Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,627 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. - Business (89) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. (386190 Views)

7 Must-have Qualities If You Want To Succeed In Any Online Business / 7 Ultimate Ways To Succeed In Your Online Business!!!!! / Withdraw From Fiverr, Paypal, Upwork, Freelancer, Elance, With Confidence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (190) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by twosquare(m): 3:08pm On Mar 28, 2017
WriteBoy:
I have read this thread from beginning to end and I now see why clients avoid Nigerian freelancers like the bubonic plague: there are a lot of unserious people posturing as freelancers.

No one said it will be easy, no one said it's a walk in the park. Only those who are willing to commit sweat equity and toil to achieve mastery of a given field within this game can really smile.

I initially started out as a writer but I had to leave writing when I discovered that it would take me at least one more year of intense practise and study to up my skills to native speaker level.

I made a switch -- I moved into ecommerce. I watched videos, bought courses, made Shopify websites, learnt Ebay listing and management, made fun Woocommerce shops, studied Magento, payment systems, Customer service, ecommerce book keeping all within a period of six months. Six months of working 7x16 hours daily.

Today, I can beat my chest with confidence and say bring it on. Bring on any aspect of ecommerce and I will handle it.

I work 60 hours per week for two clients and earn $7 and $5 per hour respectively. The two gigs that I work are both long-term gigs that could end up lasting for years as the clients are reputable US ecommerce/finance startups.

Why are my sharing this here? Because I am appalled by the low mentality of my people. My people know that they have no skills and yet want to take jobs because of the money. My people are males yet use female profiles. My people are content with earning sporadically. Whether it is peanuts or substantial matters very little and that breaks my heart.

Anyone reading this: if you can, devote the next 18 months into building your craft. First try to secure a gig that would take care of your necessities before you take the plunge. When you find a gig that you are sure can feed you, clothe you, pay for your utilities and leave a little cash in your pocket, dive in. Then while working this gig, you can continue your learning on the side.

If you do this and make yourself worldclass, forget $100 gigs or whatnot, your skills will catch the attention of the major employers who will reward you beyond your wildest dreams. A Nigerian freelancer that I know is a customer support agent at Levis.com and Aircall.com -- she regularly makes over $40K per year working 50 hours per week.

How did she do it? She spent one year studying English and how to write and speak like a native speaker. This was back in 2015. Today, she is being rewarded handsomely for her efforts.

Be wise brethren and think big.

Freelancing contributed $235B to UK economy in 2016, $450Billion to Indian economy and close to $1Trillion to US economy also in 2016. [s]We can all join hands to make freelancing bring $50Billion to Nigeria by 2025 at least.
[/s]
Think big.
Good write-up but that's because their government created an enabling environment. A country where people still see freelancers as YAHOO YAHOO guy..is that one a country...A country where they can't take care of PayPal's capital flight loophole, is that one a country? Or a country where you spend your freelance take-home on fuel, is that one a country? So, that vision depends largely on the government..even their vision 2020, dem don abandon...truly, there was a country.

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 28, 2017
twosquare:
Good write-up but that's because their government created an enabling environment. A country where people still see freelancers as YAHOO YAHOO guy..is that one a country...A country where they can't take care of PayPal's capital flight loophole, is that one a country? Or a country where you spend your freelance take-home on fuel, is that one a country? So, that vision depends largely on the government..even their vision 2020, dem don abandon...truly, there was a country.

To succeed in this game, my bro, throw away this government this, government that mentality.

Sure they have an enabling environment in all those countries but do you know how many Bangladeshi freelancers sleep in cafes because they don't even have a house to sleep in? What is petrol? Bangladesh is number two on Freelancer.com list

Can you exhaust $50 worth of petrol in one month fueling your generator? If you make $1500 per month from a steady gig, are you justified to blame the government?

Government this, government that. Excuses upon excuses. It's not by force bro. If you still look up to the government for powering your computer then I suggest you become a civil servant and not a freelancer.

The only time you are justified to blame government is when broadband connectivity and quality do not improve to match with other countries.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by kaycodes: 3:41pm On Mar 28, 2017
WriteBoy:
I have read this thread from beginning to end and I now see why clients avoid Nigerian freelancers like the bubonic plague: there are a lot of unserious people posturing as freelancers.

No one said it will be easy, no one said it's a walk in the park. Only those who are willing to commit sweat equity and toil to achieve mastery of a given field within this game can really smile.

