Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,359 members, 7,800,721 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:31 AM

Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know (94781 Views)

Nigeria Has Over N 2.7Trn In Treasury Single Account ( TSA ) – AGF / Treasury Single Account: Its Benefit, Major Players And Unnecessary Controversy / Treasury Single Account Is A Fraud, Says Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by oshyno(m): 5:14pm On Sep 14, 2015
Rockstar07:
Below is the summary of the above article in bullet points for those fellas who don't have time to read.

1. The TSA system is consitituional, only that past administration refused to implement it.
2. CBN manage the accounts and sub accounts for all in-flow and out-flow.
3. All revenues from MDAs into banks are to be remiited to the TSA accounts daily BCOB
4. All MDAs won't have access to the funds in the banks, they may have to pass through the CBN after obtaining neccessary approval before funds can be release to them.
5. Banks may have to re-strategized on other means to get deposits from private coys or state govt that's even state won't follow fed pattern.
6. Banks may have to retrench their staffs esp the back office staffs and seek more sales staffs to get deposits by all means
7. Banks will increase their interest and reduce lending
8. The strategy will alleviate diversion of public funds by public office holders even tho there may be little diversion either through over stating cost or diverting funds given to them but it'll be minimal.

Daz a good summary but 1 is wrong. GEJ did a test run with over 200 Agencies and directed other MDAs for implementation. This is a good policy and am glad Buhari is giving it much needed push.

Make I wait these peperempes from banks to beg me for deposit.Lolz

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by wiseoneking: 5:19pm On Sep 14, 2015
Rockstar07:
Below is the summary of the above article in bullet points for those fellas who don't have time to read.

1. The TSA system is consitituional, only that past administration refused to implement it.
3. All revenues from MDAs into banks are to be remiited to the TSA accounts daily BCOB
4. All MDAs won't have access to the funds in the banks, they may have to pass through the CBN after obtaining neccessary approval before funds can be release to them.
5. Banks may have to re-strategized on other means to get deposits from private coys or state govt that's even state won't follow fed pattern.
6. Banks may have to retrench their staffs esp the back office staffs and seek more sales staffs to get deposits by all means
8. The strategy will alleviate diversion of public funds by public office holders even tho there may be little diversion either through over stating cost or diverting funds given to them but it'll be minimal.
No 7, Increasing interest rate and reducing lending is the worst thing that can happen to Naija. This is the major area that help to grow private sector all over the world. We want an economy driven by private sector than that control by conservative govt policies. If truly this is the case, Woe to this govt, it will be anti masses and people. Lastly, let it not start making the banks to be distressed. I hope again that those corrupt guys would not devise another dangerous means of reaping this nation before finally been paid into the so called single acct.

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by ekemini606: 5:25pm On Sep 14, 2015
dave2meek:
After all said, the policy will send some bankers back to the labour market, causing more congestion in the already congested labour market.

I see ur point but its way too mono_directional.
There is a bigger picture to consider here.
With dwindling oil price , there need for IGR.
Un remitted fund by the various govt parastatal has over the years deprived the government much need funds to grow the economy at pace.

I think if the government is serious this time around
Revenue that the country would save a from this policy alone should be more than enough to create hundred of new jobs. So fear not my bros!
Buhari

Is
is working #anywhereuseemypresidentholakabiesi#

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by unite4real: 5:38pm On Sep 14, 2015
psucc:
I don't know how good you will try to explain this.
To me, we should always weigh the pros and the con of every policy. The operation cum advantages of the TSA will affect the Nigerian economy negatively than what we are told. From inadequate fund to enhance bank lending to the investing public to staff layoff.
Nigeria cannot afford to cope with TSA.

are you among them? i mean among those people that .....

abeg abeg abeg. all we want is financial discipline. Instead of disallowing TSA to favour jobs at the expense of social amenities that the generality of the populace will benefit from, including financial discpline and accountability; only a fraudster will say TSA is bad.

