Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,480 members, 7,808,750 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:19 PM

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway - Travel (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway (551016 Views)

Over 100 Nigerians deported from Norway, three others / Nigerian Friends In Oslo/sandefjord Norway / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (154) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by olajidegeo(m): 4:14pm On Nov 30, 2015
AMEN! AMEN!! AMEN!!! AMEN!!!! AMEN!!!!!. Let the prayer and fasting begin smiley
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by olujastro: 7:55pm On Nov 30, 2015
olajidegeo:
At last, I was able to conclude my application to Uni Oslo and UiT. Really appreciate you guys a lot. God bless you all. We will all share the testimony. wink[color=#006600][/color]

What course did you settle with for UiT?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by olujastro: 8:12pm On Nov 30, 2015
olajidegeo:
AMEN! AMEN!! AMEN!!! AMEN!!!! AMEN!!!!!. Let the prayer and fasting begin smiley

Fasting and Prayer, Really?
I feel like joining you this time. I'm not used to going this route throughout the course of my life. God has just been faithful to me considering how things have been working well for me all my life. Something deep down tells me I might need this this time.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Nitta08(f): 9:37pm On Nov 30, 2015
AMEN and AMEN.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by olajidegeo(m): 10:35pm On Nov 30, 2015
olujastro:

MSc Geology (specialization in Petroleum Geoscience)
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by olajidegeo(m): 10:36pm On Nov 30, 2015
olujastro:

MSc Geology (specialization in Petroleum Geoscience)
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Nobody: 7:39am On Dec 02, 2015
Hello Every one please am working hard at getting a Ph.D position in norway. Kindly assist with info especially regarding living costs, tution, funding and Visa issuance.

Thanks.

My course is Electrical Power Engineering and I have a B.Tech and M.Eng already.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by rinzylee(m): 10:01pm On Dec 02, 2015
deadline never reach? anyway search for schools nah.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by olujastro: 6:40pm On Dec 04, 2015
Anyone here planning to apply to UiS(Stavanger) here? Would like to make enquiries about certain issues.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by lobito007(m): 7:48pm On Dec 04, 2015
olujastro:
Anyone here planning to apply to UiS(Stavanger) here? Would like to make enquiries about certain issues.
Hit me!
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Phemmie72: 11:43am On Dec 05, 2015
Dear All,

Good day to you.

I am interested in migrating to Norway with my family. Kindly advise me on the best channel I could use and please include useful links.

I await your prompt response.

Thanks.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by olujastro: 8:07pm On Dec 05, 2015
lobito007:

Hit me!

This is what I saw on transcripts on UiS site :
"Transcript of records from all university education If possible, should be issued directly by your university and provided in a sealed envelope. If not, it has to be a certified copy. Other copies are not accepted."
I have a stamped copy of my transcript issued by my university as student's copy. I could easily pay my school to issue one directly to UiS for this application, but the thing is this UiS application is via courier and I don't have the time to forward my other documents to my school to add to my transcript as one parcel.
I'm thinking of using the copy I have so I can go to DHL myself since they gave the option of using a certified transcript as well. What do you think?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by rinzylee(m): 9:14pm On Dec 05, 2015
olujastro:

This is what I saw on transcripts on UiS site :
"Transcript of records from all university education If possible, should be issued directly by your university and provided in a sealed envelope. If not, it has to be a certified copy. Other copies are not accepted."
I have a stamped copy of my transcript issued by my university as student's copy. I could easily pay my school to issue one directly to UiS for this application, but the thing is this UiS application is via courier and I don't have the time to forward my other documents to my school to add to my transcript as one parcel.
I'm thinking of using the copy I have so I can go to DHL myself since they gave the option of using a certified transcript as well. What do you think?

please dont try it, white people dont joke with integrity and instructions. find any means and send those docs, its just 15k for UNN. they know we have student copy transcripts in Nigeria, so they have a reason for asking for Direct ones. otherwise kindly go to the nearest ministry of education and certify your results. I want to see you at the airport as we leave for Norway by August next year. Gods Grace
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Ezegozie(m): 10:22pm On Dec 05, 2015
When I was in 3hundred level, i used to have interest in doing my Msc in Norway immediately after graduation.
But now that I am serving my fatherland,
there is No interest at all to do my Msc immediately after service due to lack of finance.

I wish you all luck as you apply to Norwegian Universities

For those in Canada, I will join you guys when the money is made.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by rinzylee(m): 12:50am On Dec 06, 2015
Ezegozie:
When I was in 3hundred level, i used to have interest in doing my Msc in Norway immediately after graduation.
But now that I am serving my fatherland,
there is No interest at all to do my Msc immediately after service due to lack of finance.