I initially started out as a writer but I had to leave writing when I discovered that it would take me at least one more year of intense practise and study to up my skills to native speaker level.

I made a switch -- I moved into ecommerce. I watched videos, bought courses, made Shopify websites, learnt Ebay listing and management, made fun Woocommerce shops, studied Magento, payment systems, Customer service, ecommerce book keeping all within a period of six months. Six months of working 7x16 hours daily.

Today, I can beat my chest with confidence and say bring it on. Bring on any aspect of ecommerce and I will handle it.

I work 60 hours per week for two clients and earn $7 and $5 per hour respectively. The two gigs that I work are both long-term gigs that could end up lasting for years as the clients are reputable US ecommerce/finance startups.

Why are my sharing this here? Because I am appalled by the low mentality of my people. My people know that they have no skills and yet want to take jobs because of the money. My people are males yet use female profiles. My people are content with earning sporadically. Whether it is peanuts or substantial matters very little and that breaks my heart.

Anyone reading this: if you can, devote the next 18 months into building your craft. First try to secure a gig that would take care of your necessities before you take the plunge. When you find a gig that you are sure can feed you, clothe you, pay for your utilities and leave a little cash in your pocket, dive in. Then while working this gig, you can continue your learning on the side.

If you do this and make yourself worldclass, forget $100 gigs or whatnot, your skills will catch the attention of the major employers who will reward you beyond your wildest dreams. A Nigerian freelancer that I know is a customer support agent at Levis.com and Aircall.com -- she regularly makes over $40K per year working 50 hours per week.

How did she do it? She spent one year studying English and how to write and speak like a native speaker. This was back in 2015. Today, she is being rewarded handsomely for her efforts.

Freelancing contributed $235B to UK economy in 2016, $450Billion to Indian economy and close to $1Trillion to US economy also in 2016. We can all join hands to make freelancing bring $50Billion to Nigeria by 2025 at least.

Think big.

Thank you very much for this. This is what stagger has been saying since day one yet peeps wanted to eat him raw. Integrity does not depend on where you're from its about who you are.

People always want to earn cheap money. I resigned and went into freelancing full time because I saw potentials. Initially no one would hire me, then I got my big break on another platform, one year later I came back to upwork with a stellar profile. My current contract I was head hunted. My pay is the highest amongst all the freelancers working for the firm I have more responsibilities and my team is pleased with my work. I am still a Nigerian remember, with my real location and pictures. I recently had an interview with Microsoft, yeah Microsoft uses upwork as well so does several top enterprise clients because I've interviewed for some of them. Today if I don't get a role it won't be because of my heritage. I'll be a proud Nigerian any day and any where.

If we don't rebuild our mentality we will always feel inferior. Stop blaming people for your predicament and take responsibility for your destiny.

On the international stage what matters is what you bring to the table.

Thank you once again sir for this write up and to many others who have kept the Nigerian dream alive. We will get it right someday and we will get it the right way.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by twosquare(m): 3:43pm On Mar 28, 2017
WriteBoy:

To succeed in this game, my bro, throw away this government this, government that mentality.

Sure they have an enabling environment in all those countries but do you know how many Bangladeshi freelancers sleep in cafes because they don't even have a house to sleep in? What is petrol? Bangladesh is number two on Freelancer.com list

Can you exhaust $50 worth of petrol in one month fueling your generator? If you make $1500 per month from a steady gig, are you justified to blame the government?

Government this, government that. Excuses upon excuses. It's not by force bro. If you still look up to the government for powering your computer then I suggest you become a civil servant and not a freelancer.

The only time you are justified to blame government is when broadband connectivity and quality do not improve to match with other countries.
These are not excuses but issues that needs to be addressed...I'm taking this up from the financial angle that that amount is not feasible...if any country is gonna earn that much from freelancing, certains things must be in place...last I remember, the countries you mentioned don't have PP's loophole...you will be amazed at the stability of power supply in some areas even in Bangladesh. And I cant remember anyone in the UK getting arrested for owning a laptop.

And yeah, I do earn above 1k dollars..but I. Will still blame the government because our potentials are being hindered.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by kaycodes: 3:51pm On Mar 28, 2017
keishik:

This should be very interesting. Sold @ ₦350 yesterday but the prospects aren't looking so good. If direct withdrawal would end up giving me even marginally less than exchangers, I'd rather embrace it considering it's inherent security.

