Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,807 members, 7,802,584 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:46 PM

Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering (36807 Views)

How Lucrative Is Bsc Building Compare To Bsc Architecture / Facebook: Nasarawa Civil-Service Sacks Ruquayyat-Usman (pics) / FG Sacks Top Civil Servants Over Employment Racketeering — Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Demmzy15(m): 3:15pm On Sep 08, 2015
ba7man:
A civil engineer must follow an architect's design, not the other way round.

His job is to ensure an architect's design stands no matter how ridiculous it is, he consults the architect, the architect consults his creative mind. He make suggestions, the architect can insist.

The architect is the creative brain behind the project, a civil engineers creativity can't exceed an architect's in a project.

An architect has a say in every aspect of construction down to finishing and choice of landscaping. Thus its more flexible and has a wider scope.

Even if it were tiles or doors you were buying, who would you prefer to give the contract to? A civil engineer or an architect?

Civil Engineer! tongue
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Lero15(m): 3:18pm On Sep 08, 2015
Maccoy1:
can I combine the two nd still get jobs as an architect nd be involved in the field work cos that is my passion

Field work as a civil engineer. Yes.
We have consultant engineers and engineering contractors. The former is more of structural analysis and design and the latter is more of construction and predominantly site work. The engineer actuallises the architect's dream.

However, if you would like to be a field engineer in other fields asides construction, civil engineering is the answer. It's very broad.

Regards.
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Xtopher123(m): 3:23pm On Sep 08, 2015
As a student of Architecture, I've come to understand that Architecture is not just a course, it's an in born passion, it's not just enough to sit and criticise any course

Both are interesting, follow your passion,

If you have a creative Mind and love field work - Architecture
If you love field work alone - Civil Engineering

For those saying architects are just drafters, u need to either be with an Architect to understand what Architecture really is, we ain't just draugtmen, we are way more than that, we are demi gods living on earth, and that's what differentiate us from road side draughtmen

Civil engineers are also important in an Architect's live because they work hand in hand,

But to be frank, Every Architect is the sole principal of any project, right from the concept development down to the design and also until the project is completed and also during maintenance and curing

So Op do whatever you love, don't be deceived

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Guyman02: 3:28pm On Sep 08, 2015
Go for Architecture and back it up with a Masters degree in Urban and Regional Planning if you are good with Mathematics, Physics and love fine arts

2 Likes

Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Nobody: 3:32pm On Sep 08, 2015
ba7man:
The world has architects famous for their works e.g. Zaha Hadid, .......... no one mentions the structural/ civil engineering.

Not saying they're not important but an architect will always define their scope of work.

No matter whatever calculations they do, the end result is to actualize the architects vision.
if I start listing names of great famous civil engr, nairalands servers winter contain them.lol
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by ademoladeji(m): 3:39pm On Sep 08, 2015
Demmzy15:

Civil Engineer! tongue

Lmao...

Civil Engineering be BABA...

Architects breed problems, we Civil Engineers solve them...

Architects want Buruj Khalifah, Civil Engineers provided the World's tallest 7-star HOTEL.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by luckypeace1980: 3:43pm On Sep 08, 2015
Finally with the income aspect of it in nigeria which is more likely to end more or has more job opportunities MY BRODER!!! i am an architect i will advice you to go for your mind but i prefer you go for civil engeneering because is not one sided course this is what i advised my youngest broder , whom i trained in my office to go and study civil engeneering as recent design softwares has made architecture works so simple in that any tallented individual can use those software and take architects job but it is not so easy to civil engeneers .

1 Like

Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by naijainfogalery: 3:50pm On Sep 08, 2015
Dont get my wrong most of the time architects stays in the office, if they dont, how do they have time to draw, i know they dont spend their whole life at the office but they dont get their hands dirty like the civil enginerrs
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

So architects stay in the office? Come in guys! Who is the consultant architect then?
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by willian10: 4:07pm On Sep 08, 2015
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by WailingWailer00(m): 4:13pm On Sep 08, 2015
jaybee3:

Only an untrained kid that lacks morals goes around on a public forum abusing other people's parents

anyhoo... I forgive you so what course did you study ?

