Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,600 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job (25691 Views)

11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business / Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? / Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by tochigold(f): 12:56pm On Sep 08, 2015
We have this misconception that once we land a job, all the hard work ends, thanks to the endless time it takes to actually get a job in today’s competitive job market. But, honestly, the hard work never really ends especially when we’re faced with the dilemma of figuring out if we still like our jobs. If you are like me, you’ll feel guilty just at the thought of quitting your current position for another one, but sometimes it just can’t be helped, despite all our perfect plans and dreams. Your health and life can actually be affected in more ways than you can imagine if you remain in a position that is making you very unhappy.

Here are some signs that would help you determine if your head is no longer in your job, if you recognize any of the signs, it might be time for you to hand in your two-week notice.

1. You Don’t Look Forward to Work Anymore

I’ll like to start by saying that we all have our off days and hey, that only makes us human; those days when we would prefer to at stay home curled up on the bed and go on a Series marathon rather than head to the office. But if you wake up every single morning wanting to cry, scream and pull out your hair at the thought of going to work, let be the first to tell you, you might be falling out of love with your current position and that simply means you need to quit. Life is too short to keep living a life of denial.

I mean, it’s time we came to the realization that we need to do meaningful work that satisfies us and that we look forward to because if we don’t, then what’s the point? We’ve got only one life to live and we should never spend even a day doing something we hate doing. Of course, there are days when we will hate some aspects of our jobs or even feel like stabbing that annoying boss. We really can’t love every single part of our jobs, trust me, there are always parts of a job that you won’t love, whether it’s organizing your thoughts and putting them in a spreadsheet form when you are a messy person or attending meetings when you’re a complete introvert. But completely hating your job is a no no. Do yourself a favor, make yourself happy and look for another position that you will love more.

2. Every Single Day stresses You Out

I can boldly say that work-related stress is today, the most common type of stress that there is. We hear daily news about people expiring as a result of heart attacks due to incredibly stressful jobs. Of course it is totally expected to we can to experience stress from time to time. Sometimes we make an innocent mistake like forgetting to do something and we end up scrambling to save a project, or we have one of those days when every little thing just goes incredibly wrong. But when you begin to feel like you’re in a constant state of stress every single day of the week, you tried every all the stress killers to no avail, then, it’s detrimental to your health, both in the long and short-term.

When we are tensed and under stress, we tackle challenges with a fight or flight approach and we experience this with anything from a beating heart, to having trouble breathing. Therefore, being in a state of stress regularly is incredibly dangerous for us. Even if you may never have a heart attack, you will still be unhealthy. Stress also leads to mental conditions such as depression and you might also notice yourself getting way too many colds. That’s because your immune system is affected too due to stress, which in turn, leads to frequent illnesses.

3. You Can Never Sleep

Insomnia is a sign of stress. You begin finding it difficult to fall asleep and it is becoming a regular occurrence, then you need to think about whether it’s your job that is causing this. It is very wrong to spend the entire night tossing and turning, unable to stop worrying about work. No job I repeat, no job is worth sacrificing your health, which includes getting enough rest every night. Without adequate sleep you won’t be able to think properly not to talk of concentrating, this will in turn, affect your job performance in negative ways.

The sad thing about insomnia is that it is a vicious cycle. You will start worrying over the fact that you can’t sleep, which will make it even harder for you to let go and slip into slumber, which will only make the same thing happen all over again the next night and the next. Even if you haven’t realized that job stress is getting to you, you’ll definitely notice when you are not getting enough sleep. Now if it is an isolated incident, then it’s okay to have a period of a month or so when we are focusing on something big at work and find ourselves less rested than usual, and it goes back to normal, then don’t worry about it. But if it’s happening all the time, it’s a surefire sign that your job has to go.

4. Calling in Sick When You’re Really Not

Do you have the slightest idea how many employees stay home from work every single day under the guise of sickness? According to the American Institute of Stress, a whooping figure of 1 million people call in sick or stressed on a daily basis. Surprised right? That’s a lot of stressed-out people if you ask me.

If you find yourself in that place where you are so unhappy at the thought of going to work that you start saying you’ve come down with a bug or something and start staying home a lot, you need to give your notice. Personally, I think psychologically draining to pretend to be sick in bed when you just can’t bring yourself to go to the office today. For someone like me, I will just spend the entire day feeling guilty for staying home, worrying about all the work that I am not getting done, and absolutely dreading having to go back the next day.

And in all fairness, no company benefits from an employee that hates their job so much they fake being sick. You will be much less productive if you tow this line, and the productivity of the entire office would gradually begin to suffer because you’re not there when people need you. Your boss and even co-workers will start to notice and catch on. So you might as well be honest with yourself: isn’t it time to leave?

5. You Can’t Stop Thinking About Quitting

Now this is a crucial part of the equation. Happy and satisfied employees hardly ever think about quitting their jobs. Okay, not so true, they probably do think about it after an irritating talk with their boss, but they’re not serious about it. If the thought of leaving crosses your mind whenever you think about work, it’s a sign that you should just do it already. You will only become unhappier if you know you want to leave but stay instead.

