Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,892 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome (41514 Views)

Nigerian Artistes Don't Deserve A Grammy - Hiptv CEO, Ayo Animashaun / 10 Nigerian Artistes Who Defy The Usual Lyrics Of Butts And Boobs / Fans Lament Over Empty Seats At Headies As Top Nigerian Artistes Boycott Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by ibolomo(m): 9:10pm On Sep 14, 2015
Djicemob:
Prefer whatever you like angry
seconded

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by ibolomo(m): 9:13pm On Sep 14, 2015
safarigirl:
Asa's voice is nothing spectacular. I rate Timi higher, Nigerians will just gravitate to anything foreign naturally
please re-read your first comment. That doesn't sound like a personal opinion. It reeks with a note of finality, making every one that reads to think that you are saying matter-of-factly that Timi's music is better than that of Asa. Instead, you should just have said that you don't like Asa's style of music. different strokes for different folks.this is the reason why there is increasing failure of English Language in SSCE exams. grin grin
And besides, I don't like Asa because she is Western, I just naturally fell in love with her even when I hadn't known that she was born in France. She has a unique voice that shows and resonates in such a way that it has become a trade-mark, you can't mistake her voice for someone else's. That, my dear, is the reason why she wins awards. and besides, she speaks yoruba better than some "sons of the soil" so.... move your arguements somewhere else and stop derailing this thread. grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by 9inches(m): 9:15pm On Sep 14, 2015
Who cares? Abeg Dj track 3 joor, lets go! grin
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Akiika: 9:15pm On Sep 14, 2015
Real talented artistes are a handful in Nigeria, majority are frustrated unemployed youths that stumbled upon a recording studio that have software that make beats and voices. Producers hand them the lyrics, and once they can just manage to read them through the track....they have become an artiste. I have seen some Nigerian stage performances, ....they really suck!!!! no choreograph, nothing! It's not entertaining.
It's fraud for artiste to collect gate fee from me only to lip-sync to songs i already have on my phone or other music media.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by scarred9jan(m): 9:20pm On Sep 14, 2015
Octaves:
What do you expect them to sing when auto-tune was doing the singing for them in the studio.
We dont have real vocalists in Naija (except for very few). All we have are commercial hit makers with no real singing talent. Put most of them on stage and give them a standard classic song to perform and 90% will flop so hard. Most Naija ppl dont even appreciate real singing talent. They love auto tune and could care less if an artiste is performing life or playing the very studio record u already have on ur i pad

I blame the companies that endorse these overpampered, talentless druggies. they give mediocre talents a lot of money to churn out and perform a whole load of rubbish. A fraction of the money if invested in sports or individuals with exceptional talents would definitely change lives.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Drahmah: 9:22pm On Sep 14, 2015
I agree that a lot of Nigerian singers still lip-sync, but its not all of them. More established artists like wizkid, tuface, yemi alade, p square, lagbaja, etc have moved their live performances up a notch, by bringing their bands along to stage. You only need to follow their instagram pages to see for yourself. And in the case of the glo lafta fest, i wouldn't really call them out because that show isn't exactly a concert. But i still, could have sworn i saw wizkid perform with his band/ dj.

Oh, and foreign artists do lip-syncing too. It just depends on the show. Not every performance requires a band/instrumentalists.
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by ijekul(m): 9:23pm On Sep 14, 2015
Djicemob:
I've been reading how you trying aimlessly to play Asa's brand down over Timi's and i cant help but wonder if you listen to music for listening sake.Mentioning Asa and Timi's name in the same sentence is an insult in itself.Check! am a true hiphop and hardcore addict,i was the type of guy that changes the channel anytime i hear an R n B or soul music,it was garbage to me but Asa changed that,her album was actually the first non-rap album i bought with my money -she was that good.Did you say Timi? Heck! Praise is better than Timi. angry

U made sense until u said praise is better than TIMI cheesy plz take ur drugs grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Rexnegro(m): 9:25pm On Sep 14, 2015
Sanchez01:

