Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,111 members, 7,807,355 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:40 PM

Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] (29931 Views)

2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [government Thread] / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Veronica0705(f): 12:31pm On Jan 08, 2016
OluchiDelly:

Quantum numbers QN are nos which describe electron(s) with respect to its atomic orbital /shell.
There are 4 of them:
Principal quantum number (PQN)
azimuthal or subsidiary quantum number AQN
magnetic Quantum number MQN
spin quantum number SQN

I will be talking on each in segments so as not to be too boring while reading. Watch out for the next segment.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Veronica0705(f): 12:34pm On Jan 08, 2016
OluchiDelly:

Quantum numbers QN are nos which describe electron(s) with respect to its atomic orbital /shell.
There are 4 of them:
Principal quantum number (PQN)
azimuthal or subsidiary quantum number AQN
magnetic Quantum number MQN
spin quantum number SQN

I will be talking on each in segments so as not to be too boring while reading. Watch out for the next segment.
. tanx a lot , I will be looking forward for the explanation
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Veronica0705(f): 12:35pm On Jan 08, 2016
Geofavor:

hi

what exactly about them is giving you problems? What don't you know about them?
. everything about that topic
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Veronica0705(f): 12:47pm On Jan 08, 2016
OluchiDelly:
2. azimuthal quantum no. It is denoted by i. It describes the NUMBER /TYPE/SHAPE OF ORBITAL that can be found in a given energy level(PQN). i ranges from 0,1,2,3...
0 implies s-orbital, shape=spherical
1 implies p-orbital, shape=dumbbell
2 implies d-orbital, shape=double dumbbell
3 implies f-orbital....

This is how the numbers are arrived at.

The formula is i=n-1(write out your answer from zero, since it ranges from 0).

If n=1(K-shell), i=1-1=0, meaning that on K-shell, you have only one orbital which is S-orbital(since zero stands for s-orbital)

If n=2, i=n-1,then i=2-1=1..... (0,1) (remember, count out your answer from zero) Then count the digits, no of digits=no of orbitals. There are two digits(0,1) meaning there are two orbitals in L-shell (S and P).

Let's apply this principle for 3rd energy level

If n=3, i=n-1, 3-1=2....(0,1,2) meaning there are 3 types of orbitals in M-shell.
0 stands for S
1 stands for p
2 stands for d

Pls, try work out on a sheet of paper the number/type of orbitals (i.e the azimuthal quantum number) on N-shell based on this explanation.

I will take a pause here to entertain your questions before I proceed.
. my question is what is the difference btw shell , orbitals and subshell. then what does it mean when an element is said to be at the ground state or excited state.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 5:18pm On Jan 08, 2016
Veronica0705:
. my question is what is the difference btw shell , orbitals and subshell.
modified*
an orbital is the same as a subshell. Orbitals are spaces in SHELLs were electrons are found. These shells are either named with numbers (called quantum numbers) or with letters (called shells). The numbers are 1, 2, 3, 4 ... And so on, while the letters are K, L, M, N .... And so on. Where.

K = 1
L = 2
M = 3
N = 4 ...
And so on

these shells are generally called ENERGY LEVELS.

Just as different grades of schools have different amount of classes, so does the different shells have different amount of sub-shells.

K = s
L = s, p
M = s, p, d
N = s, p, d, f ...
And so on.

then what does it mean when an element is said to be at the ground state or excited state.
modified*
the closest shell (or energy level) to the nucleus of an atom is the K SHELL. This ENERGY LEVEL is known as the ground state. Sometimes, however, electrons gain energy (get excited) and jump from that energy level to a higher energy level. When this happens, the electron is said to be in an excited state.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Veronica0705(f): 7:22pm On Jan 08, 2016
Geofavor:
modified*
an orbital is the same as a subshell. Orbitals are spaces in SHELLs were electrons are found. These shells are either named with numbers (called quantum numbers) or with letters (called shells). The numbers are 1, 2, 3, 4 ... And so on, while the letters are K, L, M, N .... And so on. Where.

K = 1
L = 2
M = 3
N = 4 ...
And so on

these shells are generally called ENERGY LEVELS.

Just as different grades of schools have different amount of classes, so does the different shells have different amount of sub-shells.

K = s
L = s, p
M = s, p, d
N = s, p, d, f ...
And so on.

the closest shell (or energy level) to the nucleus of an atom is the K orbital. This orbital is known as the ground state. Sometimes, however, electrons gain energy (get excited) and jump from that energy level to a higher energy level. When this happens, the electron is said to be in an excited state.
. tanx a lot. now I understand it well
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 8:20pm On Jan 08, 2016
Veronica0705:
. tanx a lot. now I understand it well
you're welcome.

Just a little mistake.. In the second explanation, I meant K shell not K orbital. pls check that again
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by OluchiDelly: 9:23pm On Jan 08, 2016
Veronica0705:
. my question is what is the difference btw shell , orbitals and subshell. then what does it mean when an element is said to be at the ground state or excited state.

