Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,457 members, 7,770,136 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:20 AM

Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More (49498 Views)

Photo: Wow! This Is An Amazing Exhibition Of Creativity In Baking / Pictures of Cakes Cakes Cakes And More Cakes / Who Knows A Faster Procedure Of Ripening Plantains ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by famous4u(m): 7:11am On Apr 05, 2009
good day guys,

can someone teach me on the procedures baking of Cakes and Snacks:Meatpies,Donutsand so much more, I am deeply interested

thanks
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 05, 2009
Depends on the kind of cake you want to cook.

Best website to get any recipe, nationally and internationally would be:

www.foodnetwork.com wink
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by sistawoman: 3:15pm On Apr 13, 2009
Tell me what you want to learn.
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by teissys(f): 11:20am On Apr 28, 2009
To make mahamri you need;
2 cups, wheat flour
Sugar(Depending on your taste)
1 tea spoon, Yeast
1 1/2 cup coconut milk (Or water)
5 cloves of cadamon
Cooking fat

Recipe:
Grind the cadamon. (Mix it with the sugar and grind together so that it can be powdery). Add the yeast and the coconut milk then stir until the yeast dissolves.
Add the floor then knead until soft. Divide the dough. Place a piece of dough on a board and roll into a chapati shape.
Cut the chapati in shapes of your desire and place the mahamris on a tray or place that they will not be disturbed.
Let the mahamri stay for an hour.
Heat cooking oil in a pan(For deep frying)
When the oil is hot put the mahamris and fry until golden brown.
The mahamris are now ready. Best served when warm.

For Mbaazi (Pigeon peas), you need the following;
1 Cup, pigeon peas
1 Cup coconut milk
A pinch of salt
1 Onion
Cooking oil
1 cube Knorr

Recipe:
Boil the peas for two hours.
Add cooking oil in a cooking pot, chop the onion and fry until golden brown then add the peas. Let it boil for ten minutes. Do not add water
Heat the coconut milk mixed with the knorr while stirring until the coconut milk becomes thick. Remove from heat and pour it on the peas. Do not stir
Remove it from heat and serve with the mahamris

Note: It is a breakfast snack so it's best topped up with tea or coffe.

Bon appetit!!! wink wink wink

Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by AmakaOne(f): 6:18pm On Apr 28, 2009
Meat pie

Meat Filling
-small potatoes, diced and cooked (to save time, use frozen hash brown potato cubes)
-lean ground beef (or chicken, or turkey)
-frozen mixed vegetables, cooked (I use the peas, carrots and corn mix)
-onion diced
-red and green sweet peppers, diced
- seasonings (salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, knorr/maggie etc, whatever you like)

Dough
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) (it should be cold and hard)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
4-6 tablespoons ice water

-Prepare the filling by browning your meat and spices. WHile it's cooking, stirfry your peppers and onion and veggies. Mix it all together. Taste and adjust seasoning to taste.

-Once ground beef is cooked, add the diced cooked potatoes and heat for 5 minutes. (not too much potatoes). The main purpose is to aborb excesss liquid from the meat mixture, so that you don't end up with soggy meat pies.

-To make dough: Sift together dry ingredients and cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork until mixture is crumbly.

-While mixing with a wooden spoon, add water a tablespoon at a time until dough holds together in a ball (you may need more or less water. Just add small amounts at a time). If the dough is crumbly, add a little more water by drops until the dough stays together when you pinch it.
-When dough comes together into a ball roll out the dough until flat.
- Cut out circles (I use a giant cookie cutter for this). If dough becomes sticky or too soft put in fridge for 10 minutes to cool and then take it out again and continue cutting the circles.
-Place meat stuffing in center of pastry circles.
-Fold over and seal using a fork.
-Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until lightly browned.

Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by AmakaOne(f): 8:19am On Apr 29, 2009
Samosas

Beef Samosa Filling

500g minced beef
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
Chilli to taste
1 tspn ground Tumeric
1 tspn ground Corriander
2 tspn fresh Ginger
50 ml chopped mint
Juice of 1 lemon
2tblspn vegetable oil
Salt, pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and garlic mix in the spices and seasoning and fry until soft. Add the mince, stirring until cooked. Remove from heat and stir in the mint and lemon juice.

Making the Samosa Pastry

You don't have to make your own pastry. You can simply buy some ready-made pastry from the shop. For samosas you want to fry, use Filo Pastry and for samosas you want to cook in the oven use Puff Pastry.