Yes it's very interesting indeed. I made the withdrawal yesterday and as I type I was credited by GTB an hour ago. Apparently upwork does the conversion at a fair rate and do a direct deposit in Naira so no conversion fees or incoming fees by our greedy banks. I got exactly what I was expecting. Withdrew 256 USD got 94k in Naira to my savings account without the fear of scammers. You only pay 0.99USD withdrawal fees. With the current market trend this option is the safest and best for now until exchange rates sky rockets which really isn't good. With this trend Exchangers will have to up their prices or forget about upwork freelancers cash grin

However always check the current exchange rate as at the time of withdrawal. You can see this at the page just when you're trying to withdraw.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Exoticstan(m): 5:33pm On Mar 28, 2017
WriteBoy:

Thanks for this. I have also hammered on the relevance of using irresistible quality as a weapon of global freelancing success.

I'd want to point out that success as a Nigerian will be "easier" as a web developer or e-commerce expert than as a freelance writer of the English language, and for apparent reasons. These, notwithstanding, due to persistence in delivering native-level quality content in English, I have had the privilege of editing, proofreading and writing for the owners of English themselves both in Australia, US and UK.

To add to this, Upwork sends me a special job invitation every month, an arrangement that sees me pocket something worthwhile each time I complete any such jobs. I currently have clients that pay me ahead of time, and with steady work which adds up. I even chat with some on Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp!!! That's how much they will appreciate good service.

As has been stated, invest in yourself first. I didn't have to struggle because I had excellent English teachers from KG1 - SSS3. You may have to pay to learn your chosen skill but be certain it WILL pay.

LAST ADVICE: Get a small portfolio website and apply to companies directly. At the end of the day, the ultimate goal of FREElancing is FREEDOM.

Freedom from 20% deductions and rules that don't always favour you.

Regards!!!

11 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 6:34pm On Mar 28, 2017
twosquare:
These are not excuses but issues that needs to be addressed...I'm taking this up from the financial angle that that amount is not feasible...if any country is gonna earn that much from freelancing, certains things must be in place...last I remember, the countries you mentioned don't have PP's loophole...you will be amazed at the stability of power supply in some areas even in Bangladesh. And I cant remember anyone in the UK getting arrested for owning a laptop.

And yeah, I do earn above 1k dollars..but I. Will still blame the government because our potentials are being hindered.

Bros, calm down for a sec, let's crunch some numbers.

So lets say you earn $1k per month.
You budget $100 for utilities
Within utilities, $50 for petrol and electricity.
Electricity = 20$ (20x350=N7000)
Petrol = 30$ (30x350 =N10500)

N10,500 worth of petrol will fetch you around 73 liters. That's three of those 25L jerry cans of petrol per month.

Sorry, are you illuminating the whole of your street? Do you people never get electricity? Let's even forget the fact that you still have $900 left. You have no basis to complain and mustn't do so.

So what if Police stops you? I have been stopped many times with my laptop in tow and I have always stood my ground and explained that I am not a scammer. They always let me go. What stops you from doing that.

You are so full of excuses and I don't even know why I am expending precious mental energy writing a reply to you.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by ajsans: 7:01pm On Mar 28, 2017
WriteBoy:

Freelancing contributed $235B to UK economy in 2016, $450Billion to Indian economy and close to $1Trillion to US economy also in 2016. We can all join hands to make freelancing bring $50Billion to Nigeria by 2025 at least.

Think big.
This is inspirational writeboy. You just invoked the sleeping lion in me.Qoute me one year from now, I will share my result.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by samtobi(m): 7:47pm On Mar 28, 2017
benebaby77:

Even the guy's epistle was riddled with few grammatical solecism and misgiving....

Lol!

Atleast, a tip from you will be much appreciated. I believe one or two persons might have gotten an idea on how to write an high-catchy proposal.

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by samtobi(m): 7:52pm On Mar 28, 2017
tolajay:
Native English Writer from NIGERIA...Baba!

Well, that is for you my brother. As a man thinks in his heart so he is.

Do your research, Nigeria falls among the top 5 list of English speaking countries.

Stop looking down on yourself and brace up.

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by samtobi(m): 7:59pm On Mar 28, 2017
easysunny:

Thanks very much. God bless you.