Lemme see if i can find employ you
I don't remember telling you that I'm jobless bro, you guys in the UK think everyone in Nairaland is jobless, that's pretty lame, I'm a pilot with Arik air, I read geography and went to flying school Zaria, I have over 500hours flying time bro, sorry for my previous post but it's so annoying when someone asks a guy who finished secondary school for over 10yrs if he's still in secondary school
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Splendidee(m): 4:14pm On Sep 08, 2015
hmm bros u can lie oh.....hoha
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Demmzy15(m): 4:34pm On Sep 08, 2015
ademoladeji:

Lmao...

Civil Engineering be BABA...

Architects breed problems, we Civil Engineers solve them...

Architects want Buruj Khalifah, Civil Engineers provided the World's tallest 7-star HOTEL.
I'm studying Mechanical Engineering tongue
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by jaybee3(m): 4:39pm On Sep 08, 2015
WailingWailer00:

I don't remember telling you that I'm jobless bro, you guys in the UK think everyone in Nairaland is jobless, that's pretty lame, I'm a pilot with Arik air, I read geography and went to flying school Zaria, I have over 500hours flying time bro, sorry for my previous post but it's so annoying when someone asks a guy who finished secondary school for over 10yrs if he's still in secondary school

Apology accepted bro.

My post was meant to be a lil banter but i guess it got misconstrued.

Anyhoo, the reason for the dig was because of your minimalistic description of the two courses as i felt you should have known it covers more depth than your submission

My apologies for the dig
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by feran15(m): 4:41pm On Sep 08, 2015
Maccoy1:
Am really confuse, all my life have never considered any other profession other than anything engineering because I love developing things from the scratch I.e I like to construct things like cars,planes, houses with waste materials, But with recent development, I discovered that I have a calling in architecture. but then I also discover that architects only design and go home but civil engineers are involved in every bit of the construction, and that is what I love doing; getting involved in every bit of the job.

Finally with the income aspect of it in nigeria which is more likely to end more or has more job opportunities.

go for building. its kind of a mid point between the two. builders are also involved in every part of construction although the designing part is not our job. but it seems ur already inclined to civil engineering tho
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Heymus(m): 4:42pm On Sep 08, 2015
Abimloaded:
[b]Architecture! Architecture!! Architecture!!!

WHY ? Architecture is the best professional course you can ever study. Architects are the Second God because we create what we conceive !

WHICH COURSE IS LIKE UNTO THEE,
ARCHITECTURE? In school they see us
as the most hard working, simply because
ARCHITECTURE keeps us up most
nights. After school, while graduates of other professions
chase
after job vacancies, we tell Job Vacancies how much we
wish to be paid
if they want us to work for them, just because we are
ARCHITECTS. 1st
class? 2nd class? They are all brilliant. But an
ARCHITECT with a Pass
degree will keep you & your wife as staff in his office,
and on salary
- just because he is an ARCHITECTS. Even if we wish
not to work with
anybody, the jobs come right down to our door steps,
just because we
are ARCHITECTS. And while sitting at home, we make
an average of
100,000naira monthly because we are ARCHITECTS,
you think that's
simple? Then resign from your job and try sitting at
home for 4 days
if you ain't one; call me on phone when you've got
airtime. We can
even make an average of 30-40,000naira every 6days
by simply teaching
people softwares we know in ARCHITECTURE or being
involved in
architectural visualization, just because we are
ARCHITECTS. And for
simply scrambling a collection of lines on paper (which
70% of the
world's professors cannot interpret/read), we get paid;
just because
we are ARCHITECTS. We determine if your hometown/
village will find
development, just because we are ARCHITECTS. Those
skyscrapers and
famous buildings you have promised yourself to visit
before you die,
we built them, because we are ARCHITECTS. For
showing you what your
dream house will look like, we get paid even if you
eventually don't
afford to build it, simply because we are ARCHITECTS.
We do not need
CNN and the NTA Network News to tell people what we
do, every single
house we've designed does all the talking, because we are
ARCHITECTS.
The only profession where you work less (literally,
because you
dictate when to work) but earn more -
ARCHITECTURE. The only
profession that allows you to begin your day by 11am
every single day
but earn more than those who work 29hours (+5 ghost
hours) a day.

