Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,923 members, 7,806,684 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:43 PM

Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar (58644 Views)

The making of A "4 bedroom Duplex with 2 rooms BQ" In Aba / I Have Hotel For Sale 44 Rooms At Ajah 130m / Please Help Me Check The Quotation Of A Storey Building From My Contractor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 3:28pm On Sep 14, 2015
I have decided to diarise my building experience involving the building of a 3 bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse at Calabar (close to Tinapa). Since i'm based in London I have decided to project manage the construction in phases by myself each time I visited Nigeria. I bought a 150 x 100 plot of land in June 2014 and visited in December 2014 to oversee the fencing of the plot. In August 2015 I visited for the excavation phase to the German floor phase before leaving. I also annexed a 50 x 50 plot next to mine during my visit (a good place to locate the 2 x 3 bedroom flat BQ, Borehole, Generator room at the back of the plot).

Features: Ground Floor
Ante-room, Lounge, Dinning room, Kitchen/ Store, 3 Bedroom (ensuite -including Visitors room), stairwell, visitors toilet.

Penthouse: Masters bedroom ensuite with balcony, Second bedroom ensuite

Most of the input came from Nairaland members here

*Original plan (5 bedroom bungalow) designed by megaplanpro
*First penthouse design-by Vicmoor
*BoQ for Fencing cost + building advice- by Segzy14
*Structural design advice by Onakomaya

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 3:34pm On Sep 14, 2015
This is the 3D design of the building

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by kopell: 3:37pm On Sep 14, 2015
LondonCool:
I have decided to diarise my building experience involving the building of a 3 bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse at Calabar (close to Tinapa). Since i'm based in London I have decided to project manage the construction in phases by myself each time I visited Nigeria. I bought a 150 x 100 plot of land in June 2014 and visited in December 2014 to oversee the fencing of the plot. In August 2015 I visited for the excavation phase to the German floor phase before leaving. I also annexed a 50 x 50 plot next to mine during my visit (a good place to locate the 2 x 3 bedroom flat BQ, Borehole, Generator room at the back of the plot).

Ante-room, Lounge, Dinning room, Kitchen/ Store, 3 Bedroom (ensuite -including Visitors room), stairwell, visitors toilet.

Welcome back, can you share the 3D plan of the house. If possible progress of the house.

2 Likes

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 3:38pm On Sep 14, 2015
This was the original 3D version done for me by Vicmoor.

2 Shares

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by mufutau55(m): 3:40pm On Sep 14, 2015
Beautiful Londoncool... we are already here following you... God will see you thru.

Hajji M.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 3:43pm On Sep 14, 2015
mufutau55:
Beautiful Londoncool... we are already here following you... God will see you thru.

Hajji M.

Thanks my brother!!
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by kopell: 3:44pm On Sep 14, 2015
LondonCool:
This was the original 3D version done for me by Vicmoor.

Good job, already in first roll seat in class, Hajji is going to next seat to me. hajji I hope you have your note book with you.

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 3:50pm On Sep 14, 2015
This is the sloping view of the plot. It slopes at a steep gradient which presented challenges while excavating the foundation.

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by mufutau55(m): 3:56pm On Sep 14, 2015
kopell:
Good job, already in first roll seat in class, Hajji is going to next seat to me. hajji I hope you have your note book with you.

I store everything in my memory... my God given non-erasable Ipad. smiley

Hajji M.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 4:07pm On Sep 14, 2015
The land had 15 Palm trees and was like a jungle. I paid N75,000 to fell the tree's and clear the whole site (150 x 100)

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 4:19pm On Sep 14, 2015
Another view

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by KolaShangOne(m): 5:41pm On Sep 14, 2015
Following keenly..
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by OnetimeOnly: 5:58pm On Sep 14, 2015
LondonCool:
The land had 15 Palm trees and was like a jungle. I paid N75,000 to fell the tree's and clear the whole site (150 x 100)
I'm going to be keenly following this thread.
Just asking is there any way you could have cleared the site without cutting all the trees... sometimes the trees add a nice flavour to the compound instead of just interlocking blocks.

Btw.. does your plan make use of the land slope or levels it..the fence makes it look like you are taking good advantage of the slope.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by erico2k2(m): 6:02pm On Sep 14, 2015
mufutau55:

I store everything in my memory... my God given non-erasable Ipad. smiley

Hajji M.

As Usual.I'm the monitor and here to write names of noise makers grin

2 Likes

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by erico2k2(m): 6:04pm On Sep 14, 2015
LondonCool:
Another view
Bross no bush meat?? grin
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 6:11pm On Sep 14, 2015
I started by fencing the plot of land in order to secure its perimeters. I had to be physically present to commence this phase.

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 6:12pm On Sep 14, 2015
erico2k2:

Bross no bush meat?? grin

Unfortunately, there were none around.

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 6:22pm On Sep 14, 2015
More fences

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by OnetimeOnly: 6:36pm On Sep 14, 2015
LondonCool:

It would be enlightening for you to do a post about the land in tinapa. I know a couple of people who plan/ want to build vacation homes in the area, but have zero information on that part of the country despite its great tourism potential. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by Nobody: 6:37pm On Sep 14, 2015
God will help you to complete it in jesus name.

