Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:01 AM

The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola (9078 Views)

How Oba Of Lagos Greeted His Former Visitors (Photos) / Big Python Saved In My Village(pics) / Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by bigfrancis21: 9:18pm On Sep 10, 2015
Radoillo:

Yea, there are hopelessly tiny pieces of information on the net. I had to connect slivers of information from here and there, and make some deductions. I started looking up 'Deborah Regina McIntosh' and her father 'Chief Andrew McIntosh' and her brother 'Dr Andrew Omashogowa McIntosh', connecting the dots as I go along.

Oh, that's cool. I barely have time nowadays, ever since school started, to surf the internet in details.

How's the weather in UK?
Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by macof(m): 9:20pm On Sep 10, 2015
@bigFrancis can you just quit the crap and be sincere with yourself?

The woman has ancestral links all over, the only ethnicity she can really hold on to is her father's: Ewe

It would be us making it into a joke to say Ewe-Igbo-Yoruba - Itsekiri - Scotish Woman

1 Like

Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by Nobody: 9:26pm On Sep 10, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Oh, that's cool. I barely have time nowadays, ever since school started, to surf the internet in details.

How's the weather in UK?

I'm actually in Naija now. Flew in sometime last month.

1 Like

Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by scholes0(m): 10:28pm On Sep 10, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Thanks for the information. I had earlier searched to find out what tribe the Adadevoh family comes from in Ghana but was unable to find something useful.

So that makes Stella Ewe-Igbo-Yoruba then!

Ewe is more like 77% Yoruba genetically - though
SO you see ---- She is just like an African American genetically.

Edited..
Oh wait...... she has Itsekiri ancestry too? This their family sef.

1 Like

Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by bigfrancis21: 10:42pm On Sep 10, 2015
scholes0:

Ewe is more like 77% Yoruba genetically - though
SO you see ---- She is just like an African American genetically.

Edited..
Oh wait...... she has Itsekiri ancestry too? This their family sef.

Any DNA evidence to prove this? I said DNA evidence.
Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by scholes0(m): 10:44pm On Sep 10, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Any DNA evidence to prove this? I said DNA evidence.

Ewe is Majority Bight of Benin, with minor Gold coast influences.
They, together with others in the Gbe language family are mostly Yoruba genetically.

1 Like

Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by bigfrancis21: 10:59pm On Sep 10, 2015
scholes0:

They, together with others in the Gbe language family are mostly Yoruba genetically.

Well I can't regard your statement as valid without some sort of evidence in form of DNA.

It is just like claiming that majority of Ibibios and Ijaws are over 50% Igbo by blood (which is something that is deeply acknowledged within man amongst these tribes and is most likely true due to the frequency of inter-marriage between the men of these tribes and Igbo women from the hinterland. Asari Dokubo, an Ijaw leader, declared recently that majority of his grandmothers but 1 have all been Igbo) but without some sort of definite evidence I cannot categorically say for sure that Ibibios and Ijwas are over 50% Ijaw. You get what I mean? That is not how facts are placed in the scientific field.

Folklore of tribes have changed in recent times, stories long passed down from generation to generation have been modified to favour current circumstances. No one takes such folklore too seriously except there is DNA evidence to back it up.
Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by scholes0(m): 11:10pm On Sep 10, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Well I can't regard your statement as valid without some sort of evidence in form of DNA.

It is just like claiming that majority of Ibibios and Ijaws are over 50% Igbo by blood (which is something that is deeply acknowledged within man amongst these tribes and is most likely true due to the frequency of inter-marriage between the men of these tribes and Igbo women from the hinterland. Asari Dokubo, an Ijaw leader, declared recently that majority of his grandmothers but 1 have all been Igbo) but without some sort of definite evidence I cannot categorically say for sure that Ibibios and Ijwas are over 50% Ijaw. You get what I mean? That is not how facts are placed in the scientific field.

Folklore of tribes have changed in recent times, stories long passed down from generation to generation have been modified to favour current circumstances. No one takes such folklore too seriously except there is DNA evidence to back it up.

Well, I dunno...
but I am sure genetics can prove it. I will do a research when I have the time.
According to Ewe historical accounts, they all came from Ketu (Amedzofe) which happens to be Yoruba land, and migrated westwards.... Even in Ghana, they acknowledge that Ewes have a different outlook from the Akans west of the volta river.