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by Adedolapo1406(m): 5:46pm On Sep 14, 2015
TSA will be good for our country Nigeria I served in the Office of the Accountant General, Consolidated Revenue Fund section to be precise. TSA will enable any individual that have access to Bank Statement know the financial status of the F.G @ a glance and this will also help in avoiding diversion of public fund into private Accounts. incase you need Treasury Single Account Number "3000002095".
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by Gemc3(f): 6:06pm On Sep 14, 2015
Adesiji77:
Thanks Rockstar07 for sharing this, God bless you. You have really clarified the concept of TSA.

Meanwhile, the "deposit wars" has started already...

Most banks have given their marketers new targets to be met for both Q3 and FYE to cushion the effect of the TSA implementation.

The hustle is real...cool

Very real o my brother.

Rockstar07 is a real "Rockstar Summarian" tho cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by juicebox: 6:39pm On Sep 14, 2015
Rockstar07:

Of what use is it to the banks to mobolize high cost deposits and reduce lending?
For the banks to make profit & remain in business, they would have to increase lending, reduce their interest on term deposits, source more of cheap funds (Demand Deposit Accounts).
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by Bome01(m): 6:52pm On Sep 14, 2015
CBN still remains one of the sane few FG organisations in this country. Even if there's pilfering, It would be minimal with the TSA.
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by Rockstar07: 8:14pm On Sep 14, 2015
Gemc3:

Very real o my brother.

Thanks sweet kiss

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by princemillla(m): 8:21pm On Sep 14, 2015
I support this.... By law it's legal. And most needed now.
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by MAYOWAAK: 8:22pm On Sep 14, 2015
Beginning with the Oliver Lyttleton Constitution, the 1954 document that conferred the status of a federation on Nigeria, the central government has always been mandated to operate a single revenue account for the country.

Preparatory to the 1960 independence, the colonial masters had kept faith with that aspect of the law and bequeathed it to the First Republic, run by the duo of the late Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe as president and Alhaji Tafawa Balewa as Prime Minister.

However, the Nigerian civil war economy run by Gen. Yakubu Gowon — beginning from 1967 — necessitated a deviation from what was the norm and inadvertently opened the door of what critics have come to refer to as the door of impunity for successive military and civilian governments.

The practice continued even without regard for the Section 162, sub-section 1 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended), which states: “The Federation shall maintain a special account to be called ‘the Federation Account’ into which shall be paid all revenues collected by the Government of the Federation, except the proceeds from the personal income tax of the personnel of the armed forces of the Federation, the Nigeria Police Force, the ministry or department of government charged with responsibility for Foreign Affairs and the residents of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.”
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by gidjah(m): 8:36pm On Sep 14, 2015
At least mu bank will begin to respect my little #10,000 in my current acct,treat me like a king else i shall be forced to withdraw my money sharp sharp.This banks dishonor small scale depositors coz they get cheap money from them politicians and evil ministes the-likes.Good Riddance to Bad rubbish

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by smuth(m): 9:14pm On Sep 14, 2015
Rockstar07:
Earlier in February, the Central Bank of Nigeria issued a circular directing all deposit money banks to implement the Remita e-Collection Platform. The Remita e-Collection is a technology platform deployed by the Federal Government to support the collection and remittance of all government revenue to a Consolidated Account domiciled with the CBN. This marked the beginning of the full implementation of Treasury Single Account (TSA) system in Nigeria.

Though Section 80 (1) of the 1999 Constitution as amended states “All revenues, or other moneys raised or received by the Federation (not being revenues or other moneys payable under this Constitution or any Act of the National Assembly into any other public fund of the Federation established for a specific purpose) shall be paid into and form one Consolidated Revenue Fund of the Federation”; successive governments have continued to operate multiple accounts for the collection and spending of government revenue in flagrant disregard to the provision of the constitution which requires that all government revenues be remitted into a single account.

