Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,530 members, 7,770,363 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:55 AM

Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' (84942 Views)

Love Story: Between Love, Aristo & Marraige...part 2 / Is Love Sex! The Difference Between Love Making And Sex. / The Best Ways To Make A Girl Laugh,smile And Like You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by Nobody: 9:09am On May 21, 2005
I'm always amused at how quickly a guy will tell you, "he loves you". Its often followed by a series of "I don't want to hurt you", "I did not mean to hurt you", and " I hope we can still be friends".

Guys, whats going on? If you like a girl, leave it at that. Love is a genuine feeling which is losing its impact because you take advantage of it.

That's my opinion, am I wrong?
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by Seun(m): 9:20am On May 21, 2005
Here's one (cynical) view:
[list][li]'Love' means he wants to sleep with you, or perhaps marry you.[/li][li]'Like' means he genuinely likes you, or maybe just your body.[/li][/list]

I don't know why young women pay so much attention to what men say. I mean, a man will tell you anything he thinks you want to hear. So why not pay more attention to his actions?

1 Like

Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by mamba(m): 9:58am On May 21, 2005
ezinne1212:

I'm always amused at how quickly a guy will tell you, "he loves you". Its often followed by a series of "I don't want to hurt you", "I did not mean to hurt you", and " I hope we can still be friends".
Well, you're right [I]sha![/I] I've had so many friends that do stuff like that (players)

As for me, though I like girls but I don't like the idea of toying with their feelings. I'd rather reserve the "I love you" for my wife to be.

Guys, If you don't love a girl then keep it simple and stop professing love. What goes around comes around!
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by Donpet(m): 10:52am On May 21, 2005
My opinion on this is;
LIKE: It is when sombody said that he or she like an object. We like an object not loving an object.

LOVE: Love mean when u see sombody and said to the person that u love him or her that is correct. we love our fellow human being. so like refers to an object while love refers to human being.
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by Allenpowered(m): 11:52am On May 21, 2005
the thing about love is that it has been over hyped and over flogged that the real meaning is hazy. Infact its hard for me to really differentiate the word love and like.Maybe love is a stronger like, or is love a mirage, a figment of an imagination, an ideal we strive to have?It gets me confused.. cry

1 Like

Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by Chigszy(f): 6:34pm On May 24, 2005
Love has different meaning but people tend to misuse it. We use "I love you" everyday, so it has become just another word. This is because we do not stop to take in the meaning of the word.

"I love you" is different. "I am in love with you" is a whole lot different. If we do not mean it, we do not say it. What is the point of saying it just to make the other person happy even though you know you do not feel what you re saying? Be sinciere, that is all.

I rather a guy tell me that he likes me. I mean, yes, we women (also men) love to hear the significant other say those magic words but I rather a guy tell me he likes me a lot or cares about me and I know that he means it than he tells me that he loves me and I think that he really does when on the other hand he was just trying to make me feel happy!!

That hurts even more, so let's use the magic word when we really mean it (or you could tell the significant other that you have 'fallen in love' with them when you really mean it).
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by love4ever(f): 3:10pm On Jun 14, 2005
When you say you like someone that means you are about to loving the person and it would be with all your heart.

When you say you love one that mean you can share pains and passions with the person and it is forever. shocked

1 Like

Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by WesleyanA(f): 6:01am On Nov 09, 2005
i copied this off some site:
i don't totally agree with it but it gives you an idea.

Difference between

"somebody you Love"

& "somebody you Like":

1 - In front of the person you love, your heart
beats
faster, But in front of the person you like, you get
happy.

2 - in front of the person you love, winter seems
spring. But in front of the person you like, winter
is
just beautiful winter.

3 - If you look into the eyes of the one you love,
you
blush. But if you look into the eyes of the one you
like, you smile.

4 - In front of the person you love, you can't say
everything on your mind. But in front of the person
you like, you can.

5 - In front of the person you love, you tend to get
shy. But in front of the person you like, you can
show
your own self.

6 - You can't look straight into the eyes of the one
you love. But you can always smile into the eyes of
the one you like.

7 - When the one you love is crying, you cry with
them. But when the one you like is crying, you end
up
comforting.

