Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,859 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:33 PM

What Do You Think Of America? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Do You Think Of America? (22323 Views)

Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians / What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Go Down)

What Do You Think Of America? by Tsuki(f): 10:31pm On Oct 05, 2006
ok i live in the us and have always wondered what other countries thought about us
soo tell me what ya think
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Ugwumba(m): 10:40pm On Oct 05, 2006
Tsuki:

ok i live in the us and have always wondered what other countries thought about us
soo tell me what ya think

arrogant and full of sh*t. also think anyone not in the US wants to be there. angry angry
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Hotstepper(f): 7:03pm On Oct 08, 2006
full of crap, nuthing is dere as they hype mit, sef-centered and egoitsical country
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by mrmetoo(m): 7:22pm On Oct 08, 2006
Although I live here right now, I think Americans could be very arrogant and ignorant. They have the idea they own the world and everything revolves around them. During the Israel/Lebanon war someone actually called in to C-SPAN radio to complain that he was tired of using Americans tax-payer's money to fund the war. I thought that was ignorant and stupid because the U.S. didn't have any hand in funding the war. It just shows how some think everything revolves around them. Another thing is, don't know if I should say its good or bad but the government is very protective of their own economy/people/country even at other peoples' safety/expense (Take a look at Iraq). At least its way better than governments that don't seem to care for their country and its people at all (Leaders of Nigeria for example)
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by roflmao: 7:51pm On Oct 08, 2006
Yea,yea,yea, whutver

Screw every other country, ,including Nigeria, screw 'em all. USA = G.O.A.T
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by lewa(m): 8:33pm On Oct 08, 2006
Yea yea- the average Joe knows next to nuthin about other places in the world.
So?This is the only place in the world you can be all u wanna be- God on ur side
Joe knows that his country has got his backside- so u could call him an arrogant
myopic and rude tourist,ie if he ever travels. What of you-wetin ur country fit do for you.
Try go ur consulate for New York or Toronto go see for urself. ABEG STOP STEREOTYPING.
The world thinks we a nation of crooks by the way- move on to something productive and leave
Joe alone,
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by soulpatrol(f): 10:41pm On Oct 08, 2006
in a terrorist-like voice death to the U.S.A, i spit on em, haaaaaak ptuuuah ptuuuah.  angry
i'm just kidding oooooooo grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by BigB11(m): 12:04am On Oct 10, 2006
I've been everywhere, but there is no place like United States. The foundation, the structure, the strategy, the mind set, the life style, the standard of living, the tradition, the civilization, the leadership standard, the accessibility and so on are untouchable.

There is hope for everybody. As long as you're focused, smart and you keep your noise clean, sky is the limit.

Eventhough the current government is not completely competent, but other than that, lovely people (black or white) and lovely land.

I view United States as another world; Nothing is better.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Odeku(m): 12:07am On Oct 10, 2006
Intersting Mr bigb1 are you aware of the ceiling glass in American cooporate society, you can strive all you want as long as you are blacks there are still barriers to over come, but USA is a wonderful place.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Ndipe(m): 12:27am On Oct 10, 2006
A fantasy land in today's world where dreams are fulfilled, freedom of speech reigns with no persecution and a chance to share in the national cake.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by BigB11(m): 2:09am On Oct 10, 2006
Don't get it twisted, folks; at the end of the day, Nigeria is still my home.

Home sweet home, there is nothing like the milk from mum's breast.

May God bless Nigeria.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Hotstepper(f): 2:36am On Oct 10, 2006
@LEWA, i don't get wat u said, can't explain better
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by lewa(m): 2:59am On Oct 10, 2006
@Hotstepper,
ie God Bless America.Finito
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Hotstepper(f): 3:20am On Oct 10, 2006
hahhaha, good oh, so wud up with da new york or toronto in between da sentence tongue
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by BigB11(m): 10:13pm On Oct 10, 2006
ODEKU: what is ceiling glass?

you mean glass ceiling?
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Free(f): 12:50am On Oct 11, 2006
America
hmmm where do i start

is a land of opportunity
very diverse
full of ignorants (who no noting bout the rest of the world)
hypocrisy

they think they got the whole world in their hands
want to control everyone

dont know the diffrence bettween fear and respect
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Free(f): 12:53am On Oct 11, 2006
ooh one last thing
America is a Big Bully angry grin
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by lewa(m): 6:52pm On Oct 11, 2006
God knows that some people casting aspersions on yankee slept for days on Walter Carrington
queing for visa-its now they know that its a country of arrogant people tongue
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by nilla(f): 6:59pm On Oct 11, 2006
lots of things to say but very little time so i will come back later

