Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,645 members, 7,801,875 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras (3717 Views)

Lagos Launches Office Of Overseas Affairs And Investment (pics) / Lagos To Install 10,000 CCTV Cameras Across The State / Federal Government Launches 10,000 Mortgages For Affordable Housing Units (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by proudly9ja(m): 11:00pm On Apr 05, 2009
The Lagos State Govt launches 10,000 CCTV cameras for her Safe City Project.

Very laudible in my opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZd744ITJK4
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by mustafar1: 11:29pm On Apr 05, 2009
Ok
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by DisGuy: 12:32am On Apr 06, 2009
check your title

i'll like to see how they actually use it, that way people will buy into it
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by iReport: 12:57am On Apr 06, 2009
Good.
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by lucabrasi(m): 12:08pm On Apr 06, 2009
again,an awesome and well thoughout initiative which will go a long way in crime reduction
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by blacksta(m): 12:19pm On Apr 06, 2009
impressive  - i need to move back home and be a part of this development .  information technology is my arena  i have been opportuned to see a lot of tried and tested innovations here in europe. Fashola has definately got the WILL for change.
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by Eziachi: 12:28pm On Apr 06, 2009
Another good idea but:
Does it work without power?
Has Nigerian police any crime data of any sort where you can match an image?
Another waste of money and time! Buying wheel and tyre before owing a car first.
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by blacksta(m): 1:01pm On Apr 06, 2009
Eziachi:

Another good idea but:
Does it work without power?
Has Nigerian police any crime data of any sort where you can match an image?
Another waste of money and time! Buying wheel and tyre before owing a car first.

obvoiusly you were listening to the audio clip. Very pessimistic . it is a solar powered wireless cctv / the primary use to manage transportation / deployment of resources - police , fire service , lasma , ambulance etc

Please watch the clip again
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by blacksta(m): 1:02pm On Apr 06, 2009
smiley
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by Sauron1: 1:21pm On Apr 06, 2009
iReport:

Good.

I hope Nollywood wannabes won't steal these cameras to direct Zeb Ejiro movies. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by Horus(m): 1:22pm On Apr 06, 2009
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by Nobody: 1:45pm On Apr 06, 2009
since its objective is not security, but rather crisis control, it should work

Fashola is obviously a smart man who realises that CCTV as a security tool is practically worthless in the hands of the gun toting semi illiterates we call police officers.
but with several coordinated organizations already in place( lastma etal) cctv can be used for a quick response to unfolding crises
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by Skywalker5(m): 1:53pm On Apr 06, 2009
This guy is the best. FASHOLA FOR PRESIDENT OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Although, they need to find a way of getting people identities in thier database so they could always know any one who commits crime profiles and stuff. although its not easy but this is a f--king major development in Lagos State. it might not be very efficient from the start but surely they will develop it more.Fashola is really trying to make lagos state the hottest state in africa

With people like this.i feel proud to come back to Nigeria
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by sleekp1: 2:26pm On Apr 06, 2009
For the pessimist amongst us, how does this Gov achieve all these near impossible feat

[size=20pt]  ? [/size]                             

If we believe in our nation.
                                            [size=15pt]YES WE CAN[/size]
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by blacksta(m): 2:32pm On Apr 06, 2009
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

YES WE CAN
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by moneygurl: 2:40pm On Apr 06, 2009
sleek_p:

For the pessimist amongst us, how does this Gov achieve all these near impossible feat

[size=20pt]  ? [/size]                             

If we believe in our nation.
                                            [size=15pt]YES WE CAN[/size]

Maybe its because PDP does not have much presence in Lagos, apart from a very few in the Lagos house of assembly.
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by ilaugh1: 2:56pm On Apr 06, 2009
blacksta:

impressive  - i need to move back home and be a part of this development .  information technology is my arena  i have been opportuned to see a lot of tried and tested innovations here in europe.  Fashola has definately got the WILL for change.

I will be the first to stop you from coming to the same home you and your likes have rained curses and aspersion on so much.
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by ilaugh1: 2:57pm On Apr 06, 2009
Sky-walker:

This guy is the best. FASHOLA FOR PRESIDENT OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Although, they need to find a way of getting people identities in thier database so they could always know any one who commits crime profiles and stuff. although its not easy but this is a f--king major development in Lagos State. it might not be very efficient from the start but surely they will develop it more.Fashola is really trying to make lagos state the hottest state in africa

With people like this.i feel proud to come back  to Nigeria

Who "f--king" needs you back in Nigeria?
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by blacksta(m): 3:13pm On Apr 06, 2009
i_laugh:

I will be the first to stop you from coming to the same home you and your likes have rained curses and aspersion on so much.