In Ewe oral history, Amedzofe (pronounced [amedzoɸɛ], literally 'origin/home of humanity', is one of the names for Ketu. Ketu, in present-day Benin, was a central place in the history of the Gbe peoples. The Gbe peoples originally were part of the Yoruba Oyo people of Nigeria, but they were pressed westward by a series of wars between the 10th and the 13th century. In Ketu, the ancestors of the Gbe-speaking peoples separated themselves from other refugees and began to establish their own identity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amedzofe_(history)

Ibibios to me seem to be Aboriginals mixed with some minor blood from Bantoid Cameroon.... Ijaw is just a mysterious case.
Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by scholes0(m): 11:18pm On Sep 10, 2015
Note: I am not talking of intermarriages here, but rather the ethnogenesis of the entire population.
Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by bigfrancis21: 11:22pm On Sep 10, 2015
scholes0:

Well, I dunno...
but I am sure genetics can prove it. I will do a research when I have the time.
According to Ewe historical accounts, they all came from Ketu (Amedzofe) which happens to be Yoruba land, and migrated westwards.... Even in Ghana, they acknowledge that Ewes have a different outlook from the Akans west of the volta river.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amedzofe_(history)

Ibibios to me seem to be Aboriginals mixed with some minor blood from Bantoid Cameroon.... Ijaw is just a mysterious case.

I am much aware of this folklore. I must admit that there is a tendency of a few non-Yoruba tribes to identify with Ife, I think to partake in the much-spoken Yoruba-Ife origin theory. People would definitely want to identify with some popular trend. It is normal though. The folklore is understandable.

However, without some form of DNA evidence really confirming your claim of 77%, I would rather not regard it as valid.
Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by bigfrancis21: 11:23pm On Sep 10, 2015
scholes0:
Note: I am not talking of intermarriages here, but rather the ethnogenesis of the entire population.

What is inter-marriage? What is mixing? What is ethnogenesis? How do populations multiply in the first place if not by inter-marriage? Especially in a marriage-focused environment like Africa??
Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by scholes0(m): 11:33pm On Sep 10, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I am much aware of this folklore. I must admit that there is a tendency of a few non-Yoruba tribes to identify with Ife, I think to partake in the much-spoken Yoruba-Ife origin theory. People would definitely want to identify with some popular trend. It is normal though. The folklore is understandable.

However, without some form of DNA evidence really confirming your claim of 77%, I would not regard it as valid.

77% is just something I threw down off hand... nothing scientific, however I meant the majority.
There is genetic in-variation in between Yorubas themselves, just like there is genetic in-variation within Igbos. A Savé (Sabe) or an Abeokuta and a Kabba man won't have the same make-up, just the same way an Nsukka and an Aba man wont have the same genetics.... A man from Ipokia in Western Ogun state or Porto Novo in Benin however, would be VERY close to a man from Ho in Ghana genetically
Don't worry I will do a genetic search (scientific evidence) when I have the time.

BTW: When I mean intermarriages, I am referring to the ore recent exchange in genetic material. As opposed to the older MASS MIGRATION OF ENTIRE BLOCKS of the population...... you get the difference?
Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by macof(m): 11:47pm On Sep 10, 2015
scholes0:

Aren't most west africans linked genetically? and with the many cases of intermarriage between yorubas and Ewes

Or are you thinking something deeper than this?
Oh! I see the Amedzofe origin. The people of Amedzofe were driven westwards by the invading Ketu from Ife

I don't see the special genetic connection between Ewe and Yoruba there
Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by iamord(m): 3:50am On Sep 11, 2015
macof:

No that makes her Nigerian-Ewe

Her igbo and yoruba ancestry is to far behind in my opinion, her paternal grandmother was the last yoruba person in her ancestry and maternal great grandmother the last igbo

If families as prominent as Hebert Macaulay and Nnamdi Azikiwe weren't involved will anybody take note of her far igbo and yoruba connection?
but what is all this segregation about.?? It's not cool. She is Ghanaian Nigerian pere.