You are welcome. You can always share your thoughts on this thread. There are always great hands here that can always be of help.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by victor101(m): 8:20pm On Mar 28, 2017
emmaversity:
pls guys I need your help. How does an hourly work operate. I have a client I have completed his job but is yet to pay me. Do I have to wait till the end of the month. The contract term is 25hours/wk. Pls enlighten me in this areas;

1. When does an hourly contract end? Is it when the job is completed or does it mean I will continue to work until the contract is terminated.

2. When does the client pay? is it after each job he assigns me or at the end of the month?

3. How does upwork tracking device operate?

Please I need your help, I have a feeling I have just discouraged a client that loves my work and he has ended the contract... to think that he is my first client. crypls guys I need your help. How does an hourly work operate. I have a client I have completed his job but is yet to pay me. Do I have to wait till the end of the month. The contract term is 25hours/wk. Pls enlighten me in this areas;

1. When does an hourly contract end? Is it when the job is completed or does it mean I will continue to work until the contract is terminated.

2. When does the client pay? is it after each job he assigns me or at the end of the month?

3. How does upwork tracking device operate?

Please I need your help, I have a feeling I have just discouraged a client that loves my work and he has ended the contract... to think that he is my first client.

Hi @emmaversity log into your Upwork and read the below links:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211064098-Log-Time-with-the-Upwork-Desktop-App-

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063668-Get-Paid-for-My-Hourly-Contracts

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063718-Get-Paid-for-my-Fixed-Price-Contracts
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by samtobi(m): 8:30pm On Mar 28, 2017
Writeboy, you are a great man. Thanks for those words. I have been thinking along those line too.

Like what you said, one should always brush up one's skill while working as a freelancer in order to pay for some basic necessities.

For me I think the best way is to channel one's energy into passive income.

Freelancing is an active income. You earn money only when you work for it. But in passive income, you earn money when you are asleep.

The Pro tip should be work as a freelancer, then use your generated income to invest into passive income.

God forbid you fall sick; that means your freelancing business seizes to make money. Whereas, on passive income, even in your sick bed, you still make money.

So, as we learn new skills, we should also develop a mindset of having streams of income. And that can only be possible if we embrace passive income.

It's not easy though, but it's achievable.

4 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by twosquare(m): 8:33pm On Mar 28, 2017
WriteBoy:

Bros, calm down for a sec, let's crunch some numbers.

So lets say you earn $1k per month.
You budget $100 for utilities
Within utilities, $50 for petrol and electricity.
Electricity = 20$ (20x350=N7000)
Petrol = 30$ (30x350 =N10500)

N10,500 worth of petrol will fetch you around 73 liters. That's three of those 25L jerry cans of petrol per month.

Sorry, are you illuminating the whole of your street? Do you people never get electricity? Let's even forget the fact that you still have $900 left. You have no basis to complain and mustn't do so.

So what if Police stops you? I have been stopped many times with my laptop in tow and I have always stood my ground and explained that I am not a scammer. They always let me go. What stops you from doing that.

You are so full of excuses and I don't even know why I am expending precious mental energy writing a reply to you.

That's smart, I guess you dodge the point where I said I'm taking you on from the financial angle...that your 2025 picture for freelance earning in Nigeria is not feasible if certain things are not put in place...great countries do not see citizen's complaints as excuses; they go ahead and fix them, and create enabling environment.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by emmaversity(m): 9:51pm On Mar 28, 2017
Hi guys, thank you so much for all your contributions on this thread. Special thanks goes to Victor101, stagger, tonix4x44 and others.

Thank you writeboy, kaycode, samtobi and others that written inspiring post. Please I humbly urge you to keep up the good work. In the long run it help to correct the wrong impression about Nigerians. Once again thank you. I believe I should give honour to whom it is due... you all deserve it.

However, I have an issue that require your assistance. I did a job for a client and have forwarded it but I have not been paid. I made a mistake. I didn't make use of the time tracker and so there was no evidence that I worked. I don't know if this guy will ever pay me (I even incurred expenses in doing the job)... It's been two weeks since finished the job.

Your advice will be most appreciated.

4 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by emmaversity(m): 9:53pm On Mar 28, 2017
Pls I await your reply.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by stagger: 10:11pm On Mar 28, 2017
I have always said it. Do your work as a Nigerian, pay the initial price and reap the benefits for a lifetime.

