Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,543 members, 7,808,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! (42165 Views)

Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada / Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! / Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by VickyRotex(f): 2:48pm On Sep 09, 2015
dearpreye:

Thank you. Do have a fulfilling day.
And you too. You're welcome!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 2:49pm On Sep 09, 2015
micronut:

dearpreye! You have written this piece excellently well. It's concise and aptly mind blowing.... I read it and read all over gain, i have always had a mindset of creating something, cause have been blessed with loads of Entrepreneurial ideas. Many have identified the spirit in me and have encouraged me not to look back, while some other have seen my move as a mere noise making.. But then i remain undeterred, When i finished with a 2.1 degree in biochemistry and decided an MBA school is my next point of call, many of my classmates and lecturers started calling me names... Today am not regretting this path, even when have not been earning a living myself, but am pretty sure, i would come out with something worthwhile soon.

I wrote this piece https://www.nairaland.com/2378227/self-employment-real-stomach-infrastructure sometimes ago, i had recieved more accolades and mockery from folks too, especially the percieved "Salary better grads", who feels the noise about self employment and encouragement is an empty noise to demonize the salary work, which i have evidently clarified. Coming here to see contributions from Truckpusher, you and loads of other great minds on this platform is a great moral booster. Let me say have never had it better on nairaland than today, am impressed. God bless you real Good.

What more can I say? You're also endowed with literary skills. It's one of those skills I love deeply.

Well, people understand life from various angles due to their background and other factors.

Whenever you write folks will appreciate and some others will denigrate. They're all very important to us.

Truckpusher is an oasis of wisdom. I've learned so much from him. I'll endeavour to see that thread on entrepreneurial infrastructure. It's the way to go.
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by MrsAnyanwu(f): 2:55pm On Sep 09, 2015
I like dis OP , his head is correct .....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by ElvishKing: 2:56pm On Sep 09, 2015
So I no fit cash out be that abi? I beg school still gives one possibility for job. At least I got some skills n knowledge to work something out. Either way na win win

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by ajilegend(m): 2:57pm On Sep 09, 2015
I don't really agree totally with you as regards taking any job be it cleaner or security cos av gone thru dat part b4. I have a Masters degree and whenever I apply to even schools (either primary or secondary) and immediately they realise I av Masters den dey won't give me the job after interview, let alone jobs dat don't need educational degree. You can quickly know if someone is a graduate in a job that requires less or no education

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by MzOcean(f): 2:58pm On Sep 09, 2015
God bless this OP, #Inspired. Btw, I'm looking for a job, I studied English. Thank u..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by micronut(m): 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2015
dearpreye:

What more can I say? You're also endowed with literary skills. It's one of those skills I love deeply.

Well, people understand life from various angles due to their background and other factors.

Whenever you write folks will appreciate and some others will denigrate. They're all very important to us.

Truckpusher is an oasis of wisdom. I've learned so much from him. I'll endeavour to see that thread on entrepreneurial infrastructure. It's the way to go.

Smiles! Thanx alot....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by francizy(m): 3:08pm On Sep 09, 2015
dearpreye:

Sure......

But I no see ur break light for that side na..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Eneze1(f): 3:17pm On Sep 09, 2015
dearpreye this is very wonderful piece. I hope our youths will be open minded and not stuck up in the old ways of doing things

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 09, 2015
Invest in yourself! Need anything from Jumia? Contact me now!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by free37: 3:22pm On Sep 09, 2015
Good discussion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Deluxever(m): 3:30pm On Sep 09, 2015
Everything about your writeup OP.........so so true i must say

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 3:42pm On Sep 09, 2015
Eneze1:
dearpreye this is very wonderful piece. I hope our youths will be open minded and not stuck up in the old ways of doing things

Thanks for the kind words. Change is a very gradual process. I believe the economic realities of the modern day will make many youths to open their minds wide beyond the scope of their degrees.