8 - The feeling of love starts from the eye But the
feeling of like starts from the ear. So if you stop
liking a person you used to like, all you need
to do is cover your ears. But if you try to close
your
eyes, love turns into a drop of tear and remains in
your heart forever...

also, you can like lots of people but can Love just a few (or only one?)people

God Gives and Forgives
People Get and Forget

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by Naijalife(f): 1:51am On Nov 10, 2005
you want to know the difference
do you really want to know
well you asked for it

Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like'

Love - likeness of various expressions
Like - living in kind eagarness

i will break it down
I like you. meaning i tolerate you in kind regard. you are very personable. you are an ok type of person
Love - my tolerance for you in kind regard varies in likeness. one time, i want you, another i want to kill you or hurt you. i find myself in various emotions i can't handle but i can't seem to let you go. it's like i am hook

When a guy says he loves you and want to be friends. he means he can tolerate you as a friend but can't share that deep emotions with you anymore. he holds you in high regard. you notice i didn't say Kind. in high regards. his feelings are intact for you but they just don't hold that kind of various expressions anymore.

now the boundary between liking and loving someone is a reality check for some
it’s hard to talk about this boundary without using example and comparison. They don’t give an exact picture, but they suggest and give you a sense of the reality.
If you say, “I love my dog,” but look at an apartment that doesn’t allow pets, you only liked the dog. Whoever said, “You can fall in love with a rich man as easily as a poor man,” never loved. Whoever thinks love can be measured by a bathroom scale or diminished by age, never loved.

Love is like the answer to a riddle. Other answers may seem good or clever, but only this one answer is perfect.

Love is like the right job. The job inspires you and feels like play. You crave the work, you are passionate about it. It lifts you up and drives you to new levels.

Love is the color which connects with the deepest level of your being. It is the music which speaks to you.

When you love someone, you are totally yourself with them. Nothing can drive a wedge between you. Whatever life throws at you, you deal with together.

When you reach the boundary between like and love, you know you are entering another country. You are beyond newness and infatuation. You know what Shakespeare meant when he called love “an ever-fixed mark that looks on tempests and is never shaken.”

when he tells you "baby you know i love you" and i don't want to hurt you but can we still be friends". it's over. there is a wedge between us that we can deal together anymore but i like very much that we remain friends because the beautiful thing that we share shoudn't be wasted on enimity

my 2cents

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by Nobody: 9:52pm On Dec 07, 2005
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by phorlabee(m): 4:22am On Dec 11, 2005
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by disney(f): 4:33am On Dec 11, 2005
This is a very tricky one but from my perspective.

Love ...... is a very spiritual force, its all about sacrifice, can he do things for me, can he be there for me, can he love me whether am blind, deaf or ill, you know thats love............love is feelings with actions ........it all boils down to sacrifice, passion and trust in the long run. kiss
Like.......if a guy says to me, ooo l like you, then it means he likes me as a friend and not ready to do anything that requires sacrifice for me....thats what that means. its similar to saying, " I like that dress" but can l buy the dress for that price......or I like that suv truck but can l buy it.........all l want is just to be there admiring.....fine car , fine dress but no real care............u feeling me on that one. Also, like can be compared to feelings with no action. grin
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by phorlabee(m): 4:51am On Dec 11, 2005
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by Nobody: 4:57am On Dec 11, 2005
Love is a very strong word

my example:

: would just be like if i had a crush on this guy i talk to , or maybe at the begginin of a relationship u only like the person .

love : we've been together for a long time , relationship is good n all that , u can feel that emotion called love .. i believe when u get to that stage you'll definetely be able to tell the difference.

aiight aiight i think i need to stop writing all these damn novels.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by otokx(m): 1:30pm On Dec 15, 2005
one goes deaper as comes over time. Like is spontaneous, Love comes with time, patience and hardwork.
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by goldenoc(f): 1:56pm On Dec 15, 2005
The difference lays in you. You know whom you like and whom you love
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by Terry1(m): 7:11pm On Dec 17, 2005
difference between like and love, do i really have anything to say? oh maybe,
like is when u r interested in someone and u are always comfortable with him/her around but love is a deep feeling, its not just u for intercourse or what ever u call it, for example u love ur mother but u cant have sex with her or marry her, so i disagree with seun.

Seun:

Here's one (cynical) view:
[list][li]'Love' means he wants to sleep with you, or perhaps marry you.[/li][li]'Like' means he genuinely likes you, or maybe just your body.[/li][/list]

I don't know why young women pay so much attention to what men say. I mean, a man will tell you anything he thinks you want to hear. So why not pay more attention to his actions?
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by Oracle(m): 2:17am On Dec 19, 2005
In front of the person you love, your heart beats faster.
But in front of the person you like, you get happy.

