Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,418 members, 7,781,219 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:48 AM

Boko Haram Triggers "Pomo" Scarcity Across Nigeria - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Boko Haram Triggers "Pomo" Scarcity Across Nigeria (746 Views)

Scarcity Of Tomatoes , Other Commodities Hit Lagos Markets / Tomato Scarcity : Has Anyone Used Dried Tomatoes For Stew? / Food Scarcity Looms In Prisons Over N6bn Debt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram Triggers "Pomo" Scarcity Across Nigeria by Blacksodje(m): 5:20pm On Sep 09, 2015
Truck loaded with hides and skin, ready for export Boko Haram attacks and the blockage of routes leading to neighbouring countries from Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, have been identified to be responsible for the acute shortage of cow hides and skin (otherwise known as pomo) for consumption and for industrial use, thereby affecting cross border trade. A major dealer in hides and skin, who buys the goods from Maiduguri and sells in Ibadan and Lagos, Alhaja Mulikat Akande, said hides and skin are becoming increasingly scarce and expensive thereby affecting consumption in homes, restaurants and during ceremonies. Alhaja Mulikat, who said she was in Maiduguri to buy large consignment of cow skin for consumption, lamented that she could not get the quantity she wanted even as she lamented that the commodity was now too expensive. “Alhaji Goni was the one supplying me in Lagos but the supply started ceasing in 2012 due to insurgency. About a year ago he completely stopped supplying me, with the excuse that he was no more seeing the product to buy. I decided to come here and buy, thinking I will see. The small quantity I was able to see turned out to be expensive,” she said. When contacted, chairman of Borno State Association of Hides and Skin Dealers, Alhaji Mustafa Abba Kine, who confirmed the scarcity of the commodity, said supply to Nigeria from Central Africa, Sudan, Chad and Cameroon reduced drastically since all routes leading from Maiduguri to the land frontier have been closed due to Boko Haram occupation of towns and villages along the routes. “We usually get supplies of five to 10 truck- loads of cow skin from those countries I mentioned, daily. But the highest we get now is just a truck-load per week. Even at that, the truck has to pass through Niger Republic and enter Nigeria through Katsina, pass through Kano to come to Maiduguri. The prolonged journey hikes the cost. The supply is far below the market demand,” Kine stated. “The ones I am talking about are the cattle skin we usually sell to people at Ijebu-Ode, Lagos, Ibadan, Calabar and most parts of the south for consumption. We used to get supplies of goats and sheep skins from local government areas in the state. Before the insurgency, we could get as many as 40,000 pieces daily. But now, we hardly get up to 50 pieces in a day,” he explained. “We supply goats and sheep skins to customers in Kano where the ginneries process them for shoes, bags and belts making. Cattle rustling and the fact that people have ran away from most of the local government areas in the state reduced the consumption of meat to near zero point. The markets are no more there,” the hides and skin dealers chairman said. source: www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/business/ insurgency-triggers-pomo-scarcity-across- nigeria/108521.html
Re: Boko Haram Triggers "Pomo" Scarcity Across Nigeria by redvektor(m): 5:23pm On Sep 09, 2015
g
Re: Boko Haram Triggers "Pomo" Scarcity Across Nigeria by ayolatun(m): 5:34pm On Sep 09, 2015
H
Re: Boko Haram Triggers "Pomo" Scarcity Across Nigeria by Pronmix(m): 11:00pm On Sep 09, 2015
Just imagine what people are doing to our leather industry, we could be more well known in leather crafting than Italy if not for this. 5 to 10 truckload SMH.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Affordable Testy Nigeria Food / Today Is World Cancer Day-lets Support Cancer Patients / Lose 20kg Of Weight Within 30 Days With Foods, This Is Real...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.