Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,426 members, 7,808,527 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:03 PM

World's Most Powerful Digital Camera Gets The Go-ahead - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / World's Most Powerful Digital Camera Gets The Go-ahead (1053 Views)

Elon Musk Launches Car To Space on World's Most Powerful Rocket(Photos/Video) / 9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes / Top 10 Most Powerful Animal Bites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World's Most Powerful Digital Camera Gets The Go-ahead by dailytechfeeds: 9:29pm On Sep 08, 2015
A smartphone with a 16-megapixel camera may seem cutting edge, but it won't impress astronomers now that the US Department of Energy's SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory has given the go-ahead to start construction of the world's largest digital camera. With a resolution of 3.2-gigapixels (enough to need 1,500 high-definition television screens to display one image), the new camera is at the heart of the 8.4-meter (27.5-ft) Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) now under construction atop Cerro Pachón in Chile.

Not surprisingly, the new camera is no lightweight. The three-mirrored device is the size of a small car, tipping the scales at over 3 tons (2.7 tonnes). It's the result of a wide partnership of institutions that include Brookhaven National Laboratory, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, and SLAC, contains 189 sensors, has a resolution equivalent to 800,000 eight-megapixel cameras, and contains a filter-changing mechanism and shutter for viewing different wavelengths from the near-ultraviolet to the near-infrared.

Having passed the last major approval decision, Critical Decision 3, the camera will be built and tested over the next five years in a new 185-sq m (2,000-sq ft), two-story-tall clean room at SLAC in Menlo Park, California before installation in the LSST.

It's hoped that this will assist astronomers to gain a better understanding of how galaxies are formed, aid in tracking potentially dangerous asteroids, and also provide a better understanding of dark matter and dark energy, which is believed to make up 95 percent of the Universe.

"We’ve been working hard for years to get to this point,” said Nadine Kurita, camera project manager at SLAC. "Everyone is very excited to start building the camera and take a big step toward conducting a deep survey of the Southern night sky."

http://www.dailytechfeeds.com/2015/09/worlds-most-powerful-digital-camera.html

Re: World's Most Powerful Digital Camera Gets The Go-ahead by Dekatron(m): 5:56pm On Sep 09, 2015
Damn!!

I know its for space observation.
Cc: lalasticlala, johnydon22, teempakguy, menesheh, robinhez
Re: World's Most Powerful Digital Camera Gets The Go-ahead by johnydon22(m): 6:18pm On Sep 09, 2015
Dekatron:
Damn!!

I know its for space observation.

Cc: lalasticlala, johnydon22, teempakguy, menesheh, robinhez
Of course it must be for deep space exploration, who can't take a selfie with that..

Do you know the hubble telescope cannot take a pic of earth because it is too close to earth. . so this new camera is obviously for deep space astronomy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: World's Most Powerful Digital Camera Gets The Go-ahead by Nobody: 6:22pm On Sep 09, 2015
HA!

HABA!

THE ONE WEY DEM GET, DEM NO USE AM FINISH. THEY WAN GET ANOTHER 3200 MEGAPIXEL JOIN AM.

THESE PEOPLE SEF, WHEN I DEY HERE DEY MANAGE 2.0 MP SELFIE CAMERA. cry
Re: World's Most Powerful Digital Camera Gets The Go-ahead by Nobody: 6:28pm On Sep 09, 2015
johnydon22:
Of course it must be for deep space exploration, who can take a selfie with that..

Do you know the hubble telescope cannot take a pic of earth because it is too close to earth. . so this new camera is obviously for deep space astronomy
any human that attempts to take a selfie with that kind of camera will run mad whenever he sees the resulting image.
Re: World's Most Powerful Digital Camera Gets The Go-ahead by johnydon22(m): 6:33pm On Sep 09, 2015
Teempakguy:
any human that attempts to take a selfie with that kind of camera will run mad whenever he sees the resulting image.

Wicked!!! grin

Laughing to myself now imagining how it will be for the person when he/she sees the picture cheesy will be like "WTF, This can't be me" **Faints**

You can imagine the deeps details the camera will show... lipsrsealed
Re: World's Most Powerful Digital Camera Gets The Go-ahead by menesheh(m): 6:36pm On Sep 09, 2015
johnydon22:
Of course it must be for deep space exploration, who can take a selfie with that..

You mean Like seriously? Hubble too close to earth that it can only take blur picture of the earth

Amazing
Re: World's Most Powerful Digital Camera Gets The Go-ahead by johnydon22(m): 6:40pm On Sep 09, 2015
menesheh:

You mean Like seriously? Hubble too close to earth that it can only take blur picture of the earth

Amazing
Yes bro. . You can imagine holding your phone like 2cm from your face and take a pic... wouldn't show nada
Re: World's Most Powerful Digital Camera Gets The Go-ahead by Nobody: 6:55pm On Sep 09, 2015
johnydon22:
Wicked!!! grin

Laughing to myself now imagining how it will be for the person when he/she sees the picture cheesy will be like "WTF, This can't be me" **Faints**

You can imagine the deeps details the camera will show... lipsrsealed
grin grin grin
Imagine having one television devoted to displaying just one tiny section of your nose, or beard. shocked

Chai, I can't even begin to imagine. cry
Re: World's Most Powerful Digital Camera Gets The Go-ahead by johnydon22(m): 7:00pm On Sep 09, 2015
Teempakguy:
grin grin grin
Imagine having one television devoted to displaying just one tiny section of your nose, or beard. shocked

Chai, I can't even begin to imagine. cry
Ron (in harry potter) will be like

"Blood hell" shocked
Re: World's Most Powerful Digital Camera Gets The Go-ahead by menesheh(m): 7:00pm On Sep 09, 2015
a. With a resolution of 3.2-gigapixels (enough to need 1,500 high-definition television screens to display one image)

Amazingly stupid camera resolution.

Johnydon22! Does it means that the optic in the camera, if used to launch a satellite with the same specs like hubble telescope, this new way of discovering earth-like planet will be like 3310 to it.
Re: World's Most Powerful Digital Camera Gets The Go-ahead by johnydon22(m): 7:04pm On Sep 09, 2015
menesheh:

Amazingly stupid camera resolution.

Johnydon22! Does it means that the optic in the camera, if used to launch a satellite with the same specs like hubble telescope, this new way of discovering earth-like planet will be like 3310 to it.

I doubt if this camera will be taken to outter space, a camera with this resolution is meant to explore deep space from here...
Re: World's Most Powerful Digital Camera Gets The Go-ahead by RobinHez(m): 8:56pm On Sep 09, 2015
*reads article*
It can't see the future ...mtcheeewww
*messes outta thread*

(1) (Reply)

Zoranga Is A Nigerian Mobile Money Service That Converts Airtime To Cash. / Push Button Customer To Waiter Paging System For Bar & Restaurants / ICT Companies In Ijebu Ode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.