Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,578 members, 7,801,659 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:40 PM

Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. - Business (47) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. (386381 Views)

7 Must-have Qualities If You Want To Succeed In Any Online Business / 7 Ultimate Ways To Succeed In Your Online Business!!!!! / Withdraw From Fiverr, Paypal, Upwork, Freelancer, Elance, With Confidence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (190) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by victor101(m): 4:25pm On Sep 23, 2016
tonyx4x44:
Just got my first $500+ (Expert level) job from a very polite client cheesy

A moderately easy job I would have done gladly for $100

I just sat in front of my PC repeating WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW for like ten minutes grin

Oga Victor1 thanks a million for this thread. You deserve a champagne bottle... ow I can't afford it yet, make I dey save.

Fellow newbies see am as motivation.

We thank God for his Goodness. The best is yet to come.

2 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Exoticstan(m): 6:38pm On Sep 23, 2016
I understand how you feel. Though my first three figure job was a $100 task, I was very excited. Let's hope for better.

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by stagger: 6:55pm On Sep 23, 2016
tonyx4x44:

I just sat in front of my PC repeating WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW for like ten minutes grin

Oga Victor1 thanks a million for this thread. You deserve a champagne bottle... ow I can't afford it yet, make I dey save.

Bravo. Most of my own work is from repeat jobs: a 75% rate. Ensure you exceed your client's expectations and watch how repeat jobs will be flooding in. Congrats.

5 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by justi4jesu(f): 5:29am On Sep 24, 2016
justi4jesu:
Sell your Payoneer and Skrill Funds to us and get credited within Minutes.

Send us your Funds and get credited with Naira into your Bank Account within minutes of receiving your funds.

Payoneer/skrill Rate 370 to $1

Receiving Paypal Rate 320 to $1

https://www.nairaland.com/2628692/withdraw-etc-click-here-302
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by tonyx4x44(m): 5:56am On Sep 24, 2016
stagger:

Bravo. Most of my own work is from repeat jobs: a 75% rate. Ensure you exceed your client's expectations and watch how repeat jobs will be flooding in. Congrats.

thanks bro, noted.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Exoticstan(m): 1:22pm On Sep 24, 2016
stagger:

Bro, from your experience, does the "Top Rated" badge necessarily attract more clients? Especially as a Nigerian?
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Gmajor(m): 2:34pm On Sep 24, 2016
guys how can I offer 20k real instagram followers.facebook page likes Google Plus like etc
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by RedCapChief(m): 2:41pm On Sep 24, 2016
First,
tonyx4x44:
finally finished reading the thread... whew embarassed quite informative.

Account creation mode... the one I created in 2013 for fun is probably dead... hehehe by now I for don be guru o...

Well, according to a chinese proverb: "the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now"

To all thread contributors and trolls; I salute una!

Then,
tonyx4x44:

Wow!
The result of time and hard work is success.
This is great motivation.

Congratulations

2 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by stagger: 2:50pm On Sep 24, 2016
Exoticstan:
Bro, from your experience, does the "Top Rated" badge necessarily attract more clients? Especially as a Nigerian?

From my own experience, NO. Again, you have to understand that MORE clients does not necessarily translate into MORE MONEY. For instance, there is a lady on Upwork who has worked for some of the big banks like JP Morgan who earns $200 an hour for doing financial modelling. She has worked less than 20 jobs on that site and the least she has made on a single project is $1,500. Technically speaking, she can make more money than someone who does 1,000 projects and earns $2 per 500 words.

Get my drift? So more projects does not necessarily mean more jobs.

5 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 3:13pm On Sep 24, 2016
To the rude idiots here thinking they are the only ones making money carry on. I emailed you not to beg but to do business. You can't help yourself talk less of others. Don't talk to people anyhow.

