Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,408 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. - Business (68) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. (386940 Views)

7 Must-have Qualities If You Want To Succeed In Any Online Business / 7 Ultimate Ways To Succeed In Your Online Business!!!!! / Withdraw From Fiverr, Paypal, Upwork, Freelancer, Elance, With Confidence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (190) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by incredibledan(m): 2:03pm On Nov 16, 2016
Hi
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by 3RNEST(m): 4:32pm On Nov 16, 2016
Upcoming up soon... UPWORK mind blowing tips for new/oldbies.... Stay connected bcuz am working on it.

Before that... New UPWORK users Collect 80 connect why old users Collect 60...UPWORK ojoro..... Lolz
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by dotmans(m): 4:48pm On Nov 16, 2016
I need $2000 Skrill funds @ 445 per $
i need $2000 Neteller funds @ 450 per $

I buy all your itunes gift card at the best rates.

Instant payment and escrow is allowed. Call, text or Whatsapp me lets transact good people

Contact on my signature
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 9:09pm On Nov 16, 2016
I need fiverr gig reviews. I will pay the naira equivalent.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by victor101(m): 10:39pm On Nov 16, 2016
ranson:
Hello house,
Is it appropriate to agree to a discussion on Skype if someone suggested it on upwork platform? I need a response ASAP from you gurus so that I will not ignorantly break the rules.

Yes, but then, when the interview is successful, let the client know that payment must be done on Upwork.

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by victor101(m): 10:41pm On Nov 16, 2016
victor101:
I'll like to rewrite some texts. I need a re-writting expert who's interested to please send me an email at aprofessoratnaijdotcom

Vacancy closed.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by uncleshege(m): 6:00am On Nov 17, 2016
Mikejordan:

Hello, I have $1400 (Payoneer) I want to sell at #420/$. Please contact me on watsapp 08160613725

U still get payoneer for sale?
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:10am On Nov 17, 2016
victor101:

Yes, but then, when the interview is successful, let the client know that payment must be done on Upwork.

I don't get people's obsession with working on Upwork. You can just draft a contract. If they don't pay, there are freelancing laws on your side.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by 3RNEST(m): 9:04am On Nov 17, 2016
victor101:

I am in a mess rite now.. My client suggested we should go off UPWORK I did agree to him including paying me off UPWORK omo as I dey talk to u UPWORK block our account.... I didnt remember that messeges on UPWORK is not private... Their security team dont sleep at work 247... But I know what to do... Brb.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by kaycodes: 9:29am On Nov 17, 2016
3RNEST:

I am in a mess rite now.. My client suggested we should go off UPWORK I did agree to him including paying me off UPWORK omo as I dey talk to u UPWORK block our account.... I didnt remember that messeges on UPWORK is not private... Their security team dont sleep at work 247... But I know what to do... Brb.

Lolz, how can you be discussing how to break into a man's house inside his sitting room? grin grin

The client should have used the upwork.com opt-out feature, and you should have suggested it to him. Problem is, client can open a new account, but you will have to build your reputation from scratch.

I hope you can get this resolved.

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by kaycodes: 9:32am On Nov 17, 2016
princesana:
Please, I'm interested and would love to join Andela, please kindly put me through and what are the steps I have to take.... Thank you so much. Anna

Visit the Andela website. Hope you have a good working laptop, because you will be sent some home study materials after application. Finally be sure you are passionate about coding. All the best.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by 3RNEST(m): 9:45am On Nov 17, 2016
kaycodes:

Lolz, how can you be discussing how to break into a man's house inside his sitting room? grin grin

The client should have used the upwork.com opt-out feature, and you should have suggested it to him. Problem is, client can open a new account, but you will have to build your reputation from scratch.

I hope you can get this resolved.
KC
Lolz funny enuff I did though of that but sincerely I dont feel it that much bcuz I already have direct Contact with my client so no dulling fck UPWORK their father lap... Reputation ni.... Who E epp?? I have multiple account that I cant remember their pw...

Lesson : Thou shall not use UPWORK chat box bcuz its not private..... Better carry them enter skype or whatsApp chat... smiley
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by victor101(m): 10:35am On Nov 17, 2016
HeavenlyBang:

I don't get people's obsession with working on Upwork. You can just draft a contract. If they don't pay, there are freelancing laws on your side.

My brother, kindly assist me with a contract template I can use.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by victor101(m): 10:46am On Nov 17, 2016
3RNEST:

I think the client has been flagged by someone (a freelancer) for suggesting that earlier. So you happen to fall into the mix when he's been investigated. Next time, if a client suggest paying off Upwork, tell them to first hire you on Upwork, then subsequent projects can be done outside, I think Upwork allows that. However, I strongly suggest Payment via the platform after all you're accumulating JSS and climbing the ladder of success in your business, sticking with the rules.

