Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,408 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

Nissan Primera P11-144 Pinging Sound With Power Loss - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nissan Primera P11-144 Pinging Sound With Power Loss (4276 Views)

Pinging Sound / Nissan Primera P11-144 Not Starting / Pinging Sound When Applying Pressure On Motion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nissan Primera P11-144 Pinging Sound With Power Loss by Nobody: 8:03am On Oct 12, 2015
pragmatistm:
Please as you are helping me to decode the error codes if there is any code related to the auto transmission you may ignore it. The transmission was replaced with another one which is not the CVT type that was there before. That left many connectors on the former transmission unused and that will bring many error codes that can't be resolved. We only need to concentrate on the present issue.
Thanks.

This could be part of your problem.

The engine control (ECU) needs to communicate with the transmission control (TCU) where the control units are separate. And if integrated in a single unit, internal interaction still needs to take place. The CVT and conventional automatic transmission are completely different.

Wires left dangling could be key communication lines, and they WILL throw codes, and cause poor running. Engine control will also reduce power output, and run in limp / safe mode.
Re: Nissan Primera P11-144 Pinging Sound With Power Loss by pragmatistm(m): 11:46am On Oct 12, 2015
Siena:

This could be part of your problem.

The engine control (ECU) needs to communicate with the transmission control (TCU) where the control units are separate. And if integrated in a single unit, internal interaction still needs to take place. The CVT and conventional automatic transmission are completely different.
Hmmm. What do you suggest that I should do now?
Wires left dangling could be key communication lines, and they WILL throw codes, and cause poor running. Engine control will also reduce power output, and run in limp / safe mode.

Hmmm. So what do you suggest I should do?
Re: Nissan Primera P11-144 Pinging Sound With Power Loss by Nobody: 6:00pm On Oct 15, 2015
pragmatistm:

Hmmm. So what do you suggest I should do?

I would start by getting the correct CVT tranny for your car.
Re: Nissan Primera P11-144 Pinging Sound With Power Loss by pragmatistm(m): 7:49pm On Oct 15, 2015
Double post.
Re: Nissan Primera P11-144 Pinging Sound With Power Loss by pragmatistm(m): 7:50pm On Oct 15, 2015
nissparts:
Erase the codes, drive a few miles and scan again
I erazed the codes and the check engine light went off. The light returned the following day. I did the scan again and 6 of the codesreturned. The only code that went missing is

P0180 Fuel temperature sensor A circuit

I guess the issue with the car can still be nailed if those codes related to the transmission are ignored.
Re: Nissan Primera P11-144 Pinging Sound With Power Loss by Nobody: 8:20pm On Oct 15, 2015
pragmatistm:
I guess the issue with the car can still be nailed if those coded related to the transmission are ignored.

I repeat...the issues you're having with drivability and recurring DTC's can NOT be separated from the missing CVT TCU and communication BUS.
Re: Nissan Primera P11-144 Pinging Sound With Power Loss by pragmatistm(m): 9:07pm On Oct 15, 2015
Siena:

I would start by getting the correct CVT tranny for your car.
Thanks. Still open to further suggestions.
Re: Nissan Primera P11-144 Pinging Sound With Power Loss by nissparts(m): 9:53pm On Oct 15, 2015
For one, engine pinging in nissan engines is fairly common in these parts due to fuel quality. The nissan engines are generally less tolerant thus in some of those cases only management is possible and not complete elimination.
The fact that you have fitted a different transmission though will throw a spanner into any credible diagnosis.
You may just have to live with this.
Re: Nissan Primera P11-144 Pinging Sound With Power Loss by Nobody: 12:03am On Oct 16, 2015
nissparts:
The fact that you have fitted a different transmission though will throw a spanner into any credible diagnosis.
...Truth be told.
Re: Nissan Primera P11-144 Pinging Sound With Power Loss by pragmatistm(m): 3:28am On Oct 16, 2015
Siena:

I repeat...the issues you're having with drivability and recurring DTC's can NOT be separated from the missing CVT TCU and communication BUS.
Noted.

nissparts:
For one, engine pinging in nissan engines is fairly common in these parts due to fuel quality. The nissan engines are generally less tolerant thus in some of those cases only management is possible and not complete elimination.
I also realized that. And that's why I wish I can pretend those transmission related codes are not there.