4 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by ibroxworl1(m): 3:51pm On Sep 24, 2016
I get my first job yesterday $20 after many bids but now I can't bid again please till when?
less I forget am in to graphic and web design how deos hourly works?
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Chyvy(f): 5:18pm On Sep 24, 2016
Exoticstan:

Yes. It certainly does, at least speaking from my own experience. You can market your status in your proposals. And like Stagger rightly noted, it's not by the number of projects, but by what I call "price per project". But the top rated status certainly helps to increase the price you charge per project. Ever since I earned that status, I charge between 4 and 10 dollar per 100 words, and my clients keep coming back for more. Unless you're more concerned about the volume of work, then it shouldn't matter.

BTW, congrats @Tony, I remember quite vividly my very first job. It was an $800 job. I was so elated I couldn't work for the next 2 months. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by AgoraRoad(m): 5:21pm On Sep 24, 2016
19 Lessons From Having Billionaire Mark Cuban Over At The House
Tai recently summarized all he has learned from his mentors and compiled them into a series of ‘mentor shortcuts’ he calls, "The 67 Steps." here http:///1UTiHDK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZHCgKHAwjQ
Self-made billionaires are no joke. Billionaire Mark Cuban ($3 billion net worth, Shark Tank, Dallas Mavericks owner) dropped by the house today for 4 hours to play some basketball, talk books, and share some future trends to invest in.

I counted how many genius things he told Tai Lopez. It was 19 different points. He's a damn smart man - one of the most observant and aware people I've seen in a long time. His reaction when Tai asked him how it felt to become a billionaire cracked me up, haha.

One powerful point is that you only have to win once. Then everyone will forget your past mistakes. So true... Listen in and you will see why Mark's a game-changer.
The full article and the links to the 67 steps are here http://thebizness.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=204

For those of you in the 67 Steps Program, Tai recorded some private stuff with Mark just for you so go check it out. If you aren't in my program, you can apply for "The 67 Steps."
The full article and the links to the 67 steps are here http://thebizness.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=204
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Exoticstan(m): 7:51pm On Sep 24, 2016
stagger:

From my own experience, NO. Again, you have to understand that MORE clients does not necessarily translate into MORE MONEY. For instance, there is a lady on Upwork who has worked for some of the big banks like JP Morgan who earns $200 an hour for doing financial modelling. She has worked less than 20 jobs on that site and the least she has made on a single project is $1,500. Technically speaking, she can make more money than someone who does 1,000 projects and earns $2 per 500 words.

Get my drift? So more projects does not necessarily mean more jobs.
Just as I thought. Thanks stagger. You definitely answered my question. But one last question: you use your real Nigerian identity right?
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Exoticstan(m): 7:59pm On Sep 24, 2016
Chyvy:

Yes. It certainly does, at least speaking from my own experience. You can market your status in your proposals. And like Stagger rightly noted, it's not by the number of projects, but by what I call "price per project". But the top rated status certainly helps to increase the price you charge per project. Ever since I earned that status, I charge between 4 and 10 dollar per 100 words, and my clients keep coming back for more. Unless you're more concerned about the volume of work, then it shouldn't matter.

BTW, congrats @Tony, I remember quite vividly my very first job. It was an $800 job. I was so elated I couldn't work for the next 2 months. cheesy
I definitely agree that the "Top Rated" badge will play a great role in submitting proposals. Again, if you don't mind, are you using your real Nigerian identity? I seem to progress slowly, so I just need to know.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Chyvy(f): 8:33pm On Sep 24, 2016
Yes @ExoticStan

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by stagger: 9:45pm On Sep 24, 2016
Exoticstan:
Just as I thought. Thanks stagger. You definitely answered my question. But one last question: you use your real Nigerian identity right?

Back then on Elance, identity verification was required. Else how would I have collected my monies in my domiciliary account here in Naija?

3 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by justi4jesu(f): 5:30am On Sep 25, 2016
justi4jesu:
Sell your Payoneer and Skrill Funds to us and get credited within Minutes.

Send us your Funds and get credited with Naira into your Bank Account within minutes of receiving your funds.