Dear friend

have you heard of constructive criticism.  If the so called Government have a will then the people will follow. please come and stop me
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by redsun(m): 3:41pm On Apr 06, 2009
Fashola should be given a long time to  run lagos or even nigeria.He is a visionary.

In as much as the grassroots problems are still there,but he is making the right moves,forward steps not backwards that is synonymous with typical african leaders.
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by keyremotes(m): 8:34pm On Apr 06, 2009
[size=28pt]A NOTE OF WARNING TO CRIMINALLY MINDED PEOPLE IN LAGOS.

NO MORE HIDING PLACE!!
[/size]
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by sbo(m): 11:24am On Apr 07, 2009
It was interesting to read about the plans by the Lagos State Government to commence a full operation of 24-hour surveillance cameras in Lagos. The cameras are aimed at monitoring daily situation across the metropolis through a network of security and command centres. The multi-million naira initiative which is to be executed under the Safe City Project is being financed through the Security Trust Fund of the state government.

It may be recalled that Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, at the commemoration of his 400 days in office disclosed plans to install Close Circuit Television (CCTV) across the state as part of efforts to particularly reduce crime rate.

There is no doubt that most of us have either been or know someone who has been a victim of crime. The importance of CCTV cameras in solving complex criminal investigations cannot be overemphasised. CCTV cameras proved to be a useful tool during the July 2005 London and more recent Mumbai terrorist attacks investigations. While Lagos has not been under any form of terrorist threat, CCTV cameras will not doubt prove useful in tracking down criminal elements within our society. Having said all that, this project might end up to be a waste of time and hard earned resources considering the current state of the Nigeria Police Force.

What is point of having a multi-million naira ‘state-of-the-art’ crime monitoring systems but an inept and dysfunctional law enforcement agency? Unfortunately, the Nigeria Police Force has suffered years of neglect and currently lacks the skills and expertise to combat modern day crime. I don’t even think the organisation has a Forensic department. In modern day crime investigation, the matching of DNA has provided clues to solving complex crime. How many forensic science experts do we have in the NPF? More so, it has become quite embarrassing in recent times when crime investigators have had to be flown in from overseas to help the Nigerian police. The unsolved murder investigations of the Late Chief Bola Ige and Funsho Williams are typical examples. A network of CCTV cameras is only one part of the equation in modern day criminal investigation. While it might give you a lead, you still need an efficient and capable police organisation to undertake further investigation.

I appreciate the fact that the state of the Nigerian Police is not the fault of the Governor and that he has no control on the structure of the Police Force, what it does or how it functions. Therefore without such control, the Governor faces a huge challenge in galvanising all the law enforcement agencies together – which is the only the proposed security monitoring and control centre can function effectively. This leads to the second issue about the current structure of the NPF itself.

I fully support those who have been clamouring for the creation of State Police in the spirit of true Federalism, and not for self interest. In parts of the world where true Federalism is actually been practised, the States are total in control of their ‘destiny’. Each state of the federation is allowed to have its own Police Force. A Federal Police is however responsible for serious crime such as drug trafficking, fraud, terrorism and so on. Until such framework is put in place and enshrined in our constitution, projects such as this will either not see the light of the day or stand the test of time. It will either be jettisoned by lack of support from the Federal Government or not be effective.

It might be worthwhile for our legislators to use the proposed review of nation’s constitution as an opportunity to clamour for true Federalism, instead than jostling for state creation – which to me in reality means additional bite of the ‘national cake’. There is no sense having a Governor as the ‘Chief Security Officer’ of his state but the State Police Commissioner takes orders from the Inspector-General, who reports directly to the President. We have seen cases in the last political dispensation were the Police have been used to intimidate State Governors, when they ran into problems with their Godfathers in Aso Rock under the guise of ‘anti-corruption’ crusade.

It might better if the money raised from the private sector for this project is used towards creation of a traffic control centre, which can then gradually be transformed into a joint traffic and security control centre. As both require similar technology, I believe this will serve more useful purpose in the interim until the NPF sorts out its acts.

www...com
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by Horus(m): 11:48am On Apr 07, 2009

Surveillance camera

[size=15pt]
Lagos Safe City Project - 10,000 Surveillance Cameras to be Installed
[/size]