1 Like

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Binary(m): 4:00pm On Sep 09, 2015
OP. you are right! Our generation has become laze people all the name of I am a graduate. they so much believed in their certificate only to graduate and find out is a different ball game. Been a student does not stop you acquiring skills. It also wonder me how some people that studied creative course can't even practicalized it while waitin for that dream job. Like my own experience! When I was in Technical College I never played with my practical, that helps me when I entered University. I studied computer science, I used to tell my course mate then not only to study for straight A's but to study to know how to practicalize it. That has helped me so much. I graduated 2011 during my service year I registered my company I have been using it to get contracts while I also look for big jobs. I have been able to get married and bought myself a small car, Just last month here I landed on one job. My advice here is that try to acquire as many skills you can and pray to God for direction.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by tefund(m): 4:09pm On Sep 09, 2015
ndcide:
Then why did we vote for buhari?

One of it was to create and provide jobs.

Was this job reason not one of the reasons we kicked out Jonathan?

Abeg at least Buhari owes us the responsibility of fulfilling his promise on jobs.
A promise is a debt he OWES.
wrong mindset.pmb cant create job for you,obama cannot give americans all the jobs they need ..the job is within you ,look inward
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by niyidenrele: 4:23pm On Sep 09, 2015
Hmmmmm......mo ti fowoleran,mo n wo
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by 69MissedCalls(m): 4:35pm On Sep 09, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
The world doesn't owe you a job.
Very salient point. The so called 'illiterates' have realised and understood this point since ages, yet the self-acclaimed 'literates' have refused to.

Wooord! This is deep

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Ahmedlee19: 4:45pm On Sep 09, 2015
Nice advise

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by shizzy7(f): 4:51pm On Sep 09, 2015
MIKE ADENUGA,,the owner of GLOBACOM
One of the richest men in Africa was a Taxi Driver while in school..
Today he has the power to give people either White,,black or Blue collar jobs...

**After looking above whatever certificate you have searching for that dream job, all to no avail,,, look BELOW your certificate with humility,, you will get back up....

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 09, 2015
During my NYSC in Nasarawa,I found out the youths are their own problem. Each time we were asked to go for skill acquisition classes,you hear comments like....God forbid! they want me learn how to bake, sew, bead making...they want me to learn how to mix cement and become a bricklayer.....they want me to learn this...they want me to learn that...don't they know I'm a graduate..bla bla bla..... Today I know most a still jobless and still depending on their family without thinking of what to do before the job comes. Those who chose to learn are doing well for themselves today. Some saved from their monthly salary and started business.

My dearpreye..keep inspiring and changing negative mind sets. You are indeed a change agent. God bless you.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 09, 2015
peppyluv02:
During my NYSC in Nasarawa,I found out the youths are their own problem. Each time we were asked to go for skill acquisition classes,you hear comments like....God forbid! they want me learn how to bake, sew, bead making...they want me to learn how to mix cement and become a bricklayer.....they want me to learn this...they want me to learn that...don't they know I'm a graduate..bla bla bla..... Today I know most a still jobless and still depending on their family without thinking of what to do before the job comes. Those who chose to learn are doing well for themselves today. Some saved from their monthly salary and started business.

My dearpreye..keep inspiring and changing negative mind sets. You are indeed a change agent. God bless you.

Skills are the way to go. Our system was designed to prepare graduates for white collar jobs; it's a crazy and unrealistic dream. Everyone won't work in the big organisations, but everyone must eat na...LOL!

I was just lucky to have stumbled upon Robert Kiyosakyi and other great motivators who changed that crazy mindset of mine into a smart and wide one.....I'm still enjoying those great books.......

When I read comments such as yours- from people I deeply admire and love, it Wells up strong emotions and then further encourage me to do more. Thank you.

Peppyluv02, we will keep doing all we can to positively influence the few we could. We can't enjoy these benefits alone. There's enough to go round the world but our education, instead of assisting us, has now become a huge albatross.

We can't afford failure. It's damn too expensive.
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Kazrem(m): 5:06pm On Sep 09, 2015
Education on this century does not guarantee success. This thinking must be drummed in the hear of many undergraduates these days else they will be frustrated when not succeeded via 9-5 job.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 5:11pm On Sep 09, 2015
Oga preye is mouthed abeg. This is wisdom talking.

