Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,836 members, 7,806,355 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade (4190 Views)

2 Car Struggles We Went Through That Kids Of Nowadays Won’t Understand / Mercedes-benz ML320 Vs Lexus RX300 / ML320 vs ML500 Which is better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by FLAKARIBE(m): 7:10am On Sep 12, 2015
ml320 pros and con
higher ground clearance. the sound system is out of this world..I have to be schooled in this area as the manual is not even helpful. I need a summary not a whole book just on the entertainment system. members of staff at work keep telling me "I have arrived"...I do not understand why. may be because its a status car.
so much engine power...wish to travel asap to have a feel of its max performance

.the temperature gauge is not fixed at half mark like my Camry and flunctuates between 80-100, but not more than 100 keep wondering if its going to overheat especially i n traffic. Fuel let's not go there......I definately buy more now...my trip to fuel station have increased by x2 to x3.
it is too old 15years, coming from an 03 and going back to 00...the newer the better.
bought new tyres...hmmm it is well

03 Camry
low fuel. fixed by all kazeems. reliable. dependable. parts available but OEMS are not as cheap as people say.
(part dealers- mostly recycled nigerian used/tokunbo/OEM)
bashed by danfo and instead of apologizing he said and I quote "na car be this abi, na moto"

1 Like

Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by fckmn24seg(m): 7:12am On Sep 12, 2015
Na choice
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by vani86: 9:05am On Sep 12, 2015
i think i would have stayed with the camry, i am officially scared of mercedes product these days, specifically their maintenance cost when ut has issues.

like the guy above me said,

Na choice
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:25am On Sep 12, 2015
Just keep both.
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by FlyboyZee: 11:02am On Sep 12, 2015
That's most def an upgrade. Most car makers ended that generation in 2002/'03. I won't be surprised if the '03 model of the ML is same thing. So most def, you have officially upgraded...
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by royallord1(m): 2:42pm On Sep 14, 2015
dude you went from a CAB (taxi) to an SUV... that is a definite upgrade.....
wen u use ur 03 camry and drive around the airport (ie, if u are based in lagos) dont u get flagged down like a taxi... grin
u just joined d league of extraordinary gentle men.... the benz league cool
for strength... benz
for durability...benz
for speed.... benz
for most prone to leg problem.... camry
for easily stolen.... camry
for most transmission/engine fault... camry
for second hand value...benz....
for fuel economy... camry...but if its d v6 u would hardly notice the difference in fuel consumption..
for handling.... benz
for parts availabilty and durability... benz...
i change my camry shocks at least thrice a year...along side stabilizers ...shaft heads and majorly all leg parts..... but on my benz boss my shocks take me thru the year... so i change my parts only once in a year on my benz.

5 Likes

Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by eherbal(m): 9:53pm On Sep 14, 2015
sorry to say this bro......... downgrade
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by baaliyah(m): 10:35pm On Sep 14, 2015
royallord1:
wen u use ur 03 camry and drive around the airport (ie, if u are based in lagos) dont u get flagged down like a taxi... grin
for strength... benz
for durability...benz
for speed.... benz
for fuel economy... camry...but if its d v6 u would hardly notice the difference in fuel consumption..
for handling.... benz
i change my camry shocks at least thrice a year...along side stabilizers ...shaft heads and majorly all leg parts..... but on my benz boss my shocks take me thru the year... so i change my parts only once in a year on my benz.

Trash
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by FlyboyZee: 6:05am On Sep 15, 2015
eherbal:
sorry to say this bro......... downgrade
Downgrade? How?

A 2003 Camry is the first production year car for the 2003-2006 Camry generation. While the ML the OP bought is from the 1998-2005 generation stock. I don't see how that is a downgrade.

Secondly, moving from a Toyota to a Mercedes Benz has always been an upgrade. I still keep wondering why you are thinking it is a downgrade.

Thirdly, from a mid size sedan to a mid size SUV definitely smirks of an upgrade, even to the blind, deaf and dumb.

What would you have said then, if the movement had been the other way round, say from the 2001 MB ML 320 to the 2003 Toyota Camry? Huh?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by redcliff: 6:14am On Sep 15, 2015
Stuphid thread.
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by kingreign(m): 6:40am On Sep 15, 2015
redcliff:
Stuphid thread.
As in eh, as e be so, e be like say small small pikins don full NL come dey spill into cartalk.
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by kingreign(m): 6:41am On Sep 15, 2015
baaliyah:

Trash
trash na understatement.... I no even get better proper word to to describe this Yeye jangbagantis thread.
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by royallord1(m): 8:02am On Sep 15, 2015
baaliyah:

Trash
and wats ur reason of calling my post a trash? u didnt raise any counter arguement to my post... that is a thrashy behaviour and a sign of unintelligent communication skills .
i own both products so i can clearly state with fact wat i experience with them..... if u disagree, tender ur valid arguement/points....

