Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,633 members, 7,801,825 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:45 AM

Obama And His 500 Crew - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama And His 500 Crew (1017 Views)

Photos: Is President Obama And President Joko Of Indonesia Identical Brothers? / Obama And Us Military Did Not Legalise Sex With Animals / 10 Similarities Between Obama And Yaradua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama And His 500 Crew by DisGuy: 7:49pm On Apr 05, 2009
Obama will fly into London for his first visit to the UK as president of the United States on Tuesday to take part in the G20 summit in the capital's Docklands area. He will not be travelling light.

More than 500 officials and staff will accompany the president on his tour this week - along with a mass of high-tech security equipment, including the $300,000 presidential limousine, known as The Beast. Fitted with night-vision camera, reinforced steel plating, tear- gas cannon and oxygen tanks, the vehicle is the ultimate in heavy armoured transport.

US security teams have already carried out three visits to prepare for Obama's first official visit to Britain. The first was a "site survey", the second a "pre-advance visit" which was carried out to pick sites that the president would visit. Finally there was the "advance trip", which took place last week. Its purpose was to set up equipment, sweep venues for electronic bugs, test food for poison and measure air quality for bacteria.
Re: Obama And His 500 Crew by DisGuy: 7:50pm On Apr 05, 2009
The entourage

Apart from the 200 secret service personnel who will follow Obama on his European tour, the president's entourage will also include representatives of the White House Military Office, the White House Transportation Agency, the White House Medical Unit, the Marine Corps Helicopter Squadron, the State Department Presidential Travel Support Service, the US Information Agency, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service and the Customs Service.

In addition, there will be staff from the White House kitchen ready to turn out a quick burger should the president suddenly feel peckish.

Michelle Obama will have eight of her own staff, including a secretary, a press officer and bodyguards. And Obama's personal aide Reggie Love - called by the president "the kid brother I never had" - will be at hand to provide pens, Nicorette gum, throat lozenges, tea or even aspirins

Guardian Uk
Re: Obama And His 500 Crew by DisGuy: 7:57pm On Apr 05, 2009
Is this routine procedure for American presidents? Or it just seems noticeable now

Is Obama under more attack than say G Bush?

Is the crew this much to advice Obama with his economic and foreign policies

i noticed he had longer pauses than usual when discussing the economy
Re: Obama And His 500 Crew by TayoD1(m): 8:21pm On Apr 05, 2009
@topic,

I don't think the crew is a big deal. I bet it is just as large as any ever used by a former sitting president of the US. What I'll just like to know is this: how many teleprompters accompained him on the trip? grin
Re: Obama And His 500 Crew by Remii(m): 8:29pm On Apr 05, 2009
Clinton came to Nigeria with 1000 during Obj rule.
Re: Obama And His 500 Crew by Nobody: 10:25pm On Apr 05, 2009
no difference. Watch the documentary on Airforce 1 during the Bush era . . . same large entourage most of which are actually advance security teams.
Re: Obama And His 500 Crew by DisGuy: 10:58pm On Apr 05, 2009
Tayo-D:

@topic,

I don't think the crew is a big deal. I bet it is just as large as any ever used by a former sitting president of the US. What I'll just like to know is this: how many teleprompters accompained him on the trip? grin

Not enough or perhaps they got the plugs wrong, his speeches weren't flowing as they were back home
not that he could use them anyway, he had to answer random questions

his Korean missile speech is the routine prepared speech
Re: Obama And His 500 Crew by Nobody: 3:47am On Apr 06, 2009
if only Bush had used teleprompters, he wont have made so many gaffes.
Re: Obama And His 500 Crew by ElRazur: 10:04am On Apr 06, 2009
davidylan:

no difference. Watch the documentary on Airforce 1 during the Bush era . . . same large entourage most of which are actually advance security teams.

Bingo.

People tend to forget that. Also thanks to what some will perceive as "bad America's foreign policy", the President is obviously a target for several groups and people around the world. smiley

During the Clinton era, I worked in an art gallery where Clinton paid a visit. His men took control of everything and talked to our security men like they are running kindergarten. Also a few people where vetted to work on that day. Those men who look after him just have "shot and ask questions later" written all over them. Having said that, they look professional but with a hint of "Assassin mode" on their faces. smiley
Re: Obama And His 500 Crew by TayoD1(m): 7:15pm On Apr 06, 2009
@Davidylan,

if only Bush had used teleprompters, he wont have made so many gaffes.
Maybe, but at least he wasn't so hung up on teleprompters that he becomes a wreck without them as recorded by the British press recently.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/03/g20-barack-obama-nick-robinson-question
Re: Obama And His 500 Crew by Nobody: 7:21pm On Apr 06, 2009
Tayo-D:

@Davidylan,
Maybe, but at least he wasn't so hung up on teleprompters that he becomes a wreck without them as recorded by the British press recently.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/03/g20-barack-obama-nick-robinson-question

he's not my father . . . so i dont care. cheesy
I think he needs to wean himself off the teleprompter though . . . the presidency isnt about fancy speeches to be honest.
Re: Obama And His 500 Crew by Horus(m): 8:11pm On Apr 06, 2009

(1) (Reply)

America On The Road To Marxism / Schoolboy Becomes Father At Just 13 / Cindy Mccain Poses For Ad For Gay Rights Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.