I wish you all luck as you apply to Norwegian Universities

For those in Canada, I will join you guys when the money is made.

If finance is the problem, then Canada is worse cos the cost of schooling there is quite expensive and much more than norway. Bro believe God and start out, something can happen. Just dare to start.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Ezegozie(m): 6:48am On Dec 06, 2015
rinzylee:

If finance is the problem, then Canada is worse cos the cost of schooling there is quite expensive and much more than norway. Bro believe God and start out, something can happen. Just dare to start.

You dont seem to understand my point.

I said when the money is made.
Meaning that its not now, but later when I have accumulated money.
I know that schools in Canada can be quite expensive, but I prefer Canada to Norway
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Bandeco(m): 7:02am On Dec 06, 2015
Ezegozie:

You dont seem to understand my point.

I said when the money is made.
Meaning that its not now, but later when I have accumulated money.
I know that schools in Canada can be quite expensive, but I prefer Canada to Norway
Why do u prefer Canada to Norway? Just asking so pple can take a clue from ur opinion in making decisions
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Bandeco(m): 7:03am On Dec 06, 2015
rinzylee:

Arinze, does u Norwegian University accept 2.2? What is my chance with 2.2
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Ezegozie(m): 10:54am On Dec 06, 2015
Bandeco:

Why do u prefer Canada to Norway? Just asking so pple can take a clue from ur opinion in making decisions

A very nice question.

(1) Canada's lingua franca is English while English language is not the lingua Franca in Norway, which makes it hard for you to adapt and mingle easily.

(2) Canada is more prestigious than Norway when it comes to quality education.
Take for instance, you are unable to secure skillful job over there and you come back to Nigeria.
Companies in Nigeria will value certificates from Canada, UK and USA more than that of Norway.
Because they believe and have that mentality that these three countries are very good in education.
Bitter truth.

(3) Cost of living in Norway is outrageous. No doubt Norway is the second most costly country to live in the whole world after Switzerland.
So dont be decieved by the FREE EDUCATION.
Education might be free, but cost of living is not free.

(4) Permament Residency and job are easier to obtain in Canada than Norway.
In Norway, you are given some time after your graduation (I think 6months )to find job or you get back to Nigeria, and reasonable jobs are hard to see for a foreigner (let alone an African) unless you are fluent in Norwegian language or you are exceptionally good and experienced.
But in canada, getting Visa may be harder but its worth it, because you stand a better chance of making it bigger in Canada than in Norway.

(5) Let me not talk about the multi-cultural event in Canada and the weather in Norway because you already know of that.
And to me this one is not so important, since most Nigerians going there is not going for comfort but going with the aim of making it big
In summary, Norway is very good but I prefer to do my Msc in Canda and even Germany to doing it in Norway.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Bandeco(m): 4:42pm On Dec 06, 2015
Ezegozie:

A very nice question.

(1) Canada's lingua franca is English while English language is not the lingua Franca in Norway, which makes it hard for you to adapt and mingle easily.

Take for instance, you are unable to secure skillful job over there and you come back to Nigeria.
Companies in Nigeria will value certificates from Canada, UK and USA more than that of Norway.
Because they believe and have that mentality that these three countries are very good in education.
Bitter truth.

(3) Cost of living in Norway is outrageous. No doubt Norway is the second most costly country to live in the whole world after Switzerland.

In Norway, you are given some time after your graduation (I think 6months )to find job or you get back to Nigeria, and reasonable jobs are hard to see for a foreigner (let alone an African) unless you are fluent in Norwegian language or you are exceptionally good and experienced.
But in canada, getting Visa may be harder but its worth it, because you stand a better chance of making it bigger in Canada than in Norway.

(5) Let me not talk about the multi-cultural event in Canada and the weather in Norway because you already know of that.
And to me this one is not so important, since most Nigerians going there is not going for comfort but going with the aim of making it big
In summary, Norway is very good but I prefer to do my Msc in Canda and even Germany to doing it in Norway.
Okay... Nice one.. I will consider
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by lobito007(m): 6:14pm On Dec 06, 2015
@Ezegozie, talking about quality of education, have you seen the ranking of some Norwegian universities viz UiO, NTNU and UiS?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Nobody: 6:16pm On Dec 06, 2015
The whole thing he said is the truth writing from experience tho.. Norge is very difficult
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by olujastro: 6:24pm On Dec 06, 2015
Ezegozie:

A very nice question.

Bitter truth.

While I quite agree with all ur points, the reality is you'll need nothing less than a 300k paying job for abt 3 yrs after ur NYSC to be able to afford both tuition and living expenses in Canada. Meaning one may have to chill till like 2018 thereabouts. While the N2.5m for Norway is quite easier to come up with in a shorter time.
But once you can get into Canada, it's super worth it.
So you can see why some of us are taking the shorter route even though it may not be the best choice of countries available.
I only wished to work 2yrs here b4 Msc, now it's 2yrs plus. I can't wait beyond 2016 all for Canada.
Another turn off for Norway is the language. The accent is crazy compared to French(pretty easy for me). I have two Norwegian colleagues here, one even dashed me an English-Norwegian dictionary. But d problem is, every sentence I learn and speak to them, they'll hardly understand till I virtually write it down for them to see what I was trying to say. I just tire!
So my brother, like I've been told, I'm just gonna have faith in God on it. If He makes it possible for me to do my Msc in Norway, then He definitely has great plans for me. He's brought me this far to leave me to my fate.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by rinzylee(m): 6:50pm On Dec 06, 2015
why not see it this way...get into Norway , and while doing your Msc, apply for migration to Canada or Australia through the skillled migration programe. that way you would have a Masters in hand and a Permanent residency into any of these two countries. God can set you up for the big stage in any country, we walk by FAITH and not by sight!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by olajidegeo(m): 8:24pm On Dec 06, 2015
rinzylee:
why not see it this way...get into Norway , and while doing your Msc, apply for migration to Canada or Australia through the skillled migration programe. that way you would have a Masters in hand and a Permanent residency into any of these two countries. God can set you up for the big stage in any country, we walk by FAITH and not by sight!

I totally agree with you on this. Also, You can learn to speak Norway's language within the two years of ur masters (@ least to an acceptable level). And who says you can't get a good job even after completing your master's there. Also, your ability to speak another language different from your lingua franca gives you an edge in the global market. I have no ill-fellings about canada. I just prefer Norway. God bless
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Nobody: 9:08am On Dec 07, 2015
Yeah that's very good, got a friend who did that and got into Canada.. But now ask your self what's the chance of getting into that program too.. Well Norge is a good country but as difficult as well.. Will advice if anyone here is going for enger program the person should go for Sweden which has a lot of companies such as Volvo,Abb, Ericsson and others too which I know that employs foreigners mostly to do there master thesis in ... As I said am writing frm experience.. Tusen tack
rinzylee:
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by rinzylee(m): 9:48pm On Dec 07, 2015
My cousin did his masters in Uni Oslo. He presently lives in Kongsberg and works as a sun sea engineer there. This guy is worth at least 5,000$ every month, ask me how and i will show you how much he has pumped into my account here in naija. Amazingly he got this job one year into his masters program. God does not bless because of geographical location, He is the owner of the whole world. DARE HIM WITH YOUR FAITH. I speak French already so I would learn the Norge language too. God bless

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by lobito007(m): 11:07pm On Dec 07, 2015
Well, looks like my dream of a Norwegian study may be abandoned. After getting rejected by NTNU earlier this year, I decided to try Univ of Stavanger this window. Before the application proper, you are required to fill out a survey form which asks about your first degree study. After filling the CGPA portion in which mine falls between the 70%-80% interval, I was informed of my ineligibility for Msc in offshore engineering. I tried the survey for all the available Msc courses that suit my first degree programme, mech eng, but the response was the same. Thought it may have been a fluke. Mailed them, but they confirmed it.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by rinzylee(m): 11:17pm On Dec 07, 2015
Norway is gradually becoming a destination for Msc in Engineering. Nigerians amongst many Africans are getting interested and they have increased their eligibility standards. Don't be discouraged bro...why not try a diff course and see if you can get admitted and then find your way from there.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by malaoluolateju: 2:34pm On Dec 08, 2015
@lobitoo7 dat is exactly my case with UIS.
@rinzylee what are d possibilities of switching to ones preferred program, if one gets in via another program?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by lobito007(m): 3:10pm On Dec 08, 2015
rinzylee:
Norway is gradually becoming a destination for Msc in Engineering. Nigerians amongst many Africans are getting interested and they have increased their eligibility standards. Don't be discouraged bro...why not try a diff course and see if you can get admitted and then find your way from there.
A different course? All their courses have this same requirement.

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (154) (Reply)

General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.