1 Like

Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by bigfrancis21: 5:47am On Sep 11, 2015
scholes0:

77% is just something I threw down off hand... nothing scientific, however I meant the majority.
There is genetic in-variation in between Yorubas themselves, just like there is genetic in-variation within Igbos. A Savé (Sabe) or an Abeokuta and a Kabba man won't have the same make-up, just the same way an Nsukka and an Aba man wont have the same genetics.... A man from Ipokia in Western Ogun state or Porto Novo in Benin however, would be VERY close to a man from Ho in Ghana genetically
Don't worry I will do a genetic search (scientific evidence) when I have the time.

BTW: When I mean intermarriages, I am referring to the ore recent exchange in genetic material. As opposed to the older MASS MIGRATION OF ENTIRE BLOCKS of the population...... you get the difference?

Genetic variation exists within tribes, groups or the same set of people, however genetic affinity between people within a tribe tends to be fairly constant and there is always a genetic marker common within that tribe that identifies that tribe. DNA markers have been studied and mapped for the different tribes of africa and the tribal markers are distinct from each other. This way, DNA testing companies are able to take DNA samples of afro-descended peoples and test it against a database of tribal genetic markers of africa to ascertain which tribe it closely resembles. Despite how close-by Ijaws and Ibibios in general have co-existed with the Igbos since the last 400 years, there are still distinct genetic differences that ensure that afro-descended peoples are able to locate their tribal origins to specifically Igbo or Ijaw or Ibibio. How much more ethnic groups living thousands of miles apart from themselves since hundreds of years with much less incidents of inter-marriage.

Constantly, african americans have had their DNA test turn out to be Ewe and some turn out to be Yoruba, indicating that THERE IS HUGE GENETIC DIFFERENCE between both tribes. Else for if Ewe had '77%' genetic similarity or more with Yorubas as you would love to claim, then there shouldn't be any result coming out to be Ewe but all should turn out Yoruba instead. But that is not the case.
http://madamenoire.com/409661/ancestry-dna-results/

Some folklore are more of made-up tales than they are truth.

I would love to think that inter-marriages occurred more often in the past when there was no ethnic consciousness and frictions that come with it rather just peaceful tribes living and co-existing side by side with each other, compared to now.

I would be expecting the result of your research and also how you went by your result.

Until then it is safe to disregard whatsoever your 77% hypothesis.

Science employs DNA testing in mapping out likely areas of origin for areas and people and if I were you and I want to really take seriously the folklore of Ife origin for the Ewes, I would conduct extensive DNA analysis between Ewes and Yorubas to establish a common dna ancestry. Up until now, there has not been any established DNA connection so far.
Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by IamAtribalist: 12:24pm On Sep 11, 2015
So let me get this straight: A mod started an argument with an OP, the mod lost and then rather than take it like a man the mod bans the OP. No wonder Nigeria is in a perpetual state of stupor - idiots abusing their power. I don't know much about this Emilokoiya guy but from the little I have seen of his posts, he never attacks until he is attacked. A real smart guy too judging from what I have seen of his posts so far.

1 Like

Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by absoluteSuccess: 1:09pm On Sep 11, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Genetic variation exists within tribes, groups or the same set of people, however genetic affinity between people within a tribe tends to be fairly constant and there is always a genetic marker common within that tribe that identifies that tribe. DNA markers have been studied and mapped for the different tribes of africa and the tribal markers are distinct from each other. This way, DNA testing companies are able to take DNA samples of afro-descended peoples and test it against a database of tribal genetic markers of africa. Despite how close-by Ijaws and Ibibios in general have co-existed with the Igbos since the last 400 years, there are still distinct genetic differences that ensure that afro-descended peoples are able to locate their tribal origins to specifically Igbo or Ijaw or Ibibio. How much more ethnic groups living thousands of miles apart from themselves since hundreds of years
Science of ruthless division for the divisive. God help us

1 Like

Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by macof(m): 1:39pm On Sep 11, 2015
iamord:
but what is all this segregation about.?? It's not cool. She is Ghanaian Nigerian pere.

Right, but people here seem hung up on her ethnicity undecided
Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by bigfrancis21: 1:40pm On Sep 11, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Science of ruthless division for the divisive. God help us

Even among Caucasians, there are different gene markers for different groups such as the Irish, the German, the French, the Spaniards etc. It is no divisive tactics whatsoever. Whites in america often undertake the same test to find out they have scottish, italian or french ancestries. You want to tell me that is Science of ruthless division for the divisive? undecided
Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by bigfrancis21: 1:43pm On Sep 11, 2015
IamAtribalist:
So let me get this straight: A mod started an argument with an OP, the mod lost and then rather than take it like a man the mod bans the OP. No wonder Nigeria is in a perpetual state of stupor - idiots abusing their power. I don't know much about this Emilokoiya guy but from the little I have seen of his posts, he never attacks until he is attacked. A real smart guy too judging from what I have seen of his posts so far.