In front of the person you love, winter seems like spring.
But in front of the person you like, winter is just beautiful winter.

If you look into the eyes of the one you love, you blush.
But if you look into the eyes of the one you like, you smile.

In front of the person you love, you can't say everything on your mind.
But in front of the person you like, you can.

In front of the person you love, you tend to get shy.
But in front of the person you like, you can show your own self.

You can't look straight into the eyes of the one you love.
But you can always smile into the eyes of the one you like.

When the one you love is crying, you cry with them.
But when the one you like is crying, you end up comforting.

The feeling of love starts from the eye
But the feeling of like starts from the ear.

So if you stop liking a person you used to like, all you need to do is cover your ears. But if you try to close your eyes, love turns into a drop of tear and remains in your heart forever...............................…

1 Like

Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by WesleyanA(f): 4:05am On Dec 19, 2005
copycat rolleyes
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by 2nde(m): 3:52am On Jan 08, 2006
like is everlasting and sure, love is delicate
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by yummy(m): 5:52am On Jan 08, 2006
love has different meaning to it.

like is simply, i don't hate you.

love doesn't have to be 'i wanna sleep with you' it simply means the feeling is more than likeness.
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by hotangel2(f): 5:53am On Jan 08, 2006
WesleyanA:

copycat rolleyes
I know ehh?! cheesy cheesy

Love and like... Well.. i dunno. The meanings actually vary, depending on the situation. But those two words are deffinitely different. One thing i know is.. if a guy that 'don't know me' says.. I LOVE YOU.. I will laugh n laugh till i can laugh no more, Then i'll take it as I like you.
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by Rhodalyn(f): 10:06pm On Mar 04, 2006
love goes beyond like
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by love4ever(f): 12:18pm On Mar 07, 2006
oh well love is a strong word
no one can tell me i love you and i will agree because |"|LOVE is a very great word
only God can love me and my husband
to the point love means to me when God paid for my sins and like is a word that a guy should tell a girl instead of love. smiley
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by eveseh(f): 2:39pm On Apr 22, 2006
when u love someone u will wanna see the person every sec

but when u like someone,when u see the person ur heart dont beat at all,
when i like someone u just see the person as normal friend
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by eveseh(f): 11:06am On Apr 23, 2006
when u love someone,un feel funny inside u,

and when u like someone,it's normall u just see the person as ya friend
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by dachosen1(f): 1:49am On May 29, 2006
well personally i don't believe in love. i know that it exist but it's not something that i am willing to accept at the time being. My bestfriend tells me love is when u cant help puttin his last name with ur first name or her first name with ur last name, when u send flowers just because it wednsday, u sneak a kiss because they look like they needed to be kissed, when u pray for them more than u pray for urself. There are more things that goes along with what i know and wat she has told me but i don't feel like typing it. But when you like someone you might have feelings for the person but it wouldnt do anything to u if the person wasnt there.
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by kimba(m): 5:53pm On May 30, 2006
You can make/condition yourself to Like somebody, but you cant make/condition yourself to Love somebody.

Love is a Miracle that happens between two souls that they begin to realize they are bound together.

'Like' could be a temporary feeling maybe because of something you find unique, funny, interesting about another person. Like could develop into Love.
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by SvS(f): 12:28am On Jun 23, 2006
like is just fancying someone
love is more than dat
it involves the heart
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by eveseh(f): 12:29am On Jun 23, 2006
@svs u should be da new love doctor cheesy
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by katherinae(f): 6:06am On Nov 16, 2006
i think when nigeriamn boys say i love u, they actually mean i like u, kind of like the word flirt. nigerians use it to mean slut, why in reality the word flirt actually means a seductive woman who uses her sex appeal to exploit men. she doesnt have sex with them but toys with them. so the next time a nigerian boys says i love ya tots, he actually means ur kinda cute and would like to date ya.
Re: Difference Between 'Love' and 'Like' by juogar(f): 7:45pm On Nov 16, 2006
love is very strong and powerful, love generated from like ' likeness started like a joke, it growth and become a good friend it can end up in love

when you are in with someone than ready to do anything for the sack of love

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Most Important Bro Code Every Guy Should Never Break! / Lady With Massive Backside Causes "Hold Up On Facebook" / Wife Gets Pregnant For Their Househelp, Who Is Her Husband’s Secret Son (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.