4 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by victor101(m): 11:01am On Nov 17, 2016
3RNEST:

KC
Lolz funny enuff I did though of that but sincerely I dont feel it that much bcuz I already have direct Contact with my client so no dulling fck UPWORK their father lap... Reputation ni.... Who E epp?? I have multiple account that I cant remember their pw...

Lesson : Thou shall not use UPWORK chat box bcuz its not private..... Better carry them enter skype or whatsApp chat... smiley

Well from my own experience most client that quickly tell you to come over to Skype, WhatsApp, emails are just unserious. They will end up asking for free samples, and waste your precious time. So be cautious when transacting with these kind of client, do your own research on them, are they new to upwork? have they hired before? if yes, what is their hiring percentage? do they have jobs post lined-up without hiring? What is his hourly rate on his profile? has he hired any one before with the price I intend to bid at? Does he give excellent review?

These and others should let you know the kind of client you're transacting with. Truly Upwork has made freelancing easier for us. Just their 20% deductions made it quite frustrating, well if you know your onion, clients should pay for that.

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:10am On Nov 17, 2016
victor101:

My brother, kindly assist me with a contract template I can use.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-n-ZmjaMx3BY0RLemhUM0hueDg/view

Edit it carefully.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by 3RNEST(m): 11:11am On Nov 17, 2016
victor101:

Well from my own experience most client that quickly tell you to come over to Skype, WhatsApp, emails are just unserious. They will end up asking for free samples, and waste your precious time. So be cautious when transacting with these kind of client, do your own research on them, are they new to upwork? have they hired before? if yes, what is their hiring percentage? do they have jobs post lined-up without hiring? What is his hourly rate on his profile? has he hired any one before with the price I indeed to bid at? Does he give excellent review?

These and others should let you know the kind of client you're transacting with. Truly Upwork has made freelancing easier for us. Just their 20% deductions made it quite frustrating, well if you know your onion, clients should pay for that.
Victor now u see my point.... 20% deduction after all your stress.... I dash them that account... Beside I dont have 1kb in it just my 5star review that what am regreting.... Have to start from the beginning anyway I know what to do I will toast them to give me my account back... Their support teams are cool...
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:14am On Nov 17, 2016
victor101:

Well from my own experience most client that quickly tell you to come over to Skype, WhatsApp, emails are just unserious. They will end up asking for free samples, and waste your precious time. So be cautious when transacting with these kind of client, do your own research on them, are they new to upwork? have they hired before? if yes, what is their hiring percentage? do they have jobs post lined-up without hiring? What is his hourly rate on his profile? has he hired any one before with the price I intend to bid at? Does he give excellent review?

Urgh, I hate some clients. She said we should discuss on Skype, but she was really shady. After getting her to agree to work with a contract, as soon as I sent the contract, she blocked me, lmao. Good riddance. Scammers are everywhere now.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by 3RNEST(m): 11:14am On Nov 17, 2016

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by victor101(m): 11:14am On Nov 17, 2016
3RNEST:

Victor now u see my point.... 20% deduction after all your stress.... I dash them that account... Beside I dont have 1kb in it just my 5star review that what am regreting.... Have to start from the beginning anyway I know what to do I will toast them to give me my account back... Their support teams are cool...

Have you done identity verification in the account?If yes, then most likely they'll yield to your plea
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by victor101(m): 11:19am On Nov 17, 2016
HeavenlyBang:

Urgh, I hate some clients. She said we should discuss on Skype, but she was really shady. After getting her to agree to work with a contract, as soon as I sent the contract, she blocked me, lmao. Good riddance. Scammers are everywhere now.

Having an employer to sign your contract as an employee(freelancer). How does it work? I need to learn the legal technicalities, and what law covers me to do that.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:24am On Nov 17, 2016
victor101:

Having an employer to sign your contract as an employer(freelancer). How does it work? I need to learn the legal technicalities, and what law covers me to do that.

In the United States at least, it's just as legally binding as any other document with signatures. To be exact, even email correspondence is acceptable legal proof. New York just passed a Freelancer bill last week, and other states have something similar, so you can pretty much find a way to Bleep them up.

That's only if they're actually in the US tho. If it's a Kenyan scammer or something else, your contact will probably scare him off. I'd also advice to do background checks on your clients, but you obviously have that covered.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by 3RNEST(m): 11:35am On Nov 17, 2016
victor101:

Have you done identity verification in the account?If yes, then most likely they'll yield to your plea
They said permanently block... sad
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by victor101(m): 11:42am On Nov 17, 2016
HeavenlyBang:

In the United States at least, it's just as legally binding as any other document with signatures. To be exact, even email correspondence is acceptable legal proof. New York just passed a Freelancer bill last week, and other states have something similar, so you can pretty much find a way to Bleep them up.