True that, Tuface, Lagbaja and a few are the only ones we have around as far as live performances are concerned.
Asa, dare , should be on ur list bro too.
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by sweatlana: 9:27pm On Sep 14, 2015
It's a shame lips singing has become a norm
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by pauldehero(m): 9:27pm On Sep 14, 2015
i am sure that i will save nigerian music from collapsing , i am doing all i can to promote my songs to the best level, by then we can take the world by storm, nija got talents believe me, just that some people are not encouraging at all, so the struggles continue, the only nigerian song that can win
grammy,you will be amazed how
far african music has gone thanks,...shear
to everyone , http://
www.datafilehost.com/d/fb32f387
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by bummyla(m): 9:30pm On Sep 14, 2015
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by nigeriancuban: 9:33pm On Sep 14, 2015
Sanchez01:

True that, Tuface, Lagbaja and a few are the only ones we have around as far as live performances are concerned.
9ice definitely stepping up his game too
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by isacolukay(m): 9:33pm On Sep 14, 2015
safarigirl:
Nobody does better live performances in naija than P-square, Banky W, Timi Dakolo and Flavour and most recently, Yemi Alade, everybody else na wash.

I bet you have not seen DBanj and Olamide on stage.
Those guys kill the show and keep their audience enthralled throughout their performance on stage.

Op failed to mention the duo of Milli Vanilli. An American music group synonymous with lip syncing. I learnt that a Grammy award was withdrawn from them because of this.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by dododawa1: 9:37pm On Sep 14, 2015
Kwam 1

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Simplyunique: 9:37pm On Sep 14, 2015
Sanchez01:

Nigerians, we're fond of answering questions with questions. And yes, I know what LIVE performance is. D'banj is a lip syncher, last I checked. This brought about my question "when did he start doing LIVE performances?"
Bro check the last glo caf awards 2014 held in Nigeria. D'banj nailed it,, Psquare (wack) also pls check the final of the 2013 Nations cup where D'banj performed Top of the world. Also check Ali baba's comedy show from January this year. D'banj performed live and he totally killed it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by 400billionman: 9:39pm On Sep 14, 2015
If them annoy you again.

Call the police. Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by otokx(m): 9:42pm On Sep 14, 2015
Sanchez01:

You raised the most important point there. Rather than leave people with something worth remembering, the keep revelling in a wicked vicious cycle. No Nigerian artistes has ever left me speechless with their performance. My sole purpose of avoiding them overtime remains the same.

Have you been opportuned to see FELA live in performance?
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by otokx(m): 9:44pm On Sep 14, 2015
pauldehero:
i am sure that i will save nigerian music from collapsing , i am doing all i can to promote my songs to the best level, by then we can take the world by storm, nija got talents believe me, just that some people are not encouraging at all, so the struggles continue, the only nigerian song that can win
grammy,you will be amazed how
far african music has gone thanks,...shear
to everyone , http://
www.datafilehost.com/d/fb32f387

What instrument do you major on?
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Truth234(m): 9:47pm On Sep 14, 2015
Ziggyzito:
this is another hater. D'banj is the king of the stage. This dude has been doing live performances since 2007. It isn't easy. P-square just started using bands 3 years ago. D'banj is one of the best performers in Nigeria. Stop hating. Quote me with insults and I won't bother replying.

Thank you, he started before most of them. In fact he is the best, follow by Sound Sultan
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Nobody: 9:47pm On Sep 14, 2015
We are use to it
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Ziggyzito(m): 9:48pm On Sep 14, 2015
Truth234:

Thank you, he started before most of them. In fact he is the best, follow by Sound Sultan
7 gun salutes for you. D'banj is king. Haters will die.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Nobody: 9:48pm On Sep 14, 2015
safarigirl:
whatever you guys think it is, I don't like it. Everyone doesn't have the same idea of 'good music', some of us just don't like her style. It doesn't mean we don't know good music, we just don't like that one. I rank her alongside Nneka, I'll probably dose off if I have to see either of them in a concert. Timi's voice is strong, powerful and can hit you where it matters (listen to Great Nation, it's one of the best songs to ever come from Nigeria), Timi over Asa anyday. And we're back to the same ish of "Asa is awesome cuz the Western world likes her", why do we rate artistes based on who the West approves? Why can't we rate Africans on who Africans approve? Or are we not good enough to determine our brand of music?