This recipe will make enough pastry for 24 samosas and you will need:

225gm. plain flour
2 tspn. salt
2tblspb. vegetable oil
80 ml warm water.

Mix flour and salt into a bowl.
Make a well into the centre and add the oil and enough water to make a firm dough.
Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth and roll into a ball.
Cover in plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Divide the pastry into 12 equal pieces.
Roll each piece into a ball and roll out into a circle of 15 cm.
Divide this circle into two equal pieces with a knife.

Brush each edge with a little water and form a cone shape around your fingers, sealing the dampened edge.

Fill the cases with a tbs of your chosen mixture and press the two dampened edges together to seal the top of the cone.
Deep fry the samosas in hot oil until crisp and brown take out and drain on a paper towel.

1 Like

Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by uzwu: 6:32pm On Apr 29, 2009
@ AMAKAONE, In the absence of an oven, what can one use to bake cakes etc?
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by AmakaOne(f): 10:13am On Apr 30, 2009
uzwu:

@ AMAKAONE, In the absence of an oven, what can one use to bake cakes etc?

Just about any dessert can be baked on the grill in the same amount of time it would take in a conventional oven.

Just follow these simple tips:

To duplicate an oven-like atomsphere in your grill, prepare the grill for indirect heating .

To maintain an even and constant air flow, place two bricks at least 4" apart on top of the grill rack before heating.

Once the grill has reached the desired temperature, rest cake pan on top of the bricks.

Keep the grill cover down to prevent releasing most of the hot air, or allowing cool air to rush in.

If you don't, your cake won't rise as high as it should.

Do a check for doneness only during the last 15 minutes of the baking time.
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by bsanya(f): 10:35am On Apr 30, 2009
AMAKA ONE!
Thanks 4 that meat pie is lovely and dnt 4get to send another one to me 4 my lunch 2morrow
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by tpiah: 3:44pm On Apr 30, 2009
AMAKAONE:

Just about any dessert can be baked on the grill in the same amount of time it would take in a conventional oven.

Just follow these simple tips:

To duplicate an oven-like atomsphere in your grill, prepare the grill for indirect heating .

To maintain an even and constant air flow, place two bricks at least 4" apart on top of the grill rack before heating.

Once the grill has reached the desired temperature, rest cake pan on top of the bricks.

Keep the grill cover down to prevent releasing most of the hot air, or allowing cool air to rush in.

If you don't, your cake won't rise as high as it should.

Do a check for doneness only during the last 15 minutes of the baking time.

do you know about the sand method?

You can also bake with sand- spread clean sand on the bottom of the pot, heat it thoroughly on a stove then place the baking tin with the cake mixture in the pot and cover it.

The covered pot then works exactly like an oven, although its preferable to use a big one or a large casserole dish.

Some of my friends showed me this in Nigeria and the cakes turned out perfectly well. Of course its a given that the sand musnt mix with the food or else the cake is gone.

Nothing beats an oven for convenience though.
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by Epi: 4:08pm On Apr 30, 2009
I am 'picture Spring cleaning" grin, one from the old files.  I am lazy to type up the way I  make mines but you can follow this recipe from the internet.  Chocolate Chips Cookie and Oatmeal Raisin cookie

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090422134222AAqXoNt

Much love

Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by tpiah: 7:26pm On Apr 30, 2009
epi, amaka, or anyone who knows:

When I bake cookies from scratch (not the mix) they come out like this (raised top)

or this

how can I get them to look like the store bought ones with the "professional" touch eg

Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by Epi: 11:09pm On Apr 30, 2009
Tpiah, The pics you posted are soft chocolate chip cookies.  The cookie  (my pic) is "spread".  Remember cookies come in different size, shape, flavor and texture.

There are four ways you can bake your cookies

Crispness
Softness (under baking/more liquid in the mix) Your pics. 
Chewiness
Spread (my pic) well done/baked

Softness

Basic traits: -

Under baking - Hence the chocolate (visible) don't melt and they don't spread too much
High proportion of liquid
Low sugar and fat
usually done thick to retain more moisture

The third pic you posted (a bit crumbly), all depend on the "whipping" (improper mixing)  although it can be too much sugar, too much shortening (we call it lard) too much baking powder or baking soda.

