Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise (18948 Views)

Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do / Drama In The Office As I Tender My Resignation After Getting A New Job. / Check Out This Resignation Letter (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by frankolett(m): 1:26pm On Sep 09, 2015
He was recently employed as a supervisor in one hotel at alimosho LGA Lagos State. According to him, the work load is tedious because apart from supervising, he also handles their account. He was surprise when his MD says his salary will be 15k for first 3moth after which it will be increased to 20k. Going off will be twice in a week and his house is Stone throw to the hotel. How can he possible accept this offer as a graduate of Accounting . Pls advice

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by kkkp: 1:56pm On Sep 09, 2015
It is better than staying at home idle. Donot despise the days of your little begining

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 09, 2015
He shud take the offer if he's presently doing nothing,
An idle hand,is ...

10 Likes

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by ojun50(m): 2:19pm On Sep 09, 2015
I knw people we say its better than staying @home but alot of sheet happen in most private organization, hv learn alot thinking of setting my biz.
@op is yr call be wise about it.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Richie0974: 2:34pm On Sep 09, 2015
Wait 20k for a graduate?? What is this country turning into.... Reject it...

27 Likes

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by sukkot: 2:34pm On Sep 09, 2015
ok na
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Sijo01(f): 2:35pm On Sep 09, 2015
Hold on to it. Acquire the experience, use your two days off duty to look for other jobs.
It's good you don't spend on transport. As a hotelier, you should be entitled to a square meal a day, right. It's an avenue to also meet people.

89 Likes 6 Shares

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by anonimi: 2:35pm On Sep 09, 2015
He had BETTER accept it and start gaining EXPERIENCE.
Many oyinbo people start working for FREE while in school or after graduation in order to gain experience.

Your accounting-graduate friend needs to find ways to improve himself and negotiate for more staff/assistants if he can show the MD conclusively that the work is tedious.
He should know that a business man is out to MAXIMISE his profit.
That means paying the least cost and he is just that- an element of cost!

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by teemyte: 2:36pm On Sep 09, 2015
Just passing by
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by WisdomCanada(m): 2:36pm On Sep 09, 2015
Aww
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Berrylite: 2:36pm On Sep 09, 2015
Ita well
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by DEXTROVERT: 2:36pm On Sep 09, 2015
Accept it pls, and meanwhile find a better job...
Pls don't be idle, besides don't despise days of little beginning.

2 Likes

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Nobody: 2:36pm On Sep 09, 2015
Half bread senior puff puff!

3 Likes

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Nobody: 2:37pm On Sep 09, 2015
It's his choice.

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by ladyF(f): 2:37pm On Sep 09, 2015
Since he's not spending on transport and he's still making profit from the 15k salary, he should continue. No experience is wasted. Half bread is better than none.

It's [size=20pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Nobody: 2:37pm On Sep 09, 2015
My advice, if you know this job will deprive you of having time to look for another job, quit it, else you will blink ur eyes and still find ur self there in 5yrs time and not achieve anything. As for me, I can't. fvck experience and all dat bullsh1ts ppl talk about gaining if he decides to stay.

7 Likes

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by damiloladuke: 2:38pm On Sep 09, 2015
[size=16pt]why tonight, is he a security guard?[/size]

25 Likes

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by kamez(m): 2:38pm On Sep 09, 2015
except he has a little cash to start up something of his own..

otherwise he had better stick to that job till something better comes up.

but Nigeria jaga Jaga no be small. graduate accountant earning 15 and 20k.

danfo conductors in Lagos actually earn more that in a month... its really heartbreaking

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by omodapson(m): 2:38pm On Sep 09, 2015
A bird in hand is worth more than the millions still roaming free in the air.
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Nobody: 2:39pm On Sep 09, 2015
A bird in the hand my brother! Before he steps out of the gate, that position has been grabbed.
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by bornmekus: 2:39pm On Sep 09, 2015
Choice is yours .Staying idle will be the worst of all.

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Toks2008(m): 2:40pm On Sep 09, 2015
frankolett:
He was recently employed as a supervisor in one hotel at alimosho LGA Lagos State. According to him, the work load is tedious because apart from supervising, he also handles their account. He was surprise when his MD says his salary will be 15k for first 3moth after which it will be increased to 20k. Going off will be twice in a week and his house is Stone throw to the hotel. How can he possible accept this offer as a graduate of Accounting . Pls advice

15k FOR WHAT?

Except there is an avenue for him to make more legally while expecting that peeanut or he finds something else to do.

2 Likes

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by MKO4ever(m): 2:40pm On Sep 09, 2015
The subject contradicts your story, which one to believe?
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by IVORY2009(m): 2:40pm On Sep 09, 2015
frankolett:

If I would hv to advise or if I were ur friend, I will holdon to dat job @ hand first, before thinking of getting another job, the present day Nigeria, d jobs are not there, everything is on a slow paste. " A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush" or does he want to go into business.

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Winneygirl(f): 2:40pm On Sep 09, 2015
Put pride aside. Use logic. What is the alternative? Is the job costing him more than the company pays him? Does this mean that he gets to work 3days a week?

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by spinna: 2:40pm On Sep 09, 2015
A stone throw from his house and 3 days off..better than nothing..the free days can be used for searching for a better job or facing your entrepreneurship...keep it cos also gain hotel mgmt experience

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by omusiliyu(m): 2:40pm On Sep 09, 2015
He should resigned... And wait for Buhari's stipend.
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by ask4double(m): 2:40pm On Sep 09, 2015
20K per month? How will you cope?
Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by SomebodyLovesMe: 2:40pm On Sep 09, 2015
That salary is a joke, no doubt. But then it is relative. Your friend needs to assess his present situation and determine if after working there for a few months, he could be better off or worse off.

He should consider the following:

1. He is building his experience (which he will need on his CV when applying for future roles).
2. He lives close by, so transport costs are eliminated (or mostly so)
3. (Hopefully) he gets fed at the hotel
4. He can put together a savings and use that to invest in a small business
5. If he gets a better job a week after he starts, he is free to resign
6. He is not sitting home doing nothing

However, if after considering the above he still feels unconvinced, then its best he does not take the role.

5 Likes

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by bolabolabo: 2:40pm On Sep 09, 2015
first, he should define what he wants, if it's d type of experience he wants, he shouldn't consider d amount. but if the experience is not in line with what he want... my friend do urself a favour..... Gerraradere... in igbo.....

2 Likes

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by mrkels(m): 2:41pm On Sep 09, 2015
If he has a better offer, then why not? Allow him resign jor.

Also, he should continue in his job search, and if this current work would hinder him from attending new interviews, then please tell him to better stay at home

1 Like

Re: A Friend Is About To Tender His Resignation Tonight Please Advise by Nobody: 2:42pm On Sep 09, 2015
[size=20pt]Work experience....[/size]

Now apart from the work experience issue, he gets to learn one or two things from there.

Opportunities to meet other useful people.

He should stick with that for now while he's looking for other jobs elsewhere.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How My Job Nearly Got Me Killed / 3 Reasons Companies Are Dumping Interview For Assessment Center / Dismissed Staff Were Adequately Compensated – Heritage Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.