Costee:

...Truth be told.
Oga sir quite some time. I know this fact and sir you will remember that I said I didn't want to scan the car initially after we changed the transmission because of the possibility of the transmission codes that would be thrown up.

@all
Actually, I so much appreciate all your unselfish, free and invaluable suggestions here. In fact all of you that commented are to me the best ones as far as this forum is concerned.

The car presently drives fairly well but the pinging is only noticed occasionally. And of course, it was like that for quite sometime before it got worse. And I think the MAF replacement did the magic of returning the car back to shape.

The only issue that I seem to think more about is the irregular slow running of the engine that is usually accompanied with a change in its sound. I want to know if this is not a serious problem and if rooting for some of the codes can easily correct it.

I understand that returning the CVT TRANSMISSION will be the most proper step but I will rather sell the car than dabble into that and to sell it requires that it must be in a fairly good state to get a good deal on it. The car has gupled so much money that I can't go back to returning the CVT transmission again. But for now I want to continue managing it as it's my only car.
Re: Nissan Primera P11-144 Pinging Sound With Power Loss by pragmatistm(m): 5:03am On Oct 22, 2015
Update. I informed my second mechanic about the distributor setting as mentioned by @gazzuz. He looked at it and said its has been turned to the extreme and that the car must have been very lazy which I affirmed. He then asked me to start the car, loosen a bolt on the distributor and turned it away from the extreme gradually and GBAM! the slow running is ADJUSTED and became STABLE. The man said that the issue had been resolved.

Though still testing the car since yesterday but I haven't heard any slight pinging sound since then.
Re: Nissan Primera P11-144 Pinging Sound With Power Loss by pragmatistm(m): 12:24pm On Oct 28, 2015
Further updates. I drove the car on a hilly road today and the performance has drastically improved. No pinging and sluggishness at all. Also, since adjusting the distributor setting s, I have observed the fuel economy improved as well. I now tend to believe that the poor distributor setting was also affecting fuel consumption negatively. Thanks to Gazzuzz for his suggestion on adjusting the settings.
Re: Nissan Primera P11-144 Pinging Sound With Power Loss by austin4real(m): 12:42pm On Oct 29, 2015
pragmatistm:
Further updates. I drove the car on a hilly road today and the performance has drastically improved. No pinging and sluggishness at all. Also, since adjusting the distributor setting s, I have observed the fuel economy improved as well. I now tend to believe that the poor distributor setting was also affecting fuel consumption negatively. Thanks to Gazzuzz for his suggestion on adjusting the settings.
Mr Pragmatist, plz I was wondering if you know anyplace I could get a thermostat for my P11-144, the one that came with it got stuck, thus causing it to overheat so I had to remove and bypass the fan. Is there anyway I could get one in abeokuta..
Re: Nissan Primera P11-144 Pinging Sound With Power Loss by pragmatistm(m): 7:21pm On Oct 29, 2015
austin4real:

Mr Pragmatist, plz I was wondering if you know anyplace I could get a thermostat for my P11-144, the one that came with it got stuck, thus causing it to overheat so I had to remove and bypass the fan. Is there anyway I could get one in abeokuta..
Yes you can get it at Abeokuta. Just go to the spare part village after FMC and ask them. I'm sure you will get it there. I got a replacement for the broken engine oil gauge for my car there. It should be cheap too because many mechanic have removed it from many engine and "throw way". In fact I picked one from my mechanic workshop and tested it at home and it was OK. I just kept it at home.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Long To Clear A Car At The Port(Tincan) - Losing Trust For Agent / 8 Cars You Won't See Anywhere Else In The World Except In Dubai / ATTENTION! Beware Of Auction Frauds From The USA - My Personal Experience!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.