Underbaking them slightly  (3 min) should do the trick..  Oh yea, don't leave them to cool on the stove top

Much love
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by tpiah: 12:03am On May 01, 2009
epi:

Tpiah, The pics you posted are soft chocolate chip cookies. The cookie (my pic) is "spread". Remember cookies come in different size, shape, flavor and texture.

There are four ways you can bake your cookies

Crispness
Softness (under baking/more liquid in the mix) Your pics.
Chewiness
Spread (my pic) well done/baked

Softness

Basic traits: -

Under baking - Hence the chocolate (visible) don't melt and they don't spread too much
High proportion of liquid
Low sugar and fat
usually done thick to retain more moisture

The third pic you posted (a bit crumbly), all depend on the "whipping" (improper mixing) although it can be too much sugar, too much shortening (we call it lard) too much baking powder or baking soda.

Underbaking them slightly (3 min) should do the trick.. Oh yea, don't leave them to cool on the stove top

Much love

thanks wink

Oh yea, don't leave them to cool on the stove top

I've actually been doing this cool But I'll stop now.
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by Epi: 4:09am On May 01, 2009
here, follow this recipe. it's broken down in steps. 

10 oz Butter or half butter and half crisco
8 oz Granulated sugar
8 oz Brown Sugar
0.24 oz salt

6 oz eggs (If the eggs are small, use 3 eggs)
32 oz Vanilla extract or (2 tsp)

20 oz Pastry flour
0.24 Baking soda

20 oz chocolate chips
8 oz chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Bon vive!
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by mohawkchic(f): 4:28am On May 01, 2009
~I could well be lured to my oven by your recipes to try my hand at baking Cakes /Biscuits ~Meatpies! Now that would be a first!!

~Never given it much thought doing it myself,i've watched some of the process been done keenly but thats as far as my interest goes cheesy
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by tpiah: 2:57pm On May 01, 2009
epi:

here, follow this recipe. it's broken down in steps.

10 oz Butter or half butter and half crisco
8 oz Granulated sugar
8 oz Brown Sugar
0.24 oz salt

6 oz eggs (If the eggs are small, use 3 eggs)
32 oz Vanilla extract or (2 tsp)

20 oz Pastry flour
0.24 Baking soda

20 oz chocolate chips
8 oz chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Bon vive!

thanks! wink

mohawkchic:

~I could well be lured to my oven by your recipes to try my hand at baking Cakes /Biscuits ~Meatpies! Now that would be a first!!

~Never given it much thought doing it myself,i've watched some of the process been done keenly but thats as far as my interest goes cheesy

its fun- you should try it. wink
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by mohawkchic(f): 2:16am On May 02, 2009
tpiah:

its fun- you should try it. wink

~Am going to give it a shot w/ my Son . . .I'll have a camera handy just in case we dont get to do it again! wink
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by acidrop(f): 2:17am On May 02, 2009
yummy thread
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by Saddam: 2:26am On Dec 20, 2010
Start Printing picture on cakes like Ben 10, Hannah Montana   

Call 01 7328442

The Complete System and Package consists of

1 unit  Canon IP3600 printer = 25,000

25 sheets A4 Edible Frosting Sheet  = 10,000

5 sets Edible Ink Printing = 15,000

Total Cost = 50,000

Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by Konquest: 5:31pm On Nov 30, 2011
Omo! Those cookies look VERY real! I feel like grabbing them from my PC screen right NOW! grin
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by Wapgod(m): 2:51am On Feb 19, 2013
Check out the Newest and raining nigerian social network
http://amebo.nstars.org
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by chosenpraise(f): 9:58am On Jul 31, 2013
Saddam: Start Printing picture on cakes like Ben 10, Hannah Montana   

Call 01 7328442

Total Cost = 50,000

Pls i§ Ȋ̝̊̅† still available?
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by zionjewel: 5:20pm On Sep 07, 2013
Saddam: Start Printing picture on cakes like Ben 10, Hannah Montana   

Call 01 7328442

Total Cost = 50,000

I tried calling but none of the numbers went through. Please I really need one. How do we go about it?
Re: Procedure Of Baking Cakes And Snacks:meatpies,donots And So Much More by meemeee: 2:13pm On Sep 25, 2014
hellooo

(1) (Reply)

How Much Is Baking Soda... And Where Can I Buy It From / Five Dollars Pure Water In Kano (photo) / Lara Olateju Flaunts 2015 Cake Designs (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.