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by BTT(m): 1:10am On Sep 16, 2015
FLAKARIBE:
ml320 pros and con
higher ground clearance. the sound system is out of this world..I have to be schooled in this area as the manual is not even helpful. I need a summary not a whole book just on the entertainment system. members of staff at work keep telling me "I have arrived"...I do not understand why. may be because its a status car.
so much engine power...wish to travel asap to have a feel of its max performance

.the temperature gauge is not fixed at half mark like my Camry and flunctuates between 80-100, but not more than 100 keep wondering if its going to overheat especially i n traffic. Fuel let's not go there......I definately buy more now...my trip to fuel station have increased by x2 to x3.
it is too old 15years, coming from an 03 and going back to 00...the newer the better.
bought new tyres...hmmm it is well

03 Camry
low fuel. fixed by all kazeems. reliable. dependable. parts available but OEMS are not as cheap as people say.
(part dealers- mostly recycled nigerian used/tokunbo/OEM)
bashed by danfo and instead of apologizing he said and I quote "na car be this abi, na moto"

To know the answer to your enquiry, compare the price you bought each. That exactly is where the answer is.
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by royallord1(m): 9:43am On Sep 16, 2015
BTT:

To know the answer to your enquiry, compare the price you bought each. That exactly is where the answer is.
price wise... a tokunbo camry 2003 goes for 1.1/ 1.2m
while the ml 2001 goes for 1.2/1.3 m

the naija used for the camry goes for 600- 700k while ml goes for 750k-850k
if u put both for sale as naija used... d ml will b sold first
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by kingreign(m): 11:31am On Sep 16, 2015
royallord1:

the camry 03 wont go for 1.1 when its not smuggled. It would go for 1.3m and naija used will go for 700-800k. It will outsell an ML either used or toks by 5:1
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by royallord1(m): 12:29pm On Sep 16, 2015
kingreign:

the camry 03 wont go for 1.1 when its not smuggled. It would go for 1.3m and naija used will go for 700-800k. It will outsell an ML either used or toks by 5:1
i beg to disagree... with the rate nigerian roads are going bad especially in the southern and eastern part of the country... the need for an suv is on the rise people practically sell off their sedans and go for suv cos of ground clearance.... on that note the ml beats the camry....
the camry 2.2 will outsell the big for nothing any day anytime....
the camry 03 will by no means outsell the ml... with a price tag of less than a 100k in price diffrence.... if u have said the tiny lite i would have agreed with u but big for nothing....
the ml will outsell the camry... any day any time...
a friend has his 03 camry up for sale for over fourmonths... those that indicated interest where pricing 550k- 600 .... i told him to sell at 650k my guy refused, he said 850k last but nw even at 700k buyer no gree pay....
but an suv was sold 4days after it was put up for sale...
people arent goin for popular demand... but rather quality and durability... true car buyer dat knw their left from their right hardly consider fuel economy in comparism to car performance and maintainance... the ml is by far cheaper to maintain dan the camry 03... reasons being that if the ml shock cost 7k and the camry cost 6k... u would change ur ml shock once a year due to its quality but the camry even when u buy the best u would still change it atleast twice a year...bringing shocks cost for the year to 12k while ml is still 7k... dat makes the ml cheaper to maintain...
as for the price we just sold one at 1.2m complete custom papers....
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by vani86: 10:40am On Sep 17, 2015
royallord1:
for strength... benz
for durability...benz
for speed.... benz
for handling.... benz

totally childish and trash, go read up on reviews and durability about the 2 cars, toyota has always been heads above mercedes on reliability and durability.

in case you do not know, merc have been continually voted as one of the most unreliable cars as well as costly to maintain. yes they are more luxurious, yes it is an SUV. but when you start thinking that benx have more spare parts than a toyota shocked. thats when i know you are a clown

1 Like

Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by vani86: 10:45am On Sep 17, 2015
royallord1:

true, now factor in the cost of maintenance. what happens then.

