Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,922 members, 7,806,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:39 PM

Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics (31703 Views)

Nigerian Athlete Blessing Okagbare Breaks 22-year-old African Record / Blessing Okagbare's Wig Falls Off During Leap (Photos, Video) / Blessing Okagbare Beats Usain Bolt To 2016 Guinness World Records (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by zinachidi(m): 11:43pm On Sep 08, 2015
By Ben Efe, Brazzaville, Congo

Following her decision to skip the 2015 All Africa Games, the National Sports Commission and the Athletics Federation of Nigeria have placed a ban on sprinter, Blessing Okagbare; excluding her from representing the country, at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, Brazil.

Okagbare, had a dismal outing at the IAAF World championships in Beijing, China. She claimed that injury forced her out of the competition, where Nigerians expected her to win a medal having run the third fastest time of the season in the 100m.
After the Beijing meet, Okagbare told officials of the AFN not to expect her in Congo. But amazingly, she showed up in Zurich, full of life and energy. She ran 10.98 seconds in the Diamond League, much to the chagrin of athletics officials who gave her the benefit of the doubt because of her purported injury.

The NSC and the AFN examined the circumstances bordering her decision to dock the AAG, and came to the conclusion to deny the athlete any chance of appearing in next year’s Olympics.

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/09/okagbare-banned-from-rio-olympics/

4 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by helpsystem: 11:46pm On Sep 08, 2015
Really

1 Like

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by MRBrownJ: 11:55pm On Sep 08, 2015
if that is true then here goes the only remote chance for 9ja to have a medal in the track and field part of the next olympic... oh well!

23 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by eddyline(m): 12:00am On Sep 09, 2015
MRBrownJ:
if that is true then here goes the only remote chance for 9ja to have a medal in the track and field part of the next olympic... oh well!
we'd just go to Rio to mark attendance

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Chanchit: 12:03am On Sep 09, 2015
Instead of this fools to get her a psychologist, they are banning her. She's disappointed with her last performance, nd she won't be happy jubilating with an AAG gold medal which she's sure of winning. Maybe they are reminding her its time to go run for the Canada or Uk, there are many countries monitoring this situation I'm sure, and I would be happy if she joins any of them. Steeewpeed foools.

129 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by mekonglobal(m): 12:16am On Sep 09, 2015
In dat case, no hope for Nigeria nah be dat....abi another person dey?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by MRBrownJ: 12:34am On Sep 09, 2015
eddyline:

we'd just go to Rio to mark attendance

like a nice vacation for the track & field athletes

16 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by NeduLuiZ(m): 12:40am On Sep 09, 2015
More like banning christiano Ronaldo grin

59 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by safarigirl(f): 1:40am On Sep 09, 2015
She should be banned. Why tell lies? Does C. Ronaldo resort to lies to skip obligations? It's only in Nigeria such unethical behaviour is condoned and encouraged. Make we go mark attendance, no wahala, abi Blessing been no dey London in 2012? She win medal? She can sit home next year and watch others in Rio. And please, she can't make the US team

82 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by lepasharon(f): 2:24am On Sep 09, 2015
For real ?
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Funjosh(m): 4:13am On Sep 09, 2015
Chanchit:
Instead of this fools to get her a psychologist, they are banning her. She's disappointed with her last performance, nd she won't be happy jubilating with an AAG gold medal which she's sure of winning. Maybe they are reminding her its time to go run for the Canada or Uk, there are many countries monitoring this situation I'm sure, and I would be happy if she joins any of them. Steeewpeed foools.

Blessing doesn't need a PsYchologist, it is the AFN that need a very sound Psychologist. Blessing was harshly judged and the f**ls are pushing her away, don't be surprised seeing her flagging for a more better country in Rio next year undecided

17 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by onatisi(m): 4:19am On Sep 09, 2015
Funjosh:

Blessing doesn't need a PsYchologist, it is the AFN that need a very sound Psychologist. Blessing was harshly judged and the f**ls are pushing her away, don't be surprised seeing her flagging for a more better country in Rio next year undecided
she should have dumped Nigeria long time ago. By now age is probably catching up on her.

6 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Funjosh(m): 4:27am On Sep 09, 2015
onatisi:
she should have dumped Nigeria long time ago. By now age is probably catching up on her.

Even at this her present age, let those oyinbo handle her, you will be surprised that she will beat those. Jamaicans and Americans.

Blessings got more golds in her bloods.

6 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Funjosh(m): 4:37am On Sep 09, 2015
safarigirl:
She should be banned. Why tell lies? Does C. Ronaldo resort to lies to skip obligations? It's only in Nigeria such unethical behaviour is condoned and encouraged. Make we go mark attendance, no wahala, abi Blessing been no dey London in 2012? She win medal? She can sit home next year and watch others in Rio. And please, she can't make the US team

What was her lies, what was her excuses

Am even happy now that she is banned self so she will have some breathing space from Nigerians giving her different names.

Wish Warri is a country, she for kuku just represent her people as the people she was representing decided to tag her with that when she came last at the finals.