That's only if they're actually in the US tho. If it's a Kenyan scammer or something else, your contact will probably scare him off. I'd also advice to do background checks on your clients, but you obviously have that covered.

Alright. Thanks for the template!

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by delishpot: 11:52am On Nov 17, 2016
frankmoney:
I thought they give 60 connect monthly

They do give. Maybe you missed the fact date the new points are due. Wait for a day or two and you will get your new points
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by muhammed001(m): 12:01pm On Nov 17, 2016
Good day everyone,

please somebody should help me. I have been on upwork for months now, bidding with customised proposals to specific client, but till now no client wants to interview me talk less of giving me any job. All I see is project rewarded to another freelancer. I have only completed one job.

this is my profile link https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~018dfd73776f1ac9a4
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by kaycodes: 12:37pm On Nov 17, 2016
muhammed001:
Good day everyone,

please somebody should help me. I have been on upwork for months now, bidding with customised proposals to specific client, but till now no client wants to interview me talk less of giving me any job. All I see is project rewarded to another freelancer. I have only completed one job.

Having taken a look at your profile, you may need to re write your profile statement, using appropriate buzz words in your area of expertise. Another thing to note is that designers are much on upwork, so you don't have to give up, it's only a matter of time. I sent over 100 applications before I got an interview invite sef. At least in your case no plenty interview is really needed. I'll try and share my experience on upwork so far. As you keep applying, you'll begin to learn what works and what doesn't. Wish you all the best of luck, you'll need plenty of it.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by 3RNEST(m): 1:50pm On Nov 17, 2016
muhammed001:
Good day everyone,

Your profile and test score matter alot in UPWORK areana but I have a mind blowing cover letter that will bring clients knocking at your door to work for them..

Tips No. 1 if u are new to UPWORK search for new client then do FREE work for them to seek their interest then do follow up.. Client are human not robot... Old client already has their customers so if u keep sending your connect to them u will not get any interview in the next 100 Years to come lolz....

Tips working since 1914.....
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by incredibledan(m): 2:03pm On Nov 17, 2016
Bro don't give up...I know its hard to cope without orders. And I don't want to he in that situation because you will almost give up.

But people are making money u should tell urself. That means u are doing something wrong.

Fiverr is not all about using female profile from what I have noticed. After all its not a social dating site.

Buyer respect brands...some times instead of using a female profile. Use a company like profile...create awesome gigs with quality pics , if possible videos. Buy Ur way up.. 2-3 reviews.

And just pray God is with you. The competition is really high... And only the tough can make it.

Another thing is the service you are rendering. Mksr sure u are rendering what you can command. Not what will command you.

Most of you say u are a graphic designer and all u do is copy logo from Google. I am sorry but what I mean is u must know Ur work well.

You don't have yo be the best graphic designer. Just pick one thing u know u can do well. Maybe image splash for example is easy to do. Just do it and do it well only then can fiverr help you.

I didn't mean to talk this much actually so let me stop for now.

But guy don't give up...seek for solutions
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:11pm On Nov 17, 2016
3RNEST:

Your profile and test score matter alot in UPWORK areana but I have a mind blowing cover letter that will bring clients knocking at your door to work for them..

Tips No. 1 if u are new to UPWORK search for new client then do FREE work for them to seek their interest then do follow up.. Client are human not robot... Old client already has their customers so if u keep sending your connect to them u will not get any interview in the next 100 Years to come lolz....

Tips working since 1914.....

Kindly stop this. This is the kind of attitude that's making the market terrible for freelance writers. Know your worth, and don't ever do free work. Professional freelance writers earn as much as 35c per word, while people will be advocating 0.5c per word. Why shouldn't you earn as much as the guys who earn big? If you're not confident in the quality of your work, leave the business.

Sorry if this came off as an attack on you, but I really hate the average third worlder's attitude towards the freelance market.

8 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by ibrash600: 5:03pm On Nov 17, 2016
HeavenlyBang:

Kindly stop this. This is the kind of attitude that's making the market terrible for freelance writers. Know your worth, and don't ever do free work. Professional freelance writers earn as much as 35c per word, while people will be advocating 0.5c per word. Why shouldn't you earn as much as the guys who earn big? If you're not confident in the quality of your work, leave the business.

Sorry if this came off as an attack on you, but I really hate the average third worlder's attitude towards the freelance market.

Well said boss

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Profcamsey(m): 5:11pm On Nov 17, 2016
Smooth transaction with Exceltech. He is the best. Dope rate

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (190) (Reply)

Youwin Business Competition 2013 / Simple Secret Of Buying Stuff At Idumota Market Lagos / Making Regular Income Publishing Amazon Kindle Ebooks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.