Payoneer/skrill Rate 380 to $1

Receiving Paypal Rate 320 to $1

https://www.nairaland.com/2628692/withdraw-etc-click-here-302

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Exoticstan(m): 8:07am On Sep 25, 2016
Chyvy:
Yes @ExoticStan
That's good motivation here. Gradually, I'm approaching my first $1000. I believe it's possible to achieve before November ends. I'll keep the house informed.

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Exoticstan(m): 8:09am On Sep 25, 2016
stagger:

Back then on Elance, identity verification was required. Else how would I have collected my monies in my domiciliary account here in Naija?
Thanks Stagger. May be I'd have gone really far if I was patient enough with elance when I joined in 2014.

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by tonyx4x44(m): 8:57am On Sep 25, 2016
Exoticstan:
Thanks Stagger. May be I'd have gone really far if I was patient enough with elance when I joined in 2014.

Patience and persistent is key in everything bro, not just freelancing.

Goodluck with your $1000 target o. But why don't you press yourself more?

Set the target for October ending. Then ask yourself, what do I need to do, read, or learn, who do I need to see to meet that target?

One of my favorite quotes which is also self authored is: fail fast, fail often, try again.

Goodluck bro, me self they target October ending for that 1k. I need a top rated badge in November cool
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Exoticstan(m): 9:13am On Sep 25, 2016
tonyx4x44:

Patience and persistent is key in everything bro, not just freelancing.

Goodluck with your $1000 target o. But why don't you press yourself more?

Set the target for October ending. Then ask yourself, what do I need to do, read, or learn, who do I need to see to meet that target?

One of my favorite quotes which is also self authored is: fail fast, fail often, try again.

Goodluck bro, me self they target October ending for that 1k. I need a top rated badge in November cool
That's a better challenge tonyx44x. Let's do this.

2 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by G12(m): 11:59am On Sep 25, 2016
Happy Sunday... Longest time
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by curatorX: 2:59pm On Sep 25, 2016
Stagger is a Legend!!!
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by samtobi(m): 12:47am On Sep 26, 2016
I'm looking for someone I can outsource some articles to pretty fast. The article is a review about a fitness program online.
I'm willing to pay #1000 for 1000 words for the right candidate.
The article must be 100% unique(Copyscape checked), free from grammatical errors and properly researched.
If you're a go for this job, please contact me through my signature with samples of previous work you've done.
The right candidate will get repeated work from me with better pay.
This is just a trial article to know your writing skill. If this work goes well, you'll get higher pay in subsequent work.

Thanks
Looking forward to working with you
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Exoticstan(m): 10:11am On Sep 26, 2016
samtobi:
I'm looking for someone I can outsource some articles to pretty fast. The article is a review about a fitness program online.
The article must be 100% unique(Copyscape checked), free from grammatical errors and properly researched.
If you're a go for this job, please contact me through my signature with samples of previous work you've done.
This is just a trial article to know your writing skill. If this work goes well, you'll get higher pay in subsequent work.

Thanks
Contact me for all writing related jobs. See my thread below https://www.nairaland.com/3362721/outsource-all-writing-related-jobs
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nasa28(m): 5:52pm On Sep 26, 2016
My people, Since i joined upwork, i have been working hard, i stay online virtually every time i'm free, I bid on every job i feel i can do but yet to get hired.

please is there anything i got wrong ? pls Victor, stagger and others i need your help........... Help a brother in Need

my profile is

http://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~01a67aa15870aa1df5/
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Exoticstan(m): 6:31pm On Sep 26, 2016
Nasa28:
My people, Since i joined upwork, i have been working hard, i stay online virtually every time i'm free, I bid on every job i feel i can do but yet to get hired.

please is there anything i got wrong ? pls Victor, stagger and others i need your help........... Help a brother in Need

my profile is

http://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~01a67aa15870aa1df5/
I tried viewingyour profile but the link won't open. Try answering some of these questions and see how far you go:
1. Are the skills on your profile related? Do you have skills from various categories?
2. Do you write your proposals with acceptable English?
3. Do you bid on jobs related to the skills you flaunt?
4. Do you read the proposals at all? (Some clients want you to start with a phrase or word to show you read the job description)
5. Is your profile complete? (The more stuffs you have there the better)
6. Is your information consistent? (Do you tell them you have 5 years experience in the proposal while your profile says 10 years?)
7. Do you attach samples while submitting proposals?
8. Are your proposed prices reasonable?
9. Do you use the same proposal to apply to all jobs?
10. Is your profile complete?