benz is notoriously unreliable. i know cuz my pops have had the ML350 4matic. as comfortable as he is, the maintenance cost alone made him put it up for sale for 3 m. a car he got for over 6 m.

like i said, it is by choice, but if i had a choice btw the 2 cars, i will stick with the camry, knowing fully well their pros and cons.
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by royallord1(m): 11:57am On Sep 17, 2015
vani86:

true, now factor in the cost of maintenance. what happens then.

benz is notoriously unreliable. i know cuz my pops have had the ML350 4matic. as comfortable as he is, the maintenance cost alone made him put it up for sale for 3 m. a car he got for over 6 m.

like i said, it is by choice, but if i had a choice btw the 2 cars, i will stick with the camry, knowing fully well their pros and cons.

firstly... the ML350 is a 2006 model... i see no reason why u introduced it into the discussion...
the comparism is btw ml 2001 and camry 2003 ...
and i dare say ur friend is having problem with d car cos he didnt give the car the service and care it deserves.... my friend uses the 2007 ml500... d only complain he give is parts cost... but when he changes them he is sure for atleast 3years no quamps...

1 Like

Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by vani86: 12:04pm On Sep 17, 2015
royallord1:

firstly... the ML350 is a 2006 model... i see no reason why u introduced it into the discussion...
the comparism is btw ml 2001 and camry 2003 ...
and i dare say ur friend is having problem with d car cos he didnt give the car the service and care it deserves.... my friend uses the 2007 ml500... d only complain he give is parts cost... but when he changes them he is sure for atleast 3years no quamps...

seriously though, to avoid unnecessary bickering with you, read on up Mercedes reliability generally, then come talk to me. regardless of the era or decade, mercedes have been unreliable.
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by makavele: 12:23pm On Sep 17, 2015
vani86:

seriously though, to avoid unnecessary bickering with you, read on up Mercedes reliability generally, then come talk to me. regardless of the era or decade, mercedes have been unreliable.

how can you see the Merc is very unreliable . .
the truth is, no machine/engine, body part/electrical work is 100% efficient . . there is always a margin for error and breakdown . .
so if you don't treat it right or service it well, the margin increases and unreliability kicks in
every motor manufacturer have their pros and cons
but i;ll take the Benz over the Camry any day; anytime
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by royallord1(m): 1:30pm On Sep 17, 2015
vani86:

totally childish and trash, go read up on reviews and durability about the 2 cars, toyota has always been heads above mercedes on reliability and durability.

in case you do not know, merc have been continually voted as one of the most unreliable cars as well as costly to maintain. yes they are more luxurious, yes it is an SUV. but when you start thinking that benx have more spare parts than a toyota shocked. thats when i know you are a clown
consider this...
engine cost for camry i4-v6 -110k-160k
for ml i4 cost 40k v6 cost 80-90k
gearbox cost for camry 70- 85k
for ml 40-65k
brainbox for camry 45k average cost
for ml 30k average cost
this are the cost comparism of the major items... u decide which is cheaper...
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by vani86: 3:10pm On Sep 17, 2015
royallord1:

consider this...
engine cost for camry i4-v6 -110k-160k
for ml i4 cost 40k v6 cost 80-90k
gearbox cost for camry 70- 85k
for ml 40-65k
brainbox for camry 45k average cost
for ml 30k average cost
this are the cost comparism of the major items... u decide which is cheaper...

you are very mis-informed/

pls which ml are you really talking about. Ml 350 gear box for 40-65 k

you are a massive joker

1 Like

Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by vani86: 3:12pm On Sep 17, 2015
makavele:

how can you see the Merc is very unreliable . .
the truth is, no machine/engine, body part/electrical work is 100% efficient . . there is always a margin for error and breakdown . .
so if you don't treat it right or service it well, the margin increases and unreliability kicks in
every motor manufacturer have their pros and cons
but i;ll take the Benz over the Camry any day; anytime

its your choice,

and yes, no car lasts forever, my point though is when it comes to a direct comparison on reliability, spare part availability, ease of repair camry is way better than a mercedes
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by royallord1(m): 4:26pm On Sep 17, 2015
vani86:

you are very mis-informed/

pls which ml are you really talking about. Ml 350 gear box for 40-65 k

you are a massive joker
wat is ur obsession with ml350.... have u forgotten the comparism is between ml320 2001 model and the camry 2003... stop giving me reasons to ponder if u suffer from an attention disorder..... dis is the second time you are bringing up the ml350 into the discussion....

do u think i dont knw 2007 camry gearbox is 450k...... did i bring it in... no ... dat isnt the bases of d discussion...pls dont derail the thread...

d ml230 gearbox goes for 40k
d ml320 gearbox is not more dan 65k

1 Like

Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 18, 2015
You've upgraded my brother, you no longer drive moto but machine.

