Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,856 members, 7,802,743 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff (41942 Views)

Best Banks To Work In Nigeria: List Of Highest Paying Banks - FinancialWatchNgr / Konga Sacks Over 70% Of Staff / Banks To Sack Staff In Second Quarter – Rewane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by donogaga(m): 6:26am On Sep 12, 2015
A source who is a top management staff of one of the first generation banks told leadership Weekend on condition of anonymity that only two days ago, his bank laid off one thousand staff nationwide adding that the mostly affected in the downsizing exercise are desk officers.

He said, “As I speak with you now, about one thousand of our staff are already on their way out, because we can no longer accommodate them, but what we have done is to lay off more of the desk officers”.

Asked why the attention is on desk officers, the source said, “If you lay off those who go out to look for deposits you will worsen the situation, so we have to look at the survival of the bank first, the consequence of allowing desk officers to stay and sacking those who bring deposits will be higher, so we took the safer option of letting desk officers go”.

“The truth of the matter is that some of these deposits, especially fixed deposits help the banks a lot, now, there is directive that government funds be withdrawn, on one hand it will ensure accountability, but on the other hand the banks will also have to reduce their staff strength or be ready to recapitalise.

Another source told our correspondent that about 1,500 staff of a new generation bank were also laid off yesterday for the same reasons.

The source stated further that most of the staff laid off were those on temporary appointments. He said, “The problem is that, if you lay off permanent staff at once, you also have to pay them all their entitlements otherwise they will take you to court. Yes, majority of the people we truly do not need are unfortunately the permanent staff, but because of the confusion and litigation that will follow, we decided to relief those with temporary appointments. It is a painful decision, but we have to do it in other to save the banks.

“We have prepared their disengagement letters and most of them will be communicated next week. I tell you, not only here, all the banks will follow this line. That is the situation”.

Confirming the sack, a staff of one of the highly rated new generation banks with branches in each state capital and reputable for excellent services, who simply gave his name as Chukwuma said, “I got my letter of disengagement on Thursday, I was devastated, but at the same time I knew it will get to this point, because most of the commercial banks in Nigeria have very fat accounts of government agencies and ministries that runs into billions of naira.

“Some of these funds are not withdrawn for six months or even more and banks trade with them and make profits. So once you shut that angle of business certainly the banks will bleed, so if, other people did not expect sacks, then they must be day dreaming”.

http://leadership.ng/news/460520/banks-begin-massive-sack-over-treasury-single-acct

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by Nobody: 6:27am On Sep 12, 2015
Since this is happening, the Government should see what they can do to stem the tide of Unemployment in the country.

Besides, the Banking Sector offers the least form of job security, they downsize regularly, they shouldn't use this as an excuse. What's their excuse for the massive retrenchment of late 2014?

In other news....... FTC grin

Dedicated to all Barcelona fans.

73 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by INTROVERT(f): 6:27am On Sep 12, 2015
Winter is coming

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by SeverusSnape(m): 6:28am On Sep 12, 2015
Since Buhari came on board, thousands of Jobs have been lost. But the dull'ard promised two million jobs annually. Maybe he meant the opposite. Because he can be confused most of the times.

I just hope my friends who are Bankers won't be sacked.

115 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by dejavski(m): 6:31am On Sep 12, 2015
The era of "the poor killing themselves" for survival is nigh embarassed

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by IVORY2009(m): 6:32am On Sep 12, 2015
Lolz

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by Nobody: 6:33am On Sep 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:
Since Buhari came on board, thousands of Jobs have been lost.

Mr Severus, Please do not do this. Mention one administration since the days of Obasanjo that people did not lose their jobs.

This isn't about the Presidency, Its a national dilemma. We should be concerned about the solution rather personalising the problem on the Presidency, except if you're happy about it.

123 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by SeverusSnape(m): 6:34am On Sep 12, 2015
Axeurdaddy:

Mr Severus, Please do not do this. Mention one administration since the days of Obasanjo that people did not lose their jobs.