#TeamArchitecture
#TeamCreativity[/b]
fellow Architect!, you need not all these points. Never stress yourself, all the interviews i have gone for, i do tell them the amount i want to be collecting. Before graduating i have designed several buildings in which i built four myself. After my Nysc my neigbours used to beef me because i will locked myself inside my appartment from morning to night with generator on. Thinking i was into yahoo yahoo. Enough said though, but back to the op, @your orientation that Architect design and go, its a CAPITAL NO!, except a learner Architect. Infact people believe Architects know better on the construction because they are the initiators and understand how design will work on ground. My advice for you is that do not study Architecture or civil eng. Because of the money involve, PLS AND PLS, IF YOU ARE NOT CREATIVE ENOUGH OR HARDWORKING do not go for Architecture. Lot of my friends left Architecture for another courses before graduating because they couldnt cope. Even the lazy ones that managed to graduated can not practice the profession. "Architecture demands your whole" i could remember i developed stomarch ulcer while in school because studio from morning to night. No time. Dont get it twisted op civil engineering is a great course too, two of my cousins and my immediate brother are civil engr. And they are doing pretty well.

4 Likes

Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by WailingWailer00(m): 4:46pm On Sep 08, 2015
jaybee3:

Apology accepted bro.

My post was meant to be a lil banter but i guess it got misconstrued.

Anyhoo, the reason for the dig was because of your minimalistic description of the two courses as i felt you should have known it covers more depth than your submission

My apologies for the dig
Apology accepted bro
I just put it in the simplest way possible for the OP since he's seeking advice on which way to go,
We all disagree to agree wink
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Mznaett: 4:49pm On Sep 08, 2015
I'd love to welcome you into the precious and creative world of Civil Engineeringgrin
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by layorhaja: 4:50pm On Sep 08, 2015
Bro, from experience as an architect for close to a decade, i will advise you to find both an architectural firm and a Civil engineering company that will allow you to spend a week with them. I believe this will give you the opportunity to watch and learn. Architecture is a very profitable profession but you must be passionate about it to succeed. Architects are very private people so you may not know their financial weight. I have seen very successful Engineers and Architect in this country. To the engineers that claim they do designs i believe it is just basic residential design you do, i don't think anybody will give a 5 star hotel to an engineer to design. Nobody (Town Planning) in this country will approve the drawing for a major project for construction without an architect's seal first then the engineer's stamp .If your passion is creating things and watch it come to life then architecture 'MAY' be the way. PLEASE DO NOT STUDY ARCHITECTURE BECAUSE OF THE MONEY, THE MONEY WILL COME BUT PASSION AND PATIENCE IS KEY and VERY IMPORTANT. All the best

3 Likes

Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by jaybee3(m): 4:51pm On Sep 08, 2015
WailingWailer00:

Apology accepted bro
I just put it in the simplest way possible for the OP since he's seeking advice on which way to go,
We all disagree to agree wink

Stay blessed

1 Like

Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by OlaSpeaker(m): 5:42pm On Sep 08, 2015
Abimloaded:
[b]Architecture! Architecture!! Architecture!!!

WHY ? Architecture is the best professional course you can ever study. Architects are the Second God because we create what we conceive !