He that has ears, let him hear!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 09, 2015
Observant:
We have an education that trains you to be depend on the system, sadly the education it self is outdated and time wasting.

After seeing the uselessness of my B.Eng, I knew applying for a Masters degree would be another waste of my time. At the moment I am applying to vocational schools to learn a skill in machinery and equipment overhaul and maintenance .
Am interested in applying to this school sir. Which of them?
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 09, 2015
Kazrem:
Education on this century does not guarantee success. This thinking must be drummed in the hear of many undergraduates these days else they will be frustrated when not succeeded via 9-5 job.

Yes. The earlier we jettison it, the better and healthier for me. But how can we jettison it when the education sector keeps drumming the nonsense? That means we need to target the undergraduates.

I'm glad sone of us are breaking away from this system that has succeeded in destroying and frustrating vibrant youths.
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Pchidexy(m): 5:30pm On Sep 09, 2015
Op, may God bless you. I have often said that University education is over rated. Many youth fail to realize that passion and money must go hand in hand. I had no interest in teaching but unluckly for me I got admission to study education. After graduation, I taught in some schools. I then realized that such environment wasn't for me. I quit and pursued business as an Igbo boy which has always been my passion. Nna mehn, I have not regretted that decision. Many graduates are just lazy and pompous.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by shizzy7(f): 5:30pm On Sep 09, 2015
peppyluv02:

it also has to do with the person's family,, I have a friend who for the past 6yrs has been writing jamb but no admission I keep telling her to go and look for a Job or learn a skill till she gains admission lai lai,, she keeps saying nooo I can't do that.. all she does is sleep,eat,watch telemundo &go to parties. For the past 5yrs she has gained nothing But I blame her Mom she's always supporting her child's decision and petting her every time....
One of my course mate who is 19, she's worth over half a million 'cos she's always doing one job or the other from ushering, to doing sales girls during holidays,, makes hair for girls in the hostel,, She knows the capability of her parents and she's doing everything to support them by paying her own school fees and seeing herself through school....

When someone has a family that has nothing to offer except advice & prayers and many people looking up to you as the potential breadwinner,,nobody will beg that person to acquire a skill...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 09, 2015
Pchidexy:
Op, may God bless you. I have often said that University education is over rated. Many youth fail to realize that passion and money must go hand in hand. I had no interest in teaching but unluckly for me I got admission to study education. After graduation, I taught in some schools. I then realized that such environment wasn't for me. I quit and pursued business as an Igbo boy which has always been my passion. Nna mehn, I have not regretted that decision. Many graduates are just lazy and pompous.

Hmmm...Passion and money must go hand in hand. Great words. Who revealed that to you? That's the greatest string of words I've read today. ....Your wealth is in your passion. Why didn't the schools teach us this back then? Isn't it time to change the system? We're been limited by those old and almost obsolete methods.

God, help us.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 09, 2015
Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 5:40pm On Sep 09, 2015
dmandy:
Thanks

Thanks for reading and commenting. We can't afford failure. It's too expensive.
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 5:43pm On Sep 09, 2015
Binary:
OP. you are right! Our generation has become laze people all the name of I am a graduate. they so much believed in their certificate only to graduate and find out is a different ball game. Been a student does not stop you acquiring skills. It also wonder me how some people that studied creative course can't even practicalized it while waitin for that dream job. Like my own experience! When I was in Technical College I never played with my practical, that helps me when I entered University. I studied computer science, I used to tell my course mate then not only to study for straight A's but to study to know how to practicalize it. That has helped me so much. I graduated 2011 during my service year I registered my company I have been using it to get contracts while I also look for big jobs. I have been able to get married and bought myself a small car, Just last month here I landed on one job. My advice here is that try to acquire as many skills you can and pray to God for direction.

What a story! I believe your story has encouraged not a few. Thanks for sharing.
Re: When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 09, 2015
dearpreye:

Thanks for reading and commenting. We can't afford failure. It's too expensive.

No, we can't. Thanks once again.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada And Starting A Pure Water Business In Nigeria. / FG Begins Payment Of N30,000 To N-power Beneficiaries Today, Says Minister / 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.