This isn't about the Presidency, Its a national dilemma. We should be concerned about the solution rather personalising the problem on the Presidency, except if you're happy about it.
Buhari's own is worse, just look, Only four months in power and tens of thousands of Jobs have been lost.

I'm not happy about it, because I have friends who are Bankers.

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by Nobody: 6:36am On Sep 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Buhari's own is worse, I'm not happy about it, because I have friends who are Bankers.

We both know it isn't, Do not allow petty hatred cloud your sense of judgement. I have friends and families who lost their jobs in Jonathan's era as well.

82 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by SeverusSnape(m): 6:37am On Sep 12, 2015
Axeurdaddy:

We both know it isn't, Do not allow petty hatred cloud your sense of judgement. I have friends and families who lost their jobs in Jonathan's era as well.
Is that so... I have friends who have lost their jobs and means of lively hood since Buhari took over, Just four months!

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Is that so... I have friends who have lost their jobs and means of lively hood since Buhari took over, Just four months!

I have relatives who had everything going good for them before Jonathan became the president and the harsh economic situation of the country led to them being booted out of their jobs. How's that too?

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by ademega(m): 6:41am On Sep 12, 2015
painful but the sacrifice for change and corrupt free society. when everything stabilize, they will get job and smile again.

55 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by SeverusSnape(m): 6:44am On Sep 12, 2015
Axeurdaddy:

I have relatives who had everything going good for them before Jonathan became the president and the harsh economic situation of the country led to them being booted out of their jobs. How's that too?
Oh, really?!... I had aquintances who were hale and hearty before Buhari came on board, all of a sudden, They are now on sick beds, because of the downward slope of our health care system under Buhari. How about that?

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by donogaga(m): 6:50am On Sep 12, 2015
ademega:
painful but the sacrifice for change and corrupt free society. when everything stabilize, they will get job and smile again.

Hopefully.....

Let's hope for the best!!!

9 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by Nobody: 6:51am On Sep 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Oh, really?!... I had aquintances who were hale and hearty before Buhari came on board, all of a sudden, They are now on sick beds, because of the downward slope of our health care system under Buhari. How about that?

This should obviously point out to you that the issue of downsizing in companies or financial institutions isn't peculiar to this administration alone, Its a cankerworm that has been embedded in the fabrics of our economy. Crying Wolf won't solve the problem.

Asides the issue of TSA, Banks downsize at intervals, A massive retrenchment exercise was called out in the banking sector last year, Was PMB the president then? My point is, Something needs to be done about Employment Generation so everyone doesn't rely on banks because the Banking Industry has been the largest employer of Labour for the past 4-5yrs.

Healthcare?? C'mon bro. Our hospitals have always been bad. Even GEJ and his Wife used to travel abroad for medical attention so what's the fuss about?

93 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by amnesty7: 6:56am On Sep 12, 2015
In the end life will surely go on.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by SeverusSnape(m): 6:58am On Sep 12, 2015
Axeurdaddy:

This should obviously point out to you that the issue of downsizing in companies or financial institutions isn't peculiar to this administration alone, Its a cankerworm that has been embedded in the fabrics of our economy. Crying Wolf won't solve the problem.

Asides the issue of TSA, Banks downsize at intervals, A massive retrenchment exercise was called out in the banking sector last year, Was PMB the president then? My point is, Something needs to be done about Employment Generation so everyone doesn't rely on banks because the Banking Industry has been the largest employer of Labour for the past 4-5yrs.

Healthcare?? C'mon bro. Our hospitals have always been bad. Even GEJ and his Wife used to travel abroad for medical attention so what's the fuss about?
You're right, Banks always retrench from time to time, It happened during the time of Yaradua, Jonathan, Obasanjo and it's happening under Buhari. But didn't you see that report of sixty (60) thousand construction workers losing their jobs?, Did you read the report from the National Bureau of statistics some weeks back?...Isn't this an era of "change"?... things should be changing positively or at least remaining as it was; But alas!...It's getting worse.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by Jwhizzy(m): 7:02am On Sep 12, 2015
Axeurdaddy:

I admire your courage for continuing to respond to this troll. Banks with plans to lay off staff just found a convenient excuse. The truth is some of these banks strongly skewed their borrowings in favour of politicians and businesses which were pro-pdp in the last administration. Now that power has shifted hands, honey has stopped flowing in certain directions and loans have gone bad.