1 Like

Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by IdaraCHODB(m): 7:59pm On Sep 18, 2015
royallord1:

i beg to disagree... with the rate nigerian roads are going bad especially in the southern and eastern part of the country... the need for an suv is on the rise people practically sell off their sedans and go for suv cos of ground clearance.... on that note the ml beats the camry....
the camry 2.2 will outsell the big for nothing any day anytime....
the camry 03 will by no means outsell the ml... with a price tag of less than a 100k in price diffrence.... if u have said the tiny lite i would have agreed with u but big for nothing....
the ml will outsell the camry... any day any time...
a friend has his 03 camry up for sale for over fourmonths... those that indicated interest where pricing 550k- 600 .... i told him to sell at 650k my guy refused, he said 850k last but nw even at 700k buyer no gree pay....
but an suv was sold 4days after it was put up for sale...
people arent goin for popular demand... but rather quality and durability... true car buyer dat knw their left from their right hardly consider fuel economy in comparism to car performance and maintainance... the ml is by far cheaper to maintain dan the camry 03... reasons being that if the ml shock cost 7k and the camry cost 6k... u would change ur ml shock once a year due to its quality but the camry even when u buy the best u would still change it atleast twice a year...bringing shocks cost for the year to 12k while ml is still 7k... dat makes the ml cheaper to maintain... as for the price we just sold one at 1.2m complete custom papers....

Permit me to digress, but i had to pick on the bolded.

I stand to be corrected but if one needs to buy shocks up to three times a year, then those must be Nigerian refurbished shocks aka tokunbo ( if you have seen how our boys breath life into dead shocks, no one will tell you to buy new since shocks are not just a comfort feature but a safety feature), I doubt, I really doubt that brand name shocks bought brand new would so degrade that they would be replaced up to three times even if they clocked between 50,000 miles to 100,000 miles in that interval which is a very big bet since the average driver does anywhere between 12,000 miles and 36,000 miles a year.

Every naira spent buying brand new shocks is a naira well spent in terms of a price/value ratio and safety/cost ratio not to talk of time/money ratio and even peace of mind

But its a no-brainer the prices you mention cannot buy new shocks! But to me this is yet another example where spending a little turns out to not so worthwhile in the long run.
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by royallord1(m): 8:28pm On Sep 18, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

Permit me to digress, but i had to pick on the bolded.

I stand to be corrected but if one needs to buy shocks up to three times a year, then those must be Nigerian refurbished shocks aka tokunbo ( if you have seen how our boys breath life into dead shocks, no one will tell you to buy new since shocks are not just a comfort feature but a safety feature), I doubt, I really doubt that brand name shocks bought brand new would so degrade that they would be replaced up to three times even if they clocked between 50,000 miles to 100,000 miles in that interval which is a very big bet since the average driver does anywhere between 12,000 miles and 36,000 miles a year.

Every naira spent buying brand new shocks is a naira well spent in terms of a price/value ratio and safety/cost ratio not to talk of time/money ratio and even peace of mind

But its a no-brainer the prices you mention cannot buy new shocks! But to me this is yet another example where spending a little turns out to not so worthwhile in the long run.
i have bought new ones for my car..... the same poor performance.... its even worse... ofcourse with the existance of substandard parts i bet i have been purchasing fakes really dont knw!.
the shocks in my camry are direct toks.. bought at 6000 each from a very dependable seller.... i think d only way to ensure originality of parts is to order them.... even dat has its own issues ...
Re: I Went From 2003 Toyota Camry I4 To 2001 Mercedes Ml320: Upgrade Or Downgrade by kingreign(m): 9:47pm On Sep 18, 2015
royallord1:

i have bought new ones for my car..... the same poor performance.... its even worse... ofcourse with the existance of substandard parts i bet i have been purchasing fakes really dont knw!.
the shocks in my camry are direct toks.. bought at 6000 each from a very dependable seller.... i think d only way to ensure originality of parts is to order them.... even dat has its own issues ...
What's the name and year model of the car, how much you brought the struts?

(1) (Reply)

Original Autohex II Scan Tool For BMW Diagnose And Programming Free Shipping / Let's Race!! / Which Local Govt Is Tripple "A" Pls?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.