It was not until 2012 that government ran a pilot scheme for a single account using 217 ministries, department and agencies as a test case. The pilot scheme saved the country about N500 billion in frivolous spending. The success of the pilot scheme motivated the government to fully implement TSA, leading to the directives to banks to implement the technology platform that will help accommodate all MDA’s in the TSA scheme. The recent directives by President Mohammed Buhari that all government revenues should be remitted to a Treasury Single Account is in consonance with this programme and in compliance with the provisions of the 1999 constitution.

But what is a Treasury Single Account?
In a nutshell, a Treasury Single Account is a public accounting system under which all government revenue, receipts and income and collected into one single account, usually maintained by the country’s Central Bank and all payments done through this account as well. The purpose is primarily to ensure accountability of government revenue, enhance transparency and avoid misapplication of public funds. The maintenance of a Treasury Single Account will help to ensure proper cash management by eliminating idle funds usually left with different commercial banks and in a way enhance reconciliation of revenue collection and payment.

How Is TSA Run?
With particular reference to Nigeria, the Central Bank has opened a Consolidated Revenue Account to receive all government revenue and effect payments through this account. This is the Treasury Single Account. All Ministries, Departments and Agencies are expected to remit their revenue collections to this account through the individual commercial banks who act as collection agents. This means that the money deposit banks will continue to maintain revenue collection accounts for MDA’s but all monies collected by these banks will have to be remitted to the Consolidated Revenue Accounts with the CBN at the end of each banking day. In other words, MDA’s accounts with money deposit banks must be zerorized at the end every banking day by a complete remittance to the TSA of all revenues collected. The implication is that banks will no longer have access to the float provided by the accounts they maintained for the MDA’s. Difference types of account could be maintained under a TSA arrangement and these may include the TSA main account, subsidiary or sub-accounts, transaction accounts and zero balance account. Other types of accounts that could [be] operated include imprest accounts, transit accounts and correspondence accounts. These accounts are maintained for transaction purposes for funds flowing in and out of the TSA.

Benefits of TSA
From the foregoing, it is obvious that the primary benefit of a TSA is the mechanism it provides for proper monitoring of government receipts and expenditure. In the Nigerian case, it will help to block most if not all the leakages that have been the bane of the growth of the economy. We have a situation where some MDA’s manage their finances like independent empire and remit limited revenue to government treasuries. Under a properly run TSA, this is not possible as agencies of government are meant to spend in line with duly approved budget provisions. The maintenance of a single account for government will enable the Ministry of Finance monitor fund flow as no agency of government is allowed to maintain any operational bank account outside the oversight of the ministry of finance.

How will this affect the banking system?
As a matter of fact, deposit money banks stand to lose immensely from the implementation of TSA. This is because of the fact that public sector funds constitute a large chunk of commercial banks deposit. Indeed, it is estimated that commercial banks hold about N2.2 trillion public sector funds at the beginning of sector quarter of 2015. The impact of this amount of money leaving the system can be imagined when one considers the fact that each time the monthly federal allocation is released by FAAC, the banking system is usually awashed with liquidity and as soon as this public sector funds dries up through withdrawal by the states, liquidity tightens again with interbank rates going up. Of major impact will be the movement of funds of revenue generating parastatals such as the NNPC, out of commercial banks.
In the coming months, we see a return of deposit ‘wars’ amongst banks as each DMB devices means of mobilizing funds from the private sector. We see a return of the era when women are employed by banks specifically for deposit mobilization and tacitly encouraged to use any means necessary to get funds. We see increase in deposit interest rates as a major means of inducing customers and most importantly we see a drop in lending and in the profitability of banks, at least, in the short to medium term until they fully come to terms with the impact of the policy and begin to properly position themselves for true banking business. Ultimately, we see the share price of these banks falling as investors attempt to price in the policy impact.