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by Nobody: 7:12am On Sep 12, 2015
Jwhizzy:

I admire your courage for continuing to respond to this troll. Banks with plans to lay off staff just found a convenient excuse. The truth is some of these banks strongly skewed their borrowings in favour of politicians and businesses which were pro-pdp in the last administration. Now that power has shifted hands, honey has stopped flowing in certain directions and loans have gone bad.

Lol. I just feel like a lecturer this morning, Hence the need to educate him. Thanks tho

My point exactly, Banks lay off workers all the time, They just found a perfect excuse this time

29 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by Nobody: 7:14am On Sep 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:

You're right, Banks always retrench from time to time, It happened during the time of Yaradua, Jonathan, Obasanjo and it's happening under Buhari. But didn't you see that report of sixty (60) thousand construction workers losing their jobs?, Did you read the report from the National Bureau of statistics some weeks back?...Isn't this an era of "change"?... things should be changing positively or at least remaining as it was; It's getting worse.

Did you know that over 70% of Nigeria's 80Million youths were unemployed during GEJ's administration??

35 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by frankyychiji(f): 7:16am On Sep 12, 2015
Gej issued that directive on TSA when he held sway but hadn't enforced its immediate compliance because the economic experts obviously saw that it will create more problems in trying to solve a problem hence Gej's approach in plugging the avenues of corruption gradually.
Buhari came and in his desperation to make a mark after just few days in office while dancing to the gallery set for him by America and co, he delved headlong into enforcing the TSA without due considerations to the short term and long-term effects of such actions.

At the end we are expecting nothing less than the loss of 100,000 jobs in the banking sector alone and other affected sectors will follow suit.
Sometimes, a good intention might turn out to create more problems than solving the problems.

More of military fiats like this with this kind of effect is on the way.
If Buhari had an economic team in place, I am sure they would have advised for a better approach to implementing the TSA.

Sudden loss of job leads to untimely death!

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by SeverusSnape(m): 7:19am On Sep 12, 2015
Axeurdaddy:

Did you know that over 70% of Nigeria's 80Million youths were unemployed during GEJ's administration??
Liar. You're a big liar.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by Nobody: 7:19am On Sep 12, 2015
Too bad.

But anything to prevent leakage,and robust economy is ok by me..

Its better to have a functioning economy,and have less people affected to achieve that,than postponing the evil days.

Those affected should take heart.

17 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by RichDad1(m): 7:19am On Sep 12, 2015
This is no news. It's a common knowledge that Bank job is one of the volatile and inducted job in the country today.
Banks been sacking since 2010.
Trying to associate it with the TSA is just myopic.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by dunkem21(m): 7:21am On Sep 12, 2015
RichDad1:
This is no news. It's a common knowledge that Bank job is one of the volatile and inducted job in the country today.
Banks been sacking since 2010.
Trying to associate it with the TSA is just myopic.

You're wrong. I already knew the TSA will sack bank marketers ..

..Or don't you know that those individual accounts make up the cabals of the bankers ..

..Some banks will feel the hit seriously ..

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by powerfulsettingz: 7:21am On Sep 12, 2015
Honestly Buhari administration is becoming hell ooooo, Chai I wish i had seen this bcoming before casting my vote

5 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by veekid(m): 7:21am On Sep 12, 2015
?
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by LMAyedun(m): 7:21am On Sep 12, 2015
Buhari's Policies doesn't seems friendly..

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by kennyddonn(m): 7:22am On Sep 12, 2015
h
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by NinaArsenal(f): 7:22am On Sep 12, 2015
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

7 Jobs You Can Do Without A University Degree / Richard Gbadebo's Death: FG Orders Immediate Seal Up Of WAW Factory / Is This True About People Working In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.