WHICH COURSE IS LIKE UNTO THEE,
ARCHITECTURE? In school they see us
as the most hard working, simply because
ARCHITECTURE keeps us up most
nights. After school, while graduates of other professions
chase
after job vacancies, we tell Job Vacancies how much we
wish to be paid
if they want us to work for them, just because we are
ARCHITECTS. 1st
class? 2nd class? They are all brilliant. But an
ARCHITECT with a Pass
degree will keep you & your wife as staff in his office,
and on salary
- just because he is an ARCHITECTS. Even if we wish
not to work with
anybody, the jobs come right down to our door steps,
just because we
are ARCHITECTS. And while sitting at home, we make
an average of
100,000naira monthly because we are ARCHITECTS,
you think that's
simple? Then resign from your job and try sitting at
home for 4 days
if you ain't one; call me on phone when you've got
airtime. We can
even make an average of 30-40,000naira every 6days
by simply teaching
people softwares we know in ARCHITECTURE or being
involved in
architectural visualization, just because we are
ARCHITECTS. And for
simply scrambling a collection of lines on paper (which
70% of the
world's professors cannot interpret/read), we get paid;
just because
we are ARCHITECTS. We determine if your hometown/
village will find
development, just because we are ARCHITECTS. Those
skyscrapers and
famous buildings you have promised yourself to visit
before you die,
we built them, because we are ARCHITECTS. For
showing you what your
dream house will look like, we get paid even if you
eventually don't
afford to build it, simply because we are ARCHITECTS.
We do not need
CNN and the NTA Network News to tell people what we
do, every single
house we've designed does all the talking, because we are
ARCHITECTS.
The only profession where you work less (literally,
because you
dictate when to work) but earn more -
ARCHITECTURE. The only
profession that allows you to begin your day by 11am
every single day
but earn more than those who work 29hours (+5 ghost
hours) a day.

#TeamArchitecture
#TeamCreativity[/b]
I am proud to be an ARCHITECT

2 Likes

Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by BankManager(m): 5:46pm On Sep 08, 2015
Civil Enginerring over Architecture for me..
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by zivility: 5:52pm On Sep 08, 2015
Civil engineering - am in the construction field and I tell u architecture is a dreamers job. They are d least useful as one design work by a single architect needs numerous professionals in execution without the need of d architect again. In addition engineering is more versatile and more flexible. To shift to any other field is easier
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Abimloaded(m): 6:00pm On Sep 08, 2015
Heymus:
fellow Architect!, you need not all these points. Never stress yourself, all the interviews i have gone for, i do tell them the amount i want to be collecting. Before graduating i have designed several buildings in which i built four myself. After my Nysc my neigbours used to beef me because i will locked myself inside my appartment from morning to night with generator on. Thinking i was into yahoo yahoo. Enough said though, but back to the op, @your orientation that Architect design and go, its a CAPITAL NO!, except a learner Architect. Infact people believe Architects know better on the construction because they are the initiators and understand how design will work on ground. My advice for you is that do not study Architecture or civil eng. Because of the money involve, PLS AND PLS, IF YOU ARE NOT CREATIVE ENOUGH OR HARDWORKING do not go for Architecture. Lot of my friends left Architecture for another courses before graduating because they couldnt cope. Even the lazy ones that managed to graduated can not practice the profession. "Architecture demands your whole" i could remember i developed stomarch ulcer while in school because studio from morning to night. No time. Dont get it twisted op civil engineering is a great course too, two of my cousins and my immediate brother are civil engr. And they are doing pretty well.

WORD!!!

2 Likes

Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by ochris03: 6:14pm On Sep 08, 2015
Bros civil is far more better than archit. u can make one mill a week is u r the site engineer, all the materials are bought by u, sand n tipper dealers worship u, while some go as far as seducing u to buy wit dem. But if u want to be a billionaire u must be humble and learn everything from ur employer within 3-5yrs den go do MPM and bcome a project manger. As a project manager u control archit,QS,structural,mechnical, electrical,surveyors, and d rest. Go to any big govt site and look at deir post board u will see d project managers cums first and u can be handling like 3-5 at once and u knw wat dat means while archit can get 5 jobs but takes months to deliver all and some jus use old drawings and edit lol.Google more about wat i just said.Project managers/Civil Engrs is the best in any Construction.
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Xtopher123(m): 6:42pm On Sep 08, 2015
zivility:
Civil engineering - am in the construction field and I tell u architecture is a dreamers job. They are d least useful as one design work by a single architect needs numerous professionals in execution without the need of d architect again. In addition engineering is more versatile and more flexible. To shift to any other field is easier