So because she is western we must support a local art who is not even better.

That's very bad!!

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by scarred9jan(m): 9:49pm On Sep 14, 2015
safarigirl:
Asa is based in Europe and blew from there that's why she majorly performs there, it's not her live performances that make her a toast. Timi is a better artiste than Asa by any ramification, but you don't see him everywhere in Europe
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Ustec: 9:50pm On Sep 14, 2015
Since the day I watched Akon live in ilorin in the year 2010....@ the ilorin metropolitant square ...that was the day I realiz our 9ja artistes are just waste of money and time to come perform on stage...those @ the show can testify..!
Modified....
yea,..only D'banj performed well in that show....the likes of p-square,9ice,naeto-c,sauce kid,omowumi and the rest na just waste of time..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Warlord3000(m): 9:55pm On Sep 14, 2015
I just think Timi is a big imitation of Lemar who also is an imitation of Jaheim so WTF...

BUT ASA.... wow cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Nobody: 9:55pm On Sep 14, 2015
When it comes to life performance, I will go for this artiste anyday, anytime
1. Dbanj
2. Tuface
3. Sound Sultan
4. P-Square
5. Lagbaja
6. ASA

You can visit YouTube and check them out if you think I lie. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by fromnigeria(m): 9:57pm On Sep 14, 2015
Imagine Chief Osadebe (late), Bright Chimezie, Ali chukwuma, Ogbogu okonji, Celestine Ugwu etc. singing along live.

'Impossicant' now.

#TeamHighlifeMusic. grin
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Nobody: 9:59pm On Sep 14, 2015
jcmaiah:

Hmm, I see where you going. Its not every that loves pitches, personally i dont, except in occasional cases. Please when we talk of singers never mention Davido, I carry God beg you.
cheesy
jcmaiah:

Hmm, I see where you going. Its not every that loves pitches, personally i dont, except in occasional cases. Please when we talk of singers never mention Davido, I carry God beg you.
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by bigtt76(f): 10:00pm On Sep 14, 2015
Like seriously aside 2Baba, The Kutis, Lagbaja ....I can't spend my money watching all those so-called Nigerian Musicians grin
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 14, 2015
14:

blame it on Autotune. 99% of musicians in nigeria use autotune in their songs.
I've seen live performances where the autotune is layered over the person's voice. That's not an excuse.
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Nobody: 10:13pm On Sep 14, 2015
Drahmah:
I agree that a lot of Nigerian singers still lip-sync, but its not all of them. More established artists like wizkid, tuface, yemi alade, p square, lagbaja, etc have moved their live performances up a notch, by bringing their bands along to stage. You only need to follow their instagram pages to see for yourself. And in the case of the glo lafta fest, i wouldn't really call them out because that show isn't exactly a concert. But i still, could have sworn i saw wizkid perform with his band/ dj.

Oh, and foreign artists do lip-syncing too. It just depends on the show. Not every performance requires a band/instrumentalists.
The glo lafta fest performance wizkid did was horrible. I only managed it because I loved some songs he performed however my attention waned after 10 minutes.
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by IamOpemipo(m): 10:14pm On Sep 14, 2015
Lol..wich yeye psquare, soso usher dance for stage..

Gimme Asa, 2face and d'banj and i'm good to go

Only God knows the number of times av watchd d'banj live performances @ hackney show , colourful world of more, lagos countdown, afcon final, idol finale 2012, bba finale 2014, all the glo laff fest..dude was outta dis world..

I h8t stereotypes..asa is foreign? U knw ow many copies her 1st album sold in nigeria? U knw ow much she infused yoruba in2 her lyrics?
Frm bibanke to bimpe, eyo, broda ole, gratful, Satan be gone..etc

Cohbams even sing pass timi, wich song e gt sef..thank God for GEJ in his life, let's see the major shows he'll b performing at now that pdp is outta power..iranu

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Full List Of Winners At The Headies 2022 / List Of Nigerian Radio Stations That Are Online (stream) / Olamide’s Wo & Wavy Level, Davido’s IF & Fall And 9ice’s Living Things Banned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.