I think I already know who this is. Creating a new account just to post in the culture section. I will be watching you closely.
Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by IamAtribalist: 1:53pm On Sep 11, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I think I already know who this is. Creating a new account just to post in the culture section. I will be watching you closely.

Shoo - who is this one again? 9ja people and mental illness grin grin
Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by absoluteSuccess: 2:31pm On Sep 11, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Even among Caucasians, there are different gene markers for different groups such as the Irish, the German, the French, the Spaniards etc. It is no divisive tactics whatsoever. Whites in america often undertake the same test to find out they have scottish, italian or french ancestries. You want to tell me that is Science of ruthless division for the divisive? undecided
The whites in America knew their history and may want to connect with their remote past for the fun of it. They never had the AA experience. What dna test arouse in AA is different. Import this to a place of great linguistic diversity as Nigeria to revamp her pre-historical state and you will end up with the burden of telling us the spring of each isolated Mtdna, which forms the variant intra-tribal biometric infrastructure. At what point does Mdna variation manifest? linguistic, ethnic border, tribesname and so on? How does dna anchored on ethnic line tell us of pre-ethnic root?
Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by bigfrancis21: 5:18am On Sep 12, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
The whites in America knew their history and may want to connect with their remote past for the fun of it. They never had the AA experience. What dna test arouse in AA is different. Import this to a place of great linguistic diversity as Nigeria to revamp her pre-historical state and you will end up with the burden of telling us the spring of each isolated Mtdna, which forms the variant intra-tribal biometric infrastructure. At what point does Mdna variation manifest? linguistic, ethnic border, tribesname and so on? How does dna anchored on ethnic line tell us of pre-ethnic root?

@bold...no that is absolutely false. Since the early 1600s the first Europeans settled in the US till the 20th century, the Spaniards, French, Italians, Scots, Germans etc have long settled in the US, many of whom have been absorbed into the 'general' white population, adopted English names and the languages. White families are turning to DNA testing companies in droves to rediscover their European roots, i.e. where in Europe their ancestors came from. Some percentage of whites have native American DNA and even African DNA, especially whites living in the South.

Thus in effect, DNA testing is no such 'divisive tool' as you claim. After all, blacks were naturally already divided into different languages and ethnic groups long before European colonization associated tribal names to each group. The DNA test merely seeks to connect those with no access to their ancestral ties to their origins.
Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by ray78: 2:38pm On Oct 16, 2015
Radoillo:
I don't think any of us here fully realises how complicated Dr Ameyo's genealogy is. Like, I've literally never seen anything like it! Her ancestors were just busy marrying all across West Africa, and even Western Europe.

I couldn't find who exactly Okwuegbunam Azikiwe married, but apparently her grand daughter Deborah Regina McIntosh (Dr Ameyo's mum) had Scottish and Itsekiri ancestry. It's just overwhelming.
Her ancestry is indeed interesting.I do know that her maternal great grandmother-Okwuegbunam was the elder sister to Obed Azikiwe(Dr Nnamdi Azikiwes father) who had a child with a Scottish man.This child was Chief Andrew McIntosh,hence the first cousin to Great Zik.Chief ANdrew Mcintosh then married an Itsekiri/Saro lady to give birth to Deborah Mcintosh later Adadevoh-Ameyos Mother.So in earnest,late Dr Adadevohs maternal side is a motley of,Onitsha(igbo),Itsekiri,Scottish and Sierra Leonean blood.While her paternal ancestry is Yoruba Sierra leonean and Ewe(Ghanaian) blood.
A daughter of Africa and the world indeed!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ghanaian-Igbo-Yoruba Woman That Saved The Population Of Lagos From Ebola by tpiander: 6:01pm On Oct 16, 2015
Lord have mercy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Lesson To Fulani On NL, Never Forget Whom You Are / Chief Akkiri, Mum-zi Birthdays / Yoruba Grammar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.