the GOOD = very well planned country
the BAD = a majority of them are very ignorant: when they think of the world they are referring to themselves usually.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Odeku(m): 10:56pm On Oct 11, 2006
Well its the culture, I don't blame the people but in all, America is a land of opportunity the shy is the limit. you can be whatever you want to be with little barriers.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by soulpatrol(f): 12:52am On Oct 12, 2006
America has its good and bad sides just like every other country. but i think they're a bit too full of themselves and thats because to whom much is given, much is expected. theyve always been the ones to come to the aid of countries in trouble, most countries look up to them and follow their example. they are the ones helping war-torn countries, providing weapons of mass destruction and all. and its true that theyre ignorant about whats going on outside the world, because theyre comfy and happy now, so why should they bother? also they think that when they do something, it will become adopted all over the world, irrespective of who invented it - "its right if its white".
u cant help but love them for the good things though - freedom of speech (which will get you in trouble in naija), equal rights, good living conditions, realizing your dreams through hard work and stuff like that. so i dont blame them for having a big head at all.
but then again, other countries are hating on them because theyre arrogant in their ways. and trust them, theyre not apologetic about it.
the thing i find still shocking though is the matter of racism. in this day and age and after centuries of what our forefathers went through, one would think that people could live harmoniously, but nooo, racism is still there in your face, one has to struggle twice as hard for anything if they aint white. and America is supposed to be a "civilized" country. that really beats my mind.  undecided
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by adconline(m): 8:20am On Dec 11, 2006
the only country where you dare not dream  forever but shall become if you are focused and hard working. a country which epitomizes, human dignity, modern civilization, compassion and lots more. Its  is a country of excessiveness.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Easyy(m): 6:19pm On Dec 11, 2006
lewa:

God knows that some people casting aspersions on yankee slept for days on Walter Carrington
queing for visa-its now they know that its a country of arrogant people tongue

the fact they tried to get there should not stop them from expressing their opinions, or should it?
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by TayoD(m): 1:56pm On Dec 12, 2006
How many of you have met and lived with or had any form of relationships with Americans to be making all these conclusions? Or are your conclusions just based on Hollywood and CNN reports?
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Easyy(m): 2:39pm On Dec 12, 2006
TayoD:

How many of you have met and lived with or had any form of relationships with Americans to be making all these conclusions? Or are your conclusions just based on Hollywood and CNN reports?

How many Americans have been to places about which they also form opinions? lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Of America? by darlingbas(m): 2:44pm On Dec 12, 2006
I think Us is the best place anyone can be, I've been almost everywhere in the world i dont think theres anywhere that could be compared to the states, God bless America
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by TayoD(m): 3:29pm On Dec 12, 2006
How many Americans have been to places about which they also form opinions?
Where are the opinions? Beside, this is not about America forming an opinion but about Nairalanders forming one.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Easyy(m): 5:08pm On Dec 13, 2006
TayoD:

Where are the opinions? Beside, this is not about America forming an opinion but about Nairalanders forming one.

Are nairalanders not allowed to form opinions based on whatever they believe?
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by TayoD(m): 5:21pm On Dec 13, 2006
@Easyy,

Are Nairaland users not allowed to form opinions based on whatever they believe?

No one ever implied what you have said above. Rather, I have only pointed out what I believe is a fact: most, if not all those who have expressed opinions, either good or bad, have no experiential knowledge of who an average American is. Most of the submissions I guess, are probably from the news media and Hollywood.

If such criteria is used for generalising Nigerians, then I guess we will all be regarded as 419ers and as fetish people.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by 4Play(m): 2:12am On Dec 14, 2006
It is amazing that Nigerians in particular and Black people in general who have been at the receiving end of crude stereotyping will resort to the same stereotyping when given the opportunity.

People never miss any opportunity to bash America.

A neutral person will laugh at the irony of Nigerians mocking the United States
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by LoverBwoy(m): 5:59am On Dec 14, 2006
TayoD:

@Easyy,

No one ever implied what you have said above. Rather, I have only pointed out what I believe is a fact: most, if not all those who have expressed opinions, either good or bad, have no experiential knowledge of who an average American is. Most of the submissions I guess, are probably from the news media and Hollywood.

If such criteria is used for generalising Nigerians, then I guess we will all be regarded as 419ers and as fetish people.

most of the opinions expressed were by people living in or have lived in america.
Re: What Do You Think Of America? by Jakumo(m): 6:47am On Dec 14, 2006
The first thing that struck me about America was the sheer size of the place. Stepping outside into the street at JFK airport in New York, the road and the cars plying it looked several times bigger than those I'd left behind in England. When I settled in Southern California those five-lane freeways really caught my imagination, though it was a good while before I got up the nerve to cruise those freeways even after I had acquired my driving license.

And those freeways took me to all the places that made my jaw drop in wonder, from the sun-drenched beaches swarming with bikini clad beauties to the snow-capped San Bernardino and San Gabriel mountains where I learned to ski, and where I enjoyed some of the most exhilarating evenings of my life floating down flood-lit slopes during flurries of dry snow so light that it bollowed off in huge plumes with every turn of the skis.

I learned in the engineering college of the university I attended that Americans can be the most focused academic strivers, who let little distract them from the goal of getting that degree as fast as possible and with the best grades, and I learned that racist attitudes melt away in the face of proven performance whether in an academic or a professional setting. Some of the "top guns" in my engineering classes were of Vietnamese or Chinese descent, but they were greatly respected and consulted by all for their academic determination and awesome brilliance in exams.

And there I suppose lies one of the central pillars of the American mindset. Any individual who works hard to rise above whatever perceived obstacles exist in that society will EARN the respect of their peers, and will surely find their own place in the sun, in the land that I will call the greatest on earth no matter where my travels take me, and for as long as I live.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20)

Drug Trafficking, Fraudulent Activities Responsible For Visa Ban - Seychelles VP / International Flights To Resume On September 5 / Dilapidated Nature Of Ijoko Road, Ifo LG And Itoki Road In Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.