Improved Public Finance Management[b][/b]
Finally, the implementation of this programme is a critical step towards curbing corruption in public finance. This is in line with the commitment of the current administration to combat corrupt practices, eliminate indiscipline in public finance and ensure adequate fund flow that will be channeled to critical sectors of the economy to catalyze development. Nigerians are excited at the directive by President Buhari as this will mean that some government agencies that have been known to be withholding funds from the Federal Government are now under compulsion to remit monies to federal treasuries. These agencies include: Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), Nigeria Immigration Service (NIMS), Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) amongst others.

http://thestalwartreport.com/understanding-the-treasury-single-account-tsa-system-things-you-should-know/

Oga give credit to whome credit is due...I did not hear you mention Jonathan as the initiator of the scheme in this your long post, why are all Buhari's supporters like this for Christ sake? ingrates i must say, Buhari only pick up from were Jonathan left off yet you people act as if it was Buhari that started the program, mind you history CANNOT be errased, we all now who started implementing the scheme even Buhari confirmed it was Jonathan. case closed.

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by CHYMZZY(m): 9:24pm On Sep 14, 2015
tolexy007:
wink anybody to summarize this thing for me? pls grin
you blind?
Abi u no see the post ontop you?

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by abusurv(m): 9:40pm On Sep 14, 2015
osothermal:
It sounds good but mr president engineering in the country is grounded we engineers spend 5 or more years in the higher institution learning little or nothing i suggest that a scheme should be set up to train engineering graduate thoroughly outside the country thereby exposing them to contemporary technologies then bringing them back there will be no need to waste millions of dollars on so called expatriate .they get two heads. Am just saying my own o
What you are taught in the university is to prepare you for the future, it's now depend on you how to translate it into money. Mostly some university do not emphasize the practical aspect of the course only the theory this is very bad.
In my school to passed a project defense with out much problem it must be a practical project and this has help me after graduation. Thank you
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by ruffhandu: 9:44pm On Sep 14, 2015
ihesiuloa:

grin cheesy wink
I've laughed my Tommy out please I can't shout o!
No be joke.
Ask anyone close to you who's a banker and has worked in the clearing and FT departments and they'll tell you how government funds/generated revenues are being diverted. Corruption is fought from the root, if not, they just handed the key to these new "choppers".

Cc: seunmsg , efilefun

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by gentle007(m): 9:52pm On Sep 14, 2015
Precursor to islamic banking...
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by Adesiji77: 10:37pm On Sep 14, 2015
Gemc3:

Very real o my brother.

cheesy cheesy
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by kmzee(m): 10:42pm On Sep 14, 2015
I
Rockstar07:

This summarizes everything about TSA
Thanks
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 11:19pm On Sep 14, 2015
ruffhandu:
So only those at CBN and Ministry of Finance will continue the "money chopping" game? The leakage simply changed route, for now at least.
Its all about chopping money to you
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by Gemc3(f): 11:49pm On Sep 14, 2015
Rockstar07:

Thanks sweet kiss

You are welcome smiley
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by shurlermoz(m): 12:54am On Sep 15, 2015
psucc:
I don't know how good you will try to explain this.
To me, we should always weigh the pros and the con of every policy. The operation cum advantages of the TSA will affect the Nigerian economy negatively than what we are told. From inadequate fund to enhance bank lending to the investing public to staff layoff.
Nigeria cannot afford to cope with TSA.

In the spirit of weighing the pros and cons, I think the bank will pull thru that difficult patch with time but the country might collapse if the endemic corruption in the system is not checked, hence the TSA.
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by ruffhandu: 5:19am On Sep 15, 2015
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

Its all about chopping money to you

As if that's not what it actually is.
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by drey076(m): 6:09am On Sep 15, 2015
I will continue to love Buhari
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by drey076(m): 6:18am On Sep 15, 2015
smuth:

Oga give credit to whome credit is due...I did not hear you mention Jonathan as the initiator of the scheme in this your long post, why are all Buhari's supporters like this for Christ sake? ingrates i must say, Buhari only pick up from were Jonathan left off yet you people act as if it was Buhari that started the program, mind you history CANNOT be errased, we all now who started implementing the scheme even Buhari confirmed it was Jonathan. case closed.
You are the greatest fool I have ever seen,
Jonathan although initiated(to deceive fool like you as if he was an angel) but never enforced it because corruption was running in his vein
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by Eleponblue(m): 6:40am On Sep 15, 2015
Rockstar07:
This should be move to FP for people to have insight of it.