I can see Geofavor has done justice to your question.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jan 08, 2016
[email] Icecalm okay. [/email]
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by OluchiDelly: 10:01pm On Jan 08, 2016
... Cont'd

3. Magnetic Quantum number. This is denoted by m. It describes degeneracy(compartments) in the orbitals.

To know degeneracy in orbitals, use this formula
m=2i+1 "i" is our AQN(i.e the orbitals, the values range from 0, 1,2, 3,...).
Let's do substitution :
For i=0(remember that 0 implies s-orbital),
m=2(0)+1=1.....Meaning s-orbital has 1 degeneracy(compartment)

For i=1...(p-orbital)
m=2(1)+1=3....three compartments(Px, Py, Pz)

pls try i=2(d-orbital), and i=3.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by OluchiDelly: 10:48pm On Jan 08, 2016
4. Spin Quantum number.. SQN..... (S) ... It describes the spin/orientation/direction of the two electrons in the degenerate orbitals. One has a clockwise spin (+1/2) and the 2nd has an anti clockwise spin of -1/2.
That is why we use 2 arrows in opposite directions (up and down arrows) to represent (the spin of) electrons.

In summary,
PQN simply gives info about shells
AQN simply gives info about orbitals
MQN simply gives info about the no of "compartments" in orbitals
SQN simply tells us that there must be max of 2 electrons with opposite spin per "degenerate" orbital.

The End.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Oxytocin(m): 1:08am On Jan 09, 2016
Nice thread cool
Oluchi, are you an aspirant?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Veronica0705(f): 8:57am On Jan 09, 2016
OluchiDelly:

4. Spin Quantum number.. SQN..... (S) ... It describes the spin/orientation/direction of the two electrons in the degenerate orbitals. One has a clockwise spin (+1/2) and the 2nd has an anti clockwise spin of -1/2.
That is why we use 2 arrows in opposite directions (up and down arrows) to represent (the spin of) electrons.

In summary,
PQN simply gives info about shells
AQN simply gives info about orbitals
MQN simply gives info about the no of "compartments" in orbitals
SQN simply tells us that there must be max of 2 electrons with opposite spin per "degenerate" orbital.

The End.
. tanx to u guys
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by OluchiDelly: 9:42am On Jan 09, 2016
Oxytocin:
Nice thread cool
Oluchi, are you an aspirant?
Nope! I graduated yrs ago.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by OluchiDelly: 10:06am On Jan 09, 2016
Veronica0705:
. tanx to u guys

UWC.

let me add this.... "Pauli's exclusion principle."
The principle states that no two electrons can share all the 4 quantum numbers(PQN, AQN, MQN, SQN).
Meaning that no matter how 2 electrons may be identical, they can never have the same spin. They can share same PQN(SHELL), AQN(ORBITAL), MQN(COMPARTMENTS), but cannot have same SQN.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jan 09, 2016
Tobiee:
[email] Icecalm okay. [/email]
okay, sorry I didn't complete the explanation. Please try to go through your textbook on the periodic table and quote me for other things you don't understand.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 7:55am On Jan 27, 2016
it's been a while here. Where are you guys? Don't you have questions or one or two things to add, and so on?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 7:56am On Jan 27, 2016
Btw, icecalm and oluchidelly, thank you for your work here.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by serenityaliyu(m): 1:53pm On Jan 27, 2016
pls I want u guys to help me on dis....Q-calculate the mass of magnesium that would be deposited by 8F of electricity. (a)96g(b)48g(c)72g(d)120g
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Oxytocin(m): 2:04pm On Jan 27, 2016
serenityaliyu:
pls I want u guys to help me on dis....Q-calculate the mass of magnesium that would be deposited by 8F of electricity. (a)96g(b)48g(c)72g(d)120g
Mg=Mg² +2e
Mg= 2F
Therefore
24g of Magnesium =2 ×1F
Xg of magnesium= 8F
X= 24 × 8/2
X=96 g........ A
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by serenityaliyu(m): 2:06pm On Jan 27, 2016
Oxytocin:
Mg=Mg² +2e Mg= 2F Therefore 24g of Magnesium =2 ×1F Xg of magnesium= 8F X= 24 × 8/2 X=96 g........ A
thanks
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by serenityaliyu(m): 2:08pm On Jan 27, 2016
serenityaliyu:
thanks
will be glad, if u can throw more light on electrolysis
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Oxytocin(m): 2:18pm On Jan 27, 2016
serenityaliyu:
will be glad, if u can throw more light on electrolysis
I am not really good in expounding. You could just share the areas you are having difficulty, I will be glad to help.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by serenityaliyu(m): 2:32pm On Jan 27, 2016
Oxytocin:
I am not really good in expounding. You could just share the areas you are having difficulty, I will be glad to help.
OK thanks
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jan 27, 2016
[color=#550000][/color]
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jan 27, 2016
[center][/center][color=#550000][/color]
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jan 27, 2016
[color=#550000][/color]
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jan 30, 2016
wonderful work going on here. cheesy

But I dislike chemistry embarassed
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Geofavor(m): 7:42pm On Jan 30, 2016
ShyNeptune:
wonderful work going on here. cheesy But I dislike chemistry embarassed
are you a jambite?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jan 30, 2016
Geofavor:
are you a jambite?
yeah.... embarassed

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Augusta Uwamanzu-Nna Accepted By Eight Ivy League Schools / Federal University, Lafia: Sex Scandal, Islamic Agenda Allegations / Lassa Fever Kills AAUA Student, Another Shot Dead By Cultists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.