There are many technicalities to understand while submitting proposals especially as a newbie. However, what helps me get them to act, at least to interview me - which usually converts to a contract - is to make them test me if they doubt my aptitude. Of course, if you don't have enough job history, feed back, impressive Job Success Score and whatnot, they will doubt you.

Let's start from here.

cc: victor101
cc: stagger

Your expert contributions needed.

2 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Hibukunholluwah(f): 7:03pm On Sep 26, 2016
samtobi:

Thanks
please, I am interested.
My email is angiekomolafe@yahoo.com
thanks
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by victor101(m): 9:37pm On Sep 26, 2016
Exoticstan:
I tried viewingyour profile but the link won't open. Try answering some of these questions and see how far you go:
1. Are the skills on your profile related? Do you have skills from various categories?
4. Do you read the proposals at all? (Some clients want you to start with a phrase or word to show you read the job description)
6. Is your information consistent? (Do you tell them you have 5 years experience in the proposal while your profile says 10 years?)

There are many technicalities to understand while submitting proposals especially as a newbie. However, what helps me get them to act, at least to interview me - which usually converts to a contract - is to make them test me if they doubt my aptitude. Of course, if you don't have enough job history, feed back, impressive Job Success Score and whatnot, they will doubt you.

Let's start from here.

@Exoticstan you've said it all. Let me add from experience. Since Upwork had long Upgraded their ways of ranking freelancers on JSS (Job Success Score) Rising Talent Badge and the almighty TOP RATED STATUS, newbies has been finding it difficult to get jobs. "I'll let one secret out". If you'd just open a new profile and within two weeks of bidding, you have not been awarded a RISING TALENT BADGE. My friend just know that your Upwork hustle will be as long as River Nile.

SO my advice for newbies:

1.Tailor your profile to focus on a service line, If you're into Academic writing let it be all about Academics (you can garnish related skills with it, but let it be at that).

2. Don't even bother, plying you trade on Upwork as a Entry Level freelancer (you'll be frustrated), so if you don't have the intermediate or expert skills just be patient to upgrade your skills further.

3. For RISING TALENT BADGE. I've discovered that after you've opened an Upwork profile, Upwork goes further to look at your service description, relevant qualifications and class. If your profile has got the bite, your proposal write-ups/composition would be observed for some period, should it be on point consistently, a rising talent should be smiling right on your profile within 1-2 weeks of account opening (this is just my observation, perhaps not objective).

With a good start biding on a Rising Talent Badge, you get to compete with veterans in your niche unlike placing a bid as just an ordinary Upworker. So aim for a Rising Talent Badge.

4 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nasa28(m): 10:54pm On Sep 26, 2016
Yes to all, except No 7 and 9.

my category is Admin Support and i have never submitted any proposal outside my skill.

my profile is 100% complete , I have written 3 different test; English spelling 4.9/5(top 20%), Excel 2007 3.9/5(top 20%)
and UK English basic skill 3.10/5 (below average which i decided to hide from my profile).

my proposals are normally tailored to the job description and i go to the extent of bidding below the budget as many clients would say the need freelancer with the lowest bid.

I completed my profile on 15th September which is close to two weeks.

for samples, i don't normally add samples to my proposals because some of the files are confidential data . should i still go ahead and add them?

Exoticstan:

Let's start from here.

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (190) (Reply)

Youwin Business Competition 2013 / Simple Secret Of Buying Stuff At Idumota Market Lagos / Making Regular Income Publishing Amazon Kindle Ebooks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.