Seun, lalasticlala, ishilove, obinoscopy,

Kindly do the needful..FTC
I hate it when people beg for topics to be moved to fp.
For heavens sake seun and his crew know what's best for this forum.
I T Ks on rampage!
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by chudionu58(f): 6:48am On Sep 15, 2015
drey076:

Jonathan although initiated(to deceive fool like you as if he was an angel) but never enforced it because corruption was running in his vein

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/fg-moves-mdas-capital-accounts-to-cbn-2/

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fg-s-treasury-single-account-unsettles-banks/209153/

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/01/fg-saves-n500bn-through-implementation-of-single-treasury-account/

Don't be a stupid idiot....guess you are very angry that your god have no originality! *Shame*
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by Ndeewonu: 7:16am On Sep 15, 2015
Rockstar07:

Good summary...

Looking at your points 5, 6, 7...

5. Has it occurred to you that public sector funds in the country is significantly high? Do you know the portfolio inbalance this policy will cause banks? Many banks may be forced to recapitalise or risk being liquidated! And you know how difficult it would be right now to raise funds for capitalisation, considering Capital Market tumble and general uncertainties in the economy;

6. You need to know that each bank has PUBLIC SECTOR as a directorate, headed by an Executive Director, and the staff strength here is enormous across banks and in totality. Retrenching will not only be for the back office (as you mentioned) but heavily for those marketers in the Public Sector desks. What a heavy calamity. Again, it is UNLIKELY that banks will have room to employ more marketers giving the dwindling revenue of banks occasioned by govt policies;

7. Sure. However, banks will not only increase interest rates/stop lending, but will also be in danger of running foul with statutory lending guidelines/portfolio limits.

My point,

1. This decision will only succeed in worsening unemployment situation in Nigeria. As you know, banks are probably the second highest employer of labour in Nigeria after the government. And, as you also know, banks have already commenced mass sacking all over the country.

2. Coupled with the ones we have seen in non bank sectors, Nigeria may plunge into a disaster in the next few months;

3. There could have been ways to retain these accounts in banks, but with a better management and control measures put in place. Sacking and prosecuting a bank CEO and other officers seen to aid and abate fraud in this regard would have been a better option;

This is from objective point of view!

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by Ndeewonu: 7:20am On Sep 15, 2015
drey076:

I do not know why it does appear that MOST APC supporters are too cantankerous! They curse, they fight, they even wear suicide belts!
They swear for una?

An honourable person can always make his point known without employing invectives.

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by asha80(m): 7:32am On Sep 15, 2015
Ndeeowonu

TSA is constitutional so your second to last paragraph is moot
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by Redstone(m): 7:33am On Sep 15, 2015
It'll reduce stealing of public funds. Ok

Hope they don't invent other ways to loot by under reporting revenue accounts and remitting less to CBN.
We might be going back to the era of fire in government account departments just to wipe out records and files.

We do hope for the best shá.
Re: Understanding The Treasury Single Account (TSA) System – Things You Should Know by smuth(m): 7:49am On Sep 15, 2015
drey076:

Just listen to yourself Mr idiot, can you please name one scheme your role model dullard.dinho has initiated since elected to office, of course expecting Buhari to be creative is like expecting an ant to crush a trailer loaded with cement...and for you, foolishness runs in your family like tape water...I understand your love for Buhari, blood is thicker than water, just that you are from the poor side of his lineage.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reno Omokri: Biafrans Built This Armoured Car During The Civil War / 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World / Gabriel Emmanuel Nkanang Customized Grave With Light (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.