Lagos, the largest megacity in Sub-Saharan Africa, plans to install 10,000 solar-powered closed circuit cameras all over the metropolis, under the Lagos Safe City Project.Speaking at a demonstration event, the Lagos State Governor revealed that “18 million people can not be protected and policed by 33,000 people.” “This is impossible, he said, “and no matter how high we try to increase the number of officers, it is evident we can not continue to do the same things and expect different results. The governor continued: "In an information technology driven world we have to be counted as one of those states and communities who will adopt best practices, cameras, sensors, tracking devices are the nerve center of these facilities that would assist men and officers of the police force, fire service among others to do their duty much more effectively."Lagos, the financial hub of Nigeria has one of the highest crime rates in the world, lacks a reliable emergency response services and efficient crime control system. The Lagos Safe City Project funded by the private-public sector generated Lagos Security Trust Fund  hopes to address some these problems, via a Central Security Command Unit, where the cameras will be managed remotely (wireless connection), and used to coordinate security, emergency responses, and traffic needs of the state."This is only one step in the whole platform", according to the governor. He stated "Lagosians must recall that the platform started with the signing and naming of streets, providing directional signs for responders to get to crisis center on time with the deployment of the emergency number, "767" which is toll free. With this initiative, we are determined to make a difference." The Governor disclosed that the Central Security Command Unit would be equipped with men from the various security outfits, including the Nigeria Police, the military, Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, the ambulance and fire services, adding that each of these men will not only be able to receive distress calls but will also be able to dispatch commands to their men in the field for necessary follow-ups.

Source: http://www.africanloft.com/lagos-safe-city-project-10000-surveillance-cameras-to-be-installed/
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by jason123: 12:02am On Feb 10, 2011
Lagosian, has this improved your security?
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by jason123: 12:09am On Feb 10, 2011
Fashola for president after 2015! grin lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:57pm On Feb 15, 2011
Just asking though. a friend was robbed right in front of a CCTV Camera just next to Government House at 10-10:30PM yesterday grin

I ask you, of what use is a crime-fighting tool when there is no one to use it properly to fight crime angry

How many crimes are reported in Lagos, Where are the Hot-Zones, Where have crime-rates reduced, when are the best times to move around and how should I report a crime, Where is the closest Police Station, Where do Patrol Vans Patrol, How is are CCTV data evaluated, why was there no one coming to the rescue? any attempt to point out that there is someone watching will only risk you losing your life
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by DisGuy: 4:49pm On Feb 15, 2011
are you sure the person controlling the camera didnt direct the robber to your friend

If your friend is reporting the robbery he can/should mention the presence of the CCTV so maybe they can follow it up and get something quicker- just hope its working
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by Nobody: 5:57pm On Feb 15, 2011
How many crimes are reported in Lagos, Where are the Hot-Zones

you want a hot zone

apapa oshodi expressway, (the apapa tincan island axis) in a go slow. five little bastids( i doubt any of them was over 20 ) broke the front windows of my car last week thursday while shouting where is the money where is the laptop

str8up case for carrying arms
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:20pm On Feb 15, 2011
Dis Guy:

are you sure the person controlling the camera didnt direct the robber to your friend

If your friend is reporting the robbery he can/should mention the presence of the CCTV so maybe they can follow it up and get something quicker- just hope its working

Which Police, where!? His car died on him just above the bridge going to CMS from NETCO building. He had his harzard lights on and called some of his friends to stop by if they were headed that way. We all told him to be careful that Area boys lurk in that zone and he said he is in view of a CCTV camera, there is no way anyone will attempt anything near a military zone! he was dead wrong. Not only was he robbed, he was slapped about while cars zoomed passed as if nothing was happening. Why is Lagos this way, WHY?!! angry
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by oderemo(m): 6:48pm On Feb 15, 2011
y this is laudable and commendable for fashola and his acn govt. i always wonder the importance of CCTV and the cost effectiveness of running the device.
how many crime will CCTV solve ? none without proper translation/implementation of the data.
the question is do we trust the govt to use these divices for our protection or against us.
against us by using these devices to extract more taxes from us.
watch it, b4 we know it , it will become another IGR for govt.
wandsworth borough in the u.k alone has close to over 10,000 CCTV , an area not bigger than egbeda.
has it stopped crime in that area,? no
but has been used by same borough to raise revenue.
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by PeeDaVinci: 6:49pm On Feb 15, 2011
[size=14pt]We need people with great vision like fashola to be running the affairs of this country [/size]
Re: Lagos Launches 10,000 Cctv Cameras by violent(m): 6:54pm On Feb 15, 2011
CCTVs are not necessarily installed to stop crimes from taking place, rather, they are installed to provide a clearer picture in an event when evidence/clues are paramount.

The country has been witnessing terror motivated events in the past months, it is only pre-emptive to install an "eye" which can tell things as it is, without necessarily having to go through embarrassment of the blame game saga witnessed in Abuja a couple of months ago.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria To Import Fuel From Niger Republic / Why Did Electricity Bill Increase By 100% - 300% Kaduna / Ipob Threatens To Be An Armed Group From Tomorrow If...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.