6 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by tolajay: 11:54pm On Mar 28, 2017
Not so sir...This goes beyond perceptual reflection.

Top English Speaking doesn't imply Top Native User. That's only a reference to speech community size.

In linguistic analysis, you're only referred to as a Native user of a language if that's the first you had contact with...That's called Language Acquisition [Mother Tongue].

On the flip end, you can be a fluent/conversational or anything else in a language that you've not naturally acquired but learned over time...That's Language Learning [ Second Language or Father Tongue grin -NVM].

So, Bro, answer these questions;

1. What was the first language you learnt to communicate with?

2. How many years did you learn the intricacies and grammatical dynamics of the English language, which I suppose you're still learning?

3. How many times did you fail English Language as a subject before our prayer was answered over you? grin

Sure you know that English isn't Nigeria's lingual franca, compared to Native English countries like the UK.

Therefore, let's not deceive ourselves, we ain't Native English users. Not even with our thick akpu accent. Abi why you think Nigerians need to write IELTES to gain admission into foreign institutions.

BTW, you need to hear me speak pho-ne and you'll realise some of us though Nigerians are born Briton...Thanks to social migration.

All the best!

samtobi:

Well, that is for you my brother. As a man thinks in his heart so he is.

Do your research, Nigeria falls among the top 5 list of English speaking countries.

Stop looking down on yourself and brace up.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by CallmeLucy(m): 1:11am On Mar 29, 2017
Buying Payoneer funds Needed.
Contact me on WhatsApp if you have for sale
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by tolajay: 7:57am On Mar 29, 2017
Awesome perspective.

Could you please give more insight into the direct application procedure through portfolio websites other than through freelancing platforms.

Got a personal website.

Exoticstan:
Thanks for this. I have also hammered on the relevance of using irresistible quality as a weapon of global freelancing success.

I'd want to point out that success as a Nigerian will be "easier" as a web developer or e-commerce expert than as a freelance writer of the English language, and for apparent reasons. These, notwithstanding, due to persistence in delivering native-level quality content in English, I have had the privilege of editing, proofreading and writing for the owners of English themselves both in Australia, US and UK.

To add to this, Upwork sends me a special job invitation every month, an arrangement that sees me pocket at least N100,000 each time I complete the jobs. I currently have clients that pay me ahead of time, and with steady work which adds up. I even chat with some on Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp!!! That's how much they will appreciate good service.

As has been stated, invest in yourself first. I didn't have to struggle because I had excellent English teachers from KG1 - SSS3. You may have to pay to learn your chosen skill but be certain it WILL pay.

LAST ADVICE: Get a small portfolio website and apply to companies directly. At the end of the day, the ultimate goal of freelancing is FREEDOM.

Freedom from 20% deductions and rules that don't always favour you.

Regards!!!
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by masterz(m): 1:33pm On Mar 29, 2017
Please house, who has gone through Danny margulies freelance to win upwork course and what's your review of it?
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by topsquino(m): 1:45pm On Mar 29, 2017
WriteBoy:

Think big.

Thank you for this
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by tonyx4x44(m): 2:28pm On Mar 29, 2017
kaycodes:

Yes it's very interesting indeed. I made the withdrawal yesterday and as I type I was credited by GTB an hour ago. Apparently upwork does the conversion at a fair rate and do a direct deposit in Naira so no conversion fees or incoming fees by our greedy banks. I got exactly what I was expecting. Withdrew 256 USD got 94k in Naira to my savings account without the fear of scammers. You only pay 0.99USD withdrawal fees. With the current market trend this option is the safest and best for now until exchange rates sky rockets which really isn't good. With this trend Exchangers will have to up their prices or forget about upwork freelancers cash grin

However always check the current exchange rate as at the time of withdrawal. You can see this at the page just when you're trying to withdraw.

wow 360+ Bravo Upwork! any exchanger that is not paying 380+ should eat his naira tongue
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by tonyx4x44(m): 2:36pm On Mar 29, 2017
tolajay:
Not so sir...This goes beyond perceptual reflection.

Top English Speaking doesn't imply Top Native User. That's only a reference to speech community size.

In linguistic analysis, you're only referred to as a Native user of a language if that's the first you had contact with...That's called Language Acquisition [Mother Tongue].