If she can't make the US team, I believe she can make the Canadian or British team undecided

10 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by onatisi(m): 5:58am On Sep 09, 2015
Funjosh:

Even at this her present age, let those oyinbo handle her, you will be surprised that she will beat those. Jamaicans and Americans.

Blessings got more golds in her bloods.
Nigeria isn't worth racing for or sacrificing yourself for. Keshi and co knows how to handle our sport officials very well

4 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by ChappyChase: 6:47am On Sep 09, 2015
safarigirl:
My friend keep quite! If she had said the truth would tha AFN let her be? If na me be the babe I for don quit Nigeria tey tey!!!

6 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by oweman: 6:55am On Sep 09, 2015
ChappyChase:

My friend keep quite! If she had said the truth would tha AFN let her be? If na me be the babe I for don quit Nigeria tey tey!!!

When is she planning to start raising her own family abi to dey kontinue 'do' small small abi in Neva ripe reach ? I just don't want her to become a leftover
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by ChappyChase: 7:25am On Sep 09, 2015
oweman:

When is she planning to start raising her own family abi to dey kontinue 'do' small small abi in Neva ripe reach ? I just don't want her to become a leftover
E be like say, we're on same side..
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by safarigirl(f): 8:00am On Sep 09, 2015
Funjosh:

What was her lies, what was her excuses

Am even happy now that she is banned self so she will have some breathing space from Nigerians giving her different names.

Wish Warri is a country, she for kuku just represent her people as the people she was representing decided to tag her with that when she came last at the finals.

If she can't make the US team, I believe she can make the Canadian or British team undecided
she's free to make any team she wants to make. If not for condition, aren't there faster girls in Nigeria? A country of 160 million and we keep depending on one person for something as basic as running. Una no dey shame? Instead of advocating for the useless AFN and NSC to find better athletes, we'll be here idolizing an inconsistent one. Let them ban her, if na civil servant do this kain thing, dem for suspend am.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by safarigirl(f): 8:07am On Sep 09, 2015
ChappyChase:

it's 'QUIET' not quite and last I checked, this is a public forum and I can state my opinion. Let her quit, wetin wan happen? People been no dey before she come? If she had told the AFN point-blank that she just wasn't mentally prepared for AAG and they did this, I would've been on her side, but this her style was just plain unethical and if you look at it with a just eye, instead of your usual "she's our only hope", you'd realise that this can happen to even the best athlete in a sane country. Na only naija dey mumu like this

9 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Dannyandre(m): 8:25am On Sep 09, 2015
She deserves to be banned .This is the time for AFN and NSC to look for new and patriotic athletes that can make Nigeria proud instead of beaming all our hopes on Okagbare. If we had other great athletes do u think DAT she will be behaving like dis?? A beg let her go and sit down and watch the Olympics on her TV with her husband

10 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Funjosh(m): 9:12am On Sep 09, 2015
safarigirl:
she's free to make any team she wants to make. If not for condition, aren't there faster girls in Nigeria? A country of 160 million and we keep depending on one person for something as basic as running. Una no dey shame? Instead of advocating for the useless AFN and NSC to find better athletes, we'll be here idolizing an inconsistent one. Let them ban her, if na civil servant do this kain thing, dem for suspend am.

Nobody is Idolizing Blessing, you just point out another problem with those f**ls managing our sport, they give less and expecting much.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by BANGERLEE1(m): 9:37am On Sep 09, 2015
#
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by LMAyedun(m): 9:37am On Sep 09, 2015
Good one!
The problem with most of our sport men and women is that they represent the country with the mindset of what they can get (Money-wish) and not for the love of the country (patriotism)
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by omusiliyu(m): 9:37am On Sep 09, 2015
She should know that Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa. If she can't other other athletes are there.

After her poor display in Beijing... And her failure to be part of Nigeria team in Congo and Brazil. her name will so go extinct.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Berrylite: 9:37am On Sep 09, 2015
Nobody should be above the law..We don't know bettee than officials of AFN. If you have personal beef with them, Give a call to their office and stop ranting like a hungry dog here....

Call / whatsap to get more info abt natural weight reduction using CLEAN 9. 0..8.1.0.1.9.5.1.6.7.8
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Nobody: 9:38am On Sep 09, 2015
Eiyaaaaahcrycrycry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by oathman(m): 9:38am On Sep 09, 2015
eh yaa
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by ibkgab001: 9:38am On Sep 09, 2015
Faster
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by ninocia18(m): 9:39am On Sep 09, 2015
Ok. I think these guys are acting too fast here. I know tempers are high but come to think of it, this hottie is one of our best chance of glory come the Rio Olympics. Let them calm down and talks things over. There must be a reason. They say when a mosquito lands on your testicles, that's when you remember dialogue rather than violence. An average Nigerian will squash his balls and miss the mosquito.

1 Like

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Adesam09(m): 9:39am On Sep 09, 2015
Oops

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Brazilian Wearing "KANU" Nigerian Jersey At RIO Olympics / Who Are Your Best Footballers Of All-time? (the Players You Watched Play) / Yakubu Aiyegbeni Retires From Football On His 35th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.