All lies, I've handled design projects even civil/structural engineers could not interpret not handle, they needed me to come on site to show them how they could tackle the issue

It's my own style, in every design I do I put a complication so engineers would not meddle with my design

All projects need and architect from the scratch to finish, if u 're not into the field please dot mislead anyone, engineers only come when needed, from structural to mechanical down to electrical the architect would still supervise all of them, he is the chief principal cause only him can interpret his design to all other professionals coming in
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by asamaigho(m): 6:52pm On Sep 08, 2015
ba7man:
A civil engineer must follow an architect's design, not the other way round.

His job is to ensure an architect's design stands no matter how ridiculous it is, he consults the architect, the architect consults his creative mind. He make suggestions, the architect can insist.

The architect is the creative brain behind the project, a civil engineers creativity can't exceed an architect's in a project.

An architect has a say in every aspect of construction down to finishing and choice of landscaping. Thus its more flexible and has a wider scope.

Even if it were tiles or doors you were buying, who would you prefer to give the contract to? A civil engineer or an architect?

lemme tell u,d civil engineer can change the architects drawing if such drawings are structurally unattainable,...stop saying what u dont know.

for d op, civil engineering is far more than building houses as this is the least part of civil engineering.

architecture basically is more of an artistic course,while civil engineering has to do more with structural analysis,design and construction of anything ranging from buildings,roads,bridges,dams,stadia,mast,cofferdams to aircrafts and ships.
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by asamaigho(m): 6:56pm On Sep 08, 2015
arcnomec:
I'm a graduate of Architecture..........I design and I build(construct )..we don't just design and go home as you rightly pointed out,we design and build ........Architects do it in style

what do u mean by design?....just hoping u mean u guys (draw),cos design has to do wit the structural eng,it his design u build with.
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Xtopher123(m): 7:00pm On Sep 08, 2015
asamaigho:

lemme tell u,d civil engineer can change the architects drawing if such drawings are structurally unattainable,...stop saying what u dont know.

for d op, civil engineering is far more than building houses as this is the least part of civil engineering.

architecture basically is more of an artistic course,while civil engineering has to do more with structural analysis,design and construction of anything ranging from buildings,roads,bridges,dams,stadia,mast,cofferdams to aircrafts and ships.

Ure completely refereeing to an Architect that can't stand for his designs,

Everything is buildable in architecture, if a civil engineer can't handle a project or alter a project because he feels it's not gonna stand then he's not worthy to be employed to work with an Architect
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by Xtopher123(m): 7:03pm On Sep 08, 2015
asamaigho:

what do u mean by design?....just hoping u mean u guys (draw),cos design has to do wit the structural eng,it his design u build with.

U don't understand the terms in construction field that's why u can ascertain what he meant,

Arhitects design and build, they're involved in every design process,

Cars, buildings, bridges, phones , oil rigs, name it even shoes too yes they are involved
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by calcal: 7:09pm On Sep 08, 2015
Consider your old age, that architect will be better, you design in the office other do the job you are still owner of the projects. without design no construction. use your brain and not physical power.
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by DedeNkem: 7:24pm On Sep 08, 2015
Both are great. Do both if you can.
Re: Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering by asamaigho(m): 7:25pm On Sep 08, 2015
Xtopher123:

U don't understand the terms in construction field that's why u can ascertain what he meant,

Arhitects design and build, they're involved in every design process,

Cars, buildings, bridges, phones , oil rigs, name it even shoes too yes they are involved

u are very far from knowledge of civil engineering,wen it come to bridges and dams,oil rigs and roads.....architects are virtually not on d list .
besides a civil engineer makes an architect look like a learner,there is virtually nothing in architecture dat is new to a civil engineer.......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

21 Ways Rich People Think Differently From Ordinary People / 20 Ways To Improve The Quality Of Your Life / Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.