On the flip end, you can be a fluent/conversational or anything else in a language that you've not naturally acquired but learned over time...That's Language Learning [ Second Language or Father Tongue grin -NVM].

So, Bro, answer these questions;

1. What was the first language you learnt to communicate with?

2. How many years did you learn the intricacies and grammatical dynamics of the English language, which I suppose you're still learning?

3. How many times did you fail English Language as a subject before our prayer was answered over you? grin

Sure you know that English isn't Nigeria's lingual franca, compared to Native English countries like the UK.

Therefore, let's not deceive ourselves, we ain't Native English users. Not even with our thick akpu accent. Abi why you think Nigerians need to write IELTES to gain admission into foreign institutions.

BTW, you need to hear me speak pho-ne and you'll realise some of us though Nigerians are born Briton...Thanks to social migration.

All the best!

It depends on some factors bro. I was born and bred in Nigeria, yet I am a native speaker. The English Language is the first one I came in contact with, and I consider my language skills fair. While I may not speak the Queen's standard, I'm good enough to write content with a broad vocabulary and proper grammar.

If you came in contact with English Language early and you had stellar teachers till the university level, you can pass as a native speaker. How many Americans/bristish dey speak English well self?

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by tonyx4x44(m): 2:37pm On Mar 29, 2017
stagger:
I have always said it. Do your work as a Nigerian, pay the initial price and reap the benefits for a lifetime.

Gbam
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by keishik: 2:56pm On Mar 29, 2017
kaycodes:

Thank you so much for this info. This really does help. Cc callmelucy.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by tonyx4x44(m): 3:28pm On Mar 29, 2017
kaycodes:

Thank you very much for this. This is what stagger has been saying since day one yet peeps wanted to eat him raw. Integrity does not depend on where you're from its about who you are.

People always want to earn cheap money. I resigned and went into freelancing full time because I saw potentials. Initially no one would hire me, then I got my big break on another platform, one year later I came back to upwork with a stellar profile. My current contract I was head hunted. My pay is the highest amongst all the freelancers working for the firm I have more responsibilities and my team is pleased with my work. I am still a Nigerian remember, with my real location and pictures. I recently had an interview with Microsoft, yeah Microsoft uses upwork as well so does several top enterprise clients because I've interviewed for some of them. Today if I don't get a role it won't be because of my heritage. I'll be a proud Nigerian any day and any where.

If we don't rebuild our mentality we will always feel inferior. Stop blaming people for your predicament and take responsibility for your destiny.

On the international stage what matters is what you bring to the table.

Thank you once again sir for this write up and to many others who have kept the Nigerian dream alive. We will get it right someday and we will get it the right way.

Nigerians can not do this, you can not charge that amount as a nigerian, nigerians this, nigerians that... blaaa!

I not even making it well like the pros here but at least my own life na testimony. No special skills or training (well I'm a Google search expert,) no previous freelancing experience, started Upwork last September, working in the writing niche, working less that 30 hours a week, flying my nigerian flag with my real profile. Upwork is now my primary source of income.

Na small small, aiming for $30k/year grin (no call me big eye o)

3 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Israelconcepts: 3:58pm On Mar 29, 2017
Hi, please help. How do I get contents and images for Magazine. I was told to develop magazine from scratch..The magazine will be focused on trends and current events in the USA hospitality markets.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by keishik: 4:05pm On Mar 29, 2017
tonyx4x44:

Nigerians can not do this, you can not charge that amount as a nigerian, nigerians this, nigerians that... blaaa!

I not even making it well like the pros here but at least my own life na testimony. No special skills or training (well I'm a Google search expert,) no previous freelancing experience, started Upwork last September, working in the writing niche, working less that 30 hours a week, flying my nigerian flag with my real profile. Upwork is now my primary source of income.

Na small small, aiming for $30k/year grin (no call me big eye o)

Lol #PepperDemGang

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by tonyx4x44(m): 4:31pm On Mar 29, 2017
kaycodes:

bro is the payment instant?
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by helpfulposts(m): 5:34pm On Mar 29, 2017
masterz:
Please house, who has gone through Danny margulies freelance to win upwork course and what's your review of it?
I'm trying to download the course but the network in my area is too slow.

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (190) (Reply)

Youwin Business Competition 2013 / Simple Secret Of Buying Stuff At Idumota Market Lagos / Making Regular Income Publishing Amazon Kindle Ebooks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.