Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:10 AM

How Did The Guys Who Invented The First Clock Know What Time It Was? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How Did The Guys Who Invented The First Clock Know What Time It Was? (6167 Views)

Researchers Shut Down AI That Invented Its Own Language / Ray Tomlinson, Man Who Invented The Email Is Dead / See What A Nairalander Invented 6 Years Ago. (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did The Guys Who Invented The First Clock Know What Time It Was? by Olsoo(m): 6:24am On Sep 14, 2015
How Did the Guys Who Invented the First Clock Know What Time It Was?

This has got me wondering all day. Anyone with an idea?

cc: seun, lalasticlala, ujsizzle
Re: How Did The Guys Who Invented The First Clock Know What Time It Was? by amiskurie(m): 6:30am On Sep 14, 2015
He must have consulted the oracle grin
Re: How Did The Guys Who Invented The First Clock Know What Time It Was? by amnesty7: 6:36am On Sep 14, 2015
But you said "invented" yourself. Think a little more.
Re: How Did The Guys Who Invented The First Clock Know What Time It Was? by RichDad1(m): 6:51am On Sep 14, 2015
Because Oduduwa came to the world with a golden watch. tongue

We lead, others follow. cheesy
Re: How Did The Guys Who Invented The First Clock Know What Time It Was? by freeDR(m): 7:04am On Sep 14, 2015
Before the advent of mechanical clocks, people have been using basic and simple devices and methods in measuring time. Check up the SUNDIALS.

Also, there are evidences that ancient civilizations divided up the day into hours by measuring time against the length of shadows cast by the sun.

2 Likes

Re: How Did The Guys Who Invented The First Clock Know What Time It Was? by dhardline(m): 7:04am On Sep 14, 2015
This is a little idea for you...When its days time and the sun is out in full glare with no clouds in sight,go out in the open where there is sand then pick a stick and draw a circle on the ground.After that take a straight broom stick and stick in right in the middle of the circle,where the shadow of the broom stick falls is the approximate real time tongue . Although it might have all started from calculating sunrise to sunset.

4 Likes

Re: How Did The Guys Who Invented The First Clock Know What Time It Was? by donnaira(m): 7:19am On Sep 14, 2015
before the invention, people already know time; may be not accurately but close to accuracy & this is possible through the use of shadows ;sundials etc .They also used the HOUR SAND ,though not common among locals it was mostly used by monarchs ,scientist etc

1 Like

Re: How Did The Guys Who Invented The First Clock Know What Time It Was? by Haywhymido(m): 7:19am On Sep 14, 2015
Except if i ask my grandfather, i dont knw
Re: How Did The Guys Who Invented The First Clock Know What Time It Was? by RobinHez(m): 7:33am On Sep 14, 2015
we've actually had different devices to tell the time from as far as 2000BC.
Examples: Sundial, Hourglass, Candle clock, Pendulum clock etc...

But for modern clocks., they were 'calibrated' using astronomical methods.
I can't quite remember how it was put in one clip I watched, but it seems they measured it with the movement of the Earth around the sun and with stars in space...and then they develop mathematical equations to convert them into 'time' as we know it.

Re: How Did The Guys Who Invented The First Clock Know What Time It Was? by UjSizzle(f): 8:03am On Sep 14, 2015
The sun.
Re: How Did The Guys Who Invented The First Clock Know What Time It Was? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 14, 2015
RobinHez:

we've actually had different devices to tell the time from as far as 2000BC.
Examples: Sundial, Hourglass, Candle clock, Pendulum clock etc...

But for modern clocks., they were 'calibrated' using astronomical methods.
I can't quite remember how it was put in one clip I watched, but it seems they measured it with the movement of the Earth around the sun and with stars in space...and then they develop mathematical equations to convert them into 'time' as we know it.

grin grin grin grin
Don't you mean they are calibrated with atomic clocks?
Astronomical methods have been outdated for some time now.
Re: How Did The Guys Who Invented The First Clock Know What Time It Was? by RobinHez(m): 1:38pm On Sep 14, 2015
Teempakguy:
grin grin grin grin

the question was "
How Did the Guys Who Invented the First Clock Know
What Time It Was?"

All clocks owe their origin to astronomy. Each one improving from the previous one...
Re: How Did The Guys Who Invented The First Clock Know What Time It Was? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Sep 14, 2015
RobinHez:

the question was "
How Did the Guys Who Invented the First Clock Know
What Time It Was?"

All clocks owe their origin to astronomy. Each one improving from the previous one...
alright . . ok
Re: How Did The Guys Who Invented The First Clock Know What Time It Was? by Blakjewelry(m): 8:38pm On Sep 14, 2015
Teempakguy:
grin grin grin grin

You are correct the most accurate clock is atomic clock. Though different methods has being used and pass down from generations, the one that is truly a marvel is the mechanical clock, infact I have actually wanted to open a thread on that but then I remembered am not a good writer
Re: How Did The Guys Who Invented The First Clock Know What Time It Was? by tck2000(m): 3:46pm On Jun 09, 2019

(1) (Reply)

Facts To Prove That Science Supports Bible Facts Than Those Of Evolution. / The Making Of A 3D House Printer In Nigeria. / What Is The Difference BTW Formatting And Flashing A Phone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.