LondonCool:

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 6:42pm On Sep 14, 2015
OnetimeOnly:

I'm going to be keenly following this thread.
Just asking is there any way you could have cleared the site without cutting all the trees... sometimes the trees add a nice flavour to the compound instead of just interlocking blocks.

Btw.. does your plan make use of the land slope or levels it..the fence makes it look like you are taking good advantage of the slope.

Thanks

Thanks for your question. It was very necessary to cut down all the trees in order to assess the size of the plot bought and to provide access to the site. I will definately create some landscaping green space and plant some exquisite trees.

The bungalow is located at the bottom of the slope so we had to level it for the foundation. At the top of the slope there is space to build a 3 storey building which would have a basement/underground bunker included due to the steep slope.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 6:43pm On Sep 14, 2015
segzy14:
God will help you to complete it in jesus name.

Thanks, appreciated !!
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by OnetimeOnly: 6:46pm On Sep 14, 2015
LondonCool:

Thanks for your question. It was very necessary to cut down all the trees in order to assess the size of the plot bought and to provide access to the site. I will definately create some landscaping green space and plant some exquisite trees.

The bungalow is located at the bottom of the slope so we had to level it for the foundation. At the top of the slope there is space to build a 3 storey building which would have a basement/underground bunker included due to the steep slope.

Nice. It's good you are taking advantage of the slope.. keep the thread going.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 6:47pm On Sep 14, 2015
I spent 3 weeks in Nigeria to start excavation work to DPC level.

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 6:51pm On Sep 14, 2015
We then started work on the foundation. This took nearly 7-9 coaches around certain levels. We put a beam at the 5th coach.

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 6:52pm On Sep 14, 2015
More pics

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 6:55pm On Sep 14, 2015
more pics

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 7:29pm On Sep 14, 2015
Lessons learned so far (for those building from abroad)

1) Make sure you are there physically to supervise each stage of your building project (even if it takes you 4 years)- this is to prevent what happended in 1993 from happening to you.

2) Always engage professionals for your project. Ask them questions. Challenge every assumption. (the Architects on Nairaland were a good sounding board for actualising my building designs). Vicmoor sold me the idea of having a penthouse in my bungalow. Segzy14 always checked up on the progress of the building project and provided some sound advice.

3) Have at least one reliable home person on ground. I used my younger brother and my Architect friend, though they used to checkmate each other, I was getting spot-on updates on the work progress corroborated by 2 sources.

4) I bought a camera and SD card for my brother with the caveat that he had to give me weekly pictures about the work progress via Whatsapp (with his face in picture, lol). Look for a way to get visual updates about your project.

5) Get ready for other anciliary costs after purchasing your land. I paid lots of money for Land registration , Town Planning approval, Site Analysis/Charting, etc.

6 Likes

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by erico2k2(m): 8:22pm On Sep 14, 2015
LondonCool:
Lessons learned so far (for those building from abroad)

1) Make sure you are there physically to supervise each stage of your building project (even if it takes you 4 years)- this is to prevent what happended in 1993 from happening to you.

2) Always engage professionals for your project. Ask them questions. Challenge every assumption. (the Architects on Nairaland were a good sounding board for actualising my building designs). Vicmoor sold me the idea of having a penthouse in my bungalow. Segzy14 always checked up on the progress of the building project and provided some sound advice.

3) Have at least one reliable home person on ground. I used my younger brother and my Architect friend, though they used to checkmate each other, I was getting spot-on updates on the work progress corroborated by 2 sources.

4) I bought a camera and SD card for my brother with the caveat that he had to give me weekly pictures about the work progress via Whatsapp (with his face in picture, lol). Look for a way to get visual updates about your project.

5) Get ready for other anciliary costs after purchasing your land. I paid lots of money for Land registration , Town Planning approval, Site Analysis/Charting, etc.
Very important.

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by smiley001(m): 8:25pm On Sep 14, 2015
Following as usual
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 8:44pm On Sep 14, 2015
OnetimeOnly:

It would be enlightening for you to do a post about the land in tinapa. I know a couple of people who plan/ want to build vacation homes in the area, but have zero information on that part of the country despite its great tourism potential. Thanks

Land around Tinapa is now at a premium price and picked up by money bags. Winners Chapel have secured acres there for their new University (for Science and Engineering). Mine is in a newly opened up area around 5 minutes from Tinapa. Its like a quiet village but surely lots of bourgeois are picking up plots here quite consistently. Once the CRS Government gets to see the rate of development here, they would most likely acquire the area, build layouts and sell the plots to Government official and their lackeys.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by PHIPEX(m): 8:47pm On Sep 14, 2015
Am following religiously.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Hidden Secrets Of Borehole Drilling, Geo-physical Survey, Water Treatment Etc. / Meet Said Jammal, The Owner Of The Aeroplane House In Abuja / Funny Picture: House With Over 15 Satellite Dishes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.