Beautiful

Sure, its unimportant. I am only saying that God is not against it.
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Sep 07, 2015
Bobbysworld28:

Still u dont see d full picture:
1. He was addressing the Pharisees
2. On the issue of tithing UNDER THE LAW
3. Even tithing was a minor requirement under d law.

Now I ask u: r u under d law?

Yes, I am not above the law.
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Sep 07, 2015
dmandy:

Yes

Ok.
No Christian can be under the law.
If u r not a Jew, u cannot be under d law.
If u profess Christ and still believe in d law, U ARE CONFUSED!

1 Like

Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Sep 07, 2015
dmandy:

Yes, I am not above the law.
Stop being cheeky!
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Sep 07, 2015
Bobbysworld28:

Ok.
No Christian can be under the law.
If u r not a Jew, u cannot be under d law.
If u profess Christ and still believe in d law, U ARE CONFUSED!

Are you above the law?

Being a Christian means to you that the law God gave now means nothing. Are you for real? There is a law guiding the use of Nairaland and you are under it whether you like it or not. The moment you break it, the mods will ban you without mercy.

What makes you a Christian if you are not bound by the laws given by God.
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Sep 07, 2015
Bobbysworld28:

Stop being cheeky!

lolx, for real... cheeky.

But that's true, so long as you are bound to obey any law, you are under the law.
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 07, 2015
dmandy:

Are you above the law?

Being a Christian means to you that the law God gave now means nothing. Are you for real? There is a law guiding the use of Nairaland and you are under it whether you like it or not. The moment you break it, the mods will ban you without mercy.

What makes you a Christian if you are not bound by the laws given by God.

The reason I asked u to stop being cheeky.
There r two broad dispensations- the Law (with the Aaronic priesthood) & Grace (with Christ as High Priest).

I ask again: are u under d law (of Moses)?
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 07, 2015
Bobbysworld28:

The reason I asked u to stop being cheeky.
There r two broad dispensations- the Law (with the Aaronic priesthood) & Grace (with Christ as High Priest).

I ask again: are u under d law (of Moses)?

Sir Moses didn't have law. God gave the law through him. Yes I am under the law of God.
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Annunaki(m): 5:28pm On Sep 07, 2015
dmandy:

Sir Moses didn't have law. God gave the law through him. Yes I am under the law of God.

Galatians 5:4
You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

Galatians 3:10
For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."

1 Like

Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 07, 2015
Annunaki:

Galatians 5:4
You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace.

Galatians 3:10
For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."

Good,
How did the grace come? I have not come to abolish the law.

You are justified by grace, not by law.... doed it mean the law should be thrown to the dust bin. Do you still see the commandments of God as valid?
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 07, 2015
dmandy:

Good,

You are justified by grace, not by law.... doed it mean the law should be thrown to the dust bin. Do you still see the commandments of God as valid?
Always trying to be cheeky and slippery. It will get u nowhere.
An indepth study of d book of Hebrews should help ur willing ignorance.
U hv been fully answered, so look carefully
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Sep 07, 2015
Bobbysworld28:

Always trying to be cheeky and slippery. It will get u nowhere.
An indepth study of d book of Hebrews should help ur willing ignorance.
U hv been fully answered, so look carefully

Jesus himself said .....keep the commandments. I love ur use of cheeky though... but that slippery, I don't like. no I be okro.

you said urself that anyone who doesn't keep the law is cursed.

Ever tried ab in-depth study of the book of James?
Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Sep 07, 2015
dmandy:

Jesus himself said .....keep the commandments. I love ur use of cheeky though... but that slippery, I don't like. no I be okro.

you said urself that anyone who doesn't keep the law is cursed.

Ever tried ab in-depth study of the book of James?
Stop taking things half way else u lose the message. U should always ask urself these 3 questions whenever u encounter any passage of scripture:
To whom was it said?
Why was it said?
On what occassion was it said?

Dis will help u present well balanced analysis of scripture. So when Jesus said: keep the commandments, kindly fit it into d structure above. U will be enlightened

1 Like

Re: Tithing: Where Does The Money Go? by Annunaki(m): 6:43pm On Sep 07, 2015
dmandy:

Good,

Romans 10:4

4 For Christ has brought the Law to an end, so that everyone who believes is put right with God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Time To Laugh - Post Your Funny Religion Memes, Quotes E.t.c / How Was Church Service Today. Share Your Experience..... / TRINITARIANS, How Do You Honestly Interpret This Verse In The Bible?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.