It’s totally normal if you hate your job sometimes (I do too, especially when I think of the traffic I face every day) or don’t feel like going to the office every once in a while. But it’s wrong and not normal if you completely dislike your position, fake sickness, and actually get sick and tired all the time.

Be honest with yourself and if you recognize any of these signs, I think you know when to quit your job, so don’t hesitate. Do the right thing for your career and your health and find another job that will keep you happy and healthy.

Do you recognize any of these signs? Do you think that it is time to quit your job? Do you want to nail that dream job? Or are you looking for a change in career?

https://blog.ngcareers.com/4951/when-is-it-the-right-time-to-quit-your-job/

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by ATMC(f): 12:58pm On Sep 08, 2015
I've been there #incelinedion'svoice

5 Likes

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by dOnLarich: 1:00pm On Sep 08, 2015
Lala come see material..
Hello bae notify me your place of preference let me ridicule you with a merciless display of affection this ileya , special preservation for 2, best restaurant in town , champagne, rose petal . Bae please get back to me before everywhere is booked-up.. grin

5 Likes

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by MikelEleta(m): 1:08pm On Sep 08, 2015
Nice article. Dts why I still prefer running ur bizness ursef. Dt way yu ve tym for ursef. Mst jobs dx days stress yu out nd d money isn't commensurate wid ur earning. If ur staying in lagos wid d stress of Trafic wow dts double wahala

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Nobody: 1:10pm On Sep 08, 2015
Before u quit your job make sure you have something you can fall back on.
I'm glad to be an entrepreneur, though the beginning wasnt smooth.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by whirlwind7(m): 1:16pm On Sep 08, 2015
castroevans:

No beginning is ever smooth, bro.
It's timidity and fear of the unknown that would keep anyone in a job that is gradually sending him to an early grave.
Nobody makes it by not taking a certain amount of risk. I would rather strike out on a wild venture, than keep struggling in a job that wears me out.
What do you think is the reason why in many industrialized countries, most suicides happen on Monday mornings?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by galenuzoma: 3:43pm On Sep 08, 2015
grin

1 Like

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Bangx(m): 3:43pm On Sep 08, 2015
Tea or coffee
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Nobody: 3:44pm On Sep 08, 2015
hmmnnn, are these the signs ishilove saw that made her resign?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Demex40(m): 3:44pm On Sep 08, 2015
Entrepreneurship rocks, it makes someone control his time......
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by loashi(m): 3:44pm On Sep 08, 2015
B4 even tinkng abt quiting,dia mxt b a well laid plan,cos luking @ our economy now,people wey fit replace u plenty

2 Likes

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by veekid(m): 3:45pm On Sep 08, 2015
true talk
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Harmvirus(f): 3:45pm On Sep 08, 2015
Ok. Lemme get the job first

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Segadem(m): 3:45pm On Sep 08, 2015
6: when u get a better one

1 Like

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by edward1106(m): 3:45pm On Sep 08, 2015
hmm i pity some people cry
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by donholy28(m): 3:45pm On Sep 08, 2015
Harmvirus:
Ok. Lemme get the job first
make we dey wait buhari
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Akynzodeighbour(m): 3:46pm On Sep 08, 2015
Quit your job and stay jobless till Jesus comes
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Segadem(m): 3:46pm On Sep 08, 2015
castroevans:
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by naijainfogalery: 3:47pm On Sep 08, 2015
When you wake up in the morning and it feels like the end of the world,
when you hate your bosses
and when your colleagues are annoying

1 Like

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by kingobozy: 3:47pm On Sep 08, 2015
You quite when your superiors starts faulting every damn thing you do.

1 Like

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by sexymoma(f): 3:48pm On Sep 08, 2015
You always check the time every now and then grin

2 Likes

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Dindondin(m): 3:48pm On Sep 08, 2015
ok
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by kennyddonn(m): 3:48pm On Sep 08, 2015
yeye write up...

u must get a new one before quitting nah

ooooooooooh may be when u single, u neva marry...

abiii u wan suffer...

people with different tots...
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by donholy28(m): 3:50pm On Sep 08, 2015
When d best day if ur life is Friday and d worst is Monday
when u live with ur family yet u only see ur kids on Sunday

1 Like

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by cosmatika(m): 3:51pm On Sep 08, 2015
I can only quit a job if its nt bringing enough returns again. I wake up every morning wishing I can sleep all day, but Wen I rmb dat 25th is fast approaching, I enter d bathroom sharpally
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by rawpadgin(m): 3:51pm On Sep 08, 2015
angry
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Nobody: 3:52pm On Sep 08, 2015
I'm loving my job everyday
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Anoruo(m): 3:53pm On Sep 08, 2015
okay...when i start experiencing all that...i'll quit my job

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) / Fred Oyetayo's 24th Birthday Pictures CEO Of Fresible, Lawrepositoryng / Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.