Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,047 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:47 PM

Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions (20712 Views)

FG Gazettes IPOB Ban, To Write Banks, Embassies, Foreign Missions / Nigeria Closes 5 Foreign Missions / FG Shuts Nine Foreign Missions, Rationalises Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 08, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari said Tuesday in Abuja that his administration would undertake a review of Nigerian foreign missions to determine those that are really essential.

Speaking after being briefed by the permanent secretary of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Bulus Lolo, President Buhari said a presidential committee would soon be established to carry out the review.

The president said the review would determine the number of essential missions Nigeria needs to maintain abroad so that appropriate standards and quality can be maintained.

Nigeria currently has 119 foreign missions abroad, the permanent secretary said.
The country will spend N34billion to run the missions in 2015.

The president said there was no point in Nigeria operating missions all over the world “with dilapidated facilities and demoralized staff”, when the need for some of the missions was questionable.

“Let’s keep only what we can manage. We can’t afford much for now. There’s no point in pretending,” President Buhari told Mr. Lolo and other officials of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The president also called for the record of former government officials and other persons still using diplomatic and official passports illegally, saying his administration will take necessary action against them.

“Something has to be done so that we can get back our respectability as a country. Some people carry official passports and get involved in all sorts of negative acts. We need to do something about it,” the president said.

Mr. Lolo told President Buhari that the challenges facing the Ministry of Foreign Affairs include the absence of a Foreign Service Commission, poor funding of foreign missions, policy inconsistencies and training deficiencies, among others.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/189667-breaking-buhari-moves-to-close-unessential-nigerian-foreign-missions.html

13 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 08, 2015
Good move.

But I hope he doesn't come back tomorrow to deny giving making such moves.
We have other pressing needs dan reminding an old man of what he said and did not say!

EDITOR-in-CHIEF!!

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by Segadem(m): 4:59pm On Sep 08, 2015
Good move
Baba is trying to reposition the country to its rightful position,though it will AFFECT some people but its EFFECT on the nation will be great.

29 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by Eneze1(f): 4:59pm On Sep 08, 2015
Good move, though there seems to be a down side to this review. There's practically no country in the world where we don't have Nigerians living and closing foreign missions in such country might be a little detrimental

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by Segadem(m): 5:00pm On Sep 08, 2015
Editor1:
OK na
Why now?
Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by stepo707: 5:01pm On Sep 08, 2015
very correct your excellency.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by themilanway(m): 5:01pm On Sep 08, 2015
As always,he has my support on this.

Good call.

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by saaedlee: 5:01pm On Sep 08, 2015
I so support this move

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by Firefire(m): 5:04pm On Sep 08, 2015
Good move... close everything...

The president said there was no point in Nigeria operating missions all over the world “with dilapidated facilities and demoralized staff”, when the need for some of the missions was questionable.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by kennyman2000(m): 5:05pm On Sep 08, 2015
Good...

Check my signature for ur customised wristband
Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by rattlesnake(m): 5:05pm On Sep 08, 2015
Close tinubu mouth first oga.....kai ebele was not thinking at allllllll

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by Feranmicharles(m): 5:05pm On Sep 08, 2015
I don't know what this is all about. Buh I know my presido will always take bold steps grin cheesy

Sai baba

10 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by raumdeuter: 5:05pm On Sep 08, 2015
No more wastage

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by Ephemmm: 5:06pm On Sep 08, 2015
Good.
Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by ImoBoi: 5:06pm On Sep 08, 2015
ok
Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by DonaldGenes(m): 5:06pm On Sep 08, 2015
Nice Øne and i ain't expecting PDP to protest this

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by MISSNORA(f): 5:07pm On Sep 08, 2015
I support anything he virtually does

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by Josele01(m): 5:07pm On Sep 08, 2015
MISSNORA:
I support anything he virtually does
Makes two of us. cool

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by OduntanGabriel(m): 5:07pm On Sep 08, 2015
See Types Of People We Missed On Nairaland.... www.nairaland.com/2583818/types-people-missed-nairaland
Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by modath(f): 5:07pm On Sep 08, 2015
Why on earth do we have a mission in Benin Republic..

BENIN!!!!!! Reallyyyyyyyyyyy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by Nobody: 5:08pm On Sep 08, 2015
Its a welcom development nd a highly recommended move. Money must b saved in a time this.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by teadrake(m): 5:08pm On Sep 08, 2015
Nice one coming from the GCFR himself

1 Like

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by Nobody: 5:08pm On Sep 08, 2015
good...

1 Like

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by Nobody: 5:09pm On Sep 08, 2015
Sai Buhari

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by ttmacoy: 5:10pm On Sep 08, 2015
It might be better to have some foreign missions manage relations for two countries which are close by or maybe maintaining one mission in a country rather than having a presence in multiple cities.

I think it would be better to have fewer foreign missions which are effective and know what they are doing rather than having lots of offices all over with staff who are so rude, unprofessional and lazy.

Eneze1:
Good move, though there seems to be a down side to this review. There's practically no country in the world where we don't have Nigerians living and closing foreign missions in such country might be a little detrimental

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by eagleonearth(m): 5:10pm On Sep 08, 2015
This is what I tag "active and constructive approach to governance". Knowing holes to plug up, set-ups to scrap and those to encourage is what helps a nation and not window-dressing so the world will feel all is well with you when you're bleeding to death. One thing I love so much about military men is their abhorrence for pretence. Imagine funding useless missions when their is fire on the mountain down here in naija. Ride on PMB. Wailers are getting tired poco-a-poco. Even Omokri has subscribed to the change. More Tanoids on their way to surrender.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by philfrey08: 5:10pm On Sep 08, 2015
Which are essential, which are nonessential?
undecided
Foreign trips nko?
Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by joebeckz(m): 5:12pm On Sep 08, 2015
you dont get to see some opposition commenting on such topics, i wonder if they sleep when such post make fp but when its the other way round, you wqill see them in good number

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by OrIandoOwoh(m): 5:12pm On Sep 08, 2015
wrong move by baba this time around.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by freshness2020: 5:14pm On Sep 08, 2015
It starts with u sir
Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by demolinka(m): 5:15pm On Sep 08, 2015
Bold, well articulated, and conscious move by the President. Alright wailers; ur time starts now...

6 Likes

Re: Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions by Mooaloji(m): 5:17pm On Sep 08, 2015
Nice move mr presido, majority of Nigerian are solidly behind you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

INEC Can Not Conduct Kogi And Bayelsa Elections: Femi Falana / Shehu Sani Advises Buhari On How To End Banditry & Herdsmen Violence / Tinubu Appoints Abdullahi Usman Bello As Chairman, Code of Conduct Bureau

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.