Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,461 members, 7,801,146 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:31 AM

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway - Travel (63) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway (550163 Views)

Over 100 Nigerians deported from Norway, three others / Nigerian Friends In Oslo/sandefjord Norway / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (154) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Bandeco(m): 7:48am On Apr 07, 2017
coolsegun2002:

U seem to have a problem with the guy's grade...some pple are sort good academically...but they aren't really intelligent and versatile...I used to have a friend in college. The guy has a photographic memory which helped him to remember all they teach us..we call him la-cram la-pour.. he graduated with a CGPA of 4.42
When we graduated I got a job befor him...he asked me to connect him t pple that helped me...I told him I search online and subscribe to naijahot jobs and so on.....i gave him d links..u won't beleive this dude will open the links and be commenting in the "leave a comment section" at the bottom of the job advert page. He will drop his fone number and email saying he is interested in the job...

u'll be suprised some pple with good grades don't know how to navigate the internet to get what they are looking for..If tell u I make some small bucks helping pple apply for admission abroad in my spare time..what will u now say? ....as in people with 4.0 GP and above..good grades doesn't automatically translate to beign smart and intelligent all the time
You are totally correct. I can relate to your submission.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by niyogeol(m): 2:26pm On Apr 10, 2017
Life some times can be funny. I applied to NTNU last year and I was denied admission. So this 17/18 session, I just re-submitted my previous document on their website, and viola, I got a place for MSc Petroleum Geosciences.

The issue now is that I hold offer for the same course in Ireland - tuition applies in this case but I have scholarship to offset the cost. Another thing is the MSc in Ireland is one year while that in Norway is two years.

Duration is not really a concern, but the chance of getting a job after studies. So my question goes to guys who have studied in Norway, how easy is it for a non-EU person to get a job in Norway Oil industry after studies. I have read here on the monetary requirement for a post study visa. That shouldn't pose a challenge as the scholarship I plan using for Ireland will cover for the requirement.

Looking forward to kind response(s) from fellow nlanders.

Regards.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 10:15pm On Apr 10, 2017
niyogeol:
Life some times can be funny. I applied to NTNU last year and I was denied admission. So this 17/18 session, I just re-submitted my previous document on their website, and viola, I got a place for MSc Petroleum Geosciences.

The issue now is that I hold offer for the same course in Ireland - tuition applies in this case but I have scholarship to offset the cost. Another thing is the MSc in Ireland is one year while that in Norway is two years.

Duration is not really a concern, but the chance of getting a job after studies. So my question goes to guys who have studied in Norway, how easy is it for a non-EU person to get a job in Norway Oil industry after studies. I have read here on the monetary requirement for a post study visa. That shouldn't pose a challenge as the scholarship I plan using for Ireland will cover for the requirement.

Regards.

Congratulations on your admission.

Oil in general is gradually being replaced by renewable energy sources. Norway especially wants to be at the forefront as new and better energy sources are being developed. It has become easier to gain admission due to a declining interest in oil-related work (the obvious ethical issues of which more and more people have become aware, innovation in renewables etc.). Norway has seen some pretty significant cuts in the oil industry as a result and a lot of people have lost their jobs as of recently.

Based on that, I'd say the chances of obtaining work are rather slim, but not impossible.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by rinzylee(m): 12:27am On Apr 11, 2017
niyogeol:

Regards.

Find your way to Ireland Sir!
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Bandeco(m): 4:51am On Apr 11, 2017
rinzylee:

Find your way to Ireland Sir!
Expound on your position so the op can make an informed decision.

It is not just enough to tell some to go somewhere without stating reasons for it.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by niyogeol(m): 6:29am On Apr 11, 2017
StarFlux:

Oil in general is gradually being replaced by renewable energy sources. Norway especially wants to be at the forefront as new and better energy sources are being developed. It has become easier to gain admission due to a declining interest in oil-related work (the obvious ethical issues of which more and more people have become aware, innovation in renewables etc.). Norway has seen some pretty significant cuts in the oil industry as a result and a lot of people have lost their jobs as of recently.

Based on that, I'd say the chances of obtaining work are rather slim, but not impossible.
Thank you for your response. Do you by chance work in the Oil Industry in Norway?

As for the renewable energies stories, the debate is huge and different people oppose and support the trend alike. Regardless of the divide we find ourselves, fossil fuel still has a role to play in our lives.

I'm elated you took time out to respond to me. Thanks once again.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by olujastro: 7:29am On Apr 11, 2017
Renewable is growing but slowly, non renewable will continue to be dominant in the future. There are no jobs in Norway at the moment. The politics of oil prices has never been this complex so no one can say categorically that things will pick up soon. Thousands have since been laid off from work, same thing worldwide. Those who graduated before oil prices crashed got jobs. All those I met when I got here who graduated last year have moved to other countries, some back to Nigeria, while some still remain doing other things. Have you seen entry level oil jobs ads in Nigeria? It's the same thing almost everywhere. Oil is oil.
We have given you almost all you need to know to inform your choice of Norway. Do your research about Ireland, compare your options and decide which suits you more.
I know people will still ask this question about jobs. Nothing in life is certain, not even the life that you have. All we're doing is taking a chance in the midst of uncertainties for whatever lies ahead.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by rinzylee(m): 6:01pm On Apr 11, 2017
Bandeco:

Expound on your position so the op can make an informed decision.

It is not just enough to tell some to go somewhere without stating reasons for it.

Oga boss... You na Baba nah. Anyway looking at the two countries especially with the blind Oil future I don't vote Norway .
To start with, I don't know how easy it is to get jobs there anymore recounting experiences of friends who landed there btw 2015 and Now. It was easier landing jobs 7-8 years ago at least my bro got a job with FMC technologies by his 2nd year of Msc.
Lastly, UK may have a shorter length of time allowed Foreigners but if you play your cards well you can become relevant enough to land a good job. Except for medical professionals especially Dentists Norway which is a heavy oil economy may not be the best.

I am not trying to discourage anyone, but I would advice that you start working on your skilled migration to Canada, Australia or somewhere else so you can have multiple options after Masters in Norway.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.!!
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by niyogeol(m): 6:05pm On Apr 11, 2017
olujastro:
Renewable is growing but slowly, non renewable will continue to be dominant in the future. There are no jobs in Norway at the moment. The politics of oil prices has never been this complex so no one can say categorically that things will pick up soon. Thousands have since been laid off from work, same thing worldwide. Those who graduated before oil prices crashed got jobs. All those I met when I got here who graduated last year have moved to other countries, some back to Nigeria, while some still remain doing other things. Have you seen entry level oil jobs ads in Nigeria? It's the same thing almost everywhere. Oil is oil.
We have given you almost all you need to know to inform your choice of Norway. Do your research about Ireland, compare your options and decide which suits you more.
I know people will still ask this question about jobs. Nothing in life is certain, not even the life that you have. All we're doing is taking a chance in the midst of uncertainties for whatever lies ahead.
Real talk. Thanks.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by bucky123(m): 6:31am On Apr 13, 2017
michael1385:
Just got admission to ntnu m.sc physics. I don't know how to cope there without working.

Hello , please what is your CGPA?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by btee234: 3:24pm On Apr 13, 2017
Hello, please, i need help on this forum , i am currently in egypt i applied for resident permit for studies in latvia from there embassy in egypt but i was deined , that was last year nov ever since then i have been in egypt but checking things about norway i think i like the country i want to apply to any school now , please i want to ask i hope there wont be problem if i apply for there visa here in egypt and i hope they wont denied me because i was denied in latvia embassy . the reason why was denied in latvia was that they said they are not sure if i would be coming back to my country back . i need a good school that i can apply to in norway.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by michael1385: 3:34pm On Apr 13, 2017
bucky123:

Hello , please what is your CGPA?

My CGPA is 4.25
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Nobody: 3:55pm On Apr 13, 2017
btee234:
Hello, please, i need help on this forum , i am currently in egypt i applied for resident permit for studies in latvia from there embassy in egypt but i was deined , that was last year nov ever since then i have been in egypt but checking things about norway i think i like the country i want to apply to any school now , please i want to ask i hope there wont be problem if i apply for there visa here in egypt and i hope they wont denied me because i was denied in latvia embassy . the reason why was denied in latvia was that they said they are not sure if i would be coming back to my country back . i need a good school that i can apply to in norway.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by trilobite: 10:00pm On Apr 14, 2017
StarFlux:

Oga StarFlux, been following your comments and on behalf of applicants like myself i say: THANK YOU.

I am inclined to agree with you as the situation is dire everywhere one looks. However a lot can still change in two years in the oil sector, and i would also advise we petroleum geoscience applicants to consider environmental specializations to be on the safe side.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by osic(m): 1:24pm On Apr 15, 2017
From all I've read, people who have 2.1 don't have hope, anyway congratulations to all those who have gained admission.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by trilobite: 2:03pm On Apr 15, 2017
osic:
From all I've read, people who have 2.1 don't have hope, anyway congratulations to all those who have gained admission.

depends on the field you're applying to as some are just too competitive. 2.2 can get admitted in fields like biochemistry. Just put God in it.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by osic(m): 2:40pm On Apr 15, 2017
trilobite:

depends on the field you're applying to as some are just too competitive. 2.2 can get admitted in fields like biochemistry. Just put God in it.

Is there hope for someone with 2.2 in an agricultural course
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 8:20pm On Apr 15, 2017
niyogeol:
Thank you for your response. Do you by chance work in the Oil Industry in Norway?

As for the renewable energies stories, the debate is huge and different people oppose and support the trend alike. Regardless of the divide we find ourselves, fossil fuel still has a role to play in our lives.

I'm elated you took time out to respond to me. Thanks once again.
Very true. Glad to be of help smiley!

trilobite:

Oga StarFlux, been following your comments and on behalf of applicants like myself i say: THANK YOU.

I am inclined to agree with you as the situation is dire everywhere one looks. However a lot can still change in two years in the oil sector, and i would also advise we petroleum geoscience applicants to consider environmental specializations to be on the safe side.
Appreciate the kind words, thank you!

Indeed. Enviromental studies have been (not sure about now) much easier to gain admittance to than petroleum sciences. It's also a field of education within which the demand will keep increasing, whereas petroleum will continue to decline (although people will retire and jobs will open up that way; still a net loss). Solar power will probably be huge in sunny countries like Nigeria sef, and the market is increasing.

Interestingly enough, I put a small amount of money into a Norwegian enviromental fund, and the % profit keeps increasing by every year. If I had put that money (however small) into the oil sector, I'd most likely have lost and not gained. Just a personal observation on my part.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by trilobite: 1:03am On Apr 16, 2017
osic:

Is there hope for someone with 2.2 in an agricultural course
depending on the course.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by niyogeol(m): 6:41pm On Apr 16, 2017
trilobite:

Hello Trilobite, I can see you also a geoscientist, welcome on board. Have you applied or just intend applying?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by niyogeol(m): 6:46pm On Apr 16, 2017
StarFlux:
Very true. Glad to be of help smiley!

Appreciate the kind words, thank you!

Indeed. Enviromental studies have been (not sure about now) much easier to gain admittance to than petroleum sciences. It's also a field of education within which the demand will keep increasing, whereas petroleum will continue to decline (although people will retire and jobs will open up that way; still a net loss). Solar power will probably be huge in sunny countries like Nigeria sef, and the market is increasing.

Interestingly enough, I put a small amount of money into a Norwegian enviromental fund, and the % profit keeps increasing by every year. If I had put that money (however small) into the oil sector, I'd most likely have lost and not gained. Just a personal observation on my part.
Hello Starflux. Any idea what Profs look at in giving one PhD position over there?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by salford: 7:18pm On Apr 16, 2017
olujastro:
I dont see oil booming anymore like it used to be. if one has an engineering or geoscience background, its better to consider other options. The same Norway is also banning use of cars than run on gasolime by 2025. I expect all EU countries to fall in line too on or before that date.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 7:33pm On Apr 16, 2017
niyogeol:
Hello Starflux. Any idea what Profs look at in giving one PhD position over there?
Not sure. I do know that ideally you'll need a B average from your master’s to be considered (at least in some institutions), but beyond that I only know that the project outline (as always I guess) is extremely important. Having some publications doesn't hurt either.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by trilobite: 9:29pm On Apr 16, 2017
niyogeol:
Hello Trilobite, I can see you also a geoscientist, welcome on board. Have you applied or just intend applying?

the latter. eying 2018.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by osic(m): 11:36pm On Apr 16, 2017
trilobite:

depending on the course.

Agricultural related courses
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Nobody: 11:34pm On Apr 17, 2017
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by trilobite: 11:24am On Apr 19, 2017
niyogeol:

Regards.

please what was your CGP?
can a fellow granite PM you?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by tommybright: 6:25am On Apr 20, 2017
EMMAACHILE:

Pls I need the contact of someone who studies there I'm about to apply, I won't stress the person, I promise, just some few Up to date things will be really appreciated....
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by osic(m): 8:43pm On Apr 20, 2017
Guys do you think someone with a certificate from an open university in Nigeria can be considered and granted admission??
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Uchboggy(m): 10:42am On Apr 27, 2017
Guys who has observed that the amount required to be sent to the school has increased from 109k nok to 111600 nok on UDI site? Conflicting figures. What do the gurus advise?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by philoxy4: 2:41pm On Apr 27, 2017
Uchboggy:
Guys who has observed that the amount required to be sent to the school has increased from 109k nok to 111600 nok on UDI site? Conflicting figures. What do the gurus advise?

UiT has advised prospective students of the change,and their website has been updated accordingly.
Am afraid we will have to get the required sum.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by frank043(m): 2:53pm On Apr 27, 2017
Bandeco:

All jobs (no matter how menial) in Norway pays well and is sufficient for a comfortable living.

Thanks for replying this post and replying well. Please, how much on the average does these menial jobs pay? Thanks again

(1) (2) (3) ... (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) ... (154) (Reply)

General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.