Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,488 members, 7,808,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:12 PM

Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo (2551 Views)

Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Videos And Sounds of People Speaking Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by Afam4eva(m): 11:08am On Apr 09, 2009
Why is it that Igbo people that live outside Igbo land find it difficult to speak Igbo to each other. I've noticed that whenever i meet an Igbo person and make an attempt to speak the language to them they kinda  feel embarrased. But yorubas always speak their language in the class to one another, while the Igbo ones would rather speak english to other Igbo students.
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by ijeoma2619: 1:48am On Apr 13, 2009
yeah i dislike that behavior alot
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by Afam4eva(m): 11:41am On Apr 13, 2009
It's pathetic.
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by manmustwac(m): 1:07pm On Apr 13, 2009
slave mentaltiy
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by lucabrasi(m): 1:29pm On Apr 13, 2009
really?maybe im wrong but i believe igbos actually exhibit their culture more and speak their language more than yorubas especially abroad,they also dont change their names or first names unlike yorubas especially the ladies/girls i could be wrong tho but thats what i have seen
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by tpia: 1:42pm On Apr 13, 2009
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by Abagworo(m): 4:41pm On Apr 13, 2009
as a result of blackmail,hatred,betrayal and marginalisation,many igbos have either denied their roots or refused to teach their children igbo.these stupid set of people are killing our language.in the village during xmass you would hear your brothers speaking yoruba,hausa,french and pidgin.in my grandfathers family half cannot speak igbo.i learnt igbo because i developed the igbo consciousness from experiences.i will make sure all my children learn igbo and know that we are hated and yoruba or hausa will be outlawed in my house.our parents made a big mistake by not letting us know about the genocide so that from birth we could distinguish our friends from foes
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by tpia: 5:27pm On Apr 13, 2009
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by asha80(m): 5:31pm On Apr 13, 2009
arent the ones who "denied their roots" a minority compared to the ones who openly embrace Igbo culture?

On NL alone, how many Igbos do you see denying their roots?

The Igbo threads are hotpockets of activity, Igbo organizations are alive and well everywhere, majority of Igbo nairalanders have Igbo names- so what exaclty is the reason for the bitterness towards the miniscule tiny number of Igbos who arent as active in Igbo matters as the majority?

Even many non-Igbos are more supportive of Igbo culture than their own.

I really dont get it.

Just curios which groups do these and what igbo culture do they support?
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by tpia: 5:37pm On Apr 13, 2009
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by Abagworo(m): 9:03pm On Apr 13, 2009
Most igbos on nairaland are the conscious ones.again scroll down the culture section,you would see at least 3 threads requesting lectures on how to speak and write igbo.i've lived in ilesa and akure.there are yoruba newspapers and everything is done in yoruba including teaching.on the streets a whole lot of people wear traditionals.visit a village in igboland(not a big town like akure or abeokuta) and count the no of traditional attires,igbo newspapers(if any).
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by tpia: 9:26pm On Apr 13, 2009
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by Nobody: 12:50am On Apr 14, 2009
Abagworo:

as a result of blackmail,hatred,betrayal and marginalisation,many igbos have either denied their roots or refused to teach their children igbo.these stupid set of people are killing our language.in the village during xmass you would hear your brothers speaking yoruba,hausa,french and pidgin.in my grandfathers family half cannot speak igbo.i learnt igbo because i developed the igbo consciousness from experiences.[b]i will make sure all my children learn igbo and know that we are hated and yoruba or hausa will be outlawed in my house.[/b]our parents made a big mistake by not letting us know about the genocide so that from birth we could distinguish our friends from foes

Before I start with you, are you a Christian?
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by Nobody: 12:52am On Apr 14, 2009
Why is it that Igbo people that live outside Igbo land find it difficult to speak Igbo to each other. I've noticed that whenever i meet an Igbo person and make an attempt to speak the language to them they kinda feel embarrased. But yorubas always speak their language in the class to one another, while the Igbo ones would rather speak english to other Igbo students.

Do you know if they can speak it or not?
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by Afam4eva(m): 11:20am On Apr 14, 2009
stillwater:

Do you know if they can speak it or not?

It's not about whether they can speak it or not, but they just don't want to cos they feel shy speaking it.
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by Nobody: 11:43am On Apr 14, 2009
Never come across that sha.
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by Bbeee: 4:17pm On Apr 14, 2009
@topic
cos dey cant speak it nah cool
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by chiogo(f): 8:54pm On Apr 14, 2009
Who are these igbos really? Poster, can you give me a calculated amount of people YOU saw doing this? If they're less than 10, don't even bother your head.
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by Ifygurl: 6:42am On Apr 15, 2009
Aren't you the one that claimed Igbo lanuguae is dying off, now igbos are shying away from speaking igbo.
Afam4eva, question. How many igbos have you noticed doing this?
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by Afam4eva(m): 5:32pm On Apr 15, 2009
Ifygurl:

Aren't you the one that claimed Igbo lanuguae is dying off, now igbos are shying away from speaking igbo.
Afam4eva, question. How many igbos have you noticed doing this?

I'm talking of those that can speak,especially the educated ones.
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by Nobody: 5:47pm On Apr 15, 2009
afam4eva:

I'm talking of those that can speak,especially the educated ones.
Your statement makes it seem as though you're generalising, not at all saying that you are, but that is how it seems. Are you?
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by romeo(m): 5:54pm On Apr 15, 2009
@poster
live by example!! visit igbo kwenu thread and write igbo sometimes Mr. Afam4eva.
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by tpia: 5:58pm On Apr 15, 2009
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by Afam4eva(m): 6:15pm On Apr 15, 2009
@Ibkaye

I'm not generalizing. . . It's just that it's common with many Igbos. . . that's all
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by romeo(m): 7:37pm On Apr 15, 2009
It's more common with people like you Afam. I want to see you in Igbo kwenu thread then i will take your words to be a serious one.
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by Ikomi(m): 12:02am On Apr 16, 2009
romeo:

It's more common with people like you Afam. I want to see you in Igbo kwenu thread then i will take your words to be a serious one.

romeo:

@poster
live by example!! visit igbo kwenu thread and write igbo sometimes Mr. Afam4eva.

Dont mind the burger. angry

Afa ya wu afam? angry
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by Lamidiobi1: 4:19am On Apr 16, 2009
because they dont want to be mixed with criminal tribe. if am ibo i will be ashamed to accept it too.
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by chikeuz(m): 6:31pm On Oct 23, 2011
its good to know that this matter is also of constant worry to other Igbos. The reason for this may be due to an inferior complex igbos-in general all Negroes have ingrained in them as a result of slavery, then colonisation
once u know u have a problem, then its half solved. For the renegade Igbos to have a change of mind: their should cultural pride-let all the igbos (Negroes) start thinking the best of ourselves no matter whatever the likes of CNN, Times, Vogue, Rolling stone, etc, writes.
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by chikeuz(m): 6:40pm On Oct 23, 2011
Lamidi-obi:

because they dont want to be mixed with criminal tribe. if am ibo i will be ashamed to accept it too.
Bia nwoke m, ogbete a maghi n'otu onye a biaghi ahia. Just so you'll know: we don't like it mixed! U have every reason to be ashamed, what? With ur ancestry one could so cry for shame
Re: Who Do Igbos Feel Shy speaking Igbo by NwaNri(f): 3:28pm On Jun 30, 2012
Some Igbos just don't know how to speak Igbo. As for the educated ones that know how to speak and are ashamed to speak it in public and also refuse to teach their children born abroad how to speak it, ala babwe ha. They are the reason our beautiful language is slowly dying.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Precept Of Yoruba History? / Inter Tribal Marriage / Colourful Reed Dance